The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, won’t see it again in our lifetime.

The bubble has gotten too big to be popped. The only option left is to keep on pumping, even at the expense of high inflation.
Are you planning to buy any investment property this year?

Thank God I refinanced my mortgage under 3%.
Lucky you.

I have a 4.5% ARM after 10 yrs.

Will pay if off if I can't refinance within these 10 yrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning to buy any investment property this year?

No, with record prices it is hard to find a good investment property in southern Cali. I have also become more risk adverse as I get older (and more lazy too).

Yeah, ok I know this is the investment thread, but I think this country needs to establish some limits, laws on owning multiple homes that are mostly just used for renting out. Seems like an issue that has slowly been getting out of hand overtime driving up costs & I believe has contributed to hindering younger generations from owning a home (out pricing) as a means of serving as an actual home

I believe this now in my relatively younger years under age 40 but I’m sure my opinion might change in 20-30 years (also part of the problem). Being a landlord in retirement, owning multiple properties would seem like a stupid easy way to stay active in retirement (I honestly just love home improvement type stuff) whilst making some money

Last edited:
Don’t fly Boeing. All the smart people went into finance, crypto and computer science. Why should business majors run an engineering company?
IMG_3116.jpg

• Wow
Yeah, ok I know this is the investment thread, but I think this country needs to establish some limits, laws on owning multiple homes that are mostly just used for renting out. Seems like an issue that has slowly been getting out of hand overtime driving up costs & I believe has contributed to hindering younger generations from owning a home (out pricing) as a means of serving as an actual home

I believe this now in my relatively younger years under age 40 but I’m sure my opinion might change in 20-30 years (also part of the problem). Being a landlord in retirement, owning multiple properties would seem like a stupid easy way to stay active in retirement (I honestly just love home improvement type stuff) whilst making some money

The problem is the government has handled off the housing market to the private sector and of course the private sector wants to max profits.

Nobody wants the government to build housing projects in their neighborhood.

For most Americans, their home is their most valuable asset. It is beneficial for them to keep prices high so they will fight to keep high density housing away from their neighborhood.

The only way is to build housing in less desirable communities where land is cheap and plentiful. However, there is no jobs in these communities. The government needs to build high speed rail so their commute is reasonable but government can’t build anything

Yeah some of it is ridiculous. I browse reddit and some boomers have over 100 rentals, which they got for dirt cheap.

But if you put a limit on rentals then where does it stop? Should there be a limit on stocks? Some boomers bought MSFT, AAPL 40 years ago.

Yeah some of it is ridiculous. I browse reddit and some boomers have over 100 rentals, which they got for dirt cheap.

But if you put a limit on rentals then where does it stop? Should there be a limit on stocks? Some boomers bought MSFT, AAPL 40 years ago.

Agree. I am not sure we should go there.

I think the government should help lower middle class family with down payment, buy down their rate (2.5-3.5%). Also, we should build smaller cookie cutter homes (3BA/2BA 1100-1200 sqft homes)

Are these rentals apartment units? Big difference between 100 single family homes vs 100 apartment units.

My favorite rags to riches story is Jerry Buss who came from a modest family. He earned a PhD in chemistry and used the extra income from teaching to buy real estate. He built a real estate empire in West LA and used it to buy the Lakers. The rest is history.

Agree. I am not sure we should go there.

I think the government should help lower middle class family with down payment, buy down their rate (2.5-3.5%). Also, we should build smaller cookie cutter homes (3BA/2BA 1100-1200 sqft homes)

If you make it easier to buy a house like down payment assistance then prices would naturally go up.

Doesn't section 8 cover above market rate for rentals? I feel like the government is artificially propping up rent prices too.

If you make it easier to buy a house like down payment assistance then prices would naturally go up.
I guess there is no easy answer.

100k/yr household income put a family in the ~60th percentile, and this family can't even afford a home a MCOL area. It's crazy!

I remember life was great between 2009-2013 when my household income was 110-120k/yr. No worries about money at all despite having a $569/month car payment on top of our mortgage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't section 8 cover above market rate for rentals? I feel like the government is artificially propping up rent prices too.

I never accept section 8. You have no leverage over them. Their credit score is already bad. You won’t be able to garnish their wage.

My friend accepted section 8 and after not receiving rent for several months he initiated eviction. They ended up leaving but only after they spray painted the wall about how he is a greedy landlord and then posting it on social media.

I never accept section 8. You have no leverage over them. Their credit score is already bad. You won’t be able to garnish their wage.

My friend accepted section 8 and after not receiving rent for several months he initiated eviction. They ended up leaving but only after they spray painted the wall about how he is a greedy landlord and then posting it on social media.

That's nuts. How do section 8 people find places to rent then?

Update:

Had a 35% increase in my capital gains on premiums for year ending 2023 from year ending 2022 with strategy selling puts and writing covered calls.

Conservatively I expect to double my 2023 capital gains premiums by the end of 2024.

Reactions: 1 users
Update:

Had a 35% increase in my capital gains on premiums for year ending 2023 from year ending 2022 with strategy selling puts and writing covered calls.

Conservatively I expect to double my 2023 capital gains premiums by the end of 2024.

Post your trades here as you make them. I want to follow.

IMG_3119.jpg

Gentrification is a good thing. Doughboy’s house in South Central LA from Boyz N Da Hood is now worth almost $600 k

Anyone like PYPL? They're supposed to shock the world on Jan 25.

Anyone like PYPL? They're supposed to shock the world on Jan 25.
Will likely dump my PLTR position once at $18.00/share and buy some PYPL and NVIDIA. It seems like the latter will get to $1000/share at the end of this year

Will likely dump my PLTR position once at $18.00/share and buy some PYPL and NVIDIA. It seems like the latter will get to $1000/share at the end of this year

If NVDA reaches $1,000/share then that'll make it 2.5 trillion market cap, higher than AMZN and GOOG. That's nearly twice the value of TSLA's all time high! That's so crazy how this was almost $100/share 15 months ago. It's already the stock of the century, only $2/share back in the year 2000.

Last edited:
If NVDA reaches $1,000/share then that'll make it 2.5 trillion market cap, higher than AMZN and GOOG. That's nearly twice the value of TSLA's all time high! That's so crazy how this was almost $100/share 15 months ago. It's already the stock of the century, only $2/share back in the year 2000.
There is a chance that it will have a higher market cap than AMZN and GOOG.

@mentos

Got out of my PLTR position this morning and made ~14k in just a little bit over 2 wks. Bought it January 5th.

• Wow
Just this once I’m posting a trade as requested.

Sold AMD puts at 165 to expire Friday January 26, 2024.

I asked if you bought PayPal stock today.
Sorry. PLTR and PYPL symbols look alike

I am buying TSLA. Projection for TSLA is $240-245 in 8 wks per one of my physician colleagues who follows 10 tech stocks. He has been making a lot of money doing it.

Sorry. PLTR and PYPL symbols look alike

I am buying TSLA. Projection for TSLA is $240-245 in 8 wks per one of my physician colleagues who follows 10 tech stocks. He has been making a lot of money doing it.

How does he know what price it will be in 8 weeks? That's pretty specific.

How does he know what price it will be in 8 weeks? That's pretty specific.
I don't think he knows for sure (otherwise he would have been a billionaire by now), but he has been doing a few yrs now and has made a lot money.

For instance ~3 months ago, AMD was ~$101/share and he told me it will be $110 in 1 month. In 1 wk, AMD was already $110. I bought for 40k at that time and made over 3k in 1 wk. I wish I had kept AMD.

He made ~40k in PLTR cause we bought around the same time except he bought for 300k.

Besides maxing out tax-advantaged accounts, not been investing much lately. You all?

Been waiting for a pullback that may never come, but I figure it being an election year it would.

Besides maxing out tax-advantaged accounts, not been investing much lately. You all?

Been waiting for a pullback that may never come, but I figure it being an election year it would.

Not too many of my pharmacist friends are investing outside their 401 k. This year max is 23,000$. I remember when it was just 17,000$. Pharmacist salary has also stagnated over the years which makes it harder to invest.

I say max out your 401 k, HSA. I would also max out ESPP just as long as you can sell the shares right away…take your 10-15% discount and be happy about it.

TSLA had another rough earnings report. This week it fell from 8th in market cap to 12th. AVGO just surpassed it. Is TSLA still part of the magnificent 7? Looks like it should be replaced by AVGO.

Same, I keep waiting for a pullback that never comes. Just been saving in HYSA.

Not too many of my pharmacist friends are investing outside their 401 k. This year max is 23,000$. I remember when it was just 17,000$. Pharmacist salary has also stagnated over the years which makes it harder to invest.

I say max out your 401 k, HSA. I would also max out ESPP just as long as you can sell the shares right away…take your 10-15% discount and be happy about it.

Most pharmacists I know seems to be living paycheck to paycheck, except the older ones who had little to no student loans.

• Sad
Anytime in the past 10-12 years.

Best year to graduate was 2007-2009. Tuition wasn’t too bad for you. You missed the housing bubble. Real estate, stocks were dirt cheap.

Gen X got caught in the tech bubble in 2000 and housing bubble in 2006. Baby Boomers had it better but many also got caught in these two bubbles.

Just this once I’m posting a trade as requested.

Sold AMD puts at 165 to expire Friday January 26, 2024.
I don’t hit home runs but singles, doubles, and every so often a triple. This was a double.

This strategy has worked me and I will continue to use it to pay off my student loans as quickly as I can with the cap gains while my fellow residents unfortunately use their salaries to do so.

Almost done with paying off over 200+k student loans…somewhat of a transition year finance “strats”-wise. Max 401k as usual, aggressively paying off remaining student loan debts, and started some brokerage accounts. Planning on finally getting back into some heavy, aggressive investing & saving (HYSA mainly, might dabble into I-bonds) come 2025

Boring, but patience & sticking to a plan pays off. Covid student loan pause “strats”….man those were something wild, paid off, took full advantage 😈.

Far from living paycheck to paycheck and can never see myself as one of those type of people

Crazy how much stocks rise or fall after earnings reports.

Is TSLA still magnificent? It's now less than half the market cap of the next one.