The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC) MBS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

png08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully there isn't a thread already out there but I noticed there wasn't a thread for the TCMC MBS program for this upcoming year, 16-17 & figured I'd make one! If anyone is interviewing/interviewed or will be attending/thinking about attending, also if you've submitted an application and heard anything back, when did you initially submit your app?!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I am pretty sure that there are no interviews this year. They just take a look at your app and make a decision from that.

Hello!
I am pretty sure that there are no interviews this year. They just take a look at your app and make a decision from that.
Thanks! Did you apply already ?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope to be completed soon. How about yourself?

I submitted yesterday, actually! I gave my recommenders an extra week to have their letters submitted so Im just waiting on them to be officially complete!

That is great! Good luck!!
Mind sharing your stats? If not, I understand!
Also, have you heard anything about the program?

Hi guys,

I submitted my app start of this month and was accepted 2 days ago. Anyone else gotten in so far?
Will probably end up going there if I don't get off hold at my state medical school. See you guys there.

Rohan

Reactions: 1 users
gsk93 - I actually don'1! Nothing personal, I promise!

rohanw- And CONGRATS ! After you submitted your app was it pretty much a silent wait or was admission in contact with you at all?!

gsk93 - I actually don'1! Nothing personal, I promise!

rohanw- And CONGRATS ! After you submitted your app was it pretty much a silent wait or was admission in contact with you at all?!

Thanks! just a silent wait. After I got the acceptance email, I put down the $250 deposit and also a current student called me to ask if I had any questions, which was nice of them. Good Luck.

Submitted application on Jan. 8, received acceptance on Jan. 19.

Highly recommend scheduling a visit to see if it is right fit for you.

Personally, loved it. TCMC really has a great program, but weighing other options as well.

Submitted application on Jan. 8, received acceptance on Jan. 19.

Highly recommend scheduling a visit to see if it is right fit for you.

Personally, loved it. TCMC really has a great program, but weighing other options as well.

Congrats! What are some of your thoughts on the program? Any positives? Negatives? Just general thoughts.

Thanks! just a silent wait. After I got the acceptance email, I put down the $250 deposit and also a current student called me to ask if I had any questions, which was nice of them. Good Luck.

Same questions for you! What are your thoughts on the program? Any comments on the difficulty of the program? Or any thoughts?

Congrats! What are some of your thoughts on the program? Any positives? Negatives? Just general thoughts.

Overall, really liked the program. Here are some thoughts:

Positives: They really want you to succeed. Lots of support from faculty, students. Emphasis on team learning, so expect lots of group-oriented projects, presentations, etc. Have relatively high placement in med, dental schools. Also help you with preparing for interviews for professional programs. Classes are in the afternoon, so that's good if you like studying in the mornings. Also, I'm really big into research, and they have really nice research labs, so that's a huge plus for anyone interested in doing research. Most importantly, if you're looking to go the med school route, you get a guaranteed interview with their med school after fulfilling certain criteria (3.25 GPA, MCAT score of at least 502, LoR from one of the faculty). Note: the GPA you earn from the program is separate from your undergraduate school GPA.

Negatives: Not really a lot, but course work is a GRIND (18 credits/ semester) but definitely doable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds great. Do you know if that is a 3.25 undergraduate cGPA?
I am guessing you picked up on a lot of this information during your visit?

That sounds great. Do you know if that is a 3.25 undergraduate cGPA?
I am guessing you picked up on a lot of this information during your visit?

They want the 3.25 GPA from their program, not from your undergraduate school. A lot of the information I got from my visit, but they have a lot more info online (tcmc.edu). Jillian, the director of admissions, is also really helpful in answering questions.

Hopefully there isn't a thread already out there but I noticed there wasn't a thread for the TCMC MBS program for this upcoming year, 16-17 & figured I'd make one! If anyone is interviewing/interviewed or will be attending/thinking about attending, also if you've submitted an application and heard anything back, when did you initially submit your app?!
Its kinda funny that this threat pops up every year, and the first post is literally almost the same sentence.

Hello!
Overall, really liked the program. Here are some thoughts:

Positives: They really want you to succeed. Lots of support from faculty, students. Emphasis on team learning, so expect lots of group-oriented projects, presentations, etc. Have relatively high placement in med, dental schools. Also help you with preparing for interviews for professional programs. Classes are in the afternoon, so that's good if you like studying in the mornings. Also, I'm really big into research, and they have really nice research labs, so that's a huge plus for anyone interested in doing research. Most importantly, if you're looking to go the med school route, you get a guaranteed interview with their med school after fulfilling certain criteria (3.25 GPA, MCAT score of at least 502, LoR from one of the faculty). Note: the GPA you earn from the program is separate from your undergraduate school GPA.

Negatives: Not really a lot, but course work is a GRIND (18 credits/ semester) but definitely doable.

Just wanted to mention, the GPA is separate but does go into your science GPA. At least that is how it was three years ago.

Just wanted to mention, the GPA is separate but does go into your science GPA. At least that is how it was three years ago.

Are you a graduate of the program?
Do you mind sharing your experience with us?

Thanks ahead of time!

Hi all,
Just thought I would post since I generally just skim these pages but actually have something to offer up here. I applied to this program on Jan 13 and was accepted Jan 19. Will more than likely end up going here unless I get off a wait list before then. I agree with what wlosos said a few posts up and have an overall very good impression of the program. I've been out of school a year and a half with not much luck this application cycle; I'm hoping this program gives me what I need to have a successful next-go-round.

Hi all,
Just thought I would post since I generally just skim these pages but actually have something to offer up here. I applied to this program on Jan 13 and was accepted Jan 19. Will more than likely end up going here unless I get off a wait list before then. I agree with what wlosos said a few posts up and have an overall very good impression of the program. I've been out of school a year and a half with not much luck this application cycle; I'm hoping this program gives me what I need to have a successful next-go-round.

Hello, Congrats on the acceptance!! I just finished my application yesterday. I was wondering what your stats are? I'm in the same boat as you in terms of having no luck getting into schools this round... I hope you don't mind me asking about you stats. Again, congrats on getting in!

Same questions for you! What are your thoughts on the program? Any comments on the difficulty of the program? Or any thoughts?

Well I was just accepted and haven't actually started the program. I am not sure how hard it will be, but I think this will not only help me with getting into medical school but also give me more experience with the material that will be on step 1, so I feel like its a win win. Good luck with admissions :)

They want the 3.25 GPA from their program, not from your undergraduate school. A lot of the information I got from my visit, but they have a lot more info online (tcmc.edu). Jillian, the director of admissions, is also really helpful in answering questions.
They want 3.25 undergrad GPA to get an interview while your in the program. If you already graduated then they want 3.0 from their program.

Based on meeting established criteria listed below, current MBS students and graduates of the program will be guaranteed an interview for the MD program.
  • Graduates of the MBS program will be given an interview for the Doctorate of Medicine (MD) program at TCMC if they are in the top 20% of the class (that equates to 13 students from the class of 2015), have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate science grade point average, scored a minimum of a 26 or 502 on the MCAT, and have submitted Letters of Recommendation (LoR) from TCMC faculty supporting their candidacy.
  • Current students in the MBS program will be given an interview for the MD program at TCMC if they are in the top 20% of the class based on the fall semester grades (that equates to 14 students from the class of 2016), have a minimum 3.25 undergraduate science grade point average, scored a minimum of a 26 or 502 on the MCAT, and have submitted at least one LoR from a TCMC faculty member supporting their candidacy.

Well I was just accepted and haven't actually started the program. I am not sure how hard it will be, but I think this will not only help me with getting into medical school but also give me more experience with the material that will be on step 1, so I feel like its a win win. Good luck with admissions :)

They want 3.25 undergrad GPA to get an interview while your in the program. If you already graduated then they want 3.0 from their program.

Based on meeting established criteria listed below, current MBS students and graduates of the program will be guaranteed an interview for the MD program.
  • Graduates of the MBS program will be given an interview for the Doctorate of Medicine (MD) program at TCMC if they are in the top 20% of the class (that equates to 13 students from the class of 2015), have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate science grade point average, scored a minimum of a 26 or 502 on the MCAT, and have submitted Letters of Recommendation (LoR) from TCMC faculty supporting their candidacy.
  • Current students in the MBS program will be given an interview for the MD program at TCMC if they are in the top 20% of the class based on the fall semester grades (that equates to 14 students from the class of 2016), have a minimum 3.25 undergraduate science grade point average, scored a minimum of a 26 or 502 on the MCAT, and have submitted at least one LoR from a TCMC faculty member supporting their candidacy.

Are you planning on attending?

Are you a graduate of the program?
Do you mind sharing your experience with us?

Thanks ahead of time!

Yes I graduated in 2013 from TCMC MBS and now go to VCOM (3rd year student)

For more details of my experience check out the past TCMC threads, but.....

I'm sure some things have changed but the program in my opinion is very good. It is rigorous for sure., but prepares you well for Medical school. I killed the hard science classes my first year of med school and I credit TCMC for much of it. The courses you take are all relevant. If you are looking at TCMC to boost your grades, hopefully you already have a strong science background as it is difficult to get As in the courses with out it, although I'm sure some do.

Also, from my experience TCMC accepts people into their MD program that are very involved with TCMC functions and community activities. Also, if you don't get in right away, they have accepted people a year or two later from my class, although it appears this may be changing based of their website page (especially with the new requirements for interviews etc., their seems to be a little less room)

I have nothing bad to say about the program other than it is not for everyone. there are certainly some people who spent 40,000 for nothing. Make sure you are prepared and have a strong science background., if you don't .....make sure not to fall behind. The teachers there in the MBS program are very enthusiastic about it (which is rare for these types of programs at other schools), so ask for help if you need it.

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to this school a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knew if opportunities for clinical experience at hospitals are integrated within the program? Thanks! :)

Hey, guys Although you all have been accepted into the MBS program, would you mind sharing your GRE or MCAT score that they considered for an admission?

Hello, Congrats on the acceptance!! I just finished my application yesterday. I was wondering what your stats are? I'm in the same boat as you in terms of having no luck getting into schools this round... I hope you don't mind me asking about you stats. Again, congrats on getting in!

Thank you! Sure, will share my stats, I don't mind. Out of state, 3.7 cGPA, 503 MCAT, lots of extra-curriculars/volunteer experiences, currently work in a patient-contact setting and have for 2 years since graduation so I guess that also makes me non-trad at this point. Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Congratulations!
Are you planning on committing to TCMC?

I got accepted to TCMC MBS program and had a question about the guaranteed interview. If you did not have a 3.25 science GPA mine is about a 3.11 but have all other requirements, does that mean that you can't get the guaranteed interview anyways?

Congrats!!

According to the website:
"Graduates and current MBS students who do not meet the above-mentioned criteria may still be invited for an MD interview if their application credentials merit one."

Congrats!!

According to the website:
"Graduates and current MBS students who do not meet the above-mentioned criteria may still be invited for an MD interview if their application credentials merit one."
Thanks! I'm so nervous about post bacc programs I applied to this temple and drexell and I am confused about which program would be the best for me if admitted to the rest.

I am in the same boat. It is definitely an anxiety provoking decision :/

I am in the same boat. It is definitely an anxiety provoking decision :/

I understand, its hard to decide whats right when deep down all you really want is to get into medical school.... Just one thing to think about is with most post-bac programs, you dont walk out with any sort of degree, at least not in one year... so what I really like about this "post-bac" option at TCMC is you finish it in a year and get a Masters, not a bad deal... however it might not be right for everyone.

I completed my application about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear back. However, I have been accepted to UTD post-back program. Please any advice if I should go ahead with UTD or wait for TCMC. Also, UTD does not offer a MBS program unless you're willing to enroll in the 2 year program which will earn you fin aid but the Cert program does not qualify for a fin aid. I am a bit confused here. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

hello all, I am current MBS student at TCMC, I am about to graduate in May, fell free to ask me any questions and I be vert honest with you.

hello all, I am current MBS student at TCMC, I am about to graduate in May, fell free to ask me any questions and I be vert honest with you.

Hi! Thanks for posting!

I was hoping you could shed some light on your experience? Are you happy you did the program? Did it help your chances of getting into professional school ( if that is what your plans are)?

Also, what advice would you give to incoming students?

Thanks for your time!

How does the process of taking your MCAT and finishing up the courses work if you want to get into medical school right after??

Ok so for the first question let me first explain, I rushed my mcat and took it at the beginning of the program and I applied, I got a few interviews but I was waitlisted and rejected. The program provides a MCAT course by Princeton Review that is given to the MBS students at the end of the masters program, so if you are planning to apply while at program you should take the MCAT before because the course load is so intensive that you will not be able to handle both let alone hand the courses given.

As for my experience, I will tell you that my class is made up of many different students with different backgrounds, I came in right after Undergrad I had graduated and I did not want to waste a year doing nothing so I decided to do this program.
My experience has been both positive and negative, positive is definitely how prepared I feel for medical school, but this is not just a normal post bacc type program or even a special master program, it is a legit masters squeezed into 1 year, you take 18 hrs of graduate work each semester. The course load is extremely intense, you take courses that medical students that at a faster pace. So, basically I had rethink the way I study.

As for advice for incoming student, I say be prepared from the get go, make a schedule for yourself you have class every day from 1:30 to 5:30 so know whether you are a morning person or a night owl, you had to keep up with the material because exams come quickly, and they are usually planned on consecutive days. So plan ahead, especially if you like me involved student government, volunteering and such.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me more

Looking at apartments walking distance to the school with great amenities. Any recommendations?
Jillian will send out a list of places to stay if she hasn't already. A lot of students just find apartments to rent. There is an apartment building on Adams avenue and on Linden. I live at the Mill. It's not walking distance but it's great.

current student graduating in May. happy to answer any questions.

Hi! Thanks for posting. I was hoping you could also talk about your experience. Do you have any advice you would give to incoming students? Has the program helped you get into med school ( or whatever your plans are)?

Thanks so much!

Hi! Thanks for posting. I was hoping you could also talk about your experience. Do you have any advice you would give to incoming students? Has the program helped you get into med school ( or whatever your plans are)?

Thanks so much!

I think it has definitely prepared me for graduate school because of the heavy course-load we take each semester. However, if I don't think I would do THIS specific program again. I felt that often times, it was incredibly unorganized and the excuse is always that the school is still new and they are still working out the kinks. However, they opened a new MBS branch in Doylestown so I have a feeling the un-organization is going to get worse. For example, the professor who teaches Neuro randomly left so they replaced him with a professor who teaches cardio. The average on our last exam neuro was a 66... we did get points back but the fact still remains that the material was not taught properly. Our final for that class will be based on information given during student presentations... you're paying 60K for current students to teach you neurological diseases rather than the professor.

As far as this program helping specifically for acceptance into TCMC, 6 students from our class were granted interviews and 2 were accepted. We have +/- grading system and there are no curves and no rounding. We started the program with 75 students and by the end of the first semester, 7 dropped out. Currently, there are a few students who will not graduate. Exams are taken on your computer and 100% of the exams have mistakes on them which is incredibly frustrating for students when taking the exam. Exams are also timed between 50-80 minutes, depending on which course the exam is for. Finals exam schedule is an exam on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. You don't get a reading period in between classes ending and finals. When they tell you that there is research available, it isn't really true. Research is mostly for the MDs and there is no way you will have time to do research while in this program. I've only heard of MBS students doing research here during their gap year after the program but that is a very small number. Research is not really prevalent at this school because they don't have funding.

Lots of group work for 1 credit classes that take away your time from studying. Classes are not mandatory for us but a lot of students didn't go to class this year so we have a feeling they will make it mandatory for the following classes. Classes are video recorded.

I know a lot of students feel that the program didn't help them and that they are in the same situation as before being in the program. I personally think it did help but in terms of managing and staying on top of the studying. However, I wouldn't do this specific program again and I personally wouldn't recommend it. The course load is tough but manageable. The logistics of the program need some major attention and need to be changed to make a more efficient program. Take the information given you during your tour with a grain of salt. Try to find friends who either go to TCMC or know someone who goes to TCMC and ask for those opinions. Most of the MDs will tell you that the MBS curriculum is more stressful than the MD curriculum.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got accepted to this program. I am thinking of going. I already took the MCAT and did well so I won't be doing the Princeton Review course. I would like to here from someone in a similar boat in regards to how having that beast out of the way affected their experience. My aim is to go to TCMC even after MBS so if anyone is down with sharing an apartment. I am down just PM me.

I think it has definitely prepared me for graduate school because of the heavy course-load we take each semester. However, if I don't think I would do THIS specific program again. I felt that often times, it was incredibly unorganized and the excuse is always that the school is still new and they are still working out the kinks. However, they opened a new MBS branch in Doylestown so I have a feeling the un-organization is going to get worse. For example, the professor who teaches Neuro randomly left so they replaced him with a professor who teaches cardio. The average on our last exam neuro was a 66... we did get points back but the fact still remains that the material was not taught properly. Our final for that class will be based on information given during student presentations... you're paying 60K for current students to teach you neurological diseases rather than the professor.

As far as this program helping specifically for acceptance into TCMC, 6 students from our class were granted interviews and 2 were accepted. We have +/- grading system and there are no curves and no rounding. We started the program with 75 students and by the end of the first semester, 7 dropped out. Currently, there are a few students who will not graduate. Exams are taken on your computer and 100% of the exams have mistakes on them which is incredibly frustrating for students when taking the exam. Exams are also timed between 50-80 minutes, depending on which course the exam is for. Finals exam schedule is an exam on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. You don't get a reading period in between classes ending and finals. When they tell you that there is research available, it isn't really true. Research is mostly for the MDs and there is no way you will have time to do research while in this program. I've only heard of MBS students doing research here during their gap year after the program but that is a very small number. Research is not really prevalent at this school because they don't have funding.

Lots of group work for 1 credit classes that take away your time from studying. Classes are not mandatory for us but a lot of students didn't go to class this year so we have a feeling they will make it mandatory for the following classes. Classes are video recorded.

I know a lot of students feel that the program didn't help them and that they are in the same situation as before being in the program. I personally think it did help but in terms of managing and staying on top of the studying. However, I wouldn't do this specific program again and I personally wouldn't recommend it. The course load is tough but manageable. The logistics of the program need some major attention and need to be changed to make a more efficient program. Take the information given you during your tour with a grain of salt. Try to find friends who either go to TCMC or know someone who goes to TCMC and ask for those opinions. Most of the MDs will tell you that the MBS curriculum is more stressful than the MD curriculum.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it. I hope the program has helped your chances to achieve your goals.

Every single word from this post is correct, I couldn't agree more. Although it has prepared me (like any other masters program would), I would not do it again, not here. Definitely not here.

[/QUOTE]
current student graduating in May. happy to answer any questions.

How many of the current students applied before doing the MBS, and how many are applying now and taking another gap year? I am wondering, if I decide to do the program, whether to apply to the TCMC MD and other schools now, or next year at this time. Thank you!

Is it too late to apply? Also I'm a little confused about this. As far as the GPA requirement on the website, are you guaranteed the interview IF you get a 3.25 gpa in their program? Someone earlier in this thread said by that, they mean your program GPA, not undergrad GPA, contrary to what's listed in the website. Thanks!

I do not usually post on SDN, but after reviewing a few of these posts I wanted to say something.

I would only take the word of the PCOM student above and myself about this program. This past years MBS class was anything but stellar and I feel it has more to do with the average student than it did with the professors. I am a 2015 graduate and the only changes they made was a professor change, who before was the actual neuro teacher and the addition of the plus minus system which was requested by the students over multiple years.

The course work is challenging but the staff cares more about your success than even your mother would. There is no curve but nor is there in medical school and that means you can get an A without worrying about how well someone else is doing. From my class alone I believe we have passed the 50% point on medical school acceptances alone. TCMC is what you make of it, and it was so good I turned down MD offers to attend here in the Fall.

To any upcoming student do not base your opinion of an institution based off individuals from a single year. Good luck to all who are coming and I'll see you in August.