The Inaugural ATSU COM-Mesa Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard what the final word on dress code is? I might e-mail Joyce tomorrow and ask. I want to know if I need to start boosting my professional wardrobe.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard what the final word on dress code is? I might e-mail Joyce tomorrow and ask. I want to know if I need to start boosting my professional wardrobe.

I phoned Joyce earlier today. Her VM says that she'll be out of the office all week.

As far as I have heard it is proffesional attire. That is still kind of vague, but I think its going to be something like dress shoes, slacks and maybe a collared shirt, but I think jeans and sandals are out(bummer)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got another email that my computer shipped today so I guess it doesnt take the 6 weeks like they said it would.

I got the email today, and I ordered it last week. I was hoping to get it right before school start so I don't do anything to break it before then.

Can you buy the external drive separate? When I looked at the website it seemed that the drive only worked thru the dock, but I probably misunderstood. Also, can you get cheaper external drives at Best Buy?

yeah, the external dvdrw is a bit pricey, but it comes with its own carrying case, how awesome is that, plus you can turn the dvd/cd over and it can laser inscribe a label on it...not as cool as the case but not bad (plus the whole thing is like 11 ounces and super slim). i've shopped around looking for externals and i havent found any as good. there was a really good deal on a sony one for like 100 at frys/best buy, but its pretty big. there are also some generic brand ones, but i dont really trust them. external drives are not to par with external harddrives yet.

external drives are not to par as external harddrives yet.

I respectfully disagree.

BTW...in medicine, scrubs are considered "professional attire". However, I think that is a total joke. Get somebody official to tell you about scrubs vs. ties.

see edit

I respectfully disagree.

how so? i haven't seen as many external dvdrw's as plentiful and diverse as external hd's, but maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.

p.s. scrubs is an awesome show.

...scrubs is an awesome show.

Scrubs is the only doctor show I can watch (other than Doctor Who) without feeling work-related stress. Same with The Office--I couldn't have enjoyed it if I were still in the corporate world.

I ordered my laptop last Thursday and got the external dvd/rw drive. It all arrived yesterday afternoon so it doesn't take nearly as long as they said. As far as docking for peripherals, I had a USB 2.0 4 port adapter so you can have most of your usb stuff plugged into that. I've never had all 4 ports hooked up but it worked well on my old laptop. You can find them for pretty cheap nearly anywhere for about $20. Not as cool as the docking station and it doens't help out with hooking up an extra monitor but definitely alot cheaper.

Sorry to interrupt the computer and dress code talks, but how is everyone doing with housing? I am looking for roommates and housing, so if anyone interested, please PM me. I prefer to live as close to campus as possible.

Ok, back to where you left off...

Sorry to interrupt the computer and dress code talks, but how is everyone doing with housing? I am looking for roommates and housing, so if anyone interested, please PM me. I prefer to live as close to campus as possible.

Ok, back to where you left off...

I'm about to sign a lease with Sandbridge. Their management is infuriatingly disorganized--I've spoken with six different people and heard six different policies on ATSU discounts. If I had more money or a car, I'd go with someplace nicer.

My current roommate and I (both male, 21-23. he is an book binding and printmaking major at ASU) are looking for one roommate for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. Rent will likely be $300 - $450, plus 1/3 of utilities (electric, water, internet [cable is up to you. we don't own a tv]). Pets would be welcome, as we have two very small adorable curly haired poodle pups. The house will be within 4-5 miles of school.

It would be nice to have a roommate in the same school, to allow for carpooling and courtesy when studying.

message me to talk further.

Is anyone else thinking of living in Tempe? Anyone know if that would create any difficulties commuting that far? I was thinking of renting a room in a nice home from a friend of mine who happens to live there.

Also, anyone else wishing they could fast forward time to July and actually be there already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else thinking of living in Tempe? Anyone know if that would create any difficulties commuting that far? I was thinking of renting a room in a nice home from a friend of mine who happens to live there.

Also, anyone else wishing they could fast forward time to July and actually be there already?

Oh, dont you worry, July is QUICKLY coming around the corner, and I am sure once we are in and neck deep in studying, there will be a moment where we will be missing May 3, 2007 and thinking what happened to those 'free' days!!!

"The DO" magazine wrote an article about the new schools. In the SOMA part they wrote about our grouping and said "Dr. Woods expects the groups to change somewhat in composition during the first year as students get to know one another. But by the second year the groups will be set." I was under the impression that the groups were pretty firmly set, but it sounds like we can expect some fluidity.

whoo! I am posting with the tablet and it is awesome!

I'm glad you like it. Here are a couple of Erik's tips to new tablet users...

1. Rest your hand on the screen! You can always tell newb tablet users, because they use the pen like a pointer, and not like a pen. Your handwriting will be much better if you pretend the computer is paper.

2. When using the tablet input panel, use cursive. It was meant for cursive handwriting, and the recognition is 10 times better if you write cursive.

3. Use Microsoft OneNote. The program rocks! Go through the Tools|Options and figure everything out. You will be glad you did. Just as a sampling, hit the windows key and then (while holding the window's key down) hit S. Select an area of your screen, then, go to OneNote and right click, paste.

pretty cool stuff. THis summer I will work on some videos that will help you with OneNote. In the meantime, watch these videos.

So, a bit off-topic but how soon after sending in your checks and all did you hear some sort of confirmation from the school/official welcome? Just asking because I sent mine in on April 23rd and wanted to make sure it arrived. I feel silly calling them all of the time. :D

So, a bit off-topic but how soon after sending in your checks and all did you hear some sort of confirmation from the school/official welcome? Just asking because I sent mine in on April 23rd and wanted to make sure it arrived. I feel silly calling them all of the time. :D

I sent my payment on 4/24, and I sent an email to Joyce a week later asking here whether it was received. She replied today that it was.

Anyone else having trouble with the forums link on the portal? When I click on forums, all I get is 'Handhelds in Medicine' and 'Politics in Health Care'. Today was the first day I was actually able to log in to the portal so I was all excited. When I did so this morning, I was able to browse all the topics by the AZ students, including the thread for our new class. Now I get almost nothing. Emailed the help desk but they probably won't get it until Monday. Anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, something's wrong with the portal. I couldn't see the old forums, but just the two...

Yesterday, we KCOMers were able to see your forums. The help desk corrected it, but, it sounds like they may have corrected it a little too much. That means no forums until monday...sorry guys.

Can any of you tell me about how long it was between mailing your check and getting more information from the school (email address/tablet specs etc)?

I'm trying to be patient but the excitement is testing it!

Oh, and has anyone visited the Woodburn CHC?

Thanks!

Hello!
I will be coming from Oklahoma and am assigned to the Phoenix-Native American CHC.
Has anyone seen a schedule for Orientation week beginning July 30 and know what days family members are invited to attend?

Hello!
I will be coming from Oklahoma and am assigned to the Phoenix-Native American CHC.
Has anyone seen a schedule for Orientation week beginning July 30 and know what days family members are invited to attend?

THey haven't given us any info on orientation week except that the White Coat Ceramony is on August 2nd. So family should plan on coming around then.

Can any of you tell me about how long it was between mailing your check and getting more information from the school (email address/tablet specs etc)?

I'm trying to be patient but the excitement is testing it!

Oh, and has anyone visited the Woodburn CHC?

Thanks!

It took at least 3 weeks before they got that info to me. Of you want to PM me w/ your e-mail address I can forward you the info they sent about the tablet.

Hello!

So I guess this means the Phoenix Native American CHC is going to happen!! Thats great! So officially then there should be 110 inaugural students, going to 11 CHCs.:thumbup:

No. I was told, although there are now 11 CHC's. There is only going to be an incoming class of 100. Thus, it won't be groups of ten everywhere, if at all.

I got some questions about tablets, and here are my responses...

1. Do I need screen protection with a tablet?

my response

2. What about theft:

my response

3. What notetaking program should I use?

my response

4. "I've heard the school gives a huge discount on Microsoft Office...where do I get it?"

my response

I hope this helps...

If you have any other questions, go to my website and click "contact me".

erik

Has anyone else who got their tablet had a problem with scrolling in firefox? I have tried reconfiguring firefox but for some reason it doesn't scroll using the middle "mouse" key in combo with trackpoint. I am able to scroll fine in internet explorer and everything else.

I wasn't aware that the Native American CHC wouldn't happen. Is there something I should know?

Has anyone else who got their tablet had a problem with scrolling in firefox? I have tried reconfiguring firefox but for some reason it doesn't scroll using the middle "mouse" key in combo with trackpoint. I am able to scroll fine in internet explorer and everything else.

I have the exact same problem with my Gateway. I haven't yet found a solution for the scrolling, but, it doesn't really matter to me, since I use my pen with a firefox addon called "grab and drag". It allows you to turn your browser into a "pdf" type browser so that you can "grab" the website and "drag" it up and down. This works great with your touchpad, and works even better with your pen. If you do it right, you can grab the page and "flick" it...upon doing this, it will scroll to the top or bottom of the page (depending on the direction of your flick) very quickly...very handy.

Give it a try by downloading it here. You will want to put the "grab and drag" button on your toolbar somewhere so that you can toggle it on and off.

It is far and away my favorite addon for firefox, and I would never browse without it.

erik

I interviewed on 4/19 and just got the call from Joyce this afternoon. I will be joining the Brooklyn CHC. I look forward to meeting everyone!

I wasn't aware that the Native American CHC wouldn't happen. Is there something I should know?

When I interviewed back in March, Dr. Cloud mentioned that the Native American CHC was still a question mark, meaning they were not sure it was going to happen. Now if they have assigned you to this CHC, then there are 3 likely scenarios: 1. It is going to happen! 2. They are expecting it to happen sometime between now and July 2008 or 3. They are assigning students to the NA CHC, hoping it will happen, but with full knowledge that if it does not happen, the Admissionsm contract(which you will, or have signed) does mention in point #8. ....Furthermore, I understand regional training sites are subject to change...which means then if it doesnt happen you will be assigned to a different CHC.

Either way, welcome aboard, whcihever CHC you are heading too its going to be a great program...:D

I interviewed on 4/19 and just got the call from Joyce this afternoon. I will be joining the Brooklyn CHC. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome to BROOKLYN!!!! Im sending you the link to the CHC, Lutheran Family Health Centers--its awesome!! Rarekare and I actually met in Brooklyn checking out the CHC, so welcome aboard. If you get a chnace you should visit it, in person.

http://www.lmcmc.com/index.htm

I placed the order for my lappy today, so I'll be checking the mailbox twelve times a day until it gets here.

What software is preloaded onto it? I dimly remember someone at my interview mentioning that it comes "fully loaded," but I didn't think to push the point.

Thanks! I think Joyce is sending me the contact info for the Brooklyn CHC. I'm going to be in NYC at the end of the month and want to schedule a visit. How did you schedule your visit?

Welcome to BROOKLYN!!!! Im sending you the link to the CHC, Lutheran Family Health Centers--its awesome!! Rarekare and I actually met in Brooklyn checking out the CHC, so welcome aboard. If you get a chnace you should visit it, in person.

http://www.lmcmc.com/index.htm

I'm looking for one roommate to rent a house with (3 bed, 3 bath). Haven't found the house yet, but my sister is a real estate agent. It'll be close to school, rent would be about $300-400 (400 is tops). Me and my current roommate have two small puppies (small poodles - Tobias Funke and Andrew Jackson). Also, me and my roommate are musicians, so someone who appreciates or plays music would be great. We're just terrified of not finding another roommate who isn't crazy.

Any takers?

yeah, the external dvdrw is a bit pricey, but it comes with its own carrying case, how awesome is that, plus you can turn the dvd/cd over and it can laser inscribe a label on it .

Ok Im abt to buy my laptop and want to find out which external dvdrw you are talking about, is it the Targus slimline?

Hey TXkfo, welcome! Were you by chance the brunette from Dallas I had in my group session? I asked you about following the Stars during the playoffs afterwards.

Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt, TXkfo
Beaufort, South Carolina: hopefuldoc40, docmcdocerson, ducqui
Troy, Alabama: CO2003
Milford, Ohio: Xoynx, jenny10
Flagstaff, Arizona: jfeyko, jacksonium78, gildas
Phoenix, Arizona: redcuilapa, SoonerChick
Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell, aberkovi
Visalia, California: stringerbell, ifpx181, capucino123, nittanylion79
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob, oskibear
Seattle, Washington: builttorock, greenshirt, romadanny, emtech26, HutchD
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

Quick question for those of you that have received your tablets...did it come with Microsoft OneNote 2003 or does it have OneNote 2007?

I'm guessing '03. I think it's a discontinued model that comes with XP. Not sure, though, as I don't have mine yet.

It will be a tragedy if it is 2003 and not 2007. Well, not really...everybody will just need to shell out 20 bucks to get OneNote 2007. 2003 is an "alpha version" of the product and SHOULD NOT be used. Ok, so it isn't really an alpha, but that is what we refer to it as on the microsoft support forums and it still shouldn't be used.

Just wanted to say hiya kids; now I'm back, my internet is hooked up, and I'm an official Zonie!!! I can't believe I waited all day to check up on y'all, but my excuse is that moving has evaporated my brain. May you all have an easier time getting here...Whew.

Congrats to my new Woodburn colleague Oskibear, too! Way to go! :D

Hello all,

I interviewed at ATSU-Mesa and although I will not be attending school there, I loved the laptop they showed during the interview.

Does anyone have any specifics about it, or model information?

I just signed up for my CPR class in Mesa today, and I just thought I would post the link to the program I am getting certified through. Thought maybe I could meet some of you folks there if you needed to get certified as well. I'm doing it on the June 7th date (since we need to send in a copy of our certification by June 15th). It's sponsored by the Mesa Fire Dept. and I signed up via the web site cprinstruction.com It's only $25 which seems like a good deal compared to the Red Cross and some other places I have looked at.

Let me know if any of you are going to join me! I look forward to meeting some of you, possibly.

I just signed up for my CPR class in Mesa today, and I just thought I would post the link to the program I am getting certified through. Thought maybe I could meet some of you folks there if you needed to get certified as well. I'm doing it on the June 7th date (since we need to send in a copy of our certification by June 15th). It's sponsored by the Mesa Fire Dept. and I signed up via the web site cprinstruction.com It's only $25 which seems like a good deal compared to the Red Cross and some other places I have looked at.

Let me know if any of you are going to join me! I look forward to meeting some of you, possibly.

That sure is a good deal: half of what I'm paying for tonite's CPR class at a nearby hospital. Not for the first time, I wish I were already in Mesa.