Texas Tech Pharmacy Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys!! I had a question about the supplemental app. The life experiences statement..is that supposed to be like an essay? I am not sure what type of format they're expecting..any tips? That is the only thing that I have left to complete before I submit my app.

When I submitted mine last year I wrote it as a statement and not broken up into paragraphs or essay format. Just make sure you can make it flow and end on a positive note. It doesn't have to necessarily be happy or sad. Just make sure you give the reader an insight to who you are and what you have gone through/accomplished to get to this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone tried accessing the forms to print out in the invitation email yet? Some of the links don't work for me :(

Wow congrats guys!! I'm sure yall will do awesome!! Sadly I decided to take my PCAT on September 17th which I think put me in a bad spot =/

You should be fine, just email your official report to tech right after your test. Just study hard and knock out the PCAT!

Congratulations to everyone that has already gotten an interview invitation. When you visit the campus my advice is to plan to look at a few apartment complexes while you are in town. Might be helpful down the road.

Good Luck!

My friend who attends texas tech suggested the same thing. Any apartments you recommend?

Hi guys!! I had a question about the supplemental app. The life experiences statement..is that supposed to be like an essay? I am not sure what type of format they're expecting..any tips? That is the only thing that I have left to complete before I submit my app.

Just write a simple 5 paragraph essay about an experience that affect you. It is an optional essay, so don't worry too much about it. However its another chance for you to display your writing skills and promote an experience that may influence their decision for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a question regarding the interview dates. Do they only offer the interview on the 20th and 27th?

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the interview dates. Do they only offer the interview on the 20th and 27th?

Are you early decision? If so, yeah those are the only interview dates. If you cant make it on those dates, you should call and ask them if there are any other options

Are you early decision? If so, yeah those are the only interview dates. If you cant make it on those dates, you should call and ask them if there are any other options

Yes, I am doing early decision, but I have not received any offer yet which makes me so worried :(. That's why I was wondering if there is any other dates...

Last edited:
Yes, I am doing early decision, but I have not received any offer yet which makes me so worried :(. That's why I was wondering if there is any other dates...

You should call them and ask.. they are really helpful! Does your GPA and PCAT meet the requirement?

For apartments there are some that are more popular than others. It depends on how much you want to spend, whether you have any pets, and whether you plan on having a roommate or not.

The most popular are Winchester, Renaissance, and Quail Creek.

I personally live at Renaissance and love it. This complex does get a waiting list so if it is an interest, make sure you're on the list by winter break.

There should be a file attached to this post that gives you a pro/con list of some available apartments. It made for us by some current P2 students. My class will probably make sure revisions before sending the incoming class an official document but for now this should help.

Attachments

• List of Amarillo Apartments.xls
    52 KB · Views: 141
For apartments there are some that are more popular than others. It depends on how much you want to spend, whether you have any pets, and whether you plan on having a roommate or not.

I personally live at Renaissance and love it. This complex does get a waiting list so if it is an interest, make sure you're on the list by winter break.

There should be a file attached to this post that gives you a pro/con list of some available apartments. It made for us by some current P2 students. My class will probably make sure revisions before sending the incoming class an official document but for now this should help.

We appreciate you sharing this with us. I'm sure it'll help us when time comes

Last edited:

Thank you sooooo much! That document is extremely helpful :)

Interviews start Friday so make sure you have looked over some behavioral interview questions and have a couple of scenarios in mind. Looking forward to meeting you all soon.

Here is a link to a few behavioral interview questions, don't expect all of them to come from this page though.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/behavorialinterviews/a/behavioral-interview-questions.htm

And remember to bring those few forms with you to the interview that are required.

No forms are required of you at the interview. They will provide everything, including the schedule that they tell you to print and bring with you. You don't have to show vaccination records unless you are accepted.

Make sure you have checked over the list and taken a look at your interview schedule beforehand. It will be an all day interview so be prepared for that.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/invitedforinterview.aspx

The P1 class will be getting out of lab at 4pm on Fridays so if you have questions after the interview, there will be plenty of people around to talk to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been thinking that this interview may be different from the others being that it is an early decision interview. Maybe they will ask more questions like, "why our school over all the others?" Does anyone think this will be true?

I've been thinking that this interview may be different from the others being that it is an early decision interview. Maybe they will ask more questions like, "why our school over all the others?" Does anyone think this will be true?

I was thinking the same thing! They will most probably ask those kind of questions..so just research about tech as much as u can..also they want to get to know us better so we should be ready for "tell me about yourself" etc.

When I did the early decision interview last year I don't remember them asking that question. If for some reason they did there are plenty of easy answers but anything works. (went to Tech undergrad, like the idea of Clinical Pharmacy, heard great things from previous/current students, etc.)

Good Luck and I will see some of you tomorrow.

Does anyone happen to know how much the school weighs each subtest of the PCAT? I noticed on the website that they want 50% composite or greater, and the average accepted score is around 73. However, it doesn't say anything about the minimum for each subtest. Thanks!

Hey guys anyone interview in Abilene on the 20th?!

Mine is on the 27th in Amarillo! How did the interview go?

Does anyone happen to know how much the school weighs each subtest of the PCAT? I noticed on the website that they want 50% composite or greater, and the average accepted score is around 73. However, it doesn't say anything about the minimum for each subtest. Thanks!

I haven't read anything regarding the percentiles for each section. As far as I know, tech mainly looks at the composite score.

It went awesome, everyone is super nice. Tuanthetiger, do you live in houston? Did you happen to be at the volunteer pharmacy orientation at Ben Taub awihle ago? I remember a guy named tuan there and was curious

It went awesome, everyone is super nice. Tuanthetiger, do you live in houston? Did you happen to be at the volunteer pharmacy orientation at Ben Taub awihle ago? I remember a guy named tuan there and was curious

Sounds great! I actually do not, I live in lubbock. Tuan is actually a common Vietnamese name!

Sounds great! I actually do not, I live in lubbock. Tuan is actually a common Vietnamese name!

Haha my bad. But yeah don't stress about the interview, just be yourself and honest. I inteviewed in Abilene but want to go to Amarillo.

I haven't read anything regarding the percentiles for each section. As far as I know, tech mainly looks at the composite score.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the response, Tuan. Good luck with your interview! :)

What do you all think about the Amarillo campus? I personally haven't been able to visit it but plan on soon. Thoughts on Abilene vs. Amarillo?

Does anyone have any tips for the group dilemma portion of the interview?

You have like half an hour I think to brainstorm. Make sure everyone contributes. Listen to everyone. I don't know if they do the same dilemma every year, but my group came up with several different ways to handle the situation, and even if we didn't all contribute to each solution, we each contributed to at least one.

They ask you about how you worked together to reach a solution, so we had used some white board space to write bullet points. It's also important that everyone share the solutions you come up with. Person A goes over solution A, Person B goes over solution B, etc. We had another person go a little more into depth on why we chose those options, and we all answered questions from the faculty when they asked them.

You have like half an hour I think to brainstorm. Make sure everyone contributes. Listen to everyone. I don't know if they do the same dilemma every year, but my group came up with several different ways to handle the situation, and even if we didn't all contribute to each solution, we each contributed to at least one.

They ask you about how you worked together to reach a solution, so we had used some white board space to write bullet points. It's also important that everyone share the solutions you come up with. Person A goes over solution A, Person B goes over solution B, etc. We had another person go a little more into depth on why we chose those options, and we all answered questions from the faculty when they asked them.

Hey there I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on both campuses if possible? I interviewed in Abilene last week and thought the campus was very nice with a friendly environment. What are the benefits/disadvtanges in terms of both campuses?

I posted it on the first page, but I'll copy/paste.

My preference is for Amarillo all four years. I don't really like moving.

Plus Amarillo has the School of Medicine, School of Allied Health Sciences, and School of Biomedical Sciences on one campus. Abilene just has the School of Nursing. There are More students at AMA, so there are more chances to network and make friends, within the SOP and with students from the other buildings. On the other hand, some people would favor the closer feeling of being in a class of 40 in ABI over 115 in AMA. AMA also has a larger population, so they'll have more amenities.

Both campuses have classes taught by video chat, so there's not much difference there. It will really come down to which you feel will fit you best.

Hi incoming class! been studying for a giant exam for tomorrow but I'm going to take a break from studying.

Here are some tips for the interview that worked for me and hopefully you guys might find helpful:

1. RELAX:cool:.Texas Tech is actually known to have quite a strict and organized process for choosing applicants to interview. So having been offered an interview obviously means there is something in you that they like. Something I've noticed about all the faculty and staff here is that they genuinely want you to succeed, so they are here to just to know you better and not grill you.:)

2. NOT sure about this year, but last year, the actual interview portion was just 5 questions and they were all questions about past experiences. Some of my questions I remember were "tell me about a time you resolved a conflict at work" and "tell me about a time you took leadership" and "tell me about a time you had to demonstrate teamwork". you get the idea.

3. DON'T freak out over the little test they give you during the interview. Honestly, you are NOT meant to do super well on it. It is just a personality test developed to determine an applicants way of viewing things. At my interview (amarillo), Mike told us that if you get a 100, it means your abnormal LOL. so yeah. just chill and dont worry.;)

4. You will be given quite a nice and long lunch period. Enjoy the food, but MAKE sure to utilize this time to talk to everyone around you, fellow applicants, staff, current students, and professors. This is your time to make a lasting impression and show them that you are really interested in attending the program!

Good luck!

I currently live at QUAIL CREEK! if anyone wants to know more about the apt, let me know! I can send images and tell you all about the student discounts, pros and cons!

Some of the reasons why I chose to live at QC:

like literally a 3 minute drive to school

outdoor parking sheds

the staff is really nice and fast

the apt is situated in an area filled of Doctors offices and clinics so its a very very safe area.

you get a student discount so rent is super cheap, for 2 people its like 375 per person. not including gas or electric

I posted it on the first page, but I'll copy/paste.

My preference is for Amarillo all four years. I don't really like moving.

Plus Amarillo has the School of Medicine, School of Allied Health Sciences, and School of Biomedical Sciences on one campus. Abilene just has the School of Nursing. There are More students at AMA, so there are more chances to network and make friends, within the SOP and with students from the other buildings. On the other hand, some people would favor the closer feeling of being in a class of 40 in ABI over 115 in AMA. AMA also has a larger population, so they'll have more amenities.

Both campuses have classes taught by video chat, so there's not much difference there. It will really come down to which you feel will fit you best.

Thanks for the info! I agree with you, AMA will have more opportunities for networking but Abilene is just as nice. If I get an offer I will definitely be going to Amarillo. Anyone know the percentage of individuals who applied for early decision get accepted?

Thanks for the info! I agree with you, AMA will have more opportunities for networking but Abilene is just as nice. If I get an offer I will definitely be going to Amarillo. Anyone know the percentage of individuals who applied for early decision get accepted?

The advisor told me it was 14/19 the first year and 45/51 last year for early decision applicants. The numbers might be off by 1 or 2 people, I don't completely remember but the rate is high.

Hi incoming class! been studying for a giant exam for tomorrow but I'm going to take a break from studying.

Here are some tips for the interview that worked for me and hopefully you guys might find helpful:

1. RELAX:cool:.Texas Tech is actually known to have quite a strict and organized process for choosing applicants to interview. So having been offered an interview obviously means there is something in you that they like. Something I've noticed about all the faculty and staff here is that they genuinely want you to succeed, so they are here to just to know you better and not grill you.:)

2. NOT sure about this year, but last year, the actual interview portion was just 5 questions and they were all questions about past experiences. Some of my questions I remember were "tell me about a time you resolved a conflict at work" and "tell me about a time you took leadership" and "tell me about a time you had to demonstrate teamwork". you get the idea.

3. DON'T freak out over the little test they give you during the interview. Honestly, you are NOT meant to do super well on it. It is just a personality test developed to determine an applicants way of viewing things. At my interview (amarillo), Mike told us that if you get a 100, it means your abnormal LOL. so yeah. just chill and dont worry.;)

4. You will be given quite a nice and long lunch period. Enjoy the food, but MAKE sure to utilize this time to talk to everyone around you, fellow applicants, staff, current students, and professors. This is your time to make a lasting impression and show them that you are really interested in attending the program!

Good luck!

You are awesome!

Who will all be interviewing this coming Friday in AMA?! If yall want to, we can have dinner after the interview and talk about the school or answer any questions yall may have!

Oh yeah. and last year, pretty much all the ED applicants go accepted. you would have to screw up pretty badly to get rejected from ED! good luck!

Oh yeah. and last year, pretty much all the ED applicants go accepted. you would have to screw up pretty badly to get rejected from ED! good luck![/QUOTE]

That is amazing to hear that..

I'm going to be interviewing tomorrow! I'm so nervous. What do you recommend I wear, and do I need to bring anything?

Goodluck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Be yourself, stay confident and relax because it's going to be a long day!

Hey did Mike tell y'all a date when the admissions committee is going to meet, last week he didn't have a specific date?

Hey did Mike tell y'all a date when the admissions committee is going to meet, last week he didn't have a specific date?

He said the admissions committee will meet on the 8th (or 9th.. Dont remember for sure) and they should have their decision by 10th..and they have to let pharmcas know by 18th latest so hopefully we should hear well before that!! Ahhh the wait..worst part!!

He said the admissions committee will meet on the 8th (or 9th.. Dont remember for sure) and they should have their decision by 10th..and they have to let pharmcas know by 18th latest so hopefully we should hear well before that!! Ahhh the wait..worst part!!

Thank you, and for sure!!

This wait is going to be the death of me.. haha. Now that interviews are over, what's everyone doing? School, work, traveling?

This wait is going to be the death of me.. haha. Now that interviews are over, what's everyone doing? School, work, traveling?

Finishing up prerequisites and having a hard time focusing on that because all I can think about is getting accepted.

hahah I was one of the P1s at the QandA session on this past Fridays interview. Hopefully we didnt scare yall too much