** The Offical Osteopathic Underdawgs 2018-2019 **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Total under dog here. Terrible MCAT but great everything else. I don’t want to retake so I submitted with the score I received. fingers crossed
How bad was your MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really bad.... 493

How did you prep for it? Did you feel good about the test? Do you have any wow factor like armed forces? A retake will be needed most likely without something like that, and even then you might be wasting money

How did you prep for it? Did you feel good about the test? Do you have any wow factor like armed forces? A retake will be needed most likely without something like that, and even then you might be wasting money

I only had 7 weeks to study. I needed to get back to work full time. I’m a non trad, children, married, first generation college student, 10 years being a pharmacy technician, my wow factor is my personal statement but I don’t want to air that on SDN. My LORs are very strong. I have leadership, volunteering, certificates, tons of shadowing, gpas are average.

Yeah you need to retake that because as @Shammyguy3 said you'll just be throwing money away.

I probably will. I’m going to wait out August and see if I get an interview. I contacted a couple schools and they told me my MCAT was not going to be the end all be all and my app would still be reviewed because everything else was strong. If I retake it, it’ll be the Jan test.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the good word on LORs for nontraditional underdawgs? Currently I have committee letter, non-science prof (public health-anthro course), science prof and a DO. Should I leave it at that? The two professors know me quite well and I'm certain they are strong letters. The DO I shadowed for ~20 hours and we talked but it's probably fairly generic.

I have an MD letter, a letter from my EMS agency director, several other strong science letters... (I kind of "collected them all" due to the fear that some might not follow through on time). Should I add any more or leave it at four? @Goro please advise. :)

What's the good word on LORs for nontraditional underdawgs? Currently I have committee letter, non-science prof (public health-anthro course), science prof and a DO. Should I leave it at that? The two professors know me quite well and I'm certain they are strong letters. The DO I shadowed for ~20 hours and we talked but it's probably fairly generic.

I have an MD letter, a letter from my EMS agency director, several other strong science letters... (I kind of "collected them all" due to the fear that some might not follow through on time). Should I add any more or leave it at four? @Goro please advise. :)

It’s school dependent. Look at the requirements for each school you wish to apply to. Email the admissions team if you have concerns, they get back pretty quick.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck with your cycle @BobbyKoch! I'm also going to be an underdawg next cycle.

It’s school dependent. Look at the requirements for each school you wish to apply to. Email the admissions team if you have concerns, they get back pretty quick.

Thanks! I’m confident I fulfill all the requirements, it’s more a question of how much is too much.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's fine. You know, premeds imbue nearly magical properties onto LORs. More is not better. But having two DO LORs is urare and looked highly by my Adcom peers.

Really bad.... 493
Not gonna lie, that score is going to be tough...but you may find love somewhere. Like another user before me posted, email a person within the admissions office and ask for advice (try going for the dean, assistant dean of admissions, or someone on the student affairs committee). Someone from my alma mater did this, and was accepted to a medical school with a 19 MCAT score. That translates to a 489

Can't sugar coat this, DOA at my school and tons of others, even the newest. You reed to retake, as you're in a risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

IF you have test taking anxiety issues, that can be fixed
:confused: That’s sad to hear

That's fine. You know, premeds imbue nearly magical properties onto LORs. More is not better. But having two DO LORs is urare and looked highly by my Adcom peers.

Thanks for your input. I think the stress of requesting letters has given them greater weight in my mind.

Regarding mcat, I know getting a low score is a gut punch. Especially if you worked hard for it. I worked like crazy and got a 499 first time around. I’ve since retaken (more than once) and last cycle I got several laudatory comments during interviews regarding my improved score. (No accepts tho, so take that fwiw!).

The point is, you can improve your score and there are adcoms that will look on you favorably. 510+ opens some doors, your interview performance and other metrics will decide if they stay open.

Can't sugar coat this, DOA at my school and tons of others, even the newest. You reed to retake, as you're in a risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

IF you have test taking anxiety issues, that can be fixed

I definitely do second guess my answers but I felt more confident as the test progressed. 122,123,124,124; and that showed.

Not gonna lie, that score is going to be tough...but you may find love somewhere. Like another user before me posted, email a person within the admissions office and ask for advice (try going for the dean, assistant dean of admissions, or someone on the student affairs committee). Someone from my alma mater did this, and was accepted to a medical school with a 19 MCAT score. That translates to a 489

I’ve reached out to schools and told them about my MCAT school. I’ve also been very proactive in the last couple years in building relationships with a couple schools admissions offices so they know me well - visiting open houses, personal visits, sit downs about my application, emailing periodically. I think I may still have a shot with those couple schools. But like I said, I’ll wait out August and see, if nothing happens, I’ll schedule my retake for Jan. I have to stay positive because I know one day I will become a physician.

I’ve reached out to schools and told them about my MCAT school. I’ve also been very proactive in the last couple years in building relationships with a couple schools admissions offices so they know me well - visiting open houses, personal visits, sit downs about my application, emailing periodically. I think I may still have a shot with those couple schools. But like I said, I’ll wait out August and see, if nothing happens, I’ll schedule my retake for Jan. I have to stay positive because I know one day I will become a physician.

Keep that attitude. Keep chasing your goal. Prep and slay the beast.

I definitely do second guess my answers but I felt more confident as the test progressed. 122,123,124,124; and that showed.
Fox, going from 122-> 124 is NOT improvement. Even a 496 score will greatly hinder you as a candidate, URM or no. No med school is doing any favors by acepting you if you're a high risk student.

The second guessing bit is a confidence thing. you HAVE to learn to trust your gut and go with your first answer, because that's usually the correct one.

Reactions: 3 users
Fox, going from 122-> 124 is NOT improvement. Even a 496 score will greatly hinder you as a candidate, URM or no. No med school is doing any favors by acepting you if you're a high risk student.

The second guessing bit is a confidence thing. you HAVE to learn to trust your gut and go with your first answer, because that's usually the correct one.

Thanks @Goro, for the advice! That’s what all my undergraduate professors used to tell me also. When I talk to them one on one, I am confident and I understand what I’m talking about. When I test it, that’s a whole different ball game.

n=1 BUT

A guy in my graduating class got accepted into PNWU with a 490 mcat. 4.0 gpa though and a military vet.

Very long shot this year. Planning on applying and retaking the MCAT next year (if needed).

Undergrad: cGPA 3.1 sGPA 2.86
Masters-Entomology: cGPA 3.14. sGPA 3.23
Overall: cGPA 3.11 sGPA 2.95
MCAT: 498

Planning a retake of oChem this year at a community college. Didn’t get over a C when I first did it ten years ago. Feel free to PM with school suggestions.

Good luck everyone.

Very long shot this year. Planning on applying and retaking the MCAT next year (if needed).

Undergrad: cGPA 3.1 sGPA 2.86
Masters-Entomology: cGPA 3.14. sGPA 3.23
Overall: cGPA 3.11 sGPA 2.95
MCAT: 498

Planning a retake of oChem this year at a community college. Didn’t get over a C when I first did it ten years ago. Feel free to PM with school suggestions.

Good luck everyone.

Thank you. Good luck to you too. To be honest, your Master's GPA might raise some eyebrows because grad GPA is known to be inflated and so adcoms expect it to be high. I suggest you apply to the new DO schools like UIW.

I felt the same way. I had a lower GPA/MCAT than many people applying, and was actually heavily discouraged by my pre-med committee to apply. They kept on telling me I was “better suited to become a nurse.” Whatever tf that means.

Just keep grinding, and don’t look back. Try not to compare yourself to other people. For many schools, your ECs actually play a heavier role than you may have thought. If you find that you can’t help yourself, get your shiny PhD diploma out and remind yourself that you’re already a doctor ;)

Totally agree. You never know until you try. I hope you great success this cycle. By the way, awesome addy. I am a huge jazz fan myself. Go Louis Armstrong!

Totally agree. You never know until you try. I hope you great success this cycle. By the way, awesome addy. I am a huge jazz fan myself. Go Louis Armstrong!
Honestly, armstrong classics are the go to for strumming away stress! And thanks for the well wishes, but im definitely not applying this year :laugh:

How about we make this officially official? haha Here's what @AlteredScale posted last year:

This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond I want us to be able to post anything and have similar individuals comment and provide feedback.

It is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well.

Below is to help those who are applying this year with the new MCAT scoring system (the following assumptions are considered hypothetical as scoring scales vary from test date to test date):

Based on a hypothetical chart showing old (before 2015) MCAT conversions between the estimated scale score (1-15) and the percentiles of each of those scores (0-100), the 50th percentile is a composite score of around 25. So one could consider the individual scores within Verbal Reasoning, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences of 7-8 to be around the 50th percentile as well. So thus we can consider underdawgs to have a composite score that is below the 50th percentile (or around a 24).

So with that in mind, we can consider the 2015 MCAT composite score of 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500 could be considered "underdawg" range (or individual scores below 125).....again, this is VERY hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates).

Perhaps the most difficult of having OK academic stats is getting through the primary and secondary screens to land and interview. In many cases, an interview is a subliminal message from the school that they believe you can succeed in the preclinical and clinical curriculum of medical school.

If you feel any additional information can be added to help those in this situation feel free to PM me or any of the other pre-DO mods.

Previous Underdog Threads:
2017-2018 Underdawgs Thread
2016-2017 Underdawgs Thread
2015-2016 Underdog results

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

kuzy cGPA: 3.2 / sGPA: 3.3 / MCAT: 514 / Submitting AACOMAS by end of July / II: / A: / Upward trend, 3.7 last 90 hours (you could say it was a rough start :laugh:). All around swell guy.
kymedic33 cGPA: 2.79 / sGPA: 2.76 / MCAT: 509 / Verified 5-25-18 / II: LECOM-E, University of Kentucky (MD) / A: / Non-trad paramedic, strong upward trend from a rock bottom GPA. Beginning an SMP in August.
RURF2015 cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512 / AACOMAS Verified 6/20/2018 / II: 1 / A:

This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond I want us to be able to post anything and have similar individuals comment and provide feedback.

It is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well.

Below is to help those who are applying this year with the new MCAT scoring system (the following assumptions are considered hypothetical as scoring scales vary from test date to test date):

Based on a hypothetical chart showing old (before 2015) MCAT conversions between the estimated scale score (1-15) and the percentiles of each of those scores (0-100), the 50th percentile is a composite score of around 25. So one could consider the individual scores within Verbal Reasoning, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences of 7-8 to be around the 50th percentile as well. So thus we can consider underdawgs to have a composite score that is below the 50th percentile (or around a 24).

So with that in mind, we can consider the 2015 MCAT composite score of 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500 could be considered "underdawg" range (or individual scores below 125).....again, this is VERY hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates).

Perhaps the most difficult of having OK academic stats is getting through the primary and secondary screens to land and interview. In many cases, an interview is a subliminal message from the school that they believe you can succeed in the preclinical and clinical curriculum of medical school.

If you feel any additional information can be added to help those in this situation feel free to PM me or any of the other pre-DO mods.

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
Cardioenthusio15 cGPA: 3.1 / sGPA: 3.2 / Postbacc: 3.72/ SMP: 3.74/ MCAT: 510 / AACOMAS Verified 7/30/2018 /AMCAS verified: soon/ II: / A: / Extreme Non-trad haha
kuzy cGPA: 3.2 / sGPA: 3.3 / MCAT: 514 / Submitting AACOMAS by end of July / II: / A: / Upward trend, 3.7 last 90 hours (you could say it was a rough start :laugh:). All around swell guy.
kymedic33 cGPA: 2.79 / sGPA: 2.76 / MCAT: 509 / Verified 5-25-18 / II: LECOM-E, University of Kentucky (MD) / A: / Non-trad paramedic, strong upward trend from a rock bottom GPA. Beginning an SMP in August.
RURF2015 cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512 / AACOMAS Verified 6/20/2018 / II: 1 /

5) Click "Post Reply"

Cardioenthusio15 cGPA: 3.1 / sGPA: 3.2 / Postbacc: 3.72/ SMP: 3.74/ MCAT: 510 / AACOMAS Verified 7/30/2018 /AMCAS verified: soon/ II: / A: / Extreme Non-trad haha
RURF2015 cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512 / AACOMAS Verified 6/20/2018 / II: 1
YeezyQ cGPA: 3.3 / sGPA 3.4 / MCAT 509 / AACOMAS Verified mid-July / II: / A: / Strong upward trend.

5) Click "Post Reply"

Cheese Machine: cGPA: 3.38 / sGPA: 3.33 / Postbacc: 3.42 / MCAT: 503 / Verified: 6/6/2018 / II: ATSU-SOMA, UP-KYCOM, ACOM / A: / Special considerations: extensive volunteering with medically underserved, >2000 paid healthcare hours, pretty handsome
RURF2015 cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512 / AACOMAS Verified 6/20/2018 / II: 1
YeezyQ cGPA: 3.3 / sGPA 3.4 / MCAT 509 / AACOMAS Verified mid-July / II: / A: / Strong upward trend

5) Click "Post Reply"

Cheese Machine: cGPA: 3.38 / sGPA: 3.33 / Postbacc: 3.42 / MCAT: 503 / Verified: 6/6/2018 / II: ATSU-SOMA, UP-KYCOM, ACOM / A: / Special considerations: extensive volunteering with medically underserved, >2000 paid healthcare hours, pretty handsome
RURF2015 cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512 / AACOMAS Verified 6/20/2018 / II: 6 / A:
YeezyQ cGPA: 3.3 / sGPA 3.4 / MCAT 509 / AACOMAS Verified mid-July / II: / A: / Strong upward trend

Let's get it.

Just submitted a bunch of primaries

Undergrad: 3.1ish cGPA / <3.0 sGPA
Post Bacc: 3.95
Final GPA: 3.2x/3.1x
MCAT: 507
Will update as needed. Wish I had my app prepared earlier but it's all good

5) Click "Post Reply"

Rivka95: cGPA: 3.7/sGPA 3.65/MCAT 498. ACCEPTED TO KYCOM!!!
RURF2015 cGPA: 3.03 / sGPA: 3.11 / SMP GPA 3.85 / MCAT: 512 / AACOMAS Verified 6/20/2018 / II: 6 / A:

looking for advice.

will probably be an underdog around a 3.4 GPA. looking for advice if I should do undergraduate research or look more for a scribing opportunity? I can only do one or the other. thanks in advanced

5) Click "Post Reply"

JDsfloatingheadDR: cGPA: 3.07 / sGPA 3.08 / MCAT #1 501, MCAT #2 512 / Verified 7/21/ II: / A: / Pretty strong and sustained upward trend, 4000+ hospital work experience, 4000+ clinical research experience
Rivka95: cGPA: 3.7/sGPA 3.65/MCAT 498. ACCEPTED TO KYCOM!!!

looking for advice.

will probably be an underdog around a 3.4 GPA. looking for advice if I should do undergraduate research or look more for a scribing opportunity? I can only do one or the other. thanks in advanced

depends. scribing pays. research doesn't (I'm assuming). if you have enough patient care hours, I'd personally do research.

Now that my pending MCAT score is back, the waiting continues...

My stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Undergrad Science: 2.9
Graduate GPA: 3.7
Graduate Science: 3.8
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT: 507 (128, 124, 128, 127)
ESL Student, VA resident
Applying to MD & DO.

Submitted primaries back in late June. Verified early July. Got some holds due to a pending MCAT score. Secondaries received for all school except for one. Submitted them all by this point.
No II's and no rejection... YET (Knock on the wood).

Good luck everyone!

3.1 both GPAs with a first Mcat of 495 and a second Mcat of a 513. Just received my first acceptance!!

Reactions: 9 users
3.1 both GPAs with a first Mcat of 495 and a second Mcat of a 513. Just received my first acceptance!!

Congratulations!!!!!! You're gonna be a doctor!

What was your strongest point in the application? Life story/experience/?

What was your strongest point in the application? Life story/experience/?
Honestly probably my 513. I had very similar ECs just more hours this go around and have received 3 IIs, while I didn't get any last go around. So if you have a low GPA or MCAT, I'd recommend making both those average or at least one of them above average for the school your're looking at.

You are NOT an underdog with that pbGPA and MCAT...

"It is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well."

You're right! I am not an underdog. I am an underdawg!
Here are some of the rules that were previously posted - I don't believe pbGPA is factored in?

Either way... some 4+ years ago I was sitting in a meeting with my pre-med advisor, having a 2.6 cGPA, getting ripped apart. He told I should forget about med school and be thankful if I ended up in PA.

I remain thankful for that moment.

Reactions: 13 users
Just wanted to throw a little encouraging message to anyone applying now or next year: It is still pretty early in the cycle and i already have 3 DO acceptances, and I’m cancelling my other 4 interviews (including one at ATSU-SOMA). Last year I would not have thought this would be possible since I had a very low sGPA but I raised it to a 3.3. I got a 123 in my CP section of my MCAT and a 124 on the CARS but I still got into my top DO choice and I am so happy. Moral of the story: YOU CAN DO IT

Reactions: 11 users