Surviving on a Resident's Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are completely clueless. But I digress. If you dont understand how its vastly different based on what Ive said by now, you're hopeless. I certainly could have very easily had a place of my own and not asked for a single dime in help. I optimized my situation and helped both my parents and her parents throughout residency. Anywho, the question was, "how did you survive residency given the financial constraints of recent years?" and I gave my answer. You, however, are just trolling at this point.
Nah you’re clueless. Calling someone else spoiled when you got help just like they did. Meanwhile other residents are scraping by and living with multiple roommates without any parental help at all. If you want to minimize the help you got that’s on you. That’s some serious cognitive dissonance though. 😂😮‍💨

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Remodeling is not cheap so he may have indeed paid for it.
He didn’t financially come out of pocket. He “paid” in time and labor if you want to look at it that way but I find myself less prone to do that because my family regularly helps each other similarly when able because it’s just what we do. I do a lot for my family and my parents have supported me financially since I’ve started school. I could easily point to those things I do for them when home as repayment but I don’t feel that’s what it is. I personally don’t see that as payment. It’s just me being a supportive family member. Also what he did is not something she required of him to live there but something he chose to do because she was giving him help. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter but people minimizing the help they got while calling others spoiled rubs me the wrong way.

He didn’t financially come out of pocket. He “paid” in time and labor if you want to look at it that way but I find myself less prone to do that because my family regularly helps each other similarly when able because it’s just what we do. I do a lot for my family and my parents have supported me financially since I’ve started school. I could easily point to those things I do for them when home as repayment but I don’t feel that’s what it is. I personally don’t see that as payment. It’s just me being a supportive family member. Also what he did is not something she required of him to live there but something he chose to do because she was giving him help. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter but people minimizing the help they got while calling others spoiled rubs me the wrong way.
Man you are a relentless word twistor. I received help but I also gave back more than what I received in other ways. Its a viable solution that I would recommend closely examining. My comment about being “spoiled” was referring to todays residents in general, who get payed more than any previous years and get more support in the form of midlevels etc. At least at my program that was definitely the case. So no, I dont feel bad at all about anything I said. I took out loans to cover my entire college and med school education. ENTIRE. I’ll be paying that back for years to come. Oh and I forgot to mention. Ive been paying my mothers mortgage since day one of being an attending. Oh moochey me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man you are a relentless word twistor. I received help but I also gave back more than what I received in other ways. Its a viable solution that I would recommend closely examining. My comment about being “spoiled” was referring to todays residents in general, who get payed more than any previous years and get more support in the form of midlevels etc. At least at my program that was definitely the case. So no, I dont feel bad at all about anything I said. I took out loans to cover my entire college and med school education. ENTIRE. I’ll be paying that back for years to come. Oh and I forgot to mention. Ive been paying my mothers mortgage since day one of being an attending. Oh moochey me.
Lol if you say so. I’m the word twister but here you continuing on about me calling you a moocher when I never said or insinuated that. You paying your mom back now has nothing to do with having a better living situation than most other residents that didn’t have a parents help. I’m not about to continue arguing. We get it, you think you’re better than other people that got help because of the way you got it, and other people are “spoiled”, and you have a guilty conscience when someone challenges that notion hence your fascination with being called a mooch. Lmbo I don’t care. Agree to disagree and move on

Dude, you dont know me or what I did for these people in any single shred of a way. Ive done things for them that are completely personal and life changing. Them giving me a room to live in was the absolute least they could do as a matter of fact. I wont even post about that because its private. You should really rethink judging people the way you do based on a couple of sdn posts. You really dont know me and the way you’re jumping down my throat makes me seriously question your intellect…

Dude, you dont know me or what I did for these people in any single shred of a way. Ive done things for them that are completely personal and life changing. Them giving me a room to live in was the absolute least they could do as a matter of fact. I wont even post about that because its private. You should really rethink judging people the way you do based on a couple of sdn posts. You really dont know me and the way you’re jumping down my throat makes me seriously question your intellect…
Ok 🙄

Also, just because I dont want to hear residents whining about how much money they make or their living situations, I dont think its wrong to accept handouts in any form from loved ones during residency. If they are able and willing to help, by all means, accept. Nothing wrong with it. I do think more inner city programs should have more and better subsidized housing. After interviewing at multiple nyc programs for residency and fellowship, I couldnt rank any of them highly simply due to cost.

If both parties are willing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. My parents helped me out when I was young. (I bought my first car when I was 32-33. All my preceding cars were given to me.) I help my child. Although it doesn’t seem SDN approved and against American lore (“self made man”) there is nothing wrong with helping your child. That’s how families with means have always operated.

I generally agree with you that parents should be able to help their kids the way they see fit.

I do recall reading an article a while back that’s main point was the worst thing you can do for your kid is to help them with a down payment to get them in a more expensive house. Their bills will be higher from higher maintenance, it will raise the standard of living of their friend group (encourage them to keep up with more expensive Jones).

So, I think you can do whatever you want to help your kid, but I think it is best to do things that encourage kids to grow as adults. GIving kids money to live in a nicer place can easily encourage kids to be entitled. People should live within their means. Even if that means living in a situation that would rather not.

I intend on helping my kids (probably more than my folks helped me).

Also, just because I dont want to hear residents whining about how much money they make or their living situations, I dont think its wrong to accept handouts in any form from loved ones during residency. If they are able and willing to help, by all means, accept. Nothing wrong with it. I do think more inner city programs should have more and better subsidized housing. After interviewing at multiple nyc programs for residency and fellowship, I couldnt rank any of them highly simply due to cost.
This is that BS mentality where your barometer of adversity is the gold standard. It's not. Just because you went through much worse, does not mean today's residents deserve anything near that. You didn't deserve it and neither do we. It's not a rite of passage.

It is exploitation of a group in a vulnerable position, because if they don't fall in line, they are screwed. The landscape of medicine is far different now. There isn't the extremely lucrative career awaiting residents that there was when you were around. Perhaps if that were still around, it would be easier to look past how residents are treated.

How on earth you don't frame it as clear exploitation of labor -and focus on that- is beyond me. Instead, you choose to focus having no pity for lazy and complainy people less mature and younger than you are (shocking they're like that- must be a totally unique generational sentiment). As has been the case for all of eternity, peoples' worst moments are what they react the most severely too- whether that's working 70 hours a week or 120, it might look the same for the same person, because it's still their "worst ever" week.

Look at the pay of midlevels, their light workload, and their hours. Hospitals can afford to pay residents much more. The hospitals are more the issue.

Reactions: 1 users
This is that BS mentality where your barometer of adversity is the gold standard. It's not. Just because you went through much worse, does not mean today's residents deserve anything near that. You didn't deserve it and neither do we. It's not a rite of passage.

It is exploitation of a group in a vulnerable position, because if they don't fall in line, they are screwed. The landscape of medicine is far different now. There isn't the extremely lucrative career awaiting residents that there was when you were around. Perhaps if that were still around, it would be easier to look past how residents are treated.

How on earth you don't frame it as clear exploitation of labor -and focus on that- is beyond me. Instead, you choose to focus having no pity for lazy and complainy people less mature and younger than you are (shocking they're like that- must be a totally unique generational sentiment). As has been the case for all of eternity, peoples' worst moments are what they react the most severely too- whether that's working 70 hours a week or 120, it might look the same for the same person, because it's still their "worst ever" week.

Look at the pay of midlevels, their light workload, and their hours. Hospitals can afford to pay residents much more. The hospitals are more the issue.
Whoooa whoaaa where did I say anybody deserves to be exploited? Man I thought this other guy was bad but wow. You broke the meter. Its definitely exploitation. Exploitation that I fought while in residency so that the next generation could have it better. AND THEY DO. I wish I could wave my magic wand of justice and make the fat cats pay. The fact of the matter is, these residents DO have it better than previous generations. And no, I dont want to hear it. We all went through it, we did what we had to, we made sacrifices, we made it work and we are better for it. We all know what we’re getting into when we choose this life. Like it or not, perfect or not, life didnt do this to them. They did this to themselves when they chose this life. Back in the day people LIVED IN the hospital and for a lot less. Things have VASTLY improved for residents. Even since I was in training. Can the hospital afford to pay them more? Maybe. I urge this generation to fight for the next generation for sure, but do it via the proper channels. Make strong cases. Unionize. Get political. Write letters. This is the true way to change. Just know you are up against a mega machine at this point. Going into this thinking the world is going to instantly bend for you, well thats beyond foolish.

Agreed. My parents currently help me out while in med school and I’d do the same for my kids.
I understand both points of view on this thread. I had Med School loans. I had to take a loan out to take my ABA exams and move to my first job. I couldn't afford my own apartment in med school or residency. I know what it feels like to be just able to make ends meet. But, that was 30+ years ago and I am in a different position today. So, should I help my kids out when they need a hand up but not a hand out? Or, should I make them struggle a little like I did?
Before you answer the question I believe the opinion you give will change as your own financial situation changes. If the money you give to your kids is relatively inconsequential vs the benefit is provides my hunch is you are much more likely to give it.

I understand both points of view on this thread. I had Med School loans. I had to take a loan out to take my ABA exams and move to my first job. I couldn't afford my own apartment in med school or residency. I know what it feels like to be just able to make ends meet. But, that was 30+ years ago and I am in a different position today. So, should I help my kids out when they need a hand up but not a hand out? Or, should I make them struggle a little like I did?
Before you answer the question I believe the opinion you give will change as your own financial situation changes. If the money you give to your kids is relatively inconsequential vs the benefit is provides my hunch is you are much more likely to give it.
My strategy is helping but allowing them some skin at risk in their matters and choices. A little struggle, I think, is most definitely good. That being said, there are too many variables in raising another human being for there to be a recipe. You could probably use the same strategy with two different kids, make one a doctor and the other a criminal. Each child is different, with different capabilities and needs. I think really knowing your kids is more important than anything else. Im preaching to the choir. But to quote Jason Statham- “Good judgement comes from good experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.”

Members don't see this ad :)
It honestly doesn’t make sense to me to let any family member struggle just for the sake of doing so. These aren’t little children wasting away their time. They’re driven, highly educated adults that unfortunately don’t even make enough money to be comfortable. To me it’s a no brainer. If I had the ability to help I would. I guess it makes little sense to me also because my family is so supportive and we struggled when I was young. There were several times we were evicted from our apt and there wasn’t enough food to eat. As we got stable and actually started living well they continued to support me even after I graduated high school because they wanted me to focus on education and not have the rough life that we initially had. They didn’t want me taking out loans if they could help it. Everything they’ve done for me up to this point has been in an effort to give me a boost up as far as they possibly can so that I wouldn’t struggle the way they did. This was all under the promise and understanding that I would do the same for my kids when the time came. It just blows my mind that anyone would be ok with their kid living in unsafe housing or struggling or not feeling comfortable in their home when they can easily help just because the person thinks they should struggle like them in the past. I’ll never support that. It’s anti-generational wealth and a crab in the bucket mentality to me. Why have money if you’re not going to use it to at least help your immediate family? Why not boost your family up? Its so confusing to me. I’m not talking about supporting a bum that has nothing going for them either to be clear. They need to be doing something at least.

Reactions: 5 users
It honestly doesn’t make sense to me to let any family member struggle just for the sake of doing so. These aren’t little children wasting away their time. They’re driven, highly educated adults that unfortunately don’t even make enough money to be comfortable. To me it’s a no brainer. If I had the ability to help I would. I guess it makes little sense to me also because my family is so supportive and we struggled when I was young. There were several times we were evicted from our apt and there wasn’t enough food to eat. As we got stable and actually started living well they continued to support me even after I graduated high school because they wanted me to focus on education and not have the rough life that we initially had. They didn’t want me taking out loans if they could help it. Everything they’ve done for me up to this point has been in an effort to give me a boost up as far as they possibly can so that I wouldn’t struggle the way they did. This was all under the promise and understanding that I would do the same for my kids when the time came. It just blows my mind that anyone would be ok with their kid living in unsafe housing or struggling or not feeling comfortable in their home when they can easily help just because the person thinks they should struggle like them in the past. I’ll never support that. It’s anti-generational wealth and a crab in the bucket mentality to me. Why have money if you’re not going to use it to at least help your immediate family? Why not boost your family up? Its so confusing to me. I’m not talking about supporting a bum that has nothing going for them either to be clear. They need to be doing something at least.
Gonna go out on a limb here and guess you dont have kids…? Some amount of struggle teaches resilience, problem solving and creativity. Im not saying pummel your children into learned helplessness. But overprotecting and over-helicoptering is just as detrimental.

Last edited:
Your colleague is welcome to help out his/her adult child. But agree with others who’ve said the “kid” has a spending/lifestyle problem. When times get tough, you have to be able to scale back on your lifestyle. Everyone in the country right now is doing it. This is even true as an attending. Might be a good idea if they figure that out sooner rather than later.

Your colleague is welcome to help out his/her adult child. But agree with others who’ve said the “kid” has a spending/lifestyle problem. When times get tough, you have to be able to scale back on your lifestyle. Everyone in the country right now is doing it. This is even true as an attending. Might be a good idea if they figure that out sooner rather than later.
I think helping out with rent for 2 years in high COL area is reasonable especially when the plan is zero dollars at PGY-3. I do think the better option is moonlighting for the additional money or a cheaper apartment. I am not sure forcing someone to have roommates is a good idea as I really did prefer my own apartment when I could finally afford it.

If he lived with her rent free and never remodeled her house then that would be equivalent. Otherwise what he did sounds like a lot. And while he still got a little help yes, it's not what you are trying to make it out to be. He worked hard on her house and increased her home's value. And how do you know he didn't put any money in it? Maybe he bought some materials on top of sweat equity. Sweat equity is a thing.
As someone on the tail end of remodeling her medium sized house I can tell you, yeah. $100k is about right in today's economy. He sounds like a helpful son in law and I can see why he would say others are spoiled.
The way you handle things in your family is not the same way others handle things. Stop looking at it just from your perspective and saying it's not help simply because that is how your family rolls. That wasn't even his family at that point because they weren't married. In my family that wouldn't fly because you ain't living up in no parents house with a man unless you are married. But I don't say others are wrong when they do it, because what works for one culture or family unit does not work for others. As an adult living in the US you ought to know that.
You are coming off badly on this one.

• Okay...
Gonna go out on a limb here and guess you dont have kids…? Some amount of struggle teaches resilience, problem solving and creativity. Im not saying pummel your children into learned helplessness. But overprotecting and over-helicoptering is just as detrimental.

The world provides the struggle no matter what. The role of family is to provide a helping hand and support when necessary.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I think helping out with rent for 2 years in high COL area is reasonable especially when the plan is zero dollars at PGY-3. I do think the better option is moonlighting for the additional money or a cheaper apartment. I am not sure forcing someone to have roommates is a good idea as I really did prefer my own apartment when I could finally afford it.
Yeah sure. I wish I had that. But ultimately the kid did choose to go to a high COL program.

I am seeing that a typical salary for PGY1-PGY-3 is in the $50,000-$60,000 range. That likely means a take home pay of around $3600-$4,000 per month.

2021-2022 Salary​

• PGY 1: $54,024
  • PGY 2: $55,860
  • PGY 3: $58,281
Housing costs could easily consume 1/2 your take home pay or more.
To clarify, these numbers are NOT from Boston Medical Center. (Looking at their website, seems they get at least $12k/year more than this before a number of academic and meal $ benefits)

Keep in Mind ma also has a flat state tax so 3300 subtracted off the bat

I've got 2 kids and will help them out when the time comes. They will hopefully graduate debt free from college etc as well. If they need to live at home in their 20s in order to save, no problem.

Helping out your kids, especially if they are hardworking and driven, like the anesthesia resident in the OP isn't over protecting in my opinion.

I want to say this is a cultural thing. East Asian and South Asian families will typically support their kids into adulthood until they become financially set. (I am South Asian).

I see it as helping build wealth in the family. In my example, I was able to buy a home right away as an attending. Didn't have to waste more money on rent trying to save for a down payment. My housing costs have actually gone down over the years due to refis and I have built equity and saved more in my taxable accounts.

This benefit will eventually get passed on to my kids.

If one wants to call me spoiled, so be it. I'll gladly take the spoiled title while avoiding financial struggle and throwing money away while building family wealth.

Reactions: 7 users
Moonlighting makes such a massive difference. I used do 1 extra shift per month and that was basically the difference for me. Without it barely comfortable, no holidays or savings. With it, 3 holidays per yr ans saving 1k per month ish

Honestly I couldn't imagine not helping my kid thru residency. What the hell are you going to do with your money? Its not like hes a slacker

Reactions: 2 users
Moonlighting makes such a massive difference. I used do 1 extra shift per month and that was basically the difference for me. Without it barely comfortable, no holidays or savings. With it, 3 holidays per yr ans saving 1k per month ish
So like 1.5k for 1 shift? Or is that gross rather than net?

How many of these shifts is feasible?

Honestly I couldn't imagine not helping my kid thru residency. What the hell are you going to do with your money? Its not like hes a slacker
If your kid said they needed more because your inflation-adjusted allowance for them no longer covers their luxury apartment and affords them a 50 hour work week so they don't have to moonlight then you'd say ok great here you go?

We aren't talking about food stamps and being homeless here, we are talking about an employed adult who made financial decisions they could not afford requiring a parental subsidy (apparently with a COLA) to avoid having to moonlight to cope with those decisions. And you can't imagine why someone wouldn't just throw more money at that situation, like no scenario where that might not be the right thing to do?

Reactions: 2 users
I would assume that moonlighting in Massachusetts is hard to come by considering the saturation of physicians in these type of areas

I would assume that moonlighting in Massachusetts is hard to come by considering the saturation of physicians in these type of areas
I knew someone who would commute 1 hour away to moonlight because the rate was fantastic. I find it impossible to accept that there is no moonlighting of any kind to be had for a motivated person. And part of budgeting is figuring out how much money you make and how much you spend. Needing someone to supplement your income because your rent is too expensive is an example of failed budgeting.

Let's say there's no moonlighting opportunities available to these MA residents at all. How do you think the residents that came from poverty survive...?
So like 1.5k for 1 shift? Or is that gross rather than net?

How many of these shifts is feasible?
2 ICU shifts a weekend.

Friday 7p-7a and Saturday 7p-7a. Or Saturday 7a to Sunday 7a. That's $2400 pretax. That's $1400-$1500 after-tax. Throw $500 into a ROTH IRA, spend the rest on nice dinners, vacation, or invest. There's a lot of down-time on these shifts and I use the time to study so all my free time at home is mine.

I talked to some non-anesthesia residents this past week, a few of them live in the same luxury apartment complexes as some new attendings here where monthly rent is 80% of their monthly paycheck. Yup, trust funds and/or supplemental checks from papa and mama. I can't say that I am not a little bit jealous but I'd rather do it my own way.

Let's say there's no moonlighting opportunities available to these MA residents at all. How do you think the residents that came from poverty survive...?
There are some affordableish suburbs and it’s not like NYC where it’s impossible to drive in. Though I don’t know how far one could live and still be on call. Might be easier for a psych or FM resident than general surgery for instance.

Friday 7p-7a and Saturday 7p-7a. Or Saturday 7a to Sunday 7a. That's $2400 pretax. That's $1400-$1500 after-tax. Throw $500 into a ROTH IRA, spend the rest on nice dinners, vacation, or invest. There's a lot of down-time on these shifts and I use the time to study so all my free time at home is mine.
Wow that’s way more than I expected. Theoretically could one do this every weekend and make 6000 per month after taxes.

If one did that through residency putting it into VTI each period and it compounded at 10%, that is nearly 5000000 in 30 years

Wow that’s way more than I expected. Theoretically could one do this every weekend and make 6000 per month after taxes.
You could if you were the only one doing it. When I was a resident there were several moonlighting sites available but there were a few of us in the pool that competed for the spots each time. Usually a resident that was a real go getter was in charge of the scheduling. It was mostly fair but of course the scheduler managed to work the system.

There are some affordableish suburbs and it’s not like NYC where it’s impossible to drive in. Though I don’t know how far one could live and still be on call. Might be easier for a psych or FM resident than general surgery for instance.

If one did that through residency putting it into VTI each period and it compounded at 10%, that is nearly 5000000 in 30 years
Yes, there are residents here who moonlight aggressively and drive really nice cars. One even became a landlord.

I like to have at least 1.5-2 full weekends to myself to live life. I don't need to moonlight to survive, mostly for extra spending money for vacation and extra saving. I would hate to get into the habit of 'the money is so good, I have to spend every extra waking moment working to make more.' My kids will have to budget like I do right now.

Making it on any residency salary would be hard to do with a family. I did it as a single guy in Boston 15 years ago by living small, (not eating out at restaurants much, tiny studio apartment in Fenway).

What will be harder now is dealing with higher interest rates on school loans, first time home buying, etc.

2 ICU shifts a weekend.

Is this where you just do extra work as a resident, or are you attending and “final signing”?

I can tell you it is challenging for residents to moonlight as “attendings” in MA and CA because you cannot apply for a full license until July 1 of PGY4, which realistically means you won’t have that license until around Oct/Nov.

Unless the program “moonlighting” is just working extra resident shifts in a resident role, then it is true that residencies in those locations may actually have no moonlighting.

Resident salary is enough to get by even in high COL region. I did residency recently in a high cost area and made it work without help.

Your colleagues friend is very privileged, but if he wants to float the cash so be it. Nothing wrong with it. Me along with many of the other commenters above are just envious we didn’t have someone to float us some cash during training.

Reactions: 3 users
Even if the shifts were available, it's not sustainable.

Humans need some time off. Working resident hours, plus doing the outside reading needed to be good residents, and spending every weekend working? Even if you're single, ugh.

I left the Navy this year. A few years back we closed our cardiac surgery program, so I've been dependent on moonlighting to do hearts for that time. I'm well out of residency and fellowship but I spent all of my accrued vacation time (~10 weeks) plus virtually every weekend and free weekday I had the last year moonlighting in order to supplement my cardiac case load, and it got old. It's not a sustainable way to live. Now I'm working full time in a busy private practice, and it's pretty relaxing by comparison.

Don't kill yourself as a resident just to fund a Roth or drive a nicer car. If you've got to do it to buy formula for your six adopted children or to pay off your brother's bookie, so be it.

Reactions: 3 users