The Official April 2016 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
April Fool's you're taking the MCAT! Worst prank ever?! No really, as a serial delayer, I absolutely must take this thing on this day before application submissions this upcoming cycle in 2016. So I thought I would go ahead and start the official thread. Never to early to start an official support/study group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
There's no way they based it on the experimental section, people who took that didn't study for biochem or p/s. They would basically be comparing it to people who were just guessing on questions

Sorry, they constructed the entire scale based on the first two administrations (don't know why I said previous MCAT): https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...-4aa0-90cb-70184be8c8b8/percentilenewmcat.pdf

So the sample size was smaller and had more fluctuations in it - these percentiles were updated the next year.

The old MCAT did have experimental passages on it for the new MCAT though, and I don't know how they used those results.

Reactions: 1 user
They might. Fast forward the video at 4x speed

My exam proctors were super chilled and were sleeping at times of the exam lol

It's certainly possible, but it would take a very long time to go over all the videos from the testing sites across the continental U.S. Especially given that 1) it's a menial task that nobody wants to do and 2) you achieve the same results by looking at the correlations between seating and responses. If somebody is looking at someone else's screen for answers, then that should be reflected in their own answers. If they're looking and it's not reflected in their answers, then they're just bad cheaters. That's like looking at your neighbor's answer sheet and not using his/her answers - why look to begin with?

They recently updated the percentiles to incorporate takers from April-Sept of 2015, not just April-May of 2015. As a result, the percentiles went up a couple points for a lot of the middle scores. I think what this means is that the earliest takers were relatively a smarter bunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read a post from April of last year talking about the 8.5 week wait for May-April testers, with the release of the prelim. percentiles. Is that the case this year, or just last year due to the new format?

I've tried to keep my mind of wanting to know my score and yet here I am posting on this forum

It's certainly possible, but it would take a very long time to go over all the videos from the testing sites across the continental U.S. Especially given that 1) it's a menial task that nobody wants to do and 2) you achieve the same results by looking at the correlations between seating and responses. If somebody is looking at someone else's screen for answers, then that should be reflected in their own answers. If they're looking and it's not reflected in their answers, then they're just bad cheaters. That's like looking at your neighbor's answer sheet and not using his/her answers - why look to begin with?

The video recordings are also used to see if someone is using their phone or other study materials I bet!

I've tried to keep my mind of wanting to know my score and yet here I am posting on this forum

In a week, the portal will open and we will start talking about the application process lol

For those who took the test, how did EK FLs compare? Specifically EK FL Verbal and what were your scores.

For those who took the test, how did EK FLs compare? Specifically EK FL Verbal and what were your scores.

I would like to know as well

Here, use this correlation:
EKtoREAL.jpeg

For EK FL CARS I felt were more difficult than the real thing. EK does a great job of throwing in answers that are almost right. They also give wrong answers that are good, but not the best choice, so you have to read all choices, even if choice A looks good. I think they do this to teach you techniques of elimination and looking for buzz words such as "most" "always" "sometimes" in the answers choices.
Usually EK is more difficult, but I feel like they ask less questions requiring you to look back at the passage than does AAMC.

i got 60-65% on EK's last time and got a 503. 127/123/126/127. Maybe just a fluke of verbal as I got 80% ish on sample test. August 2015 test btw. I hate being like oh I got a 70% so i must get a 515. I wish haha

I keep thinking back to questions I got wrong but know I should have gotten right. Anyone else doing the same? Hopefully I'll stop thinking about the test soon lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I keep thinking back to questions I got wrong but know I should have gotten right. Anyone else doing the same? Hopefully I'll stop thinking about the test soon lol.

Yes.....it's just torturing yourself. You tend to remember the ones you felt bad about, and forget the ones you actually knew.

This. I want to stop thinking about it!!! Thankfully i start my scribe job today and work 10 of the next 11 days. That should serve as a distraction. Also trying to make progress on my PS. I was unhappy with the last draft! Lets focus on our apps!

I havent even started my PS. I am gonna start once the topic gets posted online May 1st

I keep thinking about the test but I know it's futile.

Last edited:
You're definitely not alone! I bought a couple of books yesterday and it has taken my mind off of it, so you may look into that!

Have any of you all read The Other Side by Kate Granger?? It's a nonfiction story written about herself as a physician and now a cancer patient. I started it yesterday and it is freaking good!

Yeah, its always the same. "Who are you and Why medicine?" basically. There's no real prompt.
Don't underestimate the PS haha it takes a while. Especially if you want it to be reviewed a few times before submitting.

Well I shall start it friday after my finals! Thanks for the heads up guys :);)

You're definitely not alone! I bought a couple of books yesterday and it has taken my mind off of it, so you may look into that!

Have any of you all read The Other Side by Kate Granger?? It's a nonfiction story written about herself as a physician and now a cancer patient. I started it yesterday and it is freaking good!

That sounds like a good story. Gonna look into it once school is over!

So you can start filling out the application on May 1st though? For some reason I was thinking it was June. Or is June 1st when you can first submit it?

The application opens up May 1st and you can submit June 7th IIRC

Ok not to be negative or anything, but if we decide to retake... what is the latest time we should schedule the retake? I am still stuck on whether I should be studying now or wait until I get my score. But if I wait, then is July too late for a retake? I am stuck on applying this cycle and making sure things are in place for that... even a better MCAT.
Any advice?

I don't know if this has been asked before, but do you guys think the content breakdown provided by the AAMC is an accurate reflection of the exam?

They say for B/BS:
First-semester biochemistry, 25%
Introductory biology, 65%
General chemistry, 5%
Organic chemistry, 5%

For C/P:
Introductory biology, 5%
General chemistry, 30%
Organic chemistry, 15%
Introductory physics, 25%

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules. I just want to know where to focus my studying. Thanks!

I don't know if this has been asked before, but do you guys think the content breakdown provided by the AAMC is an accurate reflection of the exam?

They say for B/BS:
Introductory biology, 65%
General chemistry, 5%
Organic chemistry, 5%

For C/P:
Introductory biology, 5%
General chemistry, 30%
Organic chemistry, 15%
Introductory physics, 25%

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules. I just want to know where to focus my studying. Thanks!

Just go with what they say. Obviously it will vary from exam to exam, they aren't going to have the exact percentages correct for each exam. One test might be heavier in orgo, another might be heavier in physics, etc.

Just go with what they say. Obviously it will vary from exam to exam, they aren't going to have the exact percentages correct for each exam. One test might be heavier in orgo, another might be heavier in physics, etc.

For me, I'm always confused at how people define "heavier". Like two more passages on the topic or a few questions. If that's the case, then it would seem the outline provided is false. Ochem is my worst subject, so I'm focusing pretty heavily on it. Though if it's not going to be worth my time, I want to move on to more high yield stuff.

For me, I'm always confused at how people define "heavier". Like two more passages on the topic or a few questions. If that's the case, then it would seem the outline provided is false. Ochem is my worst subject, so I'm focusing pretty heavily on it. Though if it's not going to be worth my time, I want to move on to more high yield stuff.

OChem is de-emphasized on the new exam, as per the guidelines. So I wouldn't focus on OChem that much at the expense of biochem or other high-yield topics. I would make sure you have high-yield topics down.

The few ochem q's that come up are honestly not very difficult. I wouldn't call it high yield at all.

Sent from my SM-G928V using SDN mobile

I think the outline is more of an average. So if you averaged the content over several exams, it would yield that percentage breakdown. But yeah heavier means a bit more than what you would have expected from that outline. I agree that biochem is very high yield for the MCAT though!

I literally have no motivation to study for my finals. I am so burnt out.... anyone else feel this way?

Honestly, I'm kind of glad I got the test out of the way before finals. I pretty much coasted through this semester spending most my energy on the MCAT, so now it's basically a catch up game to see how much I can teach myself in two days and somehow pull off all A's.

That moment when you randomly remember a question from the MCAT and immediately search the web for the right answer lol

Reactions: 1 users
6 more days until I get my MCAT score back....I am volunteering by making Hand Crafted Mother's Day cards for nursing homes and trying to find a physician to shadow to get my mind off of it.
Doing arts and crafts is a great way to relieve the anxiety.
Fortunately, I can only recall 2 questions that I completely guessed on and I can't remember what I selected, so I will never know if I got them right or not.

Ahh, so on my last genetics lab of the semester, I made a glorious discovery.....I've been reading my gel electrophoresis results backward for the entire semester. Considering I'm getting an A+ in the class, I'm wondering what my lab instructor actually does with our reports.......

Ahh, so on my last genetics lab of the semester, I made a glorious discovery.....I've been reading my gel electrophoresis results backward for the entire semester. Considering I'm getting an A+ in the class, I'm wondering what my lab instructor actually does with our reports.......

Is it a TA? I'm a TA for a gen chem lab and most of the other TA's I know only skim the lab reports because we're only paid for our time in the lab not time grading. If they are a TA I bet they're either just skimming the labs or maybe not reading them at all. Some TA's are just lazy or extremely busy idk.

Is it a TA? I'm a TA for a gen chem lab and most of the other TA's I know only skim the lab reports because we're only paid for our time in the lab not time grading. If they are a TA I bet they're either just skimming the labs or maybe not reading them at all. Some TA's are just lazy or extremely busy idk.

No it's actually a professor.....not that I can blame her, she's got >90 reports to grade every week, and each is about 8 pages long. I just thought it was so funny that I actually laughed when I realized it!

After nearly 7 months of studying, I finally took the MCAT on April 23rd, 2016. It felt a bit strange to spend more than 300 hours studying for a test that determines the course of your work-life, only to have it stop so suddenly. It feels sort of wrong. I did thousands of practice questions in preparation for that day, but only the score on those 230 questions will count.

I've been using spaced repetition heavily for all of my pre-req's, largely because I knew the information would be relevant for the MCAT and I wanted to retain as much as possible. I've literally done almost 80,000 repetitions over the past 3 years of reviewing cards every day, pretty much solely to keep info in my head for the MCAT. It's such a habit at this point that I can't imagine my life without the daily flashcard grind... I'll probably keep doing them afterwards but just turn off anything not relevant to medicine (looking at you, physics).