The Official 5/1/2010 MCAT Club...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaSpectacular

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let the games begin...

Members don't see this ad.

No. They say don't retake with a 30 and the stats for getting in with a 4.0 and 30O are really good.

Ultimately it depends on EC's and where you want to go. If you want to go to Harvard... then a retake might be good. But for the average person, no. Not unless you have 0 EC's.

I *really* appreciate the input from everyone. I'm totally non-trad and have a full time, 100K/year gig. I'm doing school at night and did the MCAT while I had 14 hrs of courses and work. I'm spending 2 nights a week at the free clinic seeing homeless patients and taking a nursing assistant class at night in June. Glad to hear that I can maybe cut myself some slack... Although I'd love to go to Washington University and that may still require a retake. I'm so torn over this whole thing today!

CONGRATS to everyone for just surviving it btw. :thumbup:

Im pretty upset right now. 22N in July 09 and 25N May 1st. I guess I made a smart move signing up for the July 16th retake. Now I dont even know if I want to retake, called NYCOM and they said that they dont accept anything lower than a 27 (really knows how to slam it even more). I have a cum gpa of 3.31, been working 2 years as a respiratory therapist, no research experience. I know that there are ppl who got accepted with a 25, but with a 3.31 gpa I really dont know what's my chance.

33.........ugh. I was hoping for a 35+ and I was going to retake anything less, but the thought of studying over summer makes me want to throw up.

I'm sort of in the same situation as you. What is your GPA? I wouldn't retake unless you were lacking in that department.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who met and exceeded their goals!!!!

I did better than I thought, between 30-35. I am very happy with it.

Wow, I'm so pleased!

PS: 14
VR: 13
BS: 14
WS: O

41O! ExamKrackers I owe you an unborn child :)

Wow, I'm so pleased!

VR: 13
BS: 14
WS: O

41O! ExamKrackers I owe you an unborn child :)

Looking at your post history, you claimed you scored 40N the last time you wrote it (which was in this calendar year). Why would you possibly write again given you said you scored a 40N? At 40, nearly every school wouldn't regard your relatively low writing sample score. Just curious...

Looking at your post history, you claimed you scored 40N the last time you wrote it (which was in this calendar year). Why would you possibly write again given you said you scored a 40N? At 40, nearly every school wouldn't regard your relatively low writing sample score. Just curious...

This is why you should take half these score's with a grain of salt;)

Now you mentioned that, I feel abused.
I only have heard Orsay himself posts in forums to promote his products as a rumour. Possibly this is him?!:eek:

With my 27 (PS10/VR8/BS9) should I be looking at DO schools now?

Stats.
3.23cGPA, 3.48 sGPA, Texas residence. 3 years research, 50 hours shadowing in the ER
BA: physics '07
BS: biology '08
MS: biology '09

Members don't see this ad :)
Now you mentioned that, I feel abused.
I only have heard Orsay himself posts in forums to promote his products as a rumour. Possibly this is him?!:eek:

Well, I would say is that individuals whom seek to practice medicine as a profession should have strong ethical foundations. Misleading people about your score may be indicative of a larger character fault. Now, if only ADCOMs had access to our internet histories, I would imagine a lot of these bogus scores postings would disappear lol.

Of course, there is the possibility that a user may be a plant for an exam prep company but I won't speculate on that.

Bottom line, I just want some honesty. Clarification would be nice but I don't expect it.

You can usually tell from post history and such if a score is bogus or not. That's how I did it when I read the threads, but agreed with the above that you should take each score with a bag of salt.

-LIS

Devastated.

PS:12
BS: 12
V: 7

31 Q

Verbal was always weak for me, but I was doing ok the last two weeks going into the mcat. Maybe the stressful physical section threw me off? I have to re-take, but have no idea where I'm going to find the energy. I feel emotionally exhausted and drained from the mcat. In bed now, and hopefully will just sleep it off for the next 15 hours. night.

After long hours of disappointment and 2 past failures, I'm going to give this test a 3rd try. Failure is the mother of success, should not give up this easily. I'm going to remain positive and study harder for the next 1.5 mo, between 36 hours of night-shift work each week I'm dedicating all my time to this test.
Any suggestions from the ppl who got 30+ would be greatly appreciated, for now I'm studying from EK 1001, Kaplan books and Berkeley practice tests.:)

Well, I would say is that individuals whom seek to practice medicine as a profession should have strong ethical foundations. Misleading people about your score may be indicative of a larger character fault. Now, if only ADCOMs had access to our internet histories, I would imagine a lot of these bogus scores postings would disappear lol.

Of course, there is the possibility that a user may be a plant for an exam prep company but I won't speculate on that.

Bottom line, I just want some honesty. Clarification would be nice but I don't expect it.

You can usually tell from post history and such if a score is bogus or not. That's how I did it when I read the threads, but agreed with the above that you should take each score with a bag of salt.

-LIS

I agree his old posts give him away, I looked one up:

How is babby formed? How girl get pragnent?
They need to do way instain mother who kill their babbys becuase these babby cannot frigth back? ? it was on the news this mroing a mother in ar who had kill her three kids . they are taking the three babby back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots

This is why you should take half these score's with a grain of salt;)

I didn't make it up. I scored a 40N on January 30, and decided to study again because I'd gotten an 11 in VR and hadn't studied for the VR section. I knew that it was a great score, but decided that I would study the VR hard for a couple months and see if I could raise my practice scores and make my score a bit more balanced. So I spent two months doing all of the VR practice tests from EK 101 passages book, and when I was scoring high on practice tests, I decided to retake the exam and felt good about it so I decided not to void. The "N" wasn't a factor at all in the retake.

I didn't make it up. I scored a 40N on January 30, and decided to study again because I'd gotten an 11 in VR and hadn't studied for the VR section. I knew that it was a great score, but decided that I would study the VR hard for a couple months and see if I could raise my practice scores and make my score a bit more balanced. So I spent two months doing all of the VR practice tests from EK 101 passages book, and when I was scoring high on practice tests, I decided to retake the exam and felt good about it so I decided not to void. The "N" wasn't a factor at all in the retake.

So you retook because you got an 11 on verbal? Are you kidding me?! I'm officially calling B.S. now.

So he got a 1 point increase but a more balanced score. Sorry to say this but getting a 10 or over on all the sections is considered pretty balanced. True or not he doesn't have to explain anything to us, more to Adcoms on why he took it twice for just a 1 point increase and no REAL improvement. There's no such thing as an unbalanced 40, just saying.

-LIS

Troll!
:troll:

Lol, I hope you mean MDub1 and not me.

When I looked at his history I went ":wtf:". IMO, it is better to out users like this than to have them persist as a trusted users of the broader SDN community. You just know with a purported score of 40+, people were going to ask him for advice.

WHEEEEEWWW!!
Lower than practice test scores but I don't have to retake!! Given how poorly I thought it went, I am on cloud 9 right now. YAAAAAY!
PS: 13 BS and V: 12 Writing: T == 37T

Praise the MCAT deities!

Congrats on the high scores.

For those who are done taking the MCAT:

Do any of you plan to give/sell away your 2010 TPR/TBR books?

I am very tight on money, especially due to unexpected circumstances that happened over Memorial Weekend; however, I am willing to negotiate a reasonable price for your books. Pm me.

Thoughts I Mdub:

Could be true, there are lots of high scores. It also may not be true. Conclusion? who cares.

I will listen to people like LIS or Geekchick, who've I've seen around rather than a person who gives a few unsolicited EK recommendations. LIS's advice is great, he says what he thinks is horrible, what is good, and he basically used it all. Just hearing, "EK is awesome" tells me nothing, and I also own EK and know it is good but not great, there is much better material out there with TBR and TPR (except EK101 of course).

Strong science background and great test taking skills can use any prep company and do well.

So if he got the score or not, who cares.

I dont care who scores well and uses what corresponding test prep program. I used ExamKrackers because my university prep course used them for the materials. I also purchased the Audio Osmosis CDs because I had an hour commute to classes/work in the spring semester so I was driving ~14 hours per week. While they weren't the most detailed, it was a good refresh of general concepts and formulas.

I ended up buying both sets for 40% off from Borders, so it was a pretty limited cost. 29Q was my score as of today and I WILL GET ACCEPTED!

Yay, first time posting. Pretty happy with the results, as this was my first time taking it...haha was really nervous. Congratulations to those that improved and/or got great results on the MCAT, and to everyone in general for pulling through with the May 1st exam!

BS: 13
VR: 10

Writing Sample: R

37R

Last edited:
i like ur q! lol
Ha, me too. I wrote what I thought were some darn good essays for the first two tests. On the may 1st test, I really didn't stress about the essays (or try incredibly hard), but alas, the Q is tacked on again.

After long hours of disappointment and 2 past failures, I'm going to give this test a 3rd try. Failure is the mother of success, should not give up this easily. I'm going to remain positive and study harder for the next 1.5 mo, between 36 hours of night-shift work each week I'm dedicating all my time to this test.
Any suggestions from the ppl who got 30+ would be greatly appreciated, for now I'm studying from EK 1001, Kaplan books and Berkeley practice tests.:)
Don't worry too much. I went from a 26 to a 27 to a 36. For the 36, I pulled out all stops - studied about 2-3 hours per night, 6 days/week (I work 40 hour weeks, plus ~1.5 hours commuting) and took 3 practice tests. I did take a Kaplan review course, not for content review, but more for learning how to take the test, and to have access to a large question bank.

Just keep at it and work hard. Also, find you weak spots and focus on them intensely.

hey everybody...congrats on all the scores!

I got a 35P (13phy/8verb/14bio)

my practice verb avg (all the AAMC) was 11
I'm really happy with the score and don't plan on retaking...I just wanted to know if the 8 is going to come up in interviews or hurt my chances at some schools?

I'm sort of in the same situation as you. What is your GPA? I wouldn't retake unless you were lacking in that department.

My gpa is average (about a 3.7cgpa/3.5sgpa). My goal isn't for Harvard or Hopkins or whatever, but I really want to go to my state school, which is ranked pretty well (which is great if I get in, not so much when competing against other applicants). My stats just make me average for the school, and I hoped for a stronger mcat to stand out. Oh well.

I decided against a retake. My scores weren't significantly lower than my practice average, I hit double digits on all the sections, and there is no way I will find the motivation to look at those books again over summer. I guess I'll just go with what I have and if that's not good enough, well, there's always the neighborhood Taco Bell.

My gpa is average (about a 3.7cgpa/3.5sgpa). My goal isn't for Harvard or Hopkins or whatever, but I really want to go to my state school, which is ranked pretty well (which is great if I get in, not so much when competing against other applicants). My stats just make me average for the school, and I hoped for a stronger mcat to stand out. Oh well.

I decided against a retake. My scores weren't significantly lower than my practice average, I hit double digits on all the sections, and there is no way I will find the motivation to look at those books again over summer. I guess I'll just go with what I have and if that's not good enough, well, there's always the neighborhood Taco Bell.

not even halfway funny...33 and 3.7 you're fine! Work hard on PS and finish up solid ECs and you'll be a great applicant!!!

13 PS, 15 VR, 13 BS, S = 41S

What a PLEASANT surprise!
Wow, really great job on the VR. Maybe you want to make a thread or 30+ post really emphasizing that since we haven't seen a great VR score in AGES. Also, were composite score twins, even though you got a better writing score.

Just a suggestion and congrats,

-LIS

Wow, really great job on the VR. Maybe you want to make a thread or 30+ post really emphasizing that since we haven't seen a great VR score in AGES. Also, were composite score twins, even though you got a better writing score.

Just a suggestion and congrats,

-LIS

Yeah, I have no idea where that VR came from. I was scoring 11-12 on the practice exams. If I got a 15 on any section, VR was going to be the last thing I expected to get a 15 on.

When I first saw my scores, I was just in shock. I was hoping for a 36-38, which is what my averages were. Above a 40 though? :eek: :wow:

I'm sorry if I upset anyone by what I said. I used ExamKrackers for my preparation and really liked it, sorry if it came across as unsolicited advice. I had my reasons for taking it again and it wasn't because I was dissatisfied with my score. I had a very similar situation in high school with the ACT and because I retook a good score I was able to get a good scholarship. I just wanted to make sure I'd gotten the highest score I could. I'm happy for all of you that did well and hope those that fell short have better luck in the near future. The best of luck to all of you in this application cycle :).

I'm sorry if I upset anyone by what I said. I used ExamKrackers for my preparation and really liked it, sorry if it came across as unsolicited advice. I had my reasons for taking it again and it wasn't because I was dissatisfied with my score. I had a very similar situation in high school with the ACT and because I retook a good score I was able to get a good scholarship. I just wanted to make sure I'd gotten the highest score I could. I'm happy for all of you that did well and hope those that fell short have better luck in the near future. The best of luck to all of you in this application cycle :).

ACT, yes, MCAT no. You got 99.6 supposedly the first time. You retook for a more balanced score? Prove it, like this guy: http://s593.photobucket.com/albums/tt17/jasonliu822/?action=view&current=Capture.jpg

Your explanation is incredulous. No one smart enough to get a 40 would retake due a lack of balance.

There you go. I didn't retake it because of a lack of balance, I just hadn't studied verbal as hard as I could have and wanted to make sure I'd done my best. Going in to the MCAT I didn't care if my score was a 25 or a 45, I just wanted to make sure I'd given it my all and done the very best I could. That's why I retook, so that I'd always know I'd given it everything. I'm sorry I caused so much contention, good luck to everyone here!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 501

I guess tis truth