The Official 5/1/2010 MCAT Club...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaSpectacular

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let the games begin...

Members don't see this ad.

There you go. I didn't retake it because of a lack of balance, I just hadn't studied verbal as hard as I could have and wanted to make sure I'd done my best. Going in to the MCAT I didn't care if my score was a 25 or a 45, I just wanted to make sure I'd given it my all and done the very best I could. That's why I retook, so that I'd always know I'd given it everything. I'm sorry I caused so much contention, good luck to everyone here!

I'm still a better writer than you....

OBVIOUSLY KIDDING!!!! Awesome score. You are obviously a very intelligent individual. Good luck on your app process!

There you go. I didn't retake it because of a lack of balance, I just hadn't studied verbal as hard as I could have and wanted to make sure I'd done my best. Going in to the MCAT I didn't care if my score was a 25 or a 45, I just wanted to make sure I'd given it my all and done the very best I could. That's why I retook, so that I'd always know I'd given it everything. I'm sorry I caused so much contention, good luck to everyone here!

Wow. Impressive. Still can't believe you did it, but I guess there are super kids.

I'm still a better writer than you....

OBVIOUSLY KIDDING!!!! Awesome score. You are obviously a very intelligent individual. Good luck on your app process!

Yeah, after 2 tries I guess I gotta admit that writing just isn't one of my gifts :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I couldn't have time to retake as I have kids and a full-time job. I'm sure that if I retake I can get a higher score, but I'm also sure that's a stupid waste of my life time. I know I got a PS 14 instead of 15 because of just 1 very simple mistake, and a BS 13 instead of 14 because I got an orgo-heavy test (my strength is in bio). I don't think there's any real difference among 13/14/15 in sciences, or 12/13/14/15 in verbal. Honestly, I question your motivation to study medicine if you retake MCAT with a score as high as Mdub's. Why don't you use your precious time to volunteer to help patients, or do research to find new cures?

I didn't have to reply to this thread, but I really want to argue for what's right, and urge those talented young to not waste their life ...

The scores on this thread are insane.

My results:

11P 11V 12B for a 34R

Practice tests (all AAMC-in order) ranged from a diagnostic of 28 (AAMC3)to a high of 35(AAMC9), with an average of about 33.

PS and BS sections ranged from 8-13. Verbal ranged from 10-13, with a whole lot of 10's.

Do any of you plan to give/sell away your 2010 TPR/TBR books?

I am very tight on money, especially due to unexpected circumstances that happened over Memorial Day Weekend; however, I am willing to negotiate a reasonable price for your books. Pm me ASAP.

Well, I couldn't have time to retake as I have kids and a full-time job. I'm sure that if I retake I can get a higher score, but I'm also sure that's a stupid waste of my life time. I know I got a PS 14 instead of 15 because of just 1 very simple mistake, and a BS 13 instead of 14 because I got an orgo-heavy test (my strength is in bio). I don't think there's any real difference among 13/14/15 in sciences, or 12/13/14/15 in verbal. Honestly, I question your motivation to study medicine if you retake MCAT with a score as high as Mdub's. Why don't you use your precious time to volunteer to help patients, or do research to find new cures?

I didn't have to reply to this thread, but I really want to argue for what's right, and urge those talented young to not waste their life ...

Okay, this is going a bit too far. The reason I doubted him is because he originally said his score was unbalanced 15 11 14. He felt he could do better on verbal and rightfully so. It might seem petty, however to me it shows a want of perfection which is something all physicians should aspire to. He obviously likes maximizing his ability and he did.

Finally, I think MCAT should almost be required twice because contrary to what people say, some tests are easier. You see a kid take it in January and get a 32 and retake in May and get a 39. Are they more prepared, perhaps, however, we all have our most ideal test and MDub proved he knows his schit. Well done man.

Members don't see this ad :)

Shopped.

Wow, man, I've never even seen a 15 on VR before! That's amazing!

Yeah, tell me about it. I really don't know how that worked out. Over the course of four months of studying I spent no more than 3 hours on VR, and I was averaging 11-12 on all of my practice exams. The curve is so steep I never would've expected a 15. It's a self-admitted fluke.

Yeah, tell me about it. I really don't know how that worked out. Over the course of four months of studying I spent no more than 3 hours on VR, and I was averaging 11-12 on all of my practice exams. The curve is so steep I never would've expected a 15. It's a self-admitted fluke.

I'm still amazed. That's just pure talent, good work man!

Does it look bad on your application that you took the MCAT 3x. I did improved from the last test from a 22 to a 25. It's not that much improvement but I'm working extra harder to get the magic 30.

Does it look bad on your application that you took the MCAT 3x. I did improved from the last test from a 22 to a 25. It's not that much improvement but I'm working extra harder to get the magic 30.

I think the AAMC flat-out states that it's strongly not recommended to take the MCAT more than twice. Your third score should probably demonstrate some major improvement though...

What does AAMC care as long as they get their money. I took the mcat twice, got a 26 then 27 back in 2008. I did get interviews and a waitlist on these scores, but that was a common question during interviews..."your gpa is great, but what happened to your mcats?"

This year, I gave myself a goal, a finite number to reach, studied hard on my weak areas and got a 36 (12 verbal, 11 PS, and 13 BS).

The point is, if you have it in you to keep trying, then don't give up. Also, don't rush into the July administration just so you can apply this cycle. It is better to wait until next year, figure out exactly what you need to do to raise the score (prep course maybe), than to not make a large improvement.

It seriously is, man!

And :laugh: I admire your honesty, or your modesty, whichever it is. I would have said the same thing if I got that score. I was averaging an 11 on verbals in the practice tests and that's what I got.

From a 6/17-er....

Many of your scores are quite amazing! I am having the opposite problem as most people, as I have a very strong verbal skill but am stuck getting just 10s in the sciences. How did you spend the last two weeks preparing? I plan on finishing the last 5 AAMCs and doing other practice problems...

From a 6/17-er....

Many of your scores are quite amazing! I am having the opposite problem as most people, as I have a very strong verbal skill but am stuck getting just 10s in the sciences. How did you spend the last two weeks preparing? I plan on finishing the last 5 AAMCs and doing other practice problems...

I would recommend reviewing the science material as much as possible. I think the EK material is well-suited to do this, so I would recommend that. Start with your weakest areas and work your way through as much as you can in the given time.

From a 6/17-er....

I'd take a look at your AAMC score breakdowns--are there particular areas tripping you up? (solution chemistry, say, or nervous and endocrine systems.) Then review those topics in depth. (It really helps me to use more than one source, so it might be good to do a TBR passage, for instance, and then re-read corresponding textbook chapters.) When you get down to specific topics like this you can cram a lot in over the last few days, and it's easier to stay focused on those little things that might save a point here or there than to get bogged down thinking about the enormity of it all.

Thanks! Keep looking and you'll find some people that scored even higher than I did!

Secondly, check out the 30+ score thread stickied at the top of the page. I responded there, and so did ColeontheRoll and possible some others.

July '08:

PS - 8
VR - 9
BS - 11
O

May '10:

PS - 12
VR - 10
BS- 14
N

I was in shock for about an hour after I saw my score lol but happy doesn't begin to describe it... I hope for a much more successful application cycle this time around :)

I *really* appreciate the input from everyone. I'm totally non-trad and have a full time, 100K/year gig. I'm doing school at night and did the MCAT while I had 14 hrs of courses and work. I'm spending 2 nights a week at the free clinic seeing homeless patients and taking a nursing assistant class at night in June. Glad to hear that I can maybe cut myself some slack... Although I'd love to go to Washington University and that may still require a retake. I'm so torn over this whole thing today!

CONGRATS to everyone for just surviving it btw. :thumbup:

Dude, I think you are way too non-traditional for WashU and a retake is definitely not worth it. You previous MCAT score will be available to all adcoms which will lower your higher re-take score (if you get one) anyway. It is not recommended at all to retake an MCAT unless, you were sick, got all confused and skipped questions, etc. Most likely, you will improve a couple of points in some sections but go lower or stayed the same in another.

July '08:

PS - 8
VR - 9
BS - 11
O

May '10:

PS - 12
VR - 10
BS- 14
N

I was in shock for about an hour after I saw my score lol but happy doesn't begin to describe it... I hope for a much more successful application cycle this time around :)

THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY! YAY, RuSkaya! :clap:

July '08:

PS - 8
VR - 9
BS - 11
O

May '10:

PS - 12
VR - 10
BS- 14
N

:thumbup: :clap:

I did not get the score that i want so i am thinking retaking it on Aug. would it be too late to apply on sep? I do not want to be too late for applying.
Please let me know if its okai to apply on aug.

thanks

You can, however schools will either look at your app now with your current score or wait until the new score comes in. Applying now with a future exam might be worse than applying later because schools may look at the app now and think, 'even a 4 point increase won't help, so lets just deny'. Then again I'm not an adcom, so whats really good?

I did not get the score that i want so i am thinking retaking it on Aug. would it be too late to apply on sep? I do not want to be too late for applying.
Please let me know if its okai to apply on aug.

thanks

Anecdotally, a girl I know didn't take the MCAT until August and still got accepted to one or two state schools. I have no idea what kind of student she was, but it is possible depending on your circumstances.