Terminal surgiries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetGirl33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools still perform terminal surgeries? I attended an interview at Iowa this weekend and was disappointed to hear that they do terminal surgeries. It kind of put a damper on my interest in that school. I was wondering if there is a list anywhere or if people could list the schools that still perform them? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that Purdue still does terminal surgeries, but I am not entirely sure. Perhaps someone that goes to that vet school could speak more about that.

Yes it is true that Iowa State does terminal surgeries. I do not feel like it is fair to say that you are disappointed that Iowa State does terminal surgeries. It almost seems like you are looking down on the students and the school itself because of the program. Also, not to sound harsh but there are numerous posts throughout SDN discussing this very subject, this is why you should always research the schools you apply to.

Here is a blog post that discusses terminal surgery:
http://winnielovesus.blogspot.com/2009/02/terminal-surgery.html

Also, here is a thread that discusses terminal surgeries in vet school. It is from a few years ago:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/terminal-surgeries.609323/

What if Iowa is the only school you get into, what will you do?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Purdue no longer does terminal surgeries; this was announced during their interviews last year.

But they don't do terminal surgiries, I hope. That **** is whack.
They ceased terminal surgeries two years ago. It is no longer a part of the curriculum, but I believe there are more spay/neuter experiences coupled with local shelters to help bolster surgery experience.

They ceased terminal surgeries two years ago. It is no longer a part of the curriculum, but I believe there are more spay/neuter experiences coupled with local shelters to help bolster surgery experience.
Missed the joke ;)

Any and all surgiries should be reconsidered, tbh.

Reactions: 3 users
If the alternative is that the canine or feline is being euthanized due to overpopulation, why is this seen in a strictly negative light?

I'm tired of all the negative talk about surgiries. Maybe if people actually did some research or had some experience with them, they would be able to see past the bias and understand how valuable surgiries really are.

Reactions: 5 users

Why? I get the reasons people don't like terminal surgeries but why should all surgeries be reconsidered? We do have to perform surgery when we graduate and I'm super glad my first surgery won't be on Mrs. Jones' prize poodle.

If the alternative is that the canine or feline is being euthanized due to overpopulation, why is this seen in a strictly negative light?
Presumably because it may be seen as unethical to do an unnecessary surgery on an animal, even if they are destined for euthanasia

Members don't see this ad :)
Why? I get the reasons people don't like terminal surgeries but why should all surgeries be reconsidered? We do have to perform surgery when we graduate and I'm super glad my first surgery won't be on Mrs. Jones' prize poodle.

Or maybe I read what you were saying wrong...

I do not feel like it is fair to say that you are disappointed that Iowa State does terminal surgeries. It almost seems like you are looking down on the students and the school itself because of the program. Also, not to sound harsh but there are numerous posts throughout SDN discussing this very subject, this is why you should always research the schools you apply to.

1) You're right, there are numerous posts - so how about we don't turn this into yet another tired argument about terminal surgeries?

2) The OP is entitled to her opinion, and her opinion clearly is that terminal surgery is an undesirable training modality that she would like to avoid. If I wanted to go to a school and they used a training modality I didn't like, I'd be disappointed, too. I personally don't share her feelings about terminal surgery, but there appears to be a significant number of people on either side of the argument, which suggests that there are valid reasons for each position.

3) OP, hbr1704 is right, there are plenty of posts you could search for the info. Or ask the schools to which you want to apply. There are way too many pre-vets coming on SDN and asking people here to do basic research that they could do for themselves. It's getting old.

If the alternative is that the canine or feline is being neuthanized due to overpopulation, why is this seen in a strictly negative light?

I am 100% opposed to neuthanasia. Totally barbaric practice.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm tired of all the negative talk about surgiries. Maybe if people actually did some research or had some experience with them, they would be able to see past the bias and understand how valuable surgiries really are.

That's the problem though, people are so blinded by their desire for experience. Any and all surgiries are considered acceptable because there is no cost-benefit analysis to say otherwise! We need some data on this. Wanna partner up?

That's the problem though, people are so blinded by their desire for experience. Any and all surgiries are considered acceptable because there is no cost-benefit analysis to say otherwise! We need some data on this. Wanna partner up?
:naughty:

What were we talking about?

I blame the bleach fumes from cleaning. Cleaning is hazardous to my health, I should be able to hire someone to do it for me, for free. :)

If you wanna join up with WZ and I, the breaking research solving the much debated problem of surgiries would likely make us rich enough for you to never have to deal with bleach ever again!

Presumably because it may be seen as unethical to do an unnecessary surgery on an animal, even if they are destined for euthanasia

Yeah, I can see that viewpoint. However, if adequate anesthesia and analgesia (intra-op, presumably to quell the "anesthesia-awareness" concerns) are administered, I could see the value in the learning experience.

I am so upset that I missed that.

I edited that like 1 minute later, he's a quick one! I too am opposed to neuthanasias. :p

If you wanna join up with WZ and I, the breaking research solving the much debated problem of surgiries would likely make us rich enough for you to never have to deal with bleach ever again!
I like the sound of this

You heartless surgirie-loving slore.
There is no need to be so rude and judgmental. People have different interests. Just because you think surgiries are awful doesn't mean your opinion is inherently more right than mine.

And name calling? Really? Aren't we all more mature than that? As professional and future professionals and what not. My slore status has nothing to do with my love for surgiries.

There is no need to be so rude and judgmental. People have different interests. Just because you think surgiries are awful doesn't mean youe opinion is inherently more right than mine.

And name calling? Really? Aren't we all more mature than that? As professional and future professionals and what not. My slore status has nothing to do with my love for surgiries.

Like ripe cheeses??

I actually did search the forums but seemed that all the threads were old and the info may be outdated. Not looking down upon Iowa or anyone that goes there. I would just rather not have to do a terminal surgery, that's all. No need to read anything negative into my comment. I will email my other schools directly to get updated info. Unfortunately, very few schools advertise on their websites that they do terminal surgeries, so I guess asking each school for a current update is probably my best bet.

I actually did search the forums but seemed that all the threads were old and the info may be outdated. Not looking down upon Iowa or anyone that goes there. I would just rather not have to do a terminal surgery, that's all. No need to read anything negative into my comment. I will email my other schools directly to get updated info. Unfortunately, very few schools advertise on their websites that they do terminal surgeries, so I guess asking each school for a current update is probably my best bet.

This is from under a year ago in early 2014.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...l-surgeries-in-core-and-or-electives.1056220/

Could have easily just bumped it instead of creating a whole new thread.

You can bump old threads if you think that info is outdated. Then there is only one thread on the topic instead of multiple...

I didn't read any negative from your comment, you just stated your opinion, which you are allowed to have.

But your best bet it to ask schools directly to get this information.

Just for future reference....that is when you bump an older, but relevant thread to get any updates instead of starting a new one.

If everyone created a new thread on each common topic every year, it would be impossible to find anything anymore.

Another thing to consider (and to ask each school) is that most places have an alternative surgery course for those not wanting to perform terminal surgeries, so at most places you wouldn't be forced to do it if you didn't want to.

grandpa_is_one_creepy_sob-80386.gif

I just watch it get worse and worse and can't stop laughing.

BEAT THAT CREEPYLUPIN!
I love that guy!! At least if it is the same fellow who has the fun dancing gif that I use. I found this video to go along with it, which made me happy.

giphy.gif