The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
200 k+ jobs in November.

Anybody betting 2014 will be a big year?

Hope it crashes really hard, 30%-40 off, I'd be like a kid in a candy store buying the lowest asset class, I am still too young to see high stock prices... My savings in the bank starts getting bigger, need to put it to work...

Members don't see this ad.

Hope it crashes really hard, 30%-40 off, I'd be like a kid in a candy store buying the lowest asset class, I am still too young to see high stock prices... My savings in the bank starts getting bigger, need to put it to work...

Of course we all don't want to see the economy tank but at the same time I am prepared for it. I have way too much in hard cold cash.

Last edited:
Of course we all don't want to see the economy tank but at the same time I am prepared for it. I have way too much in hard cold cash.

Oh, you cash out this year ? Hope tax doesn't bite you too hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not cashed out yet. Of course this is not a "problem" but a lot of my asset is in the stock market.

I don't know how you do it..keep on putting money in every month. You must have balls of steel.

I have not cashed out yet. Of course this is not a "problem" but a lot of my asset is in the stock market.

I don't know how you do it..keep on putting money in every month.

I have IPS that says I take 50% of my net income to investment, and live with the rest. Signed and printed the IPS as a big ass poster and hang it in my bedroom LOL. If I have any doubt, I just look at the wall and go from there.

how do you buy company stocks?

what were your 2013 best financial and worst financial moves?

2013 was a great year.

Best moves:
Fully investing in my ESPP. Company stock went up 50%.
Staying out of gold.

Worst moves:
Starting to buy individual stocks. Some are up and some are down, but overall I would've been better off sticking to index funds.
Being too conservative in bonds, which are down a couple of percent, but luckily I dumped almost all of mine in April.

I have TQQQ @ cost basis 24.33. I got my original investment back after it doubled and have let the other half ride so far.

I have the UDOW @ 60.00. When it doubles I'll do the same.

what a year 2013 will be remembered as. I just looked at my 401K, not counting what I put in last year, it's up 26%.

Unfortunately with that, I fear that the future stock growth has been largely spent for a good while. Average P/E ratio for S&P500 is 20, Shiller P/E is 26. Bonds are still overpriced and will suffer interest rate increases. Real estate largely had its run as well. Not much is looking attractive going forward.

I finished off 2013 with a 34.5855% return. I don't know if we will see this kind of performance continue for much longer. As long as demand is low and capacity is low, there is room for growth and that's why there is no inflation to speak off. The Fed can pump all it wants as long as it gets out of the way when people start pumping we will be fine. In that light, stocks are the only growth area right now. Of course I could be 100% wrong. I'll stick with my general philosophy and use my 15% rule. If it falls 15%, I'm out, until then I just take some Zofran if I get the willies while it goes up and down.

If Bernanke gets the economy rolling with minimal inflation using only monetary stimulus due to getting no help from Washington...dude would deserve a parade, I guess...something, hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
If history is any indication we all know how it ends when interest rates are kept this low for this long. Despite QE of 85 billion per month for years job growth has been anemic and GDP is only 2%. Real estate was propped by large institutional investors. Most of your gains are Bernanke funny money and will disappear in the next few years. Happy New Year

Reactions: 1 user
If history is any indication we all know how it ends when interest rates are kept this low for this long. Despite QE of 85 billion per month for years job growth has been anemic and GDP is only 2%. Real estate was propped by large institutional investors. Most of your gains are Bernanke funny money and will disappear in the next few years. Happy New Year

I agree but I think Pharmacy will grow because of more coverage...and don't forget Medbox ;-).

S&P will be flat 0% or up 15% in 2014, I call it :D Historically 75% of the time after 20%+ up last year, the next year is almost always positive year also. We do have momentum to carry us higher on this bull market. But then again, if QE taper affects the economy too greatly, we will go down too. Hope for the best, but prepare of the worst.

Last edited:
So I have about $700 in some stocks from my previous employer. It is up quite a bit from when I purchased it about 3 years ago. Should I cash it up and open up an etrade account and try my luck at that? How could I make some money? On those stock I'm up about $300 from when I purchased it. Or should I just put it in my Roth? I only contribute $50 bucks anoth to my Roth since I am a broke student. But I have has it since I was 18 so I've had it for 4 years.

Also how do I know I have the best Roth account? Or is there such a thing?

So I have about $700 in some stocks from my previous employer. It is up quite a bit from when I purchased it about 3 years ago. Should I cash it up and open up an etrade account and try my luck at that? How could I make some money? On those stock I'm up about $300 from when I purchased it. Or should I just put it in my Roth? I only contribute $50 bucks anoth to my Roth since I am a broke student. But I have has it since I was 18 so I've had it for 4 years.

Put in Roth, and you can still trade it if you want and without the taxes.

If you have any 401k or rollover IRA, convert it to Roth while your in school when you have almost no income. I did over 3 years and paid almost no taxes, it's like getting 28-33% more money for free.

Put in Roth, and you can still trade it if you want and without the taxes.

If you have any 401k or rollover IRA, convert it to Roth while your in school when you have almost no income. I did over 3 years and paid almost no taxes, it's like getting 28-33% more money for free.
Okay. Yea I have an employer sponsored 401k that I contribute 6% to that they match. When I was working 30-35 hrs a week it was much more now I only work 8-10 so it's a lot less. But still some regardless. That's what I figured Id do since I have no experience trading and would more than likely lose money. Thanks for the input!

Consider using that money for tuition especially if the interest rate is 6.8%. If you borrowed $700 during your first year with 6.8% interest rate, it becomes $910 by the end of your 4th year.

Consider using that money for tuition especially if the interest rate is 6.8%. If you borrowed $700 during your first year with 6.8% interest rate, it becomes $910 by the end of your 4th year.
Interesting rational. I didn't even think of that. Thanks Bmb

I started reading this forum recently. Does anyone here have any favorite stock related internet forums or newsletters they would like to share? I wanted to mess around with a few hundred extra bucks a month in the stock market.

I started reading this forum recently. Does anyone here have any favorite stock related internet forums or newsletters they would like to share? I wanted to mess around with a few hundred extra bucks a month in the stock market.

www.zerohedge.com. The people who really know what's going on in the economy post here. You won't find any of the CNBC cheerleaders on there.

New homes sale tanked in December.

Zero Hedge is considered a joke far and wide. Are they the same people that told you to buy gold 6 months ago at $1500? lmfao...

They have their share of gold bugs on there like every forum does. Heck we had one for a while. I do like their opinion on where the global and US economy is heading. Maybe they need Oldtimer to go over there and beg for them to ban the gold cheerleaders.

Zero Hedge is considered a joke far and wide.

QFT

Zerohedge is worth a hearty chuckle when its at its best. Not much more though.

Seekingalpha is where its at. They post a great amount of vetted articles from actual economists, compared to crackpots on ZH

SA also has opinion and wacko articles for those times you want some speculative entertainment.

QFT

Seekingalpha is where its at. They post a great amount of vetted articles from actual economists, compared to crackpots on ZH

SA also has opinion and wacko articles for those times you want some speculative entertainment.

Seekingalpha looks like a place for the sheeple being led to the next slaughter. They are likely part of the corporate controlled media keeping the "recovery" alive. QE of 85 billion of month for the last 5 years only bought some time and not a recovery.

Seekingalpha looks like a place for the sheeple being led to the next slaughter. They are likely part of the corporate controlled media keeping the "recovery" alive. QE of 85 billion of month for the last 5 years only bought some time and not a recovery.

You do have to pick the right articles.

A lot of it is propaganda but that is acceptable compared to ZH being basically 100% propaganda

You do have to pick the right articles.

A lot of it is propaganda but that is acceptable compared to ZH being basically 100% propaganda

Is it just me, or does it seem like their articles often actually have an appreciable impact on stock price?

The MyRA. Well, well, well, what have we here. Wasn't someone warning about this awhile ago? At first it will be voluntary, until nobody signs up then...

Is it just me, or does it seem like their articles often actually have an appreciable impact on stock price?

Sa ? Yes. Although my cynical side suspects big players are making moves or HFT on the intel before publication

That's what NSA surveillance and the move towards the cloud is all about. Insider trading. Crumbs are thrown to regulators and congress critters to capture their acquiescence to the criminal culture.

QFT

Is a former World Bank chief economist considered a crackpot?

Is Eric Janszen a crackpot?

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showth...2e272a4f90316d0898119645b&p=274911#post274911

sdr.JPG

What if by executive order or act of Congress a deal is offered to holders of tax-deferral retirement vehicles from IRAs, 401ks to annuities that in order to maintain this tax-deferral feature you will have to invest in special US Treasury debt? At first this will be voluntary, then if not enough go for it, the exit taxes are increased to make it more palatable, practically making it mandatory.

Reactions: 1 user
What if by executive order or act of Congress a deal is offered to holders of tax-deferral retirement vehicles from IRAs, 401ks to annuities that in order to maintain this tax-deferral feature you will have to invest in special US Treasury debt? At first this will be voluntary, then if not enough go for it, the exit taxes are increased to make it more palatable, practically making it mandatory.

Well then they will have solved their little debt problem by using our money. Nice little Ponzi scheme.

"But the act of confiscation is almost NEVER called confiscation. It merely becomes punitively unprofitable to keep your savings in a non-state-mandated plan. The private plans can be legislated out of existence, and all other options besides investing them in government bonds in a government account are generally made extremely unattractive. Say, the current 10% penalty and full income tax payment upon early withdrawal is changed to a 35% penalty. Or a 50% penalty. UNLESS one rolls it over to a new-and-improved-and-expanded myRA." --excerpt from JY896, "Work 'til you drop"

I'm really aggressive and undiversified. Currently about 90% of my holdings are in GFA. Have a the rest are MSFT and BRK.B. Once held others like RAD, ELP. This is my good bye student loans plan.

Brazil man, so many macro events affect the stock like USD/Real currency rates. When it dipped to 2.42 last week, I bought and sold at $2.72. This stock is so volatile....but such a high reward as well. My friend who interned for Barclays told me: SNY, gold...ah I'm on break at work and i'll just post later lol.