The Official April 2016 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
April Fool's you're taking the MCAT! Worst prank ever?! No really, as a serial delayer, I absolutely must take this thing on this day before application submissions this upcoming cycle in 2016. So I thought I would go ahead and start the official thread. Never to early to start an official support/study group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I dunno. The AAMC outline seems to just list everything that MIGHT be on the test. It won't hurt, but i'd rather build a solid, inclusive core. From what i've noticed, test prep materials (atleast the good ones) go by what's on the outline anyway.

Has anyone thought of starting studying with the AAMC outlines for each section? I'm considering this is a good starting point, but curious if anyone has tried this or any suggestions/ideas how to use the outlines.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I printed it out and used it as a sort of checklist as I went along in content review. I would suggest to myself and to others that as you go along, ask yourself "How does this bullet point relate to biochemistry?" for both C/P and B/B. For P/S I would ask, "what kind of research study or graph might incorporate this bullet point?".

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone thought of starting studying with the AAMC outlines for each section? I'm considering this is a good starting point, but curious if anyone has tried this or any suggestions/ideas how to use the outlines.
This was incredibly, incredibly helpful on my test day (Aug 2015: 127/126/129/128 510). Take note of those random topics in the bio section, like gchem topic just showing up in the outline seemingly randomly. I'll say that I'm really, really glad I didn't ignore them. I made sure I had hit every topic. There may have been an entire passage on something that got only two lines of text. It was also in one of those "deemphasized" areas of the MCAT (e.g. Physics or Ochem).:poke: Sorry for not being more specific, AAMC has those rules, you know. Anyway: you cannot roll the dice on this exam, there are no shortcuts.

Good luck, guys. This test really tests your commitment to the field of medicine. Keep your eyes on the prize. And, having took the MCAT 3 times (2 old, 1 new), for the love of God, do not take the test until you are ready. Do not fall into the trap of, "omg I just need to take it and move on with my life." ... no. No you don't. You need to study well, and efficiently. That last sentence is key: studying hard is not going to be helpful. Studying well will be. I tried the shortcuts, there are none. I ended up studying for 4-5 months instead of just two, scored in the 83rd percentile, and with being accepted to medical school last week, I'd say all that sacrifice was worth it. I also have 4 interviews. I am humbled, since although my application was submitted in June, it wasn't technically complete until Sep because of my pending MCAT. i wanted to take it earlier, but the beast of the new exam made it so I had to study longer. there's just so much material.

Anyway, stay focused, take it when you're ready, and you will earn it! Promise :kiss:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did passages/content from a set of books, and looked at the outline at the end to make sure I covered all the topics (especially for psych and soc)

Last edited:
Is anyone taking a course? TPR/Kaplan? I am considering doing TPR, but I just really don't know if its worth the money since it seems from reviews that they haven't modified very well for the new exam...I just like the idea of having a teacher to bounce questions off. My physics series didn't prepare me very well for the MCAT, I'm afraid..

Joining you guys after a fail of a 499 last May :/ Im thinking about doing mcatjelly's schedule since I have EK and Kaplan books

hopping back in here after being away for a while!

I am taking April 1st. I voted in the poll for weekly passage question review. This is the only way group study will be beneficial... if we can do the same set of passages and them come together to talk over them that would be incredibly useful.

I am in the process of creating my study schedule and if anyone is taking the April 1st exam and wants to review passages together PM me!

Let's rock this thing guys! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone happen to know if there's a huge difference between the content in EK 7th edition and 9th outside of the psych/soc section?

hopping back in here after being away for a while!

I am taking April 1st. I voted in the poll for weekly passage question review. This is the only way group study will be beneficial... if we can do the same set of passages and them come together to talk over them that would be incredibly useful.

I am in the process of creating my study schedule and if anyone is taking the April 1st exam and wants to review passages together PM me!

Let's rock this thing guys! :)
i'd be interested in doing passages as a group as well! maybe someone could set this up in the study group :) not too sure how to go about it cause i'm not sure what study materials everyone has!

Does anyone happen to know if there's a huge difference between the content in EK 7th edition and 9th outside of the psych/soc section?

it's pretty much said around SDN for awhile now. It is better to get the prep book for the new mcat format. Yes, you can use the older version to study. However, the information in the older version might not be the one that you are looking for sometimes. But, it's still better idea to get the newer book to study especially with EK.

I can tell you the difference between the 8th and the 9th. In the 9th edition, the in-chapter questions and the 30 minute exams focus more on data analysis/graph interpretation/research analysis etc.

it's pretty much said around SDN for awhile now. It is better to get the prep book for the new mcat format. Yes, you can use the older version to study. However, the information in the older version might not be the one that you are looking for sometimes. But, it's still better idea to get the newer book to study especially with EK.
Thanks. I was able to get a hold of the old one for free and I just bought the new one.

I can tell you the difference between the 8th and the 9th. In the 9th edition, the in-chapter questions and the 30 minute exams focus more on data analysis/graph interpretation/research analysis etc.
Thanks, that's good to know. Looking forward to checking it out :D:D

Hey guys, I think I'll be defecting from the January 2016 MCAT and joining y'all! I'm currently working full time and taking TPR Ultimate LiveOnline (3 hours/day after work), so unfortunately I'm already extremely behind on all of the homework and passage problems we're supposed to be doing. :oops:

My new plan is to finish content review by the end of December (when class ends), and spend the last half of December and the first half of January completing all of the Anki cards and homework. Then during my spring semester, I'll aim for doing passages 1 hr/day every day along and keeping up with Anki (usually another 1 hr). Although signing up for the January 2016 MCAT kicked me into high gear for studying, I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I'm so much less stressed about not being prepared in time.

As for switching dates – do you think I should reschedule now (only one center left open) and possibly reschedule again if something closer pops up, or take my chances and wait it out?

I'm also taking the exam April 1st!! I'm working full time (45+ hrs/week) and am worried I won't have enough time to study. I've already started reviewing, but then had a bit of a lapse when it got extremely busy at work, but am back at it!! I'll be using Kaplan, EK and as many FLs as I can get. Good Luck everyone! :)

I'm also taking the exam April 1st!! I'm working full time (45+ hrs/week) and am worried I won't have enough time to study. I've already started reviewing, but then had a bit of a lapse when it got extremely busy at work, but am back at it!! I'll be using Kaplan, EK and as many FLs as I can get. Good Luck everyone! :)

I'm also currently working full time! I try to study at least 1 hour a night in addition to my 3 hour class. Making and reviewing flash cards has been really helpful, though – you can bring flashcards anywhere and study them in your free time! Good luck to you too :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Non-trad joining this thread (April 23 test date). I will start studying after the term ends. All the best Everyone!

Joining this thread, April 23rd test date. MCAT here I come :soexcited:. I have been studying since the summer with light content review. I am taking biochemistry I currently, and will study hardcore in the winter break. Content Review should be done by the middle of winter break which will leave me about 3+ months of real practice

I ordered the new TBR books minus verbal last week. Hoping to get them in the next couple of weeks. For the time being I'll be going through the outline and making Anki cards.

Retaking a 503 (127/123!/126/127) from August. Using EK, reading each chapter with notes, then all the TBR passages for each corresponding chapter. 3-4 verbal a day cycling with EK 101 and TPRH. Will take first practice test in Mid January.

originally was going to retake in January but school got in the way.

Anyone know about other verbal practice besides AAMC Q Pack? Did anyone purchase the Next Step verbal book?

Retaking a 503 (127/123!/126/127) from August. Using EK, reading each chapter with notes, then all the TBR passages for each corresponding chapter. 3-4 verbal a day cycling with EK 101 and TPRH. Will take first practice test in Mid January.

Anyone know about other verbal practice besides AAMC Q Pack? Did anyone purchase the Next Step verbal book?

Hey welcome! Just wondering what prep books/practice did you use and if you like them?

@Excision what payment method did you use on the TBR site? I'm nervous/confused about the process, their website is so strange.
Do they have online ordering now? Or still the mail in order? I was wondering if they sell any of their books in person.. flights to SF cost like $15 lol

@PenguinPal they do have online ordering, it seems...though I'm not sure how fast it is. I've been reading on SDN that people are waiting a very long time to even hear back from them after ordering online. I wish I could go buy them in person!

EDIT: I think I was wrong about this after just checking out their website...it looks like you print the order form and set it in. Though, to be honest, the whole ordering system from them is confusing to me.

Some interesting viewpoints from a high school student who was 1 of 16 people to achieve the maximum score in South Korea's national college exam this year:

"I didn't start preparing for the test until winter break of my sophomore year. I joined study groups with my friends and focused on class lectures. I didn't take any extra after school classes. This allowed me to approach problems from a variety of different perspectives and angles, and having to teach my friends forced me into better understanding the concepts I was learning."

"When I got practice problems wrong, I was grateful that I got them wrong because it helped me find my problem areas. I didn't get stressed over the problems I got wrong and tried to keep a positive mindset."

"This test is something that you have to take anyway so I figured that even if it's hard, I'd rather give it my best if I have to do it at all so that I don't have regrets afterwards. It's important to stay positive and not let yourself think that 'this problem probably won't be on the test' and skip over it. Make sure you study as much variety as possible."

"My parents didn't force me to study and always trusted and watched over me. They advised me to study as much as I could but never fall into misery no matter how hard it got. I'm grateful for the suffering they went through for me and I know that this is just the beginning, so I will be studying even harder."

"I haven't chosen a career path yet but I will be majoring in natural science and enjoy subjects in engineering and medical studies. I want a job that can help others."

I wish I had such a good, optimistic mindset. :arghh:

i ordered the TBR books (bio, orgo & psych for now until the other new ones come out) if anyone has any questions about ordering i can maybe answer. i'm also a retaker (505), used kaplan last time, using TBR this time around!

@Excision what payment method did you use on the TBR site? I'm nervous/confused about the process, their website is so strange.

Ok. So I'm having to retake the exam. I took the old version and as a result have the older books as well.

The first time I used a USPS money order for the calculated amount. This is the way to go if you're worried about sending money through the mail, as it is replaceable, and isn't your primary payment information. This time I just used my debit card info, as it is expiring soon and I'll have to get a new one anyway. And I really didn't want to send a check, or go to the post office.

Also don't forget to include the estimated shipping amount in your total. They have a PDF on their site with the breakdown of estimated shipping charges based on your order.

Do they have online ordering now? Or still the mail in order? I was wondering if they sell any of their books in person.. flights to SF cost like $15 lol

No. The only option I saw was mail order.

A bonus: I dropped the order in the mail a couple days before Thanksgiving and my books arrived today. Very happy with the turn around.

I'm pretty much in my last week of just content review, feels good to be finishing these prep books; even though I'll most likely reread sections or at least reference them later.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you have taken MCAT 2015 courses? I'm thinking of taking TPR 123-hour course in person but I'm not too familiar with it or any courses geared towards the new MCAT. Thanks!

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you have taken MCAT 2015 courses? I'm thinking of taking TPR 123-hour course in person but I'm not too familiar with it or any courses geared towards the new MCAT. I plan on taking the exam on April 23. Thanks!

@dianarita I signed up for the TPR LiveOnline course. May switch to the in person one. I am planning on self-studying too...but wanted to do everything possible to get a good score!

Has anyone used the newly released AAMC MCAT section banks?

I have. They were hard and convoluted, moreso than any other AAMC released stuff, and I've done them all. I have to say though, only a handful of information from it hit me from the left after I reviewed. It's mostly comprehension skills utilizing a bit of background knowledge. Both bio and the physical section are HEAVY in biochem.

I have. They were hard and convoluted, moreso than any other AAMC released stuff, and I've done them all. I have to say though, only a handful of information from it hit me from the left after I reviewed. It's mostly comprehension skills utilizing a bit of background knowledge. Both bio and the physical section are HEAVY in biochem.
WOW! You weren't kidding. These passages and even the the discretes are incredibly difficult and biochem heavy!

WOW! You weren't kidding. These passages and even the the discretes are incredibly difficult and biochem heavy!

I have a slightly different take on the new AAMC exam. I thought it was very representative of what I was expecting and what I've been teaching my students. It seemed to sync up more with what I felt the real exam was like, whereas before most students agreed that the real thing was harder than the first unscored AAMC sample test. It contains more of the challenging "real experiments from peer-reviewed journal" passage types with challenging critical thinking questions. I think the real MCAT-2015 you're likely to see on test day is closer to these passages and question types, some of the more challenging questions from the Official Guide, and what you've likely heard from real test takers. In other words, visualize and prepare for this latest AAMC exam, not the unscored sample exam.

I made a list of all of the PRIOR SCIENCE KNOWLEDGE you need to answer every question on the new AAMC exam. If I read it out loud to you, no one could argue that it wasn't very close to a "Top Ten" list of the most basic science topics taught in these prereq classes. Sure, there were a couple of more obscure items, but they were the exception, and that's always been AAMC. They mostly test VERY BASIC SCIENCE via a challenging CRITICAL THINKING style and then throw in a few esoteric knowledge questions that help differentiate the curve.

Some students seem discouraged, but there's no need. I am ECSTATIC to see it be a bit harder. I was afraid that the uscored AAMC sample exam was easier than the real thing before any of my students took the real exam, then that was supported by their feedback. It is much better to KNOW that this is the level of challenge and prepare for it accordingly than to be surprised on test day!

Are you saying you plan to take the official AAMC practice test just released in mid January? I would save that to closer to the end. Maybe you just meant your first overall practice exam?

The company I work for MIGHT have 10 Full-Length exams available a la carte that all include full-length CAR sections. I believe I am kosher to say that because you specifically asked for more available CAR practice and I was told we could answer specific questions about our products--I normally pretend we don't have any products and just answer questions! I won't say they are good or accurate or anything, just decide for yourself.

Whatever you use, the key to CAR is being able to pick up on the main idea, the tone, the rhetorical structure (arguments, rhetorical device, etc.), the author's opinions/stance, and the most salient points made by the author, all CLEARLY and COMFORTABLY within a short amount of time. Almost all of my 1-on-1 students, and 100% of those that struggle with CAR, are simply unable to READ this kind of literature in the 500-650 word range within the time allotted and gain that type of information. As long as I have taught them what to look for, they can do those same tasks VERY well if given unlimited time. I often have students practice a few passages under unlimited time to show them that once they apply the Altius strategies it is mainly the speed at which they can read AND comprehend that is holding them back. Given 12 minutes/passage they do quite well. Doing it in 4 minutes is what kills them. That is why I have all my students do CAR drills over and over to gradually increase both reading speed and the speed at which they process/acquire/comprehend this type of literature.

Are you saying you plan to take the official AAMC practice test just released in mid January? I would save that to closer to the end. Maybe you just meant your first overall practice exam?

The company I work for MIGHT have 10 Full-Length exams available a la carte that all include full-length CAR sections. I believe I am kosher to say that because you specifically asked for more available CAR practice and I was told we could answer specific questions about our products--I normally pretend we don't have any products and just answer questions! I won't say they are good or accurate or anything, just decide for yourself.

Whatever you use, the key to CAR is being able to pick up on the main idea, the tone, the rhetorical structure (arguments, rhetorical device, etc.), the author's opinions/stance, and the most salient points made by the author, all CLEARLY and COMFORTABLY within a short amount of time. Almost all of my 1-on-1 students, and 100% of those that struggle with CAR, are simply unable to READ this kind of literature in the 500-650 word range within the time allotted and gain that type of information. As long as I have taught them what to look for, they can do those same tasks VERY well if given unlimited time. I often have students practice a few passages under unlimited time to show them that once they apply the Altius strategies it is mainly the speed at which they can read AND comprehend that is holding them back. Given 12 minutes/passage they do quite well. Doing it in 4 minutes is what kills them. That is why I have all my students do CAR drills over and over to gradually increase both reading speed and the speed at which they process/acquire/comprehend this type of literature.

Hello Altius Tutor,

Could u elaborate on the Altius strategies for CARS ? How different is ur strategy to other companies or private tutors? what is it that you are claiming since many claim the same ! though I agree that it takes a lot of practice and repetition to master all the strategies.

Last edited:
Hi Altius Tutor,

Have you ever written an edition of MCAT2015? If so what is the main difference between the old and new MCAT?

Anyone working through TBR, i am starting on it soon, would like to see if anyone wants to join in and work on a schedule and hold each other accountable. Likely test date : april 23rd.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone working through TBR, i am starting on it soon, would like to see if anyone wants to join in and work on a schedule and hold each other accountable. Likely test date : april 23rd.

I wish I could start TBR, I still have not got the books yet! I will join once I get them! definitely up for holding each other accountable!!