Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations OOSers who got their acceptances! And for all of us ISers:
tumblr_inline_mkch2vOZgk1qz4rgp.gif

XFeLwWU.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Last night I had a dream (partly nightmare) that the admissions committee chose the applicants NFL draft style. For some reason I was able to see and hear how the draft was going. I started begging and pleading for one member (who I have no idea who they are) to draft me when it was her "pick" and I just felt totally invisible. I woke up before she chose her "pick" for the first round so I have no clue if I was drafted or not, hence why I partly consider it a nightmare. I'm hoping I'll have the dream again so I can see if I get drafted or not, but it might also terrify me haha.

Last night I had a dream (partly nightmare) that the admissions committee chose the applicants NFL draft style. For some reason I was able to see and hear how the draft was going. I started begging and pleading for one member (who I have no idea who they are) to draft me when it was her "pick" and I just felt totally invisible. I woke up before she chose her "pick" for the first round so I have no clue if I was drafted or not, hence why I partly consider it a nightmare. I'm hoping I'll have the dream again so I can see if I get drafted or not, but it might also terrify me haha.

I had a dream that I was with a group of other applicants and we were being put through this haunted house/obstacle course as part of our last step in the admissions process. I woke up feeling incredibly anxious, so I totally feel your pain!

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all I can't handle this right now! Maybe our letters will be out by next friday????? They tend to typically send out close to the weekends. :heckyeah::wideyed::clap:

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know what a good or accepted IS number is on A&M's point system? Like what point value would one have to feel confident? Probably a long shot but I thought I'd ask...I'm going mega-neurotic tonight and trying to make Excel telling me I've got a shot ;)

Anyone know what a good or accepted IS number is on A&M's point system? Like what point value would one have to feel confident? Probably a long shot but I thought I'd ask...I'm going mega-neurotic tonight and trying to make Excel telling me I've got a shot ;)

They don't release any of the points or how they're done. It's all based on averages of that year, so they never release them.

I can tell you the average was around 200.5 last year but it changes every year depending on the applicant pool

Last edited:
If you go to your exit interview (if you don't make it in) then they will tell you the points you had and what the points they accepted for the incoming class

I used the drawing feature on my tablet a lot and I typed, it depended on the notes that were given to us and how complete they were. It depends on how you study and take notes.

I can tell you the average was around 200.5 last year but it changes every year depending on the applicant pool
That's so interesting, thanks! It's funny, even though they have a very specific and delineated points system, the whole thing still seems a bit mysterious to me!

If you go to your exit interview (if you don't make it in) then they will tell you the points you had and what the points they accepted for the incoming class
Sincerely hoping I never find out my real point total, in this case! :eek:

Sorry. Last year I had less than 200 and Yolanda had said most people over 200 get in

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they probably don't release much information about the point system because its not a hard and fast way for picking applicants. Even though it seems like the point system plays a huge factor into the process, they do mention on the website that certain criteria may be given more weight for applicants after the interviews take place. Just a thought. :)

"Once the interviews are completed, the weight of the different criteria may be altered to give more weight to criteria that show the applicant is prepared for the rigorous professional curriculum (rigor) and to criteria that can be assessed only by the interview."

Yeah I definitely think there is a subjective aspect even tho there is a points system

It may be a bit early, but how do first years typically go about finding roommates/housing? I cant wait to move to Texas this summer (from CT) and would love to start planning.

There will be a lot of stuff posted on the Facebook page for your class once it gets created. :) Some people also use Craigslist and I believe once you get your A&M credentials (not the CVM credentials), you can access sites like AggieSearch.

Great. Ill probably wait for the facebook page...seems like a good way to find other vet med roommates!

Epivet, do you by any chance know the average interview score that is given? Or rather how many points the interview is worth of the total 300 pts?

Epivet, do you by any chance know the average interview score that is given? Or rather how many points the interview is worth of the total 300 pts?

For some reason 60 points sticks in my mind. I see that the point value isn't listed on the website anymore. I was confused by the value of the interview, because it would actually have made the total points equal more than 300. So...not sure. Either they goofed or I'm not remembering correctly.

Edit to say that, per their assignment of points for everything else, the remainder would mean the interview should be 40 points.

For some reason 60 points sticks in my mind. I see that the point value isn't listed on the website anymore. I was confused by the value of the interview, because it would actually have made the total points equal more than 300. So...not sure. Either they goofed or I'm not remembering correctly.

Edit to say that, per their assignment of points for everything else, the remainder would mean the interview should be 40 points.

I originally thought it was worth 60 points. I read up on it last cycle and that's what I remembered. After doing the math this year, I also figured it was worth 40. I think they must have changed the point value. That or we are both making crazy things up in our heads. :confused:

No, I definitely think it was 60. And seeing as how they increased the point value to make the interview have more weight when they started doing the MMI format, I'd be surprised if they suddenly decided to make it worth less...But who knows.

I also think it is interesting how they no longer consider applicants that fall in the bottom 20th percentile for interview scores.

I heard a rumor that they are sending out letters Monday.. I know it's a federal holiday so people in CS should supposedly get them around Wednesday! Get ready to stalk the mail man haha

I heard a rumor that they are sending out letters Monday.. I know it's a federal holiday so people in CS should supposedly get them around Wednesday! Get ready to stalk the mail man haha

Hmmm... where did you happen upon this rumor?

I'm in Huntsville, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump over from CS.... stalking will commence. :ninja:

Someone heard from someone in the admissions office. lol can't be too specific, don't wanna get anyone in trouble. My stalking will start Tuesday.

Holy smokes! It's taking a lot of poise to not physically react to today's posts by jumping, dancing, crying, etc.

My stalking will also start Tuesday.
However, my manic obsession will start now.
I'm only being a little dramatic. ;)

No idea if it's true, but I hope it is! So exciting! I'll have my fingers and toes crossed for all of you! Think positive big white packet thoughts!

Reactions: 2 users
OMG. I hope we hear that soon. It's terrifying but exciting!!!!! Mailbox stalking will commence probably Monday night ;)

I can definitely say the bottom 20% rule is a fact. I have a couple friends who fell in there, and one of them had over 200 points even with a bad interview and they didn't get in.

Last edited:
OMG. OMG. OMG. And of course I have a test Tuesday AND a test Wednesday...I'm sure focusing won't be an issue...o_O

Oh God! This is so exciting! I'm wondering, though, do we know what makes an interview fall into the bottom 20 percent?

Yeah how can they send them Monday if there is no mail? doesn't that just essentially mean they are sending them Tuesday....haha

Haha touché. I just heard they are sending them out Monday but of course they won't mail out until Tuesday I just want to know!! This week is going to go by soo slow now *sigh*

Oh God! This is so exciting! I'm wondering, though, do we know what makes an interview fall into the bottom 20 percent?
I'm really curious about this too...like what does that look like, you know?

Well when I fell into bottom 20 last year my feedback was super vague and didn't make sense so good luck with that haha

Well when I fell into bottom 20 last year my feedback was super vague and didn't make sense so good luck with that haha

Awww that must have been so frustrating! :/ I really hope no one hears that this cycle :)

I was about to say they will send them Monday, because A&M never gives us off for small holidays.....but that doesn't mean the mail will be running :)

Also so basically what I've heard about the bottom 20% is that the interviewees were really nervous, or felt intimidated, or didn't think they gave complete answers to the scenarios. If you felt like you rocked your interview then my guess is you're probably ok, but every person is different as well as every interviewer. No negative thoughts! Sending lots of positive juju to everyone whether this be your first, second, or third time applying! Good luck everyone and happy valentine's day!!!

thanks that helps to know. last year i thought my answers were shaky as well as i just looked really bad i'm sure. this year i felt like i was smoother and had more solid answers. so fingers crossed.

I was about to say they will send them Monday, because A&M never gives us off for small holidays.....but that doesn't mean the mail will be running :)

Also so basically what I've heard about the bottom 20% is that the interviewees were really nervous, or felt intimidated, or didn't think they gave complete answers to the scenarios. If you felt like you rocked your interview then my guess is you're probably ok, but every person is different as well as every interviewer. No negative thoughts! Sending lots of positive juju to everyone whether this be your first, second, or third time applying! Good luck everyone and happy valentine's day!!!

Thank you! That's good to know. The 20 percent rule is a bit scary! They don't really specify what they're looking for, which I suppose is the point, but still...

Hey guys I'm OOS and excited to hear from A&M. Hopefully it will be a phone call. Good luck and I hope it comes soon!

Hey guys I'm OOS and excited to hear from A&M. Hopefully it will be a phone call. Good luck and I hope it comes soon!
Hello! I'm OOS, too. We can anxiously wait together. Some other OOS people received phone calls last week.

Hello! I'm OOS, too. We can anxiously wait together. Some other OOS people received phone calls last week.
If other OOS have already heard I feel like thats a bad sign. They dont take that many so they probably made all the calls at the same time I would think

If other OOS have already heard I feel like thats a bad sign. They dont take that many so they probably made all the calls at the same time I would think
That's what I thought, too, but I'm still desperately hoping. I guess we find out about waitlisting or rejection through snail mail like ISers.

That's what I thought, too, but I'm still desperately hoping. I guess we find out about waitlisting or rejection through snail mail like ISers.

Maybe check the threads from previous years? After phone calls went out Wednesday I checked ℅ 2018 to try to figure out the lag between OOS calls and IS letters and no one posted about calls. So maybe check back before then to see how the calls were done, especially since last year seemed to be on a different timeline.

Also I realized we're opposite applicants after looking at the UF thread- I'm IS here and OOS there. I wish you the best of luck and maybe I'll see you at one of them!

Maybe check the threads from previous years? After phone calls went out Wednesday I checked ℅ 2018 to try to figure out the lag between OOS calls and IS letters and no one posted about calls. So maybe check back before then to see how the calls were done, especially since last year seemed to be on a different timeline.

Also I realized we're opposite applicants after looking at the UF thread- I'm IS here and OOS there. I wish you the best of luck and maybe I'll see you at one of them!
I've looked at the previous threads, and not many people posted about OOS calls. It seems that there's about a week or two between OOS calls and IS letters, but I couldn't really find anything about if calls were made on multiple days. This suuuucks.

I knew I had seen your name somewhere else! That would be awesome if we ended up in one of the classes together.

There were 4 OOSers in my interview group (I think) and one that I know of in the group before mine, and the woman checking us in told me I was her 4th Florida person that day, so I'm guessing at least 8 on the one day of interviewing alone. The total probably was around 16.

one of my friends told me kenita said they interviewed 220 people