The 2012 Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right, I've seen that one. I'm just trying to factor UCLA into the mix and haven't heard much back about how people view UCLA compared to the others...but thank you Cathyran! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I have most of my rank list set, just trying to make some final decisions. I keep going back and forth, and am having some trouble deciding between Cornell and MGH.

What do all of you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Top and bottom are set. Just need a little help in the middle of my rank list. Opinions?

Hopkins
Vanderbilt
Michigan
UAB
NW

Was reading through the thread and saw your first post. Comparing it to your other higher ranked programs I would say:

Vandy = Michigan > Hopkins > Northwestern

Didn't go to UAB so can't really say.

looks like we interviewed at a lot of the same places Cathyran. Based purely on reputation, I would put Hopkins before your other programs. I loved Vandy and Northwestern though too. Michigan is a really solid program, but I wasn't a huge fan of freezing Ann Arbor. (I didn't interview at UAB.)

So I have most of my rank list set, just trying to make some final decisions. I keep going back and forth, and am having some trouble deciding between Cornell and MGH.

What do all of you think?

Yeah that's a tough call. Had the same trouble deciding between these 2 and couple other programs at the top of my list. Both are phenomenal programs with great clinical training with the major differences I was considering in regional (Cornell has HSS) and peds (MGH has Children's). Both work a little harder than some of the other top tier programs, which is something I actually preferred (bit of a masochist). Both are in awesome cities and great locations within their respective cities with similar COL. For me, it actually came down to my SO with Boston being better for her job. However, if it were just me, I think Cornell would've barely edged out MGH.

If you're strongly considering fellowships, UNC seems to have all the fellowships, plus being in goo weather. Iowa is a hidden gem with fellowships, but I personally wouldn't having spent a few years in Des Moines.

Hey guys. Seems like people on here are really considering some high-power programs. Congrats! As for myself, I know I am not the strongest candidate but I am happy with the choices I have even though they are spread out all over the country. Any input on these programs and/or how you would rank them would be great. I put the list in alphabetical order.

Arizona
Case Western - University Hospitals
Iowa
Loma Linda
Ohio State
Tulane
UNC
Wisconsin

BTW i'm strongly considering critical care fellowship or maybe cardiac. How do these programs stack up in preparing me for these?

Thanks!

If you're strongly considering fellowships, UNC seems to have all the fellowships, plus being in goo weather. Iowa is a hidden gem with fellowships, but I personally wouldn't having spent a few years in Des Moines.

Thanks for the input guys. Well I'm looking for a program that would prepare me well for critical care and/or cardiac fellowship. I don't necessarily have to train at a program that has all the fellowships though. Some say having less fellowships is better since there aren't any fellows to take the "big" cases.

I used to think that way too, until I realized that I would rather have the safety net of having a fellowship at my home program and given the growing competitive nature of fellowships, I'm ranking programs with fellowships higher, then programs where the PD and/or Chair specifically sold the programs by saying they can place people for fellowships with phone calls.

Thanks for the input guys. Well I'm looking for a program that would prepare me well for critical care and/or cardiac fellowship. I don't necessarily have to train at a program that has all the fellowships though. Some say having less fellowships is better since there aren't any fellows to take the "big" cases.

Did any of you guys rank programs with a history of having their graduates fail the boards? I really like this one program, but am weary of ranking it 1, since their graduates have done poorly on the boards.