Texas A&M c/o 2017 Applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zanydogz

Texas A&M c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I might as well start this one off. Lets go Aggies! :)

This is the thread where you can ask questions about anything regarding the app process, (including the ever long TMDSAS app), about the school and what its like to be an Aggie, and everything in between. A bunch of current students are part of this forum so don't hesitate to ask us anything! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I second that.. if you have any questions, I'm sure all of us on here will be more than glad to answer them.

Now where are all the 2017 A&M'ers this year? Don't be shy.... ;)

I second that.. if you have any questions, I'm sure all of us on here will be more than glad to answer them.

Now where are all the 2017 A&M'ers this year? Don't be shy.... ;)

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying to Texas A&M. I'm still trying to make sure that I have all the pre-reqs that they want though. I'll be applying as an OOS

So I see on the VMCAS website for college descriptor pages, it says Texas A&M wants 8 semester hours of organic chemistry. I took Orgo I, Orgo I lab, and Orgo II (a total of 10 hours, 4 for each lecture and 2 for the lab) but have not taken Orgo II lab because my school does not offer it for non-majors.

Do you know if Texas A&M wants you to take Orgo II lab or do I have enough credit hours in organic to be okay?

And then the biochemistry thing I see, my school does not offer a biochemistry II :( unless you are a biochem major.

Everything else i think I have

I'm considering applying to Texas A&M. I'm still trying to make sure that I have all the pre-reqs that they want though. I'll be applying as an OOS

So I see on the VMCAS website for college descriptor pages, it says Texas A&M wants 8 semester hours of organic chemistry. I took Orgo I, Orgo I lab, and Orgo II (a total of 10 hours, 4 for each lecture and 2 for the lab) but have not taken Orgo II lab because my school does not offer it for non-majors.

Do you know if Texas A&M wants you to take Orgo II lab or do I have enough credit hours in organic to be okay?

And then the biochemistry thing I see, my school does not offer a biochemistry II :( unless you are a biochem major.

Everything else i think I have

So to answer your question, check out A&M's website. TAMU uses TMDSAS, not VMCAS so the app itself is different, just beware. To answer your question about Orgo, I actually don't know if they need the second lab. I would CALL (not email, she won't respond) Yolanda at the admissions office to make sure.

As for biochem, my school didn't even offer Biochem II period, but there is a way to get around it. You can substitute a cell bio course to make up for the missing hours. Here's the link with that info:

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future/biochemistry-requirements

Hope that helps! Good luck!

So to answer your question, check out A&M's website. TAMU uses TMDSAS, not VMCAS so the app itself is different, just beware. To answer your question about Orgo, I actually don't know if they need the second lab. I would CALL (not email, she won't respond) Yolanda at the admissions office to make sure.

As for biochem, my school didn't even offer Biochem II period, but there is a way to get around it. You can substitute a cell bio course to make up for the missing hours. Here's the link with that info:

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future/biochemistry-requirements

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Okay I'll check this out. Thanks!

I'm applying!! OOS, though <--Yipe!

I have a question; Is recycling our information from our VMCAS application looked down upon (i.e. personal statement)?

I'm applying!! OOS, though <--Yipe!

I have a question; Is recycling our information from our VMCAS application looked down upon (i.e. personal statement)?

Nope, I used the same PS for VMCAS and TMDSAS. Pretty much copy and paste. A&M also has a few optional essays on their application.

Good luck!

I'm thinking about applying to Texas A&M, but I see they aren't keen on accepting more than a couple OOS per year. All I can think of is an old western film saying "We don't like yer kind 'round these parts, mister!"

On the Aggie website I see that they have an application system of their own (TMDSAS). Do they still accept VMCAS applications anyway?

I'm thinking about applying to Texas A&M, but I see they aren't keen on accepting more than a couple OOS per year. All I can think of is an old western film saying "We don't like yer kind 'round these parts, mister!"

On the Aggie website I see that they have an application system of their own (TMDSAS). Do they still accept VMCAS applications anyway?

Unfortunately jimbear, they do not. As a Texan, I can and will say I think it's completely obnoxious. TAMU is a wonderful school though and the TMDSAS is basically the same as the VMCAS so most of it you just repeat the same thing (i.e. I used the same personal statement for both). There is this really frustrating Chronology thing that it automatically does for you, but if you get one thing wrong it can be a pain. If you'd like to pm me I can send you my TMDSAS from last year just so you can get a feel for if you think it's worth doing.

The other thing to note it the eLORs and transcripts. They have a separate form that must be accompanied by each transcript and the LORs are different. Its a paper that you have to give to your recommenders and have them mail out. It's annoying, I'll agree. But things get processed pretty quickly and you can keep track of it without having to constantly call the school up.

And also, everything gets submitted to the TMDSAS main office, not TAMU itself. From there, they send it to TAMU. Its weird, but like I said, you can keep track of what got where and when so its kinda useful...

Unfortunately jimbear, they do not. As a Texan, I can and will say I think it's completely obnoxious. TAMU is a wonderful school though and the TMDSAS is basically the same as the VMCAS so most of it you just repeat the same thing (i.e. I used the same personal statement for both). There is this really frustrating Chronology thing that it automatically does for you, but if you get one thing wrong it can be a pain. If you'd like to pm me I can send you my TMDSAS from last year just so you can get a feel for if you think it's worth doing.
If you says their system is similar to the VMCAS, I ought to be able to figure it out. Still not positive whether I'm applying there or not either way. Should know in a few days ;)

Thanks for the help though!

The other thing to note it the eLORs and transcripts. They have a separate form that must be accompanied by each transcript and the LORs are different. Its a paper that you have to give to your recommenders and have them mail out. It's annoying, I'll agree. But things get processed pretty quickly and you can keep track of it without having to constantly call the school up.

And also, everything gets submitted to the TMDSAS main office, not TAMU itself. From there, they send it to TAMU. Its weird, but like I said, you can keep track of what got where and when so its kinda useful...

Yes I saw this strange system of recommendation/evaluations. You would really have to know someone in order to answer most of the questions with any semblance of honesty. I'd say maybe 2 of my recommendations would be on that level. Not having to make all the phone calls is nice, but I still find the open format of a letter of recommendation to make more sense.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about my lors for this upcoming cycle that I would like to have help on-

Would it be inadvisable to have 3 lors from the same vet practice? I'm planning to ask 2 of my vets and my office manager and I can't think of anyone else that would be able to give me outstanding references.

Last year I chose 2 of my profs, and one of my vets, but during the file review I was told that my profs couldn't respond on my interaction with animals (which is completely understandable since they've only seen me in an academic setting).

So my question is, should I get my lors from those I mentioned above (2 vets & my office manager from the same practice), or try to get my third lor by volunteering with another veterinary practice/animal shelter?

I have a question about my lors for this upcoming cycle that I would like to have help on-

Would it be inadvisable to have 3 lors from the same vet practice? I'm planning to ask 2 of my vets and my office manager and I can't think of anyone else that would be able to give me outstanding references.

Last year I chose 2 of my profs, and one of my vets, but during the file review I was told that my profs couldn't respond on my interaction with animals (which is completely understandable since they've only seen me in an academic setting).

So my question is, should I get my lors from those I mentioned above (2 vets & my office manager from the same practice), or try to get my third lor by volunteering with another veterinary practice/animal shelter?

I think it would be good to keep an academic reference in addition to your two vets. One that knows you pretty well to attest to your ability to succeed, academically. Also, have you worked with each of your vets in a different manner? That way they are able to write unique recommendations? I know that in my situation last year, the vets i worked for were married, so they ended up doing one LOR together that way it wouldn't have been redundant if each of them wrote the same basic LOR. Good luck!!

I think it would be good to keep an academic reference in addition to your two vets. One that knows you pretty well to attest to your ability to succeed, academically. Also, have you worked with each of your vets in a different manner? That way they are able to write unique recommendations? I know that in my situation last year, the vets i worked for were married, so they ended up doing one LOR together that way it wouldn't have been redundant if each of them wrote the same basic LOR. Good luck!!

:thumbup: I second this. An academic reference can give the adcoms a better window into how you can handle a rigorous course load as well as other skills.

All you current students need to come to pathology rounds on Fridays and say hello.

I will pout until you do, and you don't want that. :mad:

And if any of you are second years, I'll see you in path lab next week ;)

All you current students need to come to pathology rounds on Fridays and say hello.

I will pout until you do, and you don't want that. :mad:

And if any of you are second years, I'll see you in path lab next week ;)

Believe it or not, I actually signed up for the Path club so I'll be there on Fridays!

How did you guys put in your hours for Animal Experience. I have one entry with a ton of hours in it. Should I break it up into other experiences?

Soooo I think the reason there is no one in here is because you can't seem to find this out on the main prevet forum pages. I had to google search to find this. Do we need to start a new thread?

EDIT: Nm... now it is showing up.. guess it wasn't showing up for lack of activity!

Soooo I think the reason there is no one in here is because you can't seem to find this out on the main prevet forum pages. I had to google search to find this. Do we need to start a new thread?

EDIT: Nm... now it is showing up.. guess it wasn't showing up for lack of activity!

Not much to say now I guess, we're all just playing the waiting game :sleep:

Except I'm not that calm, so it's more like :scared:

Yup. Hopefully it will become more active mid December and people will post some interview experiences.....

Yup. Hopefully it will become more active mid December and people will post some interview experiences.....

Just an FYI, if y'all ever have any questions whatsoever about TAMU, the interview process, life in vet school, anything, there are a bunch of current students on this forum.

Also, if any current Aggie is in the pre-vet club and is applying this year, they are hosting a mock-interview session in early November. I'll be one of the interviewers and since TAMU does a different interview format y'all should definitely attend!

I still don't know who to say hello to. I reckon I'll just go down to the necropsy lab and start yelling.

Just an FYI, if y'all ever have any questions whatsoever about TAMU, the interview process, life in vet school, anything, there are a bunch of current students on this forum.

There are a surprising amount here lately! Seemed for the longest time we'd get one or two a year and then suddenly BAM! Aggies everywhere!

I still don't know who to say hello to. I reckon I'll just go down to the necropsy lab and start yelling.

:laugh: Well, I'm the only resident with gauged ears and nose piercings, and I usually wear my "hipster" glasses (to see the damn screen) and am quite talkative at rounds (or I try to be). Seriously though, meeting some SDN peeps would be pretty cool.

You and me and zany should go out to Yesterday's or POETS and play pool. I'm awful, but teh WW is good.

:laugh: Well, I'm the only resident with gauged ears and nose piercings, and I usually wear my "hipster" glasses (to see the damn screen) and am quite talkative at rounds (or I try to be). Seriously though, meeting some SDN peeps would be pretty cool.

You and me and zany should go out to Yesterday's or POETS and play pool. I'm awful, but teh WW is good.

Seriously, the last couple of times I've gone I've been trying to figure out who you are. I haven't been able to go recently due to exams and other "classes" that have been popping up on Friday, but I'll try to be more diligent.

And I'm totally down for playing pool. I need a distraction from studying...

I'd like to know about the interview process and any tips you may have. What do the interviewers have available to them from our application, or in other words, do they ask questions specific to our personal statement, application, transcript, etc?

I'd like to know about the interview process and any tips you may have. What do the interviewers have available to them from our application, or in other words, do they ask questions specific to our personal statement, application, transcript, etc?

The interview is set up a little differently from the other schools. We use the MMI format. Or at least I'm assuming they're still going to use that. Basically, there are a series of stations or rooms. and each room has a situation/scenario/ethical issue posted on it. And you have like 5 or 8 minutes (dont remember quite) to read the question and then they'll signal you to go in. and you have like 10 minutes to talk about it with 2-3 (usually someone on admissions and a practitioner in texas). Then when times up, you go on to the next station and repeat.

It sounds terrifying, and I know I was definitely terrified.. but afterwards, you'll feel great (fingers crossed). So I guess back to your original question: they don't have any of your information there with them... just take notes on what you talk about.

Good luck! Whoop for future aggie vets!

Pretty much what bearkat said. And yea they're doing the MMI format again this year. It has nothing to do with your app. Its more about can you think critically on your feet, understand that there are two sides to a situation, take a stance and act on it, and that you can communicate well with clients. Its mostly ethical situations too. It might sound stressful, but its really not. I felt it to be better than the other interviews I had.

We use the MMI format. Or at least I'm assuming they're still going to use that

Yah they are. The interviewers REALLY like that way of doing it because they can knock it all out in a weekend or two versus having to string it out over several months.

Basically, from talking to the adcomms folks, they're just looking for you to back up and believe in what you say. So if you have a position, and even if they're trying to talk you out of it, just stick with it and then add something like "but that's just my current understanding, it may change as I learn more about it" or some such. They'll try and change your mind, so just use common sense. If they flat out tell you that your position is illegal, just say something like "oh, didn't know that. That's why I'm going to vet school" or something along those lines.

Also there are mock interviews this Saturday and some later on through the pre-vet society I think (though I never heard anything back from the guy who was spear-heading that). Try to get in on the pre-vet ones if you're in the area.

I'm up for that. What the heck is POETS though? I've literally never heard of that.

Also, no residents I can think of meet your description. I will have to investigate noses more I guess.

Last edited:
Yah they are. The interviewers REALLY like that way of doing it because they can knock it all out in a weekend or two versus having to string it out over several months.

Basically, from talking to the adcomms folks, they're just looking for you to back up and believe in what you say. So if you have a position, and even if they're trying to talk you out of it, just stick with it and then add something like "but that's just my current understanding, it may change as I learn more about it" or some such. They'll try and change your mind, so just use common sense. If they flat out tell you that your position is illegal, just say something like "oh, didn't know that. That's why I'm going to vet school" or something along those lines.

Also there are mock interviews this Saturday and some later on through the pre-vet society I think (though I never heard anything back from the guy who was spear-heading that). Try to get in on the pre-vet ones if you're in the area.

Thanks for the advice.

And I think the animal science department might be doing the mock interviews coming up soon, a friend who is an animal science major said they do that. The Pre-Vet Society ones happened a couple weeks ago I believe (couldn't make it to em :()

The animal science one is this Saturday. Also: baw to the pre-vet ones happening a while ago. Never heard back from the coordinator so didn't get to help out. :mad:

Oh another thing I did that I found really helpful for the ethical type questions (I had the old format, not MMI) was to start reading what was once the Dolittler blog (now I think it's Vetting It Up or some such? It's here. She talks about ethical questions a good portion of the time and gives both sides of the story (or used to, haven't been reading in a while). You can also read DVM360 which used to be pretty good, but the quality has dropped off since then IMO.

I seem to remember there being an interview topics thread here on SDN, so you might want to search for that. I think we discussed ethical scenarios at pretty good length. Might be time to make another one since it's pretty applicable to all school's interview processes.

The animal science one is this Saturday. Also: baw to the pre-vet ones happening a while ago. Never heard back from the coordinator so didn't get to help out. :mad:

Oh another thing I did that I found really helpful for the ethical type questions (I had the old format, not MMI) was to start reading what was once the Dolittler blog (now I think it's Vetting It Up or some such? It's here. She talks about ethical questions a good portion of the time and gives both sides of the story (or used to, haven't been reading in a while). You can also read DVM360 which used to be pretty good, but the quality has dropped off since then IMO.

I seem to remember there being an interview topics thread here on SDN, so you might want to search for that. I think we discussed ethical scenarios at pretty good length. Might be time to make another one since it's pretty applicable to all school's interview processes.

Cool, thanks. I've definitely got some reading to do in regards to current ethical and legal issues facing vet med. Don't want to get caught off guard with a question I know absolutely nothing about. That blog seems useful; good place to start.

And boo, I'll be out of town this weekend. Unless some other group does more that I don't know about...no mock interviews for me it seems :annoyed:

If only I went to to a&m for undergrad! :boom:

i'm so nervous waiting for their reply!

yes, there are pros and cons about going to TAMU as undergrad and then applying to vet school. at a&m you are taking the exact required curriculum w/ well-informed advisors, have many pre-vet opportunities - such as people talking above about mock interviews, have direct access to a&m vet school to meet faculty/tours/etc!, but there is also fierce competition I am sure!! For me, we do not have any official pre-vet major, we have to take many of our a&m pre-reqs at other locations and so on - but we do have less people fighting over the pre-vet opportunities here, etc.

So, I was just saying in that instance I wish I was closer to the action! getting ready with many of the other pre-vet students, doing mock interviews at a&m, etc..

but i am sure everyone is still nervous none-the-less!! good luck all!

yes, there are pros and cons about going to TAMU as undergrad and then applying to vet school. at a&m you are taking the exact required curriculum w/ well-informed advisors, have many pre-vet opportunities - such as people talking above about mock interviews, have direct access to a&m vet school to meet faculty/tours/etc!, but there is also fierce competition I am sure!! For me, we do not have any official pre-vet major, we have to take many of our a&m pre-reqs at other locations and so on - but we do have less people fighting over the pre-vet opportunities here, etc.

So, I was just saying in that instance I wish I was closer to the action! getting ready with many of the other pre-vet students, doing mock interviews at a&m, etc..

If it helps, I went to undergrad out-of-state, so like you, I had to take some of the pre-reqs online through other universities and had to talk through getting some courses waived. My school also did not offer a pre-vet major, but if you have a good advisor it all works out in the end. It was a huge stress, I'll admit. But I couldn't be happier where I'm at. And, to level things out, the interview process is the MMI style, so everyone is in the same boat there, regardless of where you went to school.

I guess what I'm saying is relax and take a deep breath (I know its hard...I was in your shoes last year).

Fair enough. Though actually the curriculum isn't quite exact. I'm a Biomedical Science major which is part of the College of Veterinary Medicine (as an upper class student all of my classes are in the vet school now), but there are one or two classes that my major does not require (and that won't be electives so I got no useful credit really) that are necessary for vet school. It is pretty cool program though. Rigorous, but very interesting.

Good luck to you too! I feel so hypocritical for saying it, but worrying won't help us :p

Anybody hear back yet about interviews? I know it's still early but it says BY Dec. 22nd and I'm starting to get anxious!

Not yet! Last year, I heard back around the 15th.

Nothing yet here. Makes me nervous but I have to remind myself I have yet to get a denial either....

I received my interview invitation on 12/20 last year by e-mail. This is when the first round of rejections happens as well, I'm afraid. :\

They send out the interview invites and rejections for those who did not get offered an interview at the same time. I believe I got my interview invite around the 20th.

The website says all applicant statuses will be known by the 21st, which of course, is this Friday (even though the website incorrectly says Thursday the 21st :confused:). Who else has been biting their nails all week? :eek:

I have been holding my breath every morning I check the email on my phone. HOWEVER.... I just went to this page: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future and it has a link on the bottom left that says "Interview". I clicked it, logged in with my secondary app username and password, and it's asking me to confirm a time they've given me for my interview... what the??? I guess I got one??? I'm gonna confirm it before someone finds out their mistake hahah.

Anyone else care to try this out and let me know if it is the same???

Nope, I can't log in. Mine just refreshes the page, and my password is deleted.

Hopefully that just means I haven't been put in yet? :< Congrats though! I'm pretty sure it sounds like you got an interview. :D

Thank you... I'm sure they are still scheduling everything and that's why no one has gotten any confirmation yet.

For the current DVM students:

How did you prepare for your interview? Besides mock interviews and reviewing ethical situations...

Does anyone work while in school? I would assume there isn't much time for a job.

Did the majority of students know exactly what they wanted to focus on and do post Vet school?

Thanks

I have been holding my breath every morning I check the email on my phone. HOWEVER.... I just went to this page: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future and it has a link on the bottom left that says "Interview". I clicked it, logged in with my secondary app username and password, and it's asking me to confirm a time they've given me for my interview... what the??? I guess I got one??? I'm gonna confirm it before someone finds out their mistake hahah.

Anyone else care to try this out and let me know if it is the same???

Awesome, thanks! It worked! But, aw hell...It says my time is 6:30am...DO. NOT. WANT. I am not a morning person! :laugh: