The Official 4/26/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clothcut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In lieu of the other threads popping up, I thought it'd be good for those of us taking the test to identify ourselves :thumbup:

I'm not planning on following a rigid study schedule until January, but I think I'm going to watch a single video off of wikipremed daily to lightly review.

Good luck to everyone... we will crush this exam..

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking my MCAT in jan but If I were you guys I would start studying at least 1 ch a week . I had to read PR physics 3 times before understanding it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there really not many of us taking it this date? hmm.... anyway for those of us here, what are your guys' study plans? i.e. materials, when you are gonna start, ect.

Are there really not many of us taking it this date? hmm.... anyway for those of us here, what are your guys' study plans? i.e. materials, when you are gonna start, ect.

Hm, yeah, this thread seems unusually quiet. Maybe because the date is so far.

Anyway, I plan on following the Sn2ed schedule starting mid-Jan. For now, I'm going to watch one video from wikipremed per day, read 3 articles from the economist, and try to read the intro/results of a random science article every other day, along w/ some daily brain games (Luminosity) to keep my head sharp.

Hm, yeah, this thread seems unusually quiet. Maybe because the date is so far.

Anyway, I plan on following the Sn2ed schedule starting mid-Jan. For now, I'm going to watch one video from wikipremed per day, read 3 articles from the economist, and try to read the intro/results of a random science article every other day, along w/ some daily brain games (Luminosity) to keep my head sharp.

Sounds pretty solid. Are you taking classes in the spring as well?

I'm signed up for a TPR online course starting january, but going to start my heavy studying the end of November. I'm basically going to do SN2'ds schedule, but with all TPR+EK 1001 material and spread out over 5 months. I know he advises against that, but I'm taking classes as well (although its a fairly light load). I think by spreading it out I can get a really solid content foundation, do every passage/problem in the workbooks, and avoid burnout as best as I can.

Sounds pretty solid. Are you taking classes in the spring as well?

I'm signed up for a TPR online course starting january, but going to start my heavy studying the end of November. I'm basically going to do SN2'ds schedule, but with all TPR+EK 1001 material and spread out over 5 months. I know he advises against that, but I'm taking classes as well (although its a fairly light load). I think by spreading it out I can get a really solid content foundation, do every passage/problem in the workbooks, and avoid burnout as best as I can.

Good call. Have you heard good things about the TPR course? I've been reluctant to shell out money because of hearing mixed things about review courses, but if it's worth it I'd do it. I'm actually not taking any classes next semester aside from part-time work, so I'm torn as to whether or not I should just stick to the Sn2ed schedule or look for a review course.

Good call. Have you heard good things about the TPR course? I've been reluctant to shell out money because of hearing mixed things about review courses, but if it's worth it I'd do it. I'm actually not taking any classes next semester aside from part-time work, so I'm torn as to whether or not I should just stick to the Sn2ed schedule or look for a review course.

I think you can do perfectly fine without a review course. A lot of courses have less to do with what company it is, and more about how good your instructors are. I decided to do one because I think the review by an instructor could help supplement my own studying. I chose online because no classroom courses are offered in my area, and I went with TPR because I think they have a good balance of detail in their content review books. Plus from what I've read the workbook passages are very good, so we'll see :)

Hey guys: 4/26 mcat test date hopeful. Still debating it though cause i will still be doing classes then. But yeah: i think it is a good time for me to do it tho.

Study plan:
phase 1: I start vacation from work today after my shift and i have FML for November, so:
follow exam krackers home study to the end of December (i don't have some of the materials from the SND schedule so i will use EK) I do have TPR materials and a Kaplan book...so i might double down on that.
In addition this: i am a visual person so i have to supplement this with all *wikipremed videos/khan academy videos/chad videos*
I also have Schwam's 3000 questions in physics/orgo/genChem: so i will use those wisely for practice.
Come to the end of December i will wrap up phase 1 (my own study plan). I hope this raises me 5 points. I did AAMC #3 without reading anything and after taking only Bio 1 and GenChem 1...scored a 20...so hope to pull up ma socks to atleast a 25.

Phase II:
I am signed up for the TPR online class beginning Jan,02...i have to do this for my own sake, coz i believe i need structure and help in many areas (non trad)...so i cant trust ma self to do this alone. I hope this will equate to the investment (1800 bucks). Plan to do all the work assigned. Just go ma TPR materials: ma gosh...a big-ol box of books: am like,,what the!---
I hope for a 5 point increase from this class. Equating this strategem should get me to that 30 score mark and feeling comfortable to make an attempt for the real thing in April.
Since the TPR class ends in March(14th)...from then on to the test date is about 6 weeks: off to phase III

Phase III:
Use those six weeks to go back and pretty much tackle on ma weaknesses. do so many verbal passages (by the way...i feel good about verbal: got an 8 on that AAMC 3 practice and i do okay on practice EK 101 passages: so i can raise that to a min. 10)
Utilize ma 6 weeks effectively...2-3-4 hours a day studying...so that i don't loose out on what i learned before. Test out Tim's PS strategem of aceing that section with atleast a 13 by not reading the passages...cut down time. Phase III is critical to my study plan. In that regard: hopefully propel my score 3-5 extra points (seems unlikely)===i already state 5 n 5= 10 point jump...but pray for me.

Then: see you all *well not really* 4/26 test date

My light MCAT schedule for (10/21):

- Read three articles from the Economist (will commit to daily before exam)
- Mindsparke Brain exercises
- Read through AAMC outlines to familiarize myself w/ how to schedule short, daily preliminary content review before serious study in January.

I'm hoping to take it on this date too.

I don't plan to start studying till late December early January. TPR and EK. I'm thinking about using the EK mainly, and TPR for clarification or for material I need to go more in depth with.

What are y'all using?

I'm hoping to take it on this date too.

I don't plan to start studying till late December early January. TPR and EK. I'm thinking about using the EK mainly, and TPR for clarification or for material I need to go more in depth with.

What are y'all using?

Same here. I plan on getting on a rigorous study schedule using EK and TBR starting early January. I'm also taking Physics and OChem right now, which will help with content review. Right now, I've printed out the AAMC outlines and I have been going through very speedy content review (1 hr per day) via mcat-review.org. I've also gotten in the habit of reading a few New Yorker/Economist articles per day.

I am taking it on that date after having a dismal 20 when I took it last month but cant find the motivation to start studying again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking it on that date after having a dismal 20 when I took it last month but cant find the motivation to start studying again.

I know it sounds kinda dumb, but one of the things that motivates me to study is going to one of my dream school's websites and looking at pictures of their white coat ceremonies, or just pics of the campus. For some reason it gives me a little taste of what it's going to feel like when I start med school, and I know that when I'm there looking back at the frustration the mcat caused it will be all worth it. I hope this helps :) and good luck man. We can do this!

Officially in!!!!

My preparation will begin on December 20. I will be working full-time while studying. I'm planning to dedicate 5 hours/day, 6days/week. My preparation starts with Chat's videos and TBR content review for month followed by practicing passages and questions from TBR, TPR, EK and AAMC for the remaining 3 months.

For verbal, I'm planning to start next week reading one wsj article every night to improve my comprehension and speed.

P.S. I'm a retaker.

Hi guys

I too will be taking the test on this date. I wish you all the best and that we will all be successful in our studies.

Well I've been doing some research and I will be using the Berkely review as I cannot afford the Kaplan or Princeton courses.

:)

I know it sounds kinda dumb, but one of the things that motivates me to study is going to one of my dream school's websites and looking at pictures of their white coat ceremonies, or just pics of the campus. For some reason it gives me a little taste of what it's going to feel like when I start med school, and I know that when I'm there looking back at the frustration the mcat caused it will be all worth it. I hope this helps :) and good luck man. We can do this!

haha, not gonna lie, I do this too.

haha, not gonna lie, I do this too.

i do something similar.

but instead of looking at schools' websites, i just think about all my peers from college who are now wearing white coats. do i want to get left behind? of course not.

i do something similar.

but instead of looking at schools' websites, i just think about all my peers from college who are now wearing white coats. do i want to get left behind? of course not.

haha thats pretty good, I've never thought of it like that.

I'm just afraid I'll get a couple months into studying and get burned out really bad and not come back. I've only had really bad burnout once, and it was while taking both orgo 1 and 2 over the summer. Those 10-12 hour days of studying get to you after a while....

I'll be taking the MCAT on 4/27, but what's a few hours between friends, I'll join you guys! I plan to do the SN2 review for four months, which puts my starting date somewhere around Christmas Eve. Happy holidays hahaha. Until then, I'm reading one chapter in BR a day (6 days/wk) and creating Anki flashcards for the important stuff. Once i finish all 38ish chapters, I'm going to shift gears and try to answer as many questions on the MCAT forum as possible. That should keep me sharp until I start actually doing practice problems.

I also have taken the MCAT before and scored pretty well, so let me know if you have any questions about the test taking process or anything like that.

Bump. So I don't know about any of you guys, but right now it kinda feels like the calm before the storm. I'm getting antsy about waiting to start studying. I don't want to start too early for fear of forgetting stuff by april, but I don't want to start my schedule and realize I need more time/more break days, or get burned out all together. Any thoughts? Cause as of now we are less than 6 months out....

Bump. So I don't know about any of you guys, but right now it kinda feels like the calm before the storm. I'm getting antsy about waiting to start studying. I don't want to start too early for fear of forgetting stuff by april, but I don't want to start my schedule and realize I need more time/more break days, or get burned out all together. Any thoughts? Cause as of now we are less than 6 months out....

I am a retaker, so I can relate to this from my experience.

I studied for a little less than six weeks, and obviously it wasn't enough at all. I think I could have benefited from an extra two months of studying. However, anything more than that would have resulted in a major burn out.

I think starting now is not a bad idea, as long as it's only content review with mild practice. Don't waste precious practice material if you're ready to fully commit to studying.

I'm also scheduled for this date. Thought I was going to take it this Fall but decided to delay for some more rigorous classes. Super geared up mentally, just ready to start studying.

Plan is offically start studying the first Monday of January. I'll be doing 2 weeks intense physics concept review (6 days on, Sundays off) followed by 2 weeks trouble shooting, mainly focusing on passages. I will follow through with this pattern from physics, chemistry, and biology. I will then do a quick verbal review, if I have time, with the last 1-2 weeks prior to test filled with taking practice exams and extensively scrutinizing incorrect answers. Last 2 days prior to test will be used to cry, perform pagan rituals, and other things "Kaplan: Occult ways to cracking the MCAT" suggests.

I am a retaker, so I can relate to this from my experience.

I studied for a little less than six weeks, and obviously it wasn't enough at all. I think I could have benefited from an extra two months of studying. However, anything more than that would have resulted in a major burn out.

I think starting now is not a bad idea, as long as it's only content review with mild practice. Don't waste precious practice material if you're ready to fully commit to studying.

I think I'm going to wait another couple of weeks to start, for that very reason; I don't want to waste valuable material. The main reason I want to start early though is because I'll be taking classes next semester, and don't want to get overwhelmed. If I wasn't in classes i would do the SN2ed 3 month schedule to a T.

I'm registered for 4/26 as well. I am going to take either the Princeton Review online or live course, which starts in January. I plan and lightly reviewing the material and starting an outline from the official AAMC contents pages.

I am taking off work from Jan-May for the test, so I plan on dedicating a lot of time for study.

Yeah, I agree, definitely the calm before the storm. I plan on take a light load next semester (12 hrs with the exception of physical chem and biochem 2) in the hopes that I will have a ton of studying time. Ill start studying probably the 1st of january, but I will definitely start reading chapters mid December just so I can feel like I'm doing something.

Yeah, I agree, definitely the calm before the storm. I plan on take a light load next semester (12 hrs with the exception of physical chem and biochem 2) in the hopes that I will have a ton of studying time. Ill start studying probably the 1st of january, but I will definitely start reading chapters mid December just so I can feel like I'm doing something.

I suggest that you take less classes or substitute one of the sciences with a GE. I'm taking 13 units of light courses, except for Anatomy, and can't imagine myself adding 40+ hours of MCAT studying to my current schedule. 12 semester hours necessitate approximately 40 hours/week of in-class and out-class work. It's true that you may still have plenty of time to fill, but you need to consider the possibility of burning out. Having lots of free time doesn't necessarily mean having lots of available time to dedicate to MCAT preparation. I don't know about you, but my brain needs time to relax and goof around. I can't do 12hr/day of constant studying for 4 months.

I suggest that you take less classes or substitute one of the sciences with a GE. I'm taking 13 units of light courses, except for Anatomy, and can't imagine myself adding 40+ hours of MCAT studying to my current schedule. 12 semester hours necessitate approximately 40 hours/week of in-class and out-class work. It's true that you may still have plenty of time to fill, but you need to consider the possibility of burning out. Having lots of free time doesn't necessarily mean having lots of available time to dedicate to MCAT preparation. I don't know about you, but my brain needs time to relax and goof around. I can't do 12hr/day of constant studying for 4 months.

Are adcoms going to look down on someone who takes a lighter load the semester that they take the mcat? I'm only taking 13 credits now, and I'll only have 12 next semester. I heard somewhere that they tend to frown on that....but in my case they are fairly difficult classes, plus I just don't need to load up on credits like I did my first couple years.

Hi everyone,

I'm also taking the April 26th MCAT and I am so nervous/excited! I'm going to start reviewing physics in December (I'm horrible in physics). I've been reading everyone's posts and found it pretty interesting that many of you are reading articles from the Economist and watching wikipremed videos, so I will start doing that soon. I will be following Sn2ed's study schedule rigorously in January and will be taking only 12 credit hours. Pretty light course load minus Biochem 2.

Like I said, I'm super nervous and I hope I don't get burnt out. But I wish the best of luck to everyone!!!! :)

Last edited:
Bump. So I started doing some VR practice today, and I'm going do 2 passages a day from here on out. I'm scared I'll score something like 12/6/12 and just be up a creek cuz of freakin verbal.

I'm still not sure of when to start my hardcore studying, for reasons posted above. I have a couple papers due next week, so I think I'm going to start as soon as I get those done. We'll see I guess.... How's everyone else doing?

Not to be mean or anything, but why does everyone freak out about verbal? It's the most self contained part of the test. You don't need to know anything about the subject before reading the passage.

It's the most self contained part of the test. You don't need to know anything about the subject before reading the passage.

Thats exactly it. There's no way to study or prepare for what can be thrown at you. The biggest hang up for me is that all of the correct answers are so ambiguous, and the ones that my gut instinct says are right are usually traps. I know the only way to improve is with practice, thus my starting with passages now.

I myself am getting ants in my pants about starting to study. I think I may try and start knocking out some concept review coupled with passages after Thanksgiving. Don't want to overstudy, but the waiting is making me want to proactively jump the gun.

I planned on 3/23 but I think I'm gonna register for the 4/26 date. I'll probably need an extra month despite the fact the MCAT date falls pretty close to finals. Good thing is if I mow down my classes I won't have to take most of the finals. But, 4.5 months of studying is better than 3.5 I guess. Plus I struggle with physics so I'm assuming I'll need more time than I originally thought.

After a lot of anxious debating on when I should start, I've committed to starting my study plan this Monday. I have an exam that morning, then I'll have all of thanksgiving to get going and find a groove. I know we will still be over 5 months out a that point, but with my schedule content review/practice passages are going to take 4 of those months, and the last month is nothing but practice tests. I need to keep reminding myself that this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint....

When is everyone else planning on starting?

After a lot of anxious debating on when I should start, I've committed to starting my study plan this Monday. I have an exam that morning, then I'll have all of thanksgiving to get going and find a groove. I know we will still be over 5 months out a that point, but with my schedule content review/practice passages are going to take 4 of those months, and the last month is nothing but practice tests. I need to keep reminding myself that this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint....

When is everyone else planning on starting?
I think I have decided to take TPRHL course starting in January. That will run me to April 4, with a couple weeks to shore up loose areas before the actual test.

I printed out the subject area sheets from the MCAT site, so in December I plan on creating an outline using those sheets. Pertinent information that I can add to as I really ramp up the studying come January.

I am taking off work from Jan - May to study. I am hoping #1 I can afford it financially and #2 I can stay focused and dedicated to studying 6 hours a day.

I plan to re-take the test in April of 2013. Not sure why people have started registering already for the exam dates ? I mean, is it a fight to get an exam date. I haven't registered for April but mentally decided to take the exam sometime in April. I haven't started studying. I tell myself everyday I need to. I put so much energy / enthusiasm into taking MCAT first time but unfortunately did not get the score I wanted. Now it scares me to start the whole rigamarole again but I know I have to sooner or later because more than anything else I want to be a physician. Anyways hoping that this Thanksgiving break I can pick up my books again. Working 40 hrs a week and studying just kills me.

Last final is on Friday... Then I will start studying probably on Monday. Goodbye free time!

Everyone is starting to study now? I was thinking second week of January to test date would be plenty of time to study.

Granted, I'm planning on having a Sunday to Friday study schedule and work Friday and Saturday's.

Everyone is starting to study now? I was thinking second week of January to test date would be plenty of time to study.

Granted, I'm planning on having a Sunday to Friday study schedule and work Friday and Saturday's.

I actually started a few weeks ago, but I did so for a few reasons. I will be studying while taking classes/working/keeping up with ECs, so I think starting earlier was a good idea.

I'm hoping to take the Mcat early April or the 26, the latest. I work full-time and utterly exhausted after work. How are you guys studying for it? I was thinking of joining a study group or take the TPR course, however, i can't afford that at the moment. Maybe joining this group will keep me motivated. :)

Hey guys, I'm hoping y'all's break is going smoothly.

So, I'm starting to get all my crap together to start "officially" studying and I'm wondering if I should buy the EK 1001 verbal book. I've heard mix things. Opinions would be great!

Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm hoping y'all's break is going smoothly.

So, I'm starting to get all my crap together to start "officially" studying and I'm wondering if I should buy the EK 1001 verbal book. I've heard mix things. Opinions would be great!

Thanks!

EK101 verbal book is the best verbal prep book there is, followed closely by TPRH verbal book. Everyone should have both of those.

EK101 verbal book is the best verbal prep book there is, followed closely by TPRH verbal book. Everyone should have both of those.

Thanks! Yeah, I have TPRH just didn't know if it was worth getting. Alright.

How's everyone's studying coming?

I'm chugging along....every once in a while I get raped by a passage, even though I felt strong in content, so I don't know. Despite my better judgement, part of me wants to take a practice test when I'm about halfway through content, just so I have some idea of how its coming along. I know it won't be as effective, but maybe it will give me some motivation to study harder if I do poorly

yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I am going to do. I will probably take a test just to see where I am. That's what all my friends are telling me to do. Just so I can see where I am weak, what I need to focus on, and etc.

I'm hoping to register for 4/26, but it seems that I'm late to the game and all the California seats are taken! Hoping for some cancellations so I can swoop in! How likely do you think it will be that seats open up?

Still a tiny bit unsure if I'm going to end up taking it this spring with a full-time grad student courseload, but I'll try. The next earliest open test date for me is the same week as finals so I'm wary about that...

As for studying, I currently have EK and Kaplan books and looking to get some BR books. It's been a few years since my basic pre-reqs so we'll see how this turns out... hopefully you guys will keep me motivated with the MCAT studying!