The Official 01/28/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Saturday, January 28, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 1 p.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
...Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

I take my MCAT in april, and have been reading how hard the BS section was on your guys test. Had a few questions:
1) What was hard about this section?
2) Seeing how this section has developed into a harder section than previous years, what can I do now while I have some time to help me on this section?

Please let me know. THANKS!
It was very interpretive. Once you take AAMC 11 you'll understand these types of passages. They make you look at some data and interpret the results, but its not just spitting back the data, you actually have to think about it and make some connections between passage information and the data.

Theres not much you can do as AAMC 11 was the only thing I thought was like this test. Maybe trying to hunt down some more data heavy passages and definitely making sure your strong in verbal as they require the same type of thinking.

Hey,

I take my MCAT in april, and have been reading how hard the BS section was on your guys test. Had a few questions:
1) What was hard about this section?
2) Seeing how this section has developed into a harder section than previous years, what can I do now while I have some time to help me on this section?

Please let me know. THANKS!

It wasn't that much harder, if at all, than the AAMC practice exams. I think the real test is simply harder psychologically, and many people interpret that difficulty as the material being harder. I will say it may have been a little more difficult, but not much. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's not a different game. Lots of practice, especially with passages, coupled with solid background knowledge. You'll do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh...this wait is the worst! for some reason, my mind constantly thinks about this test- one day i am worrying about the PS , next Verbal, next BS, and then the cycle repeats. . anytime i see numbers, no matter where (tv, billboards, magazines,etc), i think its some sort of a sign. Each time i am on my computer, i can not stop myself from checking out the sdn mcat forum...i swear its not under my control anymore..its almost like a reflex now.

I know all this sounds very dramatic, but i just needed to vent.
That's all. ok, now back to fetal position.

ugh...this wait is the worst! for some reason, my mind constantly thinks about this test- one day i am worrying about the PS , next Verbal, next BS, and then the cycle repeats. . anytime i see numbers, no matter where (tv, billboards, magazines,etc), i think its some sort of a sign. Each time i am on my computer, i can not stop myself from checking out the sdn mcat forum...i swear its not under my control anymore..its almost like a reflex now.

I know all this sounds very dramatic, but i just needed to vent.
That's all. ok, now back to fetal position.

For me, the month after taking the MCAT goes in cycles. The first week after the test, I can stop trying to remember questions and looking up questions I wasn't sure about. The week after that, I pretty much forget I ever took the test. Currently, I've just entered the "Oh my god, did I accidently void!?" portion....

For me, the month after taking the MCAT goes in cycles. The first week after the test, I can stop trying to remember questions and looking up questions I wasn't sure about. The week after that, I pretty much forget I ever took the test. Currently, I've just entered the "Oh my god, did I accidently void!?" portion....

thanks for your honest reply. i thought i was all alone in my misery/madness .

I spent the first two weeks wallowing in misery, hopelessness and depression while drinking my brain cells to death. But I think I'm finally okay again. I wasn't going to check my score and just have someone give me a "yes or no to whether I got a 28 or below" But I decided that I'm going to man up, check my score, spend the night being upset - get over it, and then retake the exam. I have my moments of optimism, that maybe, just maybe, humanity and the god I don't believe in felt extreme pity and sorrow for me and that somehow, against all odds, this test was a fluke, and I really got a 35. But I'm still pretty sure I got a 10 total. There's nothing like the sweet burn of reality to crush all of your hopes and dreams.

I already ordered my EC 1001 & BR books & Tests. Kind of mad that this whole retake (books + test fee) is going to cost me about $600 in addition to the $3000 I already paid for Kaplan and a tutor, but I'd like to think in 10 years I'll be making bank and this will all be a distant nightmare.

I spent the first two weeks wallowing in misery, hopelessness and depression while drinking my brain cells to death. But I think I'm finally okay again. I wasn't going to check my score and just have someone give me a "yes or no to whether I got a 28 or below" But I decided that I'm going to man up, check my score, spend the night being upset - get over it, and then retake the exam. I have my moments of optimism, that maybe, just maybe, humanity and the god I don't believe in felt extreme pity and sorrow for me and that somehow, against all odds, this test was a fluke, and I really got a 35. But I'm still pretty sure I got a 10 total. There's nothing like the sweet burn of reality to crush all of your hopes and dreams.

I already ordered my EC 1001 & BR books & Tests. Kind of mad that this whole retake (books + test fee) is going to cost me about $600 in addition to the $3000 I already paid for Kaplan and a tutor, but I'd like to think in 10 years I'll be making bank and this will all be a distant nightmare.

I am the father of an undergrad junior who will give his first try to tackle this MCAT beast on 3/24; and I have been on & off wandering around this forum for a couple of years without registration which I just did a few days ago. Reading all the messages from the 1/27/12 & 1/28/12 tests, I just have so much respect on all you guys had gone/going/will go through. Whatever you get after 5pm? on Feb 29/30, you all are winners. This is brutal, not just the test, but the preparation, and the waiting. My goodness. I just cannot imagine the mental toll on a body in terms of anxiety, stress that spread out from a few months for some to a year or two for others. A lot of you try to make fun of yourself with lots of imaginaion to cheer up & support each other. Amazing!

Keep up the good work on this journey!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am the father of an undergrad junior who will give his first try to tackle this MCAT beast on 3/24; and I have been on & off wandering around this forum for a couple of years without registration which I just did a few days ago. Reading all the messages from the 1/27/12 & 1/28/12 tests, I just have so much respect on all you guys had gone/going/will go through. Whatever you get after 5pm? on Feb 29/30, you all are winners. This is brutal, not just the test, but the preparation, and the waiting. My goodness. I just cannot imagine the mental toll on a body in terms of anxiety, stress that spread out from a few months for some to a year or two for others. A lot of you try to make fun of yourself with lots of imaginaion to cheer up & support each other. Amazing!

Awwwww that's beautiful, I teared up a little. It is pretty ridiculous though, all of this suffering for just a little test. But I guess that's the beauty of being a human.

:thumbup:
and this is just the beginning! :)

Had a dream last night that I got a 37 (which is my goal score). My sister handed me a note with my score breakdown. For 15 seconds, I felt like a boss. Then I looked again and it turned into random digits. Checked my score online and I did terrible.

Gah, I want this to be done so I can stop having MCAT dreams.

Had a dream last night that I got a 37 (which is my goal score). My sister handed me a note with my score breakdown. For 15 seconds, I felt like a boss. Then I looked again and it turned into random digits. Checked my score online and I did terrible.

Gah, I want this to be done so I can stop having MCAT dreams.

I'd be thrilled with a 36 or better. My practice scores were ranging from 32-35...so does 36 seem out of reach? o_O

Oh boy oh boy, I have pretty bad "scores anxiety" right now. MCAT scores come out on Feb 28, I presume? Hopefully everyone did ok.

That's what I love about this site. For the most part, people are pretty helpful and supportive. I think it would have been a lot more difficult to go through my second MCAT prep without hearing about other people doing the same thing. Not to mention the fact that I would have never found SN2's study schedule.

That's what I love about this site. For the most part, people are pretty helpful and supportive. I think it would have been a lot more difficult to go through my second MCAT prep without hearing about other people doing the same thing. Not to mention the fact that I would have never found SN2's study schedule.

SDN is like a support group for stressed*-out premeds because everyone else just doesn't understand.

Last edited:
SDN is like a support group for stress-out premeds because everyone else just doesn't understand.

There's certainty a much larger variety of people than in my undergrad.

Most people either did great and are in medical school..... Or just gave up.

I'm somewhere in the middle which is rare among the people I know. It makes SDN a daily stop for me.

Yes, I can't wait for the nightmares to stop. I want to actually be able to sleep again. Please God let me score high enough so that I don't have to take this damn thing again.

I freaked out pretty bad a few days after the test, then I was calm about it for about a week and a half and now I'm back to freaking out. I think because scores are so close to coming out the pressure is getting really intense. :scared:

There's certainty a much larger variety of people than in my undergrad.

Most people either did great and are in medical school..... Or just gave up.

I'm somewhere in the middle which is rare among the people I know. It makes SDN a daily stop for me.

Couldn't be more true! Glad to see we're not alone in this limbo state.

Definitely in limbo. Felt great about the test, also finished all sections early but the thought of getting a 29 again is scary (didn't finish ps and bs last time :/ ) .Rationally I keep telling myself I did at least 5 more questions , so it has to be much better this time around but paranoia galore...

I keep logging in daily to see if the scores are posted or not, in case they idk decide to release them a bit early... this is making me even more nervous! I think I'll stop and just wait 10 more freaking days

I keep logging in daily to see if the scores are posted or not, in case they idk decide to release them a bit early... this is making me even more nervous! I think I'll stop and just wait 10 more freaking days

I don't think they have ever come out early.

:xf:I went back to some old mcat club threads and looked through them. Pretty funny how identical their emotions were to what we are going through. The prep, The test, The immediate feelings, and then the 30 days of limbo. Encouraging though is that most everyone posting would hit their average, im still worried about PS though

:xf:

The main source of stress for me was the infernal typing noises during my VR section. The noise-cancelling headsets don't really block out that much noise. Luckily I didn't let it get to me too much.

The main source of stress for me was the infernal typing noises during my VR section. The noise-cancelling headsets don't really block out that much noise. Luckily I didn't let it get to me too much.

Yeah, I sorta knew that was gonna happen. I brought ear plugs with me this time though, made a big difference because I could concentrate on VR. I dont know though we'll see when the score comes out if they made a difference. That monkey on my back is getting heavier every day.

I had the same issue typing when I'm
On the last passage. Luckily it was an easier one and I just used my headphones for writing and BS. I was sitting next to the door so peoe were coming in and out frequently which was kind of annoying. I didn't feel like it got to me too bad though.

The noise-cancelling headsets don't really block out that much noise.

You got noise-cancelling headphones? Like, legit noise-cancelling?

We got the thinnest pair of earmuffs I've ever seen--they wouldn't have been allowed at a shooting range, that's for sure--and they were non-adjustable, and since I have smaller head, they pushed down on the tops of my ears and gave me a headache by the time VR hit (sounds finicky, but you try taking a five-hour test with your head and ears throbbing).

Tip for you who haven't taken it: bring earplugs.

You got noise-cancelling headphones? Like, legit noise-cancelling?

We got the thinnest pair of earmuffs I've ever seen--they wouldn't have been allowed at a shooting range, that's for sure--and they were non-adjustable, and since I have smaller head, they pushed down on the tops of my ears and gave me a headache by the time VR hit (sounds finicky, but you try taking a five-hour test with your head and ears throbbing).

Tip for you who haven't taken it: bring earplugs.

I got headphones as well, but I don't think they were the expensive, noise-cancellling type. They did work pretty well though. Much better than the foam earplugs I got from the same testing center when I first took the test. They kept falling out of my ears and rolling on the floor.

Not trolling? You made
An account name "stop whining " today and used your first post to say that. Sure doesn't sound like trolling

LOL. This is a good demonstration of why you guys are so nervous about your scores... instead of posting on hear about eagplugs and etc., you should doing academic,service, or other work! Obviously, when you all were studying for the MCAT, you followed this same lackluster attittude and took time away from your studying to do worthless things. Especially for a January test date, there is no excuse to do bad (e.g. under 30). I averaged a 40 on AAMC practice tests, and that is what I am going to get. This was not a difficult test. They literally tell you ever topic that will be on the MCAT and there is enough time to learn it all.

And no, I am not trolling. I'm checked this today this forum today to see when the scores will be out and saw this patheticness.

cat_cool_story_bro3.jpg

I'm hear to talk about the MCAT, not this petty discussion. And creepy would be if I new you were 5'8", 165 lbs...:eek:

You're taking your time to look up multiple old posts of mine. (In a very short time span)

You are in every sense of the word creepy.

Everybody needs to chill out.

stopwhining, you're clearly gifted academically but I think you've got a lot to learn when it comes to communicating with others. Nobody is going to like a doctor who is outright condescending, you can't talk down to your patients and justify it by telling them you got a 40+ MCAT score, they're not going to care about your MCAT score.

Not everybody on* SDN has the exact same background some of us have been luckier than others.

People come here for support and help.

iceman, don't listen to stopwhining. Work hard enough and you'll get into med school and don't quit just because your first 3 MCATs didn't go so well, learn from your mistakes and get the job done. If you quit you'll never become a doctor.

Last edited: