Surviving on a Resident's Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My colleague told me that his kid's program doesn't offer moonlighting so that was the reason for the stipend. How common is moonlighting availability after the PGY-2 year? I assume by PGY-3 the resident could just moonlight to make the extra $1400? I really do understand NOT asking for handouts post medical school but I bet this scenario may become more common soon because of the massive increase in housing costs.

I also suspect renting a very nice apartment without any roommates is the reason for the stipend. Rent can exceed $2500 per month pretty easily in some cities.
Your colleague’s kid is spoiled. That’s what is happening. He or she is used to mom and dad footing the bill and living in nice places so can’t fathom living in a cheaper environment. The reason for that? Daddy and Mommy. Enablers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is what 2000 would get you in Boston. I don’t think I have particularly high taste/standards but it looks grim to say the least. Keep in mind these are likely cherry-picked photos to make the apartments look as nice as possible

I am sorry but other than apartment number three what’s so “grim” about these places?
Did many of y’all start making coin and forget where you came from or did you already grow up high income.
Those are nicer than the apartments I lived in as a student.

Reactions: 1 user
I am sorry but other than apartment number three what’s so “grim” about these places?
Did many of y’all start making coin and forget where you came from or did you already grow up high income.
Those are nicer than the apartments I lived in as a student.
A few of these are also in dangerous areas like dorchester/Roxbury.

Boylston st is nice but that one is 300 sqrt ft. It’s listed as 0 bedroom 1 bath

Members don't see this ad :)
A few of these are also in dangerous areas like dorchester/Roxbury.

Boylston st is nice but that one is 300 sqrt ft. It’s listed as 0 bedroom 1 bath

Studio right?

Don’t know the neighborhoods, but they all seem reasonable by NYC standards. The price you pay for not getting a roommate.

Reactions: 2 users
I made it on 34/35/36k a year in a major top 5 city with high housing cost 20 years ago. It’s doable. Get a roommate. We worked 120 hours in icu as well q2 and q3 36 hour shifts (depending if anyone was on vacation). Worked 70-85 hours in Or

Rent was $1800/month Back than for a “nice” 2 bedroom apt in the city. I chose a average 2 bedroom apt for $1400 and got a roommate. Honestly those were fun times we still had money to go out. We worked hard. Played hard.

This current group of gen z/Millenials are simply weak. I’m sorry to say that. Even my good ortho buddy who’s similar age as me hired a new ortho spine millennial doc for his private practice. And the new ortho spine doc is annoyed he has to even 3 days of beeper call (all weekday) . And my buddy who is the owner is taking 15 days of calls.

Many American families live off of much less than 60k or whatever residency is paying in 2022. I lived off almost half.

Poverty is defined as around 11-14k for one person and 45-48k for family of four (Obamacare rules limiting subsidy to 400% of poverty) give or take.

Yes if ur parents can help out. Than that’s a luxury. But many people born after or around 1982 simply do not know what real residency is all about

They changed the work hours right around 2004. Obviously some programs still fudge the numbers. But it’s extremely rare to have any anesthesia residency program hit 120 hours in icu. Do it kids for 8-16 weeks. You will find out you won’t be spending any money at all cause you are busy working.
*angry old man noises*

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

I’ll never understand the problem the older generation has with people seeking better quality of life and not wanting to live impoverished or like a college student in their 30s or not wanting their entire life to be work after years of hard work getting to and out of med school/residency. Imagine being in your 30s and needing a roommate to live decently. Some people are tired of living like a college student and some people have families to support. Resident salaries aren’t the greatest depending on COL in some areas. Be angry at that and not at people wanting a decent lifestyle after years of not having it due to school. If I was in a position to help my kid be comfortable in residency then I wouldn’t mind helping them with a stipend to do so until they’re finished with residency. As someone already pointed out, they’re not sitting in their parents basement eating snacks and playing video games all day. 🙄 if they’re in training and simply want the peace of their own place in a safe area without the bother of roommate then that’s not asking the world. If their parents are ok with helping with that then that’s their business. People don’t have to suffer through something just because you did or live the way you did just because you want them to. People are so dramatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Where was housing 1800 a month in 2002? That is like 3200 in today’s dollars.
True. I made 34-36k and 2 bedroom apt rent was $1400 (with roommate was $700/momth)

Now same apartment is $3000 I just checked 10 min from hospital. Salary for pgy2-4 is 65-71k now!

So on a 70k salary. They should be able to afford a $3000 a month 2 bedroom apt and have a roommate and STILL have more money leftover than me adjusted to my time.

I’m actually envious of people who are daddy’s special boy. You come out of college and med school with no debt. Weekend lake houses to relax during your off time. Country club membership really helps fine tune your golf game to prepare you for your retirement.

My parents bought me dinner when I graduated residency. I feel good about coming from lower middle class but don’t think for a second I wouldn’t have appreciated the finer things in life growing up.

Reactions: 7 users
*angry old man noises*

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

I’ll never understand the problem the older generation has with people seeking better quality of life and not wanting to live impoverished or like a college student in their 30s or not wanting their entire life to be work after years of hard work getting to and out of med school/residency. Imagine being in your 30s and needing a roommate to live decently. Some people are tired of living like a college student and some people have families to support. Resident salaries aren’t the greatest depending on COL in some areas. Be angry at that and not at people wanting a decent lifestyle after years of not having it due to school. If I was in a position to help my kid be comfortable in residency then I wouldn’t mind helping them with a stipend to do so until they’re finished with residency. As someone already pointed out, they’re not sitting in their parents basement eating snacks and playing video games all day. 🙄 if they’re in training and simply want the peace of their own place in a safe area without the bother of roommate then that’s not asking the world. If their parents are ok with helping with that then that’s their business. People don’t have to suffer through something just because you did or live the way you did just because you want them to. People are so dramatic.
I’m not that old. Lol. Residency is from age 26-30 for most of us. It’s still a fun time for most of us single people. Most of us get married ages 26-35 these days.

Having roommates age 26-28 isn’t a big deal. Especially having a roommate

What’s funny is the girls (ladies) upstairs from us all had their own 1 bedroom apartment for $1100 at the time. Cause girls like their own Living space. But always hung out at our apartment.

But that’s a personal choice one makes. It was like friends apartment living except less glamorous. But lots of medical residents in the same building.

It’s was a fun time. We worked long hours but made great friends who I still meet up once in a while even though most of us move away.

But to complain about money and rents when you are getting 60k-70k is just being spoiled.

My spouse is younger and she’s clearly in the Millennial generation. You would think 6 plus years age difference wouldn’t make too much of a difference. But her College was paid for. Cars given at graduation. Lived solo during college years.

It’s just a different mindset growing up.

It seems a little silly that a single resident would need financial support to live, though as long as your colleague is OK with giving money to his kid, more power to him.

My two oldest kids are 24 and 22, both recently out of school, working full time, each earning a fair bit less than the average $70K+ resident. They are both single and share a 2br townhouse in a MCOL city. They drive inexpensive but fairly new cars. We helped them out financially at first but they're positive in their cash flow and savings. I fund their Roths (I think of this as less financial support but rather tax-favorable early intergenerational wealth transfer, and investing education). They're also still on our auto insurance policies but that'll be the final cord to cut.

They don't NEED me but they're independent and they work hard and I like helping them along.

There's nothing wrong with being a self-made bootstrapper who never got any help, but just keep in mind that the upper classes in this country are mostly not 1st-generation upper class people, because well off parents boost their kids ... and the boosting doesn't get cut off when they step out for college.

There's a difference between enabling a lazy layabout no-good slacker, and adding a bit of comfort or luxury to the life of a hardworking kid (adult) you want to see get ahead. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a resident is probably in the latter category.

Reactions: 13 users
Studio right?

Don’t know the neighborhoods, but they all seem reasonable by NYC standards. The price you pay for not getting a roommate.
300 is a studio? I might be underestimating the size but I thought studio was usually 700ish

This thread feels grim for a med student with a spouse and two young kids.

“Make it easy on yourself and don’t have kids until you get settled” is my advice to my kid. She has other mentors who tell her stuff like “don’t get married until you’re 30.” I don’t disagree.

“Make it easy on yourself and don’t have kids until you get settled” is my advice to my kid. She has other mentors who tell her stuff like “don’t get married until you’re 30.” I don’t disagree.
That’s a tough proposition for people that will be in long residencies in their 30s, especially for women that want children.

Members don't see this ad :)
300 is a studio? I might be underestimating the size but I thought studio was usually 700ish
700sqft is a decent size 1 bedroom apartment in HCOL cities. My studio is 520 sqft, and it is considered a very spacious one. I don't know if I can even fully furnish a 700 sqft studio :rofl: That is a lot more space than what I am used to :)

Reactions: 3 users
@narcotics999 It’s definitely something I’m worried about. If I don’t start a family during residency then there’s a good chance it won’t happen after residency which is a depressing thought.

I literally cannot imagine asking anyone for money to help me with my living expenses during residency. Already, it was the most money I had EVER made in my life. I am married and had 3 kids prior to residency. We keep a tight budget. My wife stays home with the kids. If a family member had offered to pay "$x" toward my mortgage/rent each month with no strings attached, I would gladly welcome it (not reality here). But even then, if I was already receiving that help, I would NEVER have the audacity to ask for MORE money from the already overly generous family member. This person is crazy. I think this resident referenced in the OP needs to get their act together, get on a budget, and learn to live off their own earnings without depending on anyone else to bail them out. Sounds like they need a little lesson about spending less than you earn, even if that means compromising on housing or on doing things you'd like to do.

Reactions: 3 users

No perfect time to have kids. Especially for physicians. There is always something hanging over us.

Women definitely have a biological clock and so do men to an extent.

If I waited for the perfect time, it would be years (finished my general boards and sub specialty board exams recently and I finally feel done with everything). My wife would be 35 years old+ and I would be nearly 40.

Reactions: 4 users
No perfect time to have kids. Especially for physicians. There is always something hanging over us.

If I waited for the perfect time, it would be years (finished my general boards and sub specialty board exams recently and I finally feel done with everything). My wife would be 35 years old+ and I would be nearly 40.

Yes that’s true. I think close to half my friends have used IVF. Suffer when you’re young or suffer later.

I think that advice about not having kids until everything is all settled works for people who only go for a bachelors for their career. Medicine just takes far too much of a persons lifetime to put having a family on hold unfortunately. It’s sad that people can’t feel comfortable having a family in residency after dedicating so many years to education. I feel like for that reason alone medical education needs to be revamped. People shouldn’t feel the need to put their entire life on hold outside of medicine just to be a doctor. At the end of the day it’s a job and there’s more to life than work.

Reactions: 5 users
First off let me say I think residents should get paid more. Programs are expanding without medicare funding because residents save them money compared to attending and APPs. Academic medical centers are behaving more and more like private practices, expanding and focusing on the bottom line, perhaps at the expense of their resident experience. If residents can unionize and get that (somewhat larger but still very small) bag, then I support it 100%

That said, no single resident should struggle or take out loans if they are solo without additional financial obligations. Live with a roommate. Eat out less. Resident salary is close to the median HOUSEHOLD income, so it should be doable.

Now if you're supporting kids, parents, etc on your salary alone that could be a big stretch. childcare or eldercare costs will eat up most of or all of a resident salary. I'm a lot more willing to compromise on my house/apartment then I am on my kids safety, childcare situation, school, etc.

62k salary in a medium COL city. $1500/mo rent. Single, living alone. It is right at the 1/3rd of income limit, which I kind of wanted to avoid but rent went up >30% in my city in the last year and having roommates is very risky for quality of life at this point (AKA sleep). It was difficult to find this place. I will be able to save modestly, while eating out 1-2x/month, visiting family across the country maybe 2x/year. I chose to highly rank an affordable city with a favorable resident income, and moonlighting availability. I acknowledge I am amongst the most ideal fiancial situation you can get (short of ongoing familial financial support). For someone like me who is financially motivated and with relatively few costs/very limited lifestyle creep (I don't have a dishwasher, a TV, a gaming system) to be able to save just a little, I believe is indicative of a true problem.

For all of you "we made it work in my day!!!" people, I can begin to relate to how you feel, as a millennial now witnessing behavior of typical zoomers. I think (and hope) a lot of the current worker's rights thinking in medicine is grounded in the mindset that corporations just suck. In my lifetime they've ruined the internet/socialization of young people, raided the US govt's VA and funds for a war via private contracting, poisoned minds via infotainment, contributed to deteriorating population health via both food and drug shortcuts and advertising, persisted in destruction of the environment, are ruining healthcare, and largely abandonded loyalty to employees. There is probably a lot less deference towards employers as a result, as there should be. Also, though I think there are a few factors that make things different than say 20 years ago. The current average resident salary is truly exploitative. I don't think the spending habits of young people is the issue to focus on. It is peanuts compared to the exploitation we go through.

1. The cost of everything has gone up disproportionately to the increase in income (not just the rent vs income equation). I don't think it stretches as far as it used to.
2. Students are on average older. I will be mid 30s when graduating residency, for example. I have grinded through so many absolute crap apartments for the last decade (getting into med school took me a while- I lived in a 150 sq ft apt for years), and always took pride in preventing lifestyle creep... but as people age they tend to want a quiet place to sleep, close to work, without bugs. They also probably have more family on average given the increased age.
3. For non-PGY-1s, debt burden/payments is way more significant than it used to be. I have 250k after 15k assistance during school from family due to a bit leftover from an undergrad plan.
4. There is a more direct comparator to what a corporation values a resident's work at. Midlevels, who often operate in some type of similar capacity as a resident. They are less trained, make a lot more, and work a lot less. In addition to this, CMS PAYS somewhere in the ballpark of 90-110k per resident per year. The exploitation is much clearer due to this.

The last thought I'd like to write down is that generations "going soft" and subsequently bankrupting society of something (fiscal responsibility or morality) is a concept I don't totally wholesale disagree with... but wanting residents --who have spent their entire lives working very hard who are also creating a ton of value for a hospital system (on average)-- to be happy with "what they have", is idiotic. Even if you went through worse. These are probably the people in society you should worry the LEAST about with regards to generational laziness or whatever. Everything is more competitive than 20 years ago (there are billions more people), and we worked on average harder to get here than prior students. I read every day on here about how corporations are screwing you over in anesthesiology. Their exploited resident employees are also not the problem.

Last edited:
  • Care
I'm finishing up my last week as a resident. I have to say tho, Covid provided a boost in quality of life that we are paying for now.

Two years ago, I was able to get a normally $3500 a month penthouse with 1300sq, all windows and a balcony overlooking the city for $2400. I split that with my girlfriend. So I effectively paid $1200 and later $1300 a month for an extremely nice place these past two years.

I also leased a $50,000 SUV for $310 a month with no money down (this was when leases were still cheap).

Cooked all meals, but ate fish twice a week and any fruit/vegetable we wanted.

Took vacations across the country 3x-4x a year.

With stimulus checks and saving on going out, I maxed out my ROTH every year and contributed to the 403b with match.

However, you can't do any of these things today. My apartment is going back on the market for nearly $4000 now.... The car market is absolute trash and the equivalent lease for my car would be $600 with $3000 down. Inflation is going to destroy incoming residents.

Midwest city ~1 mil. University program. Take home $4200 after tax, etc. About to begin CA3 year where moonlighting usually nets you an extra $3,000-$4,000 a month at the gig I am starting. Wife works one day a week and stays at home the rest of the time to take care of our one year old. Usually takes home another $1,500 a month. So living off $9k a month. We are very fortunate. Residency is hard, but medicine has been good to us.

Midwest city ~1 mil. University program. Take home $4200 after tax, etc. About to begin CA3 year where moonlighting usually nets you an extra $3,000-$4,000 a month at the gig I am starting. Wife works one day a week and stays at home the rest of the time to take care of our one year old. Usually takes home another $1,500 a month. So living off $9k a month. We are very fortunate. Residency is hard, but medicine has been good to us.
How do you figure out the extent to which a residency is moonlight friendly? Never seems to be obvious from the website

I'm finishing up my last week as a resident. I have to say tho, Covid provided a boost in quality of life that we are paying for now.

Two years ago, I was able to get a normally $3500 a month penthouse with 1300sq, all windows and a balcony overlooking the city for $2400. I split that with my girlfriend. So I effectively paid $1200 and later $1300 a month for an extremely nice place these past two years.

I also leased a $50,000 SUV for $310 a month with no money down (this was when leases were still cheap).

With stimulus checks and saving on going out, I maxed out my ROTH every year and contributed to the 403b with match.

However, you can't do any of these things today. My apartment is going back on the market for nearly $4000 now.... The car market is absolute trash and the equivalent lease for my car would be $600 with $3000 down. Inflation is going to destroy incoming residents.
THANK YOU. This is what my colleague's young adult is saying in that very high COL area. The plan is to maintain the stipend for PGY-2 then reduce it by half or eliminate it completely in PGY-3. The salary increase of PGY-3 is enough to cover the extra cost of the single bedroom, 900 Sq foot apartment in a safe part of the city.

So, this isn't a perpetual handout but rather a 24 month stipend to compensate for the increase in rent and high inflation. Yes, the young female resident could live with roommates but she prefers her own place in a safe part of the city. What is the point of being a middle-age, private practice attending making over $550K every year if you can't help your kids out? My colleague even did some extra shifts/locums to bring in an extra $50K just to help his kids. This is the type of person who never does any extra calls or shifts so I think the plan to eliminate the subsidy is a real one. My colleague had budgeted well for the cost of college and med school but never planned for this high inflationary environment with huge rent increases.

I would imagine residents in certain parts of the country getting really hurt by these price increases especially where the cost of living is disproportionately higher than the typical resident salary for the area (Florida and Miami/Tampa/Orlando in particular).

My old apartment, which was kind of crappy but had nice view, previously leased for $1675. It easily took up an entire paycheck per month. It’s now $3000. I think a two bedroom is at least $3500. Note that these are basically floor prices in Miami in a basic, safe neighborhood.

UM/Jackson was at least pretty good about giving us moonlighting opportunities. But it’s kind of a drag when you are essentially required to moonlight to survive.

With the cost of housing surging the past 2 years I was wondering how some of you are holding up on a resident's salary. Housing costs have skyrocketed and the cost of food, gas, etc has all increased dramatically while your pay is pretty much the same.

Are any of you having to borrow money to pay expenses? Does your program offer in-house moonlighting? Are you sharing an apartment or house with others?

My colleague is still supporting his PGY-1 kid with a housing stipend of $1200 per month. The "kid" has asked for an increase to $1400 per month for expenses to help cover the PGY-2 year. How common is this scenario?

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic as I am showing my age as it regards this subject matter.
I lived with my fiance in her mothers house. She had a beautiful 3500 sq foot log cabin on 6 acres in a national forest and she lived alone. So we lived with her and we lived very well on our combined salaries. Took at least one and sometimes 2 solid vacations per year. I could not complain. I also went to a program that worked the $zhit outta me. That was my major gripe during residency. Not my income.

I lived with my fiance in her mothers house. She had a beautiful 3500 sq foot log cabin on 6 acres in a national forest and she lived alone. So we lived with her and we lived very well on our combined salaries. Took at least one and sometimes 2 solid vacations per year. I could not complain. I also went to a program that worked the $zhit outta me. That was my major gripe during residency. Not my income.
Did you anesthetize bears? How long was your commute?

Isn’t this not really too much different than taking money from a parent though?

Isn’t this not really too much different than taking money from a parent though?

It’s pretty common in other cultures to live with parents until you get established on your own or to help out your kids if you can afford it.

One of my partners lived with his parents for 3-4 years after he became an attending in order to save money. Another one of my partners was given a blue water ocean view house in La Jolla by his parents.

Last edited:
I chose a program with training in mind, but also moonlighting opportunities. I grossed > 100k as a CA2 and CA3. I have a stay at home wife and two kids entering residency and four kids leaving residency. Without the moonlight, we would have been hurting. But, we budgeted well, I worked hard, and it worked out. I had opportunities in larger cities that I passed on given our desire for a large family. You can't have it all.

Its a good bit different in my opinion. I would never have asked a parent to give me money so I could live somewhere else. But if a single parent has a massive home thats essentially empty and they invite me to live there during a tight time, I see nothing wrong with that. I offered to pay bills while was there, she vehemently refused. I did finish her entire "room above garage" and remodeled the entire second floor from the bottom up (including 2 bathrooms), and put in a new floor downstairs etc. So no I would say its different from asking parents for rent money. I think theres hardly a legit reason to ask your parents for that these days unless you are a resident in NYC or San fran in unsubsidized living situations.

Did you anesthetize bears? How long was your commute?
Well, I shot and killed an alligator that was going after my dog one time. Woke up to a bat flying around in the bedroom twice. Killed a copperhead once. Lots of Coyotes. The commute was like 30 mins going in 45 coming back.

Its a good bit different in my opinion. I would never have asked a parent to give me money so I could live somewhere else. But if a single parent has a massive home thats essentially empty and they invite me to live there during a tight time, I see nothing wrong with that. I offered to pay bills while was there, she vehemently refused. I did finish her entire "room above garage" and remodeled the entire second floor from the bottom up (including 2 bathrooms), and put in a new floor downstairs etc. So no I would say its different from asking parents for rent money. I think theres hardly a legit reason to ask your parents for that these days unless you are a resident in NYC or San fran in unsubsidized living situations.
Why do you feel it’s different? You essentially got to live somewhere rent free during residency which allowed you a more comfortable lifestyle than you other wise would have had compared to other residents who had to pay for their own place to live with multiple roommates without parental help. It’s still parental aid. Whether that parent is letting you live with them or helping you pay a bill to be more comfortable, it’s still not a lifestyle you would have had without their help. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that but it’s certainly the same to me because y’all could have gotten your own place but chose not to for more comfort.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that

If both parties are willing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. My parents helped me out when I was young. (I bought my first car when I was 32-33. All my preceding cars were given to me.) I help my child. Although it doesn’t seem SDN approved and against American lore (“self made man”) there is nothing wrong with helping your child. That’s how families with means have always operated.

Last edited:
If both parties are willing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. My parents helped me out when I was young. I help my child.
Agreed. My parents currently help me out while in med school and I’d do the same for my kids.

Why do you feel it’s different? You essentially got to live somewhere rent free during residency which allowed you a more comfortable lifestyle than you other wise would have had compared to other residents who had to pay for their own place to live with multiple roommates without parental help. It’s still parental aid. Whether that parent is letting you live with them or helping you pay a bill to be more comfortable, it’s still not a lifestyle you would have had without their help. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that but it’s certainly the same to me because y’all could have gotten your own place but chose not to for more comfort.
I feel its different because I wasnt asking for monetary help. She had a home that wasnt being well utilized. She let us live there. I cleaned, and cooked, remodeled and maintained her home. I come from a contracting background. How is it that you dont see how thats different from asking your parents for rent money? :unsure:

I feel its different because I wasnt asking for monetary help. She had a home that wasnt being well utilized. She let us live there. I cleaned, and cooked, remodeled and maintained her home. I come from a contracting background. How is it that you dont see how thats different from asking your parents for rent money? :unsure:
Because you relied on her home to support a more comfortable lifestyle. One could even argue you added to her bills in terms of electricity etc. Either way she gave something, i.e. her home, so that you could be more comfortable. I’m not seeing the distinction you’re trying to make in that it’s completely different just because she didn’t physically give you money. It’s still parental help for a more comfortable lifestyle. You could have gotten your own place but chose not to and got help in terms of living in someone else's home, so how is that different? It’s still getting help from a parent.

Because you relied on her home to support a more comfortable lifestyle. One could even argue you added to her bills in terms of electricity etc. Either way she gave something, i.e. her home, so that you could be more comfortable. I’m not seeing the distinction you’re trying to make in that it’s completely different just because she didn’t physically give you money. It’s still parental help for a more comfortable lifestyle. You could have gotten your own place but chose not to and got help in terms of living in someone else's home, so how is that different? It’s still getting help from a parent.
You're missing that I did things in return for said help. And using a room that would have otherwise been completely unutilized is far removed from asking for $1400 a month rent money. How that doesn't compute to you is slightly boggling to me, no offense. In fact she got the better end of the deal. She got her entire home remodeled while I was there. Are you really still confused?

You're missing that I did things in return for said help. And using a room that would have otherwise been completely unutilized is far removed from asking for $1400 a month rent money. How that doesn't compute to you is slightly boggling to me, no offense. In fact she got the better end of the deal. She got her entire home remodeled while I was there. Are you really still confused?
We can agree to disagree then because I really don’t see how you think choosing to rely on a parent for more comfort is different just because you helped them out while living in their home to avoid the full brunt of bills vs asking for financial help outright with bills. It’s all the same to me. If it would have been financially better while full including independence to have your own place then that’s what y’all would have done but you chose to live with her because it netted you a benefit of not struggling financially. You wouldn’t have had that level of comfort without her help.

Last edited:
We can agree to disagree then because I really don’t see how you think choosing to rely on a parent for more comfort is different just because you helped them out while living in their home to avoid the full brunt of bills vs asking for financial help outright with bills. It’s all the same to me. If it would have been financially better to have your own place then that’s what y’all would have done but you chose to live with her because it netted you a benefit of not struggling financially. You wouldn’t have had that level of comfort without her help.
Any idea what a home remodel is worth buddy? Try like at least $100k. So yea its very different from just mooching. It was a lot of hard work. Actually while I was in residency my mother also had the misfortune of suffering a termite infestation. Instead of her paying contractors the quoted $115k+ to repair her home, I repaired it myself. I built temporary support walls and scaffolding in order to hold her home up while I knocked out 9 windows worth of walling, and reframed and rebuilt the whole thing. Took about 4 months with my cousins help. All she had to pay was the cost of materials and new windows (about $10k). Still wanna call me a mooch? Even despite the little help I had I still had a super ****ty time during residency my friend. VERY VERY ****TY. So please, spare me. I have no sympathy for the residents of today. They are more spoiled than ever before. Even the incoming interns had it better than I did by my senior year.

Any idea what a home remodel is worth buddy? Try like at least $100k. So yea its very different from just mooching. It was a lot of hard work. Actually while I was in residency my mother also had the misfortune of suffering a termite infestation. Instead of her paying contractors the quoted $115k+ to repair her home, I repaired it myself. I built temporary support walls and scaffolding in order to hold her home up while I knocked out 9 windows worth of walling, and reframed and rebuilt the whole thing. Took about 4 months with my cousins help. All she had to pay was the cost of materials and new windows (about $10k). Still wanna call me a mooch? Even despite the little help I had I still had a super ****ty time during residency my friend. VERY VERY ****TY. So please, spare me. I have no sympathy for the residents of today. They are more spoiled than ever before. Even the incoming interns had it better than I did by my senior year.
All that to say you stayed with a parent that helped you financially in that way just like any other person getting help from a parent with bills. I literally didn’t call you a mooch and said there’s nothing wrong with getting help. I intend on helping my kids if they need it and they go the medicine route or whatever. Also staying in someone’s home rent free is not a “little help” to me. That’s a lot of help and there’s nothing wrong with that. Your problem is you want to think the type of help you got from a parent is somehow different than another person just because you didn’t ask them to put money towards a bill and I disagree with that. YOU STILL GOT HELP SO YOU COULD LIVE IN A WAY YOU OTHERWISE WOULD NOT HAVE. Agree to disagree and move on 🙄

Imagine calling someone else spoiled while you lived rent free in another persons house during residency. Like that didn’t lift a heavy financial burden by itself. Lmbo what. Something about people in glass houses 😂🥴

All that to say you stayed with a parent that helped you financially in that way just like any other person getting help from a parent with bills. I literally didn’t call you a mooch and said there’s nothing wrong with getting help. I intend on helping my kids if they need it and they go the medicine route or whatever. Also staying in someone’s home rent free is not a “little help” to me. That’s a lot of help and there’s nothing wrong with that. Your problem is you want to think the type of help you got from a parent is somehow different than another person just because you didn’t ask them to put money towards a bill and I disagree with that. YOU STILL GOT HELP SO YOU COULD LIVE IN A WAY YOU OTHERWISE WOULD NOT HAVE. Agree to disagree and move on 🙄

Remodeling is not cheap so he may have indeed paid for it.

Imagine calling someone else spoiled while you lived rent free in another persons house during residency. Like that didn’t lift a heavy financial burden by itself. Lmbo what. Something about people in glass houses 😂🥴
You are completely clueless. But I digress. If you dont understand how its vastly different based on what Ive said by now, you're hopeless. I certainly could have very easily had a place of my own and not asked for a single dime in help. I optimized my situation and helped both my parents and her parents throughout residency. Anywho, the question was, "how did you survive residency given the financial constraints of recent years?" and I gave my answer. You, however, are just trolling at this point.

Remodeling is not cheap so he may have indeed paid for it.
Thank you sir. It definitely paid for it and some. All I was suggesting was that some residents might consider a creative solution regarding a living situation like I did, in order to avoid flat out asking for money.

Last edited: