Texas A&M c/o 2017 Applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't heard anything about it at all and my guess is it's still way to early. When I was applying 2 years ago we didn't get our letters until mid March, but other years they've sent them out in February so it's hard to tell. In the past they've sent all the in state letters out at once. I think out of state students hear back sooner, but I was in state so I don't know that for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Just an inside tip, one of my classmates heard that acceptance letters are going out in about a week so keep a heads up!

Just an inside tip, one of my classmates heard that acceptance letters are going out in about a week so keep a heads up!
We appreciate the info. I'm officially nervous to check my mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Rogers lectured in my undergrad class today and confirmed that we should be receiving letters within a week!

Great news! Of course, I've already been stalking my mailbox. It's been so hard seeing all the (much deserved and amazing) acceptances from other SDNers' schools come flooding in. Hopefully we'll be joining the ranks soon!

Sent using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Letters will definitely be coming soon! I'm OOS and got a call yesterday - I was accepted and hope to see you all in August!!!

Good luck everyone!! Hope you all hear great news! :luck:

Letters will definitely be coming soon! I'm OOS and got a call yesterday - I was accepted and hope to see you all in August!!!

Yay!!! Congratulations!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!

Awww, dreamt that I got an acceptance letter and was so happy. And then woke up and realized, nope, not yet. I also live OOS (but am IS consideration for application purposes), so I won't be getting a call, and will be waiting a LOOONG time to receive my fate-determining letter. :X

While I eagerly await a response from Texas A&M, I had a few questions for current students. When I was interviewing, I didn't get to meet many current students and faculty, so I would like to get a better feel for the school.
My first question is about exotics/zoo/wildlife, what is available in that regard? Are there electives, rotations, externships, alumni contacts? Do many students pursue this field?
Secondly, how much do students and faculty interact, are faculty usually open and willing to chat with students, etc.?
And finally, clinical exposure, are there any opportunities in the first two years? Do students volunteer or have jobs that will allow them some exposure? Are you allowed to go on rounds with clinicians?

Thanks so much in advance, I really hope I have the opportunity to choose A&M!

While I eagerly await a response from Texas A&M, I had a few questions for current students. When I was interviewing, I didn't get to meet many current students and faculty, so I would like to get a better feel for the school.
My first question is about exotics/zoo/wildlife, what is available in that regard? Are there electives, rotations, externships, alumni contacts? Do many students pursue this field?
Secondly, how much do students and faculty interact, are faculty usually open and willing to chat with students, etc.?
And finally, clinical exposure, are there any opportunities in the first two years? Do students volunteer or have jobs that will allow them some exposure? Are you allowed to go on rounds with clinicians?

As far as I know, you will have the opportunity to take exotics electives starting 3rd year. There are clubs geared toward exotics too. Last semester we had a large wetlab on avian stuff that was really fun. And this semester they had one about small mammal surgery techniques. There's plenty of opportunities to get a little more experience there. During 4th year clinics, you decide if you want to do small animal, large animal, mixed, or alternate. I've talked to a few upperclassmen that said if you let them know what you want to do, you can do the main core rotations and then have an extra exotics rotation. A&M is really good about networking and externships so I'm sure there is something they could do as long as you let them know what you want to do.

So far, the faculty has been amazing! They're always willing to talk and encourage you to stop by their office if you need help or have questions, etc. It's clear that a large majority of them love what they do and they love students. The one's I've emailed with questions usually respond really quickly too. And while there's 134 of us, they know who we are and make an effort to know us.

As a first year, I don't have a lot of time to spend at the clinics. However, I do know many clinicians have rounds during the week. And alot of people at the clinic encourage you to start spending time. If you're interested in emergency or critical care, they have a volunteer sign-up thing where you can go help out for a couple of hours when you can. I haven't had time myself to do that, but it was really interesting during their volunteer orientation. Some people have part time jobs with the clinic on the weekends and stuff. Most of the clinicians, or at least the ones i've met, don't mind if you hang around and watch.

Good luck! hope you hear great news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my goodness, my mailbox has a restraining order on me for stalking. Is tomorrow going to be the day?? I just want my life to get moving again! :lame:

Oh my goodness, my mailbox has a restraining order on me for stalking. Is tomorrow going to be the day?? I just want my life to get moving again! :lame:

Ahh! Thought it was just me losing it. Thanks for that post!

I'm surprised we haven't received letters yet! Sorry for getting your hopes up last week, and I hope you all hear back soon!!

I'm surprised we haven't received letters yet! Sorry for getting your hopes up last week, and I hope you all hear back soon!!

lol, it is what it is. Congrats, btw!

Another thing that was started recently was summer rotations where you sign up for two week rotations in certain fields during the summer. You basically get to help out and shadow the clinicians and the people who've done it say it was definitely worth it. I also want to echo what bearkat said about our faculty. They truly are amazing. Most of them serve as mentors to the mentor groups you're assigned to. We get to have lunch or dinner with them on a fairly regular basis and its nice to talk to them outside of class. They really want you to succeed and will help you out with anything.

Thanks guys! Let's hope that today is the day!

We are totally evil. Don't talk to us :smuggrin:

San Antonio here (about 3 hours away from TAMU) and mail has already come. Nothing yet guys, sorry. :scared:

If you look at the dates from last year's posts, IS letters arrived 8 days after OOS phone calls were made. Since we know of at least one phone call last Tuesday, they should be here by Friday. (But I hoped to find out today!)

Sent using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
OOS people received e-mails today with a copy of the letter that is coming in the mail, along with this message: "The hard copy of this letter along with all the documents were mailed out this morning (2/27/13)." Hope this is exciting news and doesn't make it more stressful for all of you as you wait!

Thanks for the update, AgGirl, and BTW congrats!

Sent using SDN Mobile

Texas here....Nothing in the mail today either :(

I have not gotten anything yet, but a friend in CS got his acceptance today!

OMG that's great news! I'm IS but living in Washington, DC...not excited for the extra wait :thumbdown:

That's awesome!!! Congratulations to your friend :) wish I was still living in CS

Do they send out rejections/waitlist at the same time.

If not, how long after do those go out?
I live in CS, and I have no news ..... , and thus have become increasingly concerned. (Especially since people around me have been getting their letters).

I live in CS, and I have no news ..... , and thus have become increasingly concerned. (Especially since people around me have been getting their letters).
Looking at past threads, I think they send everything out at the same time. It's hard not to panic, but I haven't heard anything yet either.

This is my second year applying. Last year all letters went out together. But I am also in CS and got nothing today. Can't help but worry!

Congratulations to every one who got acceptance letters! Oh, and I don't think they did this last year but my year the acceptances came in large packets and waitlist came in large packets. And since someone usually asks. They usually accept around 10 people off the waitlist. I think one year it went as high as 15, but i'm not sure. Congrats again to everyone who got accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting!

Congratulations to every one who got acceptance letters! Oh, and I don't think they did this last year but my year the acceptances came in large packets and waitlist came in large packets. And since someone usually asks. They usually accept around 10 people off the waitlist. I think one year it went as high as 15, but i'm not sure. Congrats again to everyone who got accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting!

Yep, it was a packet with a bunch of papers.

Congrats to everyone! Would you guys mind sharing your stats?

whoop! congrats everyone!! Can't wait to meet you all in August! Again, if you have any questions feel free to ask! :clap::highfive:

Last year they sent out waitlist, rejection, and acceptances all at the same time. I was number 5 on the waitlist last year and did not get a big packet til after they called me to see if I wanted the spot after everyone had accepted or declined the offer. They got up to number 9 on the waitlist for the class of 2016. Being on the waitlist was soo hard for me to have to wait 2 more months, but it was worth it. Congratulations guys and good luck!!!

Congrats to everyone! Would you guys mind sharing your stats?

Did you want to know because you are a current applicant or future applicant? What specific stats were you interested in (GPA, GRE, hours)?

Here are some relevant threads:

Successful Applicants c/o 2015 (you can look for people who got accepted into A&M in this thread where everyone posts their stats)

What are my chances? (you can ask people advice on how to improve your stats)

You can PM me if you want my information or more info. about anything. Hope this helps! :luck:

Going quite crazy here. I'm having a co-worker check my mail tomorrow as soon as it comes. Congrats to everyone who found out today!

Yay! Congrats future classmates! :) I remember the crazy excitement of acceptance this time last year. Y'all deserve it!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I'm still anxiously waiting to hear from my parents, since I live in Florida and the letter is being sent to the Dallas area. No mail there yet!

I got in :)
Has anyone started a Facebook page for our class?

Would it be an awful idea to call and ask about the status of our application? I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm getting even more nervous especially since I've been wait-listed at every other school I interviewed at. It seems like a bad idea.

Would it be an awful idea to call and ask about the status of our application? I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm getting even more nervous especially since I've been wait-listed at every other school I interviewed at. It seems like a bad idea.

Last year (wait listed) my letter was returned to them. When they called to get a different address, they wouldn't tell me over the phone. I doubt calling would get you anywhere.