The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it should be replaced by eli lilly with the glp-1 boon

That would make sense since that's the next highest market cap. I think AVGO could reach 1 trillion eventually.

Or just make it the magnificent 6.

Members don't see this ad.

NVDA will pass GOOG and AMZN in market cap soon. Insanity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still have PLTR? I thought that was a 2020 fad stock. I'm impressed.

Reactions: 1 user
This bull run is getting a little crazy. I went from $1 mil to $1.1 mil net worth in a freaking flash. Making me nervous. S&P now has support at 5,000. Crazy.

Reactions: 2 users
This bull run is getting a little crazy. I went from $1 mil to $1.1 mil net worth in a freaking flash. Making me nervous. S&P now has support at 5,000. Crazy.

The scary thing is it's very top heavy. I read there are more losers than winners in the S&P now, which hasn't happened since 1987.

How do you guys calculate net worth? Do you use an app that tracks all of your accounts or use an old school spreadsheet?

How do you guys calculate net worth? Do you use an app that tracks all of your accounts or use an old school spreadsheet?
I used to use Mint but now that it isn’t an option I haven’t found a suitable replacement. :(

I really miss Mint.

Currently using rocket money (net worth…it’s like 5-6$/month. Free version doesn’t have net worth and a few other features if I’m remembering correctly)…total PIA to set up, but totally worth it to stay organized (worth it in my opinion)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just bought 100k (~480 shares) of Boeing (BA) today since it has gone down 20% in the past 6 wks due to all the bad press (news) that the company has been getting.

Hoping it goes up 7-10% in 6-8 wks so I can make a profit.

Last edited:
How do these apps calculate your house value? Zillow and Redfin have a 24% difference in my house estimate.

I'm using Mint until it sunsets in March. You can import everything over to Credit Karma, though. Apparently it does NW, too.
I made the mistake of importing over to Credit Karma and it won’t let me go back. Credit Karma does have most of the same features except it can only track one property and the layout is much more focused on credit (obviously) which I do not need.

The layout and user experience is much more focused on ads and credit score. Perhaps in the future they will improve it and make it more like Mint but currently it is not nearly as good as Mint for budgeting or net worth tracking.

I made the mistake of importing over to Credit Karma and it won’t let me go back. Credit Karma does have most of the same features except it can only track one property and the layout is much more focused on credit (obviously) which I do not need.

The layout and user experience is much more focused on ads and credit score. Perhaps in the future they will improve it and make it more like Mint but currently it is not nearly as good as Mint for budgeting or net worth tracking.

You'd think there would be an app that would easily track net worth. Doesn't seem that hard to program compared to what other apps can do.

Just bought 100k (~480 shares) of Boeing (BA) today since it has gone down 20% in the past 6 wks due to all the bad press (news) that the company has been getting.

Hoping it goes up 7-10% in 6-8 wks so I can make a profit.

I'm sure the stock will be fine in the long run but I'm not flying in those planes anymore. Sticking to Airbus.

BTC is 51.7k before the halving, wild. It will definitely hit ATH later this year.

Does anyone do Airbnb or is long term rental the way to go?

Isn't Palm Springs filled with old retired geezers? I'm not surprised they are NIMBYs.
It's not just Palm Springs. It's everywhere that people want to visit. It's pretty clear short term rental drive up the price of real estate. Eventually, the have nots get angry and vote. If this isn't a problem in your area, it's because it's not a place people want to visit... ergo, there's not a lot of value in a short term rental.

Look what's happening on Maui (which already limits short term rentals--units that have been grandfathered carry a huge premium over those that can't be used as short term rentals).

How do these apps calculate your house value? Zillow and Redfin have a 24% difference in my house estimate.

You can always have a local real estate agent run a comp analysis for you. They’ll probably do it for free if they think there’s any chance whatsoever that you may consider selling. It’ll be much more accurate than Zillow’s Zestimate.

You can always have a local real estate agent run a comp analysis for you. They’ll probably do it for free if they think there’s any chance whatsoever that you may consider selling. It’ll be much more accurate than Zillow’s Zestimate.
Not a terrible idea, especially if you have a real estate agent you know or worked with in the past, but personally I wouldn’t be interested in dealing with a real estate agent and doubtless follow up sales calls for something so simple of such little value.

Not a terrible idea, especially if you have a real estate agent you know or worked with in the past, but personally I wouldn’t be interested in dealing with a real estate agent and doubtless follow up sales calls for something so simple of such little value.

Yeah even those "I want to buy your house with cash" spam mailers annoy me. I've been getting them weekly now. Why would anyone with a <3% mortgage sell now?

Reactions: 1 users
The EV fad is over.

I've held NVDA since April 2017 ($24.19 post-split share value). Loaded up on shares here and there up until May 2020, which brought me to an average of $63.43 per share.

Last edited:
  • Love
Goal: Payoff my 6 figure student loans before I finish residency with my strategy (in baseball analogy) of hitting bunts, singles, doubles and an occasional triple.

Update: As of today, I have paid of nearly $51k of my loans since Jan 1, 2024 with cap gains.

NVDA might pass AAPL in market cap at the end of this year. Amazing!

Last edited:
AMD has plenty of room for growth.

Nice seeing crypto back up - hodl btc and eth forever

What are people's 401k returns thus far (year-to-date)?

I changed all my 401k investments to mega cap 5 wks ago and return is ~9% thus far. I guess NVDA is driving up these returns.

I changed all my 401k investments to mega cap 5 wks ago and return is ~9% thus far. I guess NVDA is driving up these returns.
4.5% personally

Vanguard says n/a and I'm too much of a lazy ass to calculate it. 1 Yr it says 27%

7.45% YTD, total stock market index.

Last edited:
AMD has plenty of room for growth.

Nice seeing crypto back up - hodl btc and eth forever

Which chip stock is currently the best buy? NVDA, AVGO, AMD, other? I'm thinking AMD as well.