Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The stuff you bring (pretty sure you need some form of ID at the least) will be placed at a table before you start interviewing. There's only CVM people milling about, so there's no worry about something being stolen.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! I am a current 4th year at tamu. I just wanted to say hi and congrats to everyone who got interview. I will most likely be mingling with ya'll at the bbq on saturday. Feel free to come say hello and ask questions. I'm 6 months pregnant so I'm easy to spot :)

I'm so glad I found this place! I'm interviewing on Saturday and I'm nervous. Could anybody answer a couple questions for me?

During the interview, do you predominantly discuss the scenario you're presented with, or do the interviewers also give you "traditional" questions (like why do you want to be a vet, strengths and weaknesses, etc)

What are some good questions to ask your interviewers? I did mock interviews and they asked if I had any questions for them, and I was kind of stumped. Ended up asking what they did in the veterinary field. Any other suggestions in case this comes up?

Members don't see this ad :)
During the interview, do you predominantly discuss the scenario you're presented with, or do the interviewers also give you "traditional" questions (like why do you want to be a vet, strengths and weaknesses, etc)

No traditional questions. At least there weren't when I interviewed.

Also, for those who are interested, I'll be leading a very informal, very basic tour of the school around 1PM on Friday. I was thinking of meeting in the main entrance to the school (not the hospital) or by Critical Care Cafe.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who would like the little tour dealie, do you know where Critical Care Cafe is? I believe it's where the BBQ is being held.

I'm at College Station now. Just drove around to Medical Science Library. Feeling super nervous but very motivated at the same time. I just got email about BBQ so it will be at C2 Cafe (Critical Care Cafe?) in the Academic Mall.

Here's a crude map that may or may not help.

yfHQbtY.jpg

If you get lost, just ask! Everyone is usually very friendly and they should all know where the CCC is. :)

Also, for those who are interested, I'll be leading a very informal, very basic tour of the school around 1PM on Friday. I was thinking of meeting in the main entrance to the school (not the hospital) or by Critical Care Cafe.

Well shoot. My husband decided he wants to drive together, so I have to wait for him to get off work today before I drive up, which means I'm gonna miss your tour @epivetlove :( y'all have fun though! And GOOD LUCK to everyone interviewing today!!!!

Does anyone know when the last tour will be? I have my interview at 1:00 pm tomorrow and Ill be driving from Dallas. Im wondering if I should plan to get there early enough to tour the school before my interview or if I can plan to tour after my interview around 4:00 pm.

Does anyone know when the last tour will be? I have my interview at 1:00 pm tomorrow and Ill be driving from Dallas. Im wondering if I should plan to get there early enough to tour the school before my interview or if I can plan to tour after my interview around 4:00 pm.

They gave tours at 9, 11, 1, 3, and 5 today, if that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, very helpful. Thank you!

This is probably obvious, but the time listed for the interview is in local time, right? I came here from another time zone and I would really like not to miss my interview!

Yeah it's local time (Central). The time on the paper is actually your check-in time. The interview starts after some introductory information they want you to know.

Hope y'all interview went well. Now waiting time till March.

@epivetlove Thank you for your school tour too. We appreciated your time :) and hope to see you again at the vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
Whoop! Interviews are over, good luck to everyone. I hope they give us notice closer to the end of February/early March like they have been. I hate the waiting game :/

I forgot to ask, but out a curiosity are lectures recorded? I've noticed that a few other schools do and thought it was nice for when you have to miss class.

I forgot to ask, but out a curiosity are lectures recorded? I've noticed that a few other schools do and thought it was nice for when you have to miss class.

Yeah one of the current students told me most of the profs provide recordings and digital materials

As a current student--yes, most professors do try and use Camtasia for their lectures. Some are better at remembering to hit record than others...

Just a random question… Does anyone know if the vet school contacts your references for a follow up or to get additional info after your interview? I'm just curious lol

@Aggievetgirl2013 I'm not 100% sure, but from what Dr. Rogers said, I take it that all they have left to do is calculate interview scores and Fall GPAs. She said that all the other stuff had been used to determine interviewees. But I may have just been hearing what I wanted to hear :)

@epivetlove, @su_grad2007 & any other current TAMU CVM students - they mentioned to us on the tour that only particular computers are compatible with the software used at the vet school...I desperately need a new laptop for this semester but don't want to get the wrong kind on the slight chance I get in, and then have an new and unusable laptop on my hands. Do Macs work for whatever programs and things y'all use? Do any current students have MacBooks and like/dislike them for vet school?

Thanks!!

...they mentioned to us on the tour that only particular computers are compatible with the software used at the vet school...I desperately need a new laptop for this semester but don't want to get the wrong kind on the slight chance I get in, and then have an new and unusable laptop on my hands. Do Macs work for whatever programs and things y'all use? Do any current students have MacBooks and like/dislike them

I believe the website is www.examsoft.com/tamucvm. It lists system requirements for laptops and tablets. There's tons of my classmates that have MacBooks and seem to enjoy them. Many also use iPads. I'm not a fan of Apple, so I have the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I luuuurrrve it. It's note-taking ability is beyond this world. I may end up using it solely for note-taking for classes that don't provide note packets.

I believe the website is www.examsoft.com/tamucvm. It lists system requirements for laptops and tablets. There's tons of my classmates that have MacBooks and seem to enjoy them. Many also use iPads. I'm not a fan of Apple, so I have the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I luuuurrrve it. It's note-taking ability is beyond this world. I may end up using it solely for note-taking for classes that don't provide note packets.
Thank you! Ever so helpful, @epivetlove. BTW, I really appreciate all your feedback on this thread - it's awesome to hear from a current student, and nice to know someone made it out alive from this process :)

Thank you! Ever so helpful, @epivetlove. BTW, I really appreciate all your feedback on this thread - it's awesome to hear from a current student, and nice to know someone made it out alive from this process :)

It's my pleasure! I know I got a lot of help from this forum when I went through the process, so I'm just payin' it back! Plus, I kinda love this school and its program. Hopefully y'all will get to experience it too next year!

So the surface pro 3 is compatible with exam soft? I have the surface RT now but I'm looking to upgrade! I've heard nothing but good things about it.

So the surface pro 3 is compatible with exam soft? I have the surface RT now but I'm looking to upgrade! I've heard nothing but good things about it.

It is indeed. Just used it for our Neurology quiz yesterday without any issues. Any of the Pro series are compatible, since they run full versions of Microsoft OS (7, 8, 8.1).

They've only been compatible since last fall (I had to bring a second computer on exam days first year), and to my knowledge the other Windows tablets aren't compatible...or at least some of my classmates still bring another laptop on exam day.

I just keep rethinking what I said in my interview. Especially because this is my second time interviewing. Does anyone else feel that way? I just don't want to be in the bottom 20%. There is only one room I felt I didn't do very well in. But when I think about all the parts I said something good, I rethink it and wonder if it was really as good as I thought. Can't wait until we find out.

I feel the same (one room too). But sometimes what we think we didn't well turn out not too bad and vice versa. Just keep fingers crossed.

I just keep rethinking what I said in my interview. Especially because this is my second time interviewing. Does anyone else feel that way? I just don't want to be in the bottom 20%. There is only one room I felt I didn't do very well in. But when I think about all the parts I said something good, I rethink it and wonder if it was really as good as I thought. Can't wait until we find out.
Yep, I think everyone feels pretty similar. But what's done is done!

I've been trying to tell myself that there isn't any harm in thinking positive thoughts until we find out. Worst case scenario, Idon't get in, but at least I wasn't miserable for the two months Ispent waiting!
However, I wholeheartedly admit that I have plenty of weak moments when I just want to crumple up and cry because of the not knowing..

Hopefully time starts to fly by! I'm trying to fill my time up as much as possible, but I still find the time to obsess and panic :shy:

One or the other. I think the usual-ish time is the end of the first week of March. I just stalked the previous TAMU applicants threads last night. One class heard back in the end of February.

Alternates supposedly hear around mid April, and usually at least the first 10 alternates will get in.

It's nice to know we are all in the same freaking out boat :) of course, obsessing and worrying over it won't change anything (I'm telling this to myself mostly haha). Thank goodness there's Parks and Rec on Netflix:) good luck everyone! Hang in there!

I'm getting into House of Cards and crochet projects to pass the time and avoid freak out moments! Kevin Spacey in House of Cards is seductive in such a weird way.

Anywho, another day down!

Hi there... for those who wish to send Thank you notes to the interviewers, don't forget to send it to Yolunda by Jan 30.

Anyone know how TAMU goes about the rabies vaccine for vet students?

PS Happy second to last day of January!

Anyone know how TAMU goes about the rabies vaccine for vet students?

PS Happy second to last day of January!

If you're a current student I know that the A&M student health center offers them for much cheaper (still not cheap), but getting your insurance to cover it through the health center can be a pain. If you're not a current student, I know that they give you a ton of information in the acceptance packet, and that most insurance plans will cover it, it just may be harder to find a doctor's office that actually has the vaccine on site. I hope this helps!

I have insurance through the school (Blue Cross Blue Shield of TX) and all of my vaccines were completely covered. Saved me about $650. I'd just check with your insurance provider to see what they would bill it as. I can check through my acceptance packet to see what codes I had written down for mine.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I have insurance through the school (Blue Cross Blue Shield of TX) and all of my vaccines were completely covered. Saved me about $650. I'd just check with your insurance provider to see what they would bill it as. I can check through my acceptance packet to see what codes I had written down for mine.

Was the insurance through the school offered with your admittance or were you still in undergrad?

My concern is this: I turn 26 this year, and my parents' coverage will no longer apply to me. So I'm trying to figure out if I should start the series now, or if it would be best to wait and see if I can go through the options offered by the school if I'm admitted..
What other vaccines will they require besides rabies and tetanus? Earlier this year I had to get a tetanus booster, because I accidentally picked up a surgery pack with a renegade blade hanging off the side, so that one is covered!

Was the insurance through the school offered with your admittance or were you still in undergrad?

My concern is this: I turn 26 this year, and my parents' coverage will no longer apply to me. So I'm trying to figure out if I should start the series now, or if it would be best to wait and see if I can go through the options offered by the school if I'm admitted..
What other vaccines will they require besides rabies and tetanus? Earlier this year I had to get a tetanus booster, because I accidentally picked up a surgery pack with a renegade blade hanging off the side, so that one is covered!

I enrolled in January of last year ('cause I turned 26) during my second semester of my doctoral program (so, yes, I was already a student, but not an undergrad :p). You can check out the website for more information: https://tamu.myahpcare.com/. I've been really happy with it so far. I pay about $115/month. I think there's also add-on options for vision and dental, but I have dental through another provider, so not really sure. I think open enrollment will start in July/August for the 2015-2016 academic year.

The only vaccines I remember being required are rabies, tetanus and Hep B.