Texas MOT Applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else super excited and nervous to hear about UTMB tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else super excited and nervous to hear about UTMB tomorrow?
Oh my gosh I'm losing my mind, I don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep tonight! I only made it to the wait list last year so I think I'm feeling so much more pressure

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my gosh I'm losing my mind, I don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep tonight! I only made it to the wait list last year so I think I'm feeling so much more pressure
Ah well good luck girl!!!! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :) is UTMB the only school you applied to??

Same here. I wonder if it's email or mail we'll be receiving. UTMB is my last hope as one of my reference writer screwed me over for UTSA and TECH :(

Same here. I wonder if it's email or mail we'll be receiving. UTMB is my last hope as one of my reference writer screwed me over for UTSA and TECH :(
Last spring when I found out I only made it to the wait list I found out via email, so hopefully it's the same!

Well. I was not accepted. Sigh. I am really excited for everyone on the thread who got both accepted & wait listed. I wish the best for you in your futures as OT's.

Last edited:
Well. I was not accepted. Sigh. I am really excited for everyone on the thread who got both accepted & wait listed. I wish the best for you in your futures as OT's.
You weren't accepted where? To TWU?

Does anybody know what time ish we will get the email?
I was thinking we would have been expecting them in the morning since that was when we received the other ones but I guess not!

I just got an acceptance email from UTMB, however I am most likely going to go to TWU Houston instead. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
About 15 minutes ago.. I'm sure they're still in the process of sending them out.

I got in!!! Thank you Jesus! this was my last hope as i didn't receive an acceptance or wait-list email from TWU. Congrats to those of you who made it and to the rest....don't give up...the emails aren't all out yet.

I just got my acceptance letter as well, and now I have a decision to make between UTMB and Tech. I know all too well how it feels to not get in, and my only advice to everyone is to keep on keeping on. My overall GPA wasn't the best and I had other things in my past to overcome, but I put my best foot forward and got in after a few attempts. Never give up, if you keep trying it's not if, but when.

I got accepted at TWU Houston. My stats are not great. Overall GPA 3.1 prerequisites GPA 3.53 Volunteer/observation 40 hours.
I do not think TWU goes by GPA only because I would certainly not have been accepted. I do have 6 years working experience and I interacted with OTs though not regularly. I was not even considered for an interview by UTMB. To everyone on the waitlist good luck, I wish you all the best. Those who were not accepted, please do not give up, keep trying and eventually a school will accept you.

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted to UTMB! I unfortunately got put on the wait list. I am expecting the worst, and hoping for the best. I also applied to the UTHSCA. I will be looking to apply to UTPA as my last option as there application is due Feb 1st. Has anyone else looked into this program?

I got wait listed for TWU and accepted to UTMB!!! Still have the UTHSCSA interview in January. GPA is 3.89 and pre-req GPA is 4.0

I was accepted into UTMB as well as Tech.
3.84 overall, 3.9 pre-req.

It's nice to have the option to choose where to go, but honestly I haven't been as impressed with UTMB! The shorter program length IS attractive, though. Hmmm.

I got wait listed for TWU and accepted to UTMB!!! Still have the UTHSCSA interview in January. GPA is 3.89 and pre-req GPA is 4.0
When did you receive your invite from SA?.. And when did you submit your application?

I wonder how long it typically takes to get off the waitlist... or when you'll know you're rejected. It feels kind of cruel to not at least give us a number of people on the waitlist.

I spoke to a current OT student who was on the waitlist last year and she didn't hear from TWU Dallas until mid-June. School starts in August, so I guess if we don't hear something by June or July we most likely didn't make the cut:(

Someone should make a Facebook group for each school so we can get to know the other people in our class!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who got into UTMB! And all other schools. OT school is so competitive and even those of us on the waitlist should feel like we've accomplished something...

As far as TWU goes, did the acceptance email for Dallas or Houston give a date by which you have to pay a deposit to hold your space, or a date by which you should let them know your decision? Just curious when waitlist people may begin hearing something! Though I'm figuring that it will at least be after January 31st, as that was when we were told to let the OT school know if we wanted to remain on the waitlist.

We have to accept the admission for TWU Houston by January 31st. UTMB is January 17th.

I think they start moving people off wait list as soon as Feb as people decline offers for whatever reason and can go as late as August up until start date. There are probably people even then that may have some extenuating circumstances that prevents them from being able to go last minute. I'm praying for the best for everyone. But it's nerve wrecking at times waiting even longer for the "possibility if getting in".

Last edited:
I got accepted at TWU Houston. My stats are not great. Overall GPA 3.1 prerequisites GPA 3.53 Volunteer/observation 40 hours.
I do not think TWU goes by GPA only because I would certainly not have been accepted. I do have 6 years working experience and I interacted with OTs though not regularly. I was not even considered for an interview by UTMB. To everyone on the waitlist good luck, I wish you all the best. Those who were not accepted, please do not give up, keep trying and eventually a school will accept you.
What was you last 60 GPA if you don't mind me asking?

I have 12 hours of grad school credit GPA 3.93 My understanding is that this takes the place of the last 60 hours.

Congrats! I mistakenly thought you were the person waitlisted.

Last edited:
3.89 is my overall GPA and I received my invite for San Antonio about a week ago. I submitted my application at the end of September.
Oh ok thank you! I have yet to receive mine. My overall GPA is a 3.93 and I submitted my 2 wks before the deadline so I'm anxiously waiting for mine.

Was anyone on here accepted to UTMB that is actually going to accept and go to UTMB?

I spoke to a current OT student who was on the waitlist last year and she didn't hear from TWU Dallas until mid-June. School starts in August, so I guess if we don't hear something by June or July we most likely didn't make the cut:(
Did she provide her stats?

Did you get a letter via usps?
Has anyone received a TWU rejection letter? I applied to TWU Houston and am assuming by now that I was not accepted, but I haven't received anything yet. Anybody in the same boat?

Has anyone received a TWU rejection letter? I applied to TWU Houston and am assuming by now that I was not accepted, but I haven't received anything yet. Anybody in the same boat?

I still have not heard anything from TWU

I still have not received a rejection letter yet from TWU either. I applied to TWU Houston and live only about 15 minutes way from the campus, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't have received a rejection letter yet (if they were sent), since I have not gotten a waitlist/acceptance email. But so far, no letter. Who else hasn't heard anything?

You're not alone, mc1720. I haven't heard anything from twu either. I tried calling to confirm if I was flat out rejected before Christmas but with the weather and holiday closures, I wasn't able to get through. I will call tomorrow morning and let you know what I find out.

I came upon this thread as I was looking for a Facebook group that had possibly already been made for the different campuses. No luck with that but official letters were to be sent out early to mid January. I received the acceptance/ recommendation email mid December so I'm hoping to receive the official letter before this month is over. For the TWU Dallas campus. Good luck to all who are still waiting and congrats to all those already accepted. If I still don't find a group page by the time letters come around, I'll make one and post the link! Or if anyone else has already done so please post! Thanks!

You're not alone, mc1720. I haven't heard anything from twu either. I tried calling to confirm if I was flat out rejected before Christmas but with the weather and holiday closures, I wasn't able to get through. I will call tomorrow morning and let you know what I find out.
Did you reach anyone?

I called Lawana directly. She said if we did not get an email then we are for sure rejected. Sorry to everyone else like me who didn't get one. They are sending out official rejection letters sometime this month but she didn't specify when. She would not look me up and confirm my rejection status for me. But not getting an email is essentially confirmation that we are rejected and not even on the waiting list. So much for my fantasy of being able to bike 2 miles to school.... I'm either waiting a year and working or moving.

I called Lawana directly. She said if we did not get an email then we are for sure rejected. Sorry to everyone else like me who didn't get one. They are sending out official rejection letters sometime this month but she didn't specify when. She would not look me up and confirm my rejection status for me. But not getting an email is essentially confirmation that we are rejected and not even on the waiting list. So much for my fantasy of being able to bike 2 miles to school.... I'm either waiting a year and working or moving.

Thanks for letting us know.

I'm not sure what my plan is now, either. It's such a gamble to wait to reapply only to wait again (and in the best case scenario, we're accepted and have to wait some more before we can begin). And there's only so much we can do to improve our applications. We can't change our undergrad GPA's. I could finish taking all the prereq's -- at the expense of taking the prereq's I'd need to apply to some other program (of course, one B would ruin everything). . . Had you completed all the prereq's when you applied?

Does anyone know of any other programs with overlapping prereq's?

Sully- Its a tough position and I'm right there with you. I'm a nontraditional student through and through. Flunked out when I was 18, went to art school, a trade school, worked, then went back for my undergrad and prereqs with OT being my long term goal. Sooo... yeah. This process has already been a major commitment and as of right now, I have no pending applications. Sigh. I currently have a 3.7 gpa but UTMB added in my grades from over a decade ago (I'm 29 now) and flat out rejected me. Apparently with those old grades my GPA ended up a 2.97. Ouch. I couldn't apply to UTSA b/c they require you to graduate in the fall and I'll be done this spring with undergrad. TWU rejected me (I'm literally down the block from them). Tech was unappealing due to distance. I'm looking into St. Augustine in Austin and about to turn in my OTCAS. There are still quite a few MOT programs outside of texas that haven't had their admission deadlines yet, and good ones too.

I have the basic prereqs done now but not everything for every program. I was going to just take anything necessary this summer depending on if I got in someplace I wanted to go. I had a great GRE score but of course none of the Texas school care about that. And I had done 160 hours volunteering at a top ranked rehab hospital this summer. I got B-'s in A&P (It had been so long since I had taken a science class and I got overwhelmed!). Oh and I didn't have all my prereqs done when I applied since I finished those up this semester. Theyre all done now but its too late to do any good for my tx applications. St. Augustine has an open house in a couple of weeks. I'm going to go check them out. Its private so its expensive (might as well go out of state and go to a higher ranked school for the same $) plus they are not accredited yet. The major pull for me to stay in Tx is that I'm a single mom. My kid is 7 so its not like trying to move on my own with a young'un but still, it would be hard to be that far from my friends and family. I wish there was some way to convey to schools just what we've had to sacrifice and how hard we've worked to just get to the point of applying. I'm disappointed and frustrated but I'm not giving up!

Anyone going to the UTHSCSA OT interview next friday??

Sully- Its a tough position and I'm right there with you. I'm a nontraditional student through and through. Flunked out when I was 18, went to art school, a trade school, worked, then went back for my undergrad and prereqs with OT being my long term goal. Sooo... yeah. This process has already been a major commitment and as of right now, I have no pending applications. Sigh. I currently have a 3.7 gpa but UTMB added in my grades from over a decade ago (I'm 29 now) and flat out rejected me. Apparently with those old grades my GPA ended up a 2.97. Ouch. I couldn't apply to UTSA b/c they require you to graduate in the fall and I'll be done this spring with undergrad. TWU rejected me (I'm literally down the block from them). Tech was unappealing due to distance. I'm looking into St. Augustine in Austin and about to turn in my OTCAS. There are still quite a few MOT programs outside of texas that haven't had their admission deadlines yet, and good ones too.

I have the basic prereqs done now but not everything for every program. I was going to just take anything necessary this summer depending on if I got in someplace I wanted to go. I had a great GRE score but of course none of the Texas school care about that. And I had done 160 hours volunteering at a top ranked rehab hospital this summer. I got B-'s in A&P (It had been so long since I had taken a science class and I got overwhelmed!). Oh and I didn't have all my prereqs done when I applied since I finished those up this semester. Theyre all done now but its too late to do any good for my tx applications. St. Augustine has an open house in a couple of weeks. I'm going to go check them out. Its private so its expensive (might as well go out of state and go to a higher ranked school for the same $) plus they are not accredited yet. The major pull for me to stay in Tx is that I'm a single mom. My kid is 7 so its not like trying to move on my own with a young'un but still, it would be hard to be that far from my friends and family. I wish there was some way to convey to schools just what we've had to sacrifice and how hard we've worked to just get to the point of applying. I'm disappointed and frustrated but I'm not giving up!

Kt828, your attitude is as inspiring as your journey. Sadly, it is discouraging for someone like me -- also a nontraditional type, but lacking your degree of dedication and genuine passion for the particular profession. I went to a liberal arts college and majored in theatre. This was back when your major was pretty secondary as long as you went to a good school (I graduated in 2006 and am also 29 now). Last year I decided I was through with being poor, and chose to pursue OT out of combination of interest and pragmatism. I finished AP1 and Developmental Psych in time for the application deadline, and I've got Medical Terminology completed now, too. I'm already registered for AP2 and Abnormal Psych for this semester, but I'm not sure what use they will be now. Although I think it sounds like a wonderful profession in which I would be successful, OT has not been my life's devotion, like it has been for you. I'm not willing to gamble away another year and a half of my life to reapply, particularly when my odds are so low. I am open to any programs (in Houston) that require the prereq's I've already taken. If you have any thoughts, please share.

TWU's WebAdvisor has officially been updated to show whether you were accepted, denied or waitlisted.