The Official April 2016 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
April Fool's you're taking the MCAT! Worst prank ever?! No really, as a serial delayer, I absolutely must take this thing on this day before application submissions this upcoming cycle in 2016. So I thought I would go ahead and start the official thread. Never to early to start an official support/study group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's up, people!

I hope everyone is doing well, I am the newest member of the April 1st 2016 MCAT club. Got home from school at 11 pm last night, deadline was midnight to drop out of my courses in order to write the MCAT, contemplated the decision until 11:55 pm and then boom. Don't know if I will regret this or not, but hey what's done is done! Anyone writing in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada by any chance?

Orgo is frying my brain people. Is it possible to skip it and still do well. lol i know i know. Wishful thinking

Just got a seat for April 23rd after stalking that website constantly! I am two weeks into my schedule and am already falling behind :bang:

God.... school is killing me... taking a semester course in winter intercession is killing me haha I am just on the 1st week :(

i haven't even registered;/ thinking of may or june but need an early app since my stats are weak

Same. I am trying to get my application in early because of my stats too. But I am not sure if I will be ready by April 23rd. I am way too overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I have to study :|

Sn2ed is slowly killing me. I'm also signed up for TPR online...wondering if it's stupid to just do their program and skip SN2ed (minus doing TBR passages) but the sn2ed program is literally consuming my life and making me doubt my abilities! Any feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sn2ed is slowly killing me. I'm also signed up for TPR online...wondering if it's stupid to just do their program and skip SN2ed (minus doing TBR passages) but the sn2ed program is literally consuming my life and making me doubt my abilities! Any feedback?

If it isn't consuming your life than you're not studying hard enough for the MCAT! Take this seriously...it's only 3 months.

I've been doing S2ned, and yes...it's an ego killer because those TBR passages are hard. Don't worry, after a few weeks you'll just "get it". I also do the TPR online self paced option, but I just ended up using it for the passages, books, practice exams, and their neat study tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just fyi to those trying to register: there are some May 6th MCAT openings for those who can't find a test center near them

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, what is their neat study tool? I also have access to the online TPR

Amplifire maybe? I make my own flashcards but I find that Amplifire questions can help reinforce some concepts or make me think in a different way about them.

@gribear Are you doing anything else (classes, working) right now? I'm only using TPR and I've found it pretty helpful so far. I do all the readings, make flashcards in Anki, and do all the Amplifire modules/passages. I honestly feel like I've been memorizing too much, even with TPR, so I can't even imagine trying to slog through TBR!

I took my 4th FL today and I'm feeling much better about April 1. I still have to do a lot more content review (I'm only mostly through bio), but I'm glad that I can see that my studying is actually working haha.

@gribear Are you doing anything else (classes, working) right now? I'm only using TPR and I've found it pretty helpful so far. I do all the readings, make flashcards in Anki, and do all the Amplifire modules/passages. I honestly feel like I've been memorizing too much, even with TPR, so I can't even imagine trying to slog through TBR!

I am taking Cell Bio and a 1-credit seminar right now, along with volunteering. Slogging...yes! I switched to the self-paced TPR and am going to utilize the online passages + Amplifire + diagnostic + practice tests. I think I'm going to stick with TBR and just supplement it with the TPR stuff!

If it isn't consuming your life than you're not studying hard enough for the MCAT! Take this seriously...it's only 3 months.

I've been doing S2ned, and yes...it's an ego killer because those TBR passages are hard. Don't worry, after a few weeks you'll just "get it". I also do the TPR online self paced option, but I just ended up using it for the passages, books, practice exams, and their neat study tool.

This was exactly what I needed to hear. Just finished the first 10ish days of Sn2 and it was a serious ego killer! I aced my prereqs but this is another ballgame entirely. Gen Chem and Physics are ROUGH!

I have 5-6 question quizzes but it doesn't tell me the right answer. Does that sound right? Because that is the only Amplifire related thing I see.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Those are the Amplifire primer questions. There should be post-class Amplifire questions too below the Before Class material for each subject/class. at least that's what it looks like on the LiveOnline interface. I haven't been switched to self-paced yet so not sure what that looks like.

Reactions: 1 user
Also why are ya switching from LiveOnline to self-paced?

I (stupidly) signed up for a class going until 4/17 when my test date is 4/23. I didn't realize content review would go the entire class! It seemed ridiculous to be doing content review until that close to test date - and there were no other online classes that worked by the time I realized this! So self-paced it is.

I (stupidly) signed up for a class going until 4/17 when my test date is 4/23.
No! Don't switch. I am in the same position as you! The LiveOnline and OnDemand should be the same except for the live lectures available for the first one.

There are already pre-recorded lectures available for the LiveOnline. This way you can drop in the live ones when you have time and do the pre-recorded ones on your own pace, no?

I (stupidly) signed up for a class going until 4/17 when my test date is 4/23. I didn't realize content review would go the entire class! It seemed ridiculous to be doing content review until that close to test date - and there were no other online classes that worked by the time I realized this! So self-paced it is.

Self-paced is hard to do. I tried and could not stay on track. If you don't feel you're getting through the content as quick as you would like by late Feb/early March and you're self-paced, it might be beneficial to push test back to May. There is no harm done just fyi as applications can't be submitted to June anyways.

it might be beneficial to push test back to May. There is no harm done just fyi as applications can't be submitted to June anyways.
My pre-med committee requires our first attempt to be done by April :grumpy: Sounds like some BS to me.

Also, what are your study schedules for the test like? :)

Self-paced is hard to do. I tried and could not stay on track. If you don't feel you're getting through the content as quick as you would like by late Feb/early March and you're self-paced, it might be beneficial to push test back to May. There is no harm done just fyi as applications can't be submitted to June anyways.

I'm mostly doing the SN2ed and am just planning on using TPR to supplement that, I think. Saves $500 and since I'll have pre recorded lectures I can just watch those, plus I've been having no problem staying on track! I'm non-trad and this test is my main focus.

Jeez I hope not. I "actually" started studying this week. I am planning on using TPR + EK + TBR passages
I was gonna follow the schedules, but I decided to do my own. I am like this asian style learner. so I have to read books first, then do questions, then do tests lol
But, school is effing me up hard haha

I was gonna follow the schedules, but I decided to do my own. I am like this asian style learner. so I have to read books first, then do questions, then do tests lol
But, school is effing me up hard haha

Ha! I entirely agree with you on that! I am doing the same thing :p

Are you taking a lot of classes at the same time?

I've been doing content review since late December but recently, I've been slacking. Starting next week (I have a family trip this week), I'm definitely going to crank down!

Ha! I entirely agree with you on that! I am doing the same thing :p

Are you taking a lot of classes at the same time?
I am :(
But it's just one class retaking at a cc. And it is general bio lol
It was good because my professor explained really well so when I saw in the book, I went through pretty fast. But I will be taking two or three courses from February till June. And biochemistry after Mcat for retake lol

Yeah so my goal is to finish content review within two weeks. Re read all books in a week. Do it again in a few days. Then do questions. Then do tests lol

man... how are you guys studying right now? Is it bad I'm actually only on week 1? :(

Personally, I have a few Physics chapters from TPR left to read. After that, I'll be done with content and focusing the next three months or so on grinding out passages and FL's. Gonna start out with Khan and then move through the Qpacks, section bank, TPR FL's, and then the two AAMC FL's the two weekends the test.

Hey guys, my test date is April 23. Just took an official AAMC practice exams but I have no idea how to interpret the results. Does anybody know any way on how to convert or interpret the score data into an official final score?

Voided January 23rd taker here. Anybody planning to take the Altius practice tests? The free one was a bit easy and they're too nice in their estimated score (although I can calculate my own estimates I guess). I have EK,NS, and AAMC FL so far and do plan to retake a few.

What are you all doing for Psych/Soc practice? I've been using KA for their passages and TPR for reviewing content (they have one passage at the end of each chapter). Any other suggestions for Psych/Soc practice?

So you mean by today? :p
Hahaha you caught me :p
I meant February haha
I'm currently aiming to finish by the third week of February after being set back by a week :nailbiting:
Yeah my plan is similar to yours. I plan on finishing content review by second or third week. But I also plan to read the books again for the second time in a week. Then I'm going to focus on TBR problems for a week. Then start on FLs

Sooo.. I just started utilizing the Princeton Review online resources, and I am absolutely bombing their passages. I'm doing MUCH better on TBR passages than the TPR. What gives? Should I be worried? I'm was under the impression that TBR was harder than TPR, so I'm worried that I'm doing so much worse on the princeton review ones. Maybe its the difference between computer and book? Which, if that's the case...does not bode well.

Any ideas? I'm sort of panicking.

Sooo.. I just started utilizing the Princeton Review online resources, and I am absolutely bombing their passages. I'm doing MUCH better on TBR passages than the TPR. What gives? Should I be worried? I'm was under the impression that TBR was harder than TPR, so I'm worried that I'm doing so much worse on the princeton review ones. Maybe its the difference between computer and book? Which, if that's the case...does not bode well.

Any ideas? I'm sort of panicking.

Is it specific to one section or all of them?

Is it specific to one section or all of them?

Well, I just went over the Nervous System/Sensory system stuff in Bio, and did pretty horribly on all of them in Princeton Review (average 50% correct on 8 passages), where as in TBR for the same section, I got ~80% correct.

The discrepancy wasn't as bad for Ochem and Gen Chem, but was still there. I'm just confused if this indicates that I'm actually weak in the area, or that the format of the two resources is different...I felt pretty confident going in , but their passages were very different from TBR.

Well, I just went over the Nervous System/Sensory system stuff in Bio, and did pretty horribly on all of them in Princeton Review (average 50% correct on 8 passages), where as in TBR for the same section, I got ~80% correct.

The discrepancy wasn't as bad for Ochem and Gen Chem, but was still there. I'm just confused if this indicates that I'm actually weak in the area, or that the format of the two resources is different...I felt pretty confident going in , but their passages were very different from TBR.

I haven't done TBR passages, but I have done a lot of TPR passages and they're oddly specific about little facts here and there.