Summer Work Post MSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So things fell through for me this summer for the research job I was hoping to have; I'm now wondering if it's necessary to do something this summer (post MSI) or if it's more worth it for me to just study/review for boards/school? I'm interested in EM and worry that since its increasing in competitiveness, I'd get a "well what did you do that summer" question and would have to answer "study" and look bad... but others are telling me that summer work doesn't matter that much..
opinions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I backpacked through Central America the summer between first and second year and I somehow managed to match. :) Seriously, though, I never got a single question about what I did the summer between first and second year during any of my interviews. Remember, this is the last summer vacation you'll ever have; keep that in mind and take advantage of your free time by doing something you've always wanted to do but never had the time for (travel, summer intensive language course in Spanish, learn to scuba dive, etc).

I don't think studying for boards over the summer almost a year before boards will be high yield for you. Relax or work would be my suggestion. I did an internship through the school so I had money for rent for the summer. At our school atleast you won't be getting any loan dispersements during the summer since school is not in session, for stafford atleast.