The Official April 2016 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
April Fool's you're taking the MCAT! Worst prank ever?! No really, as a serial delayer, I absolutely must take this thing on this day before application submissions this upcoming cycle in 2016. So I thought I would go ahead and start the official thread. Never to early to start an official support/study group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
505 on scored AAMC practice exam 2 weeks before actual exam. 513 on the actual test (April 1st). Don't let your practice scores discourage you!

On the other hand, my practice score is encouraging me. I scored a 520 on the practice and felt horrible about the real thing, but I am constantly seeing people outperform their practice or score no more than 2-3 points below it.

Reactions: 1 user
505 on scored AAMC practice exam 2 weeks before actual exam. 513 on the actual test (April 1st). Don't let your practice scores discourage you!
As someone who just scored a 508 a week before with a goal of over 510, I thank you for the encouragement! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the other hand, my practice score is encouraging me. I scored a 520 on the practice and felt horrible about the real thing, but I am constantly seeing people outperform their practice or score no more than 2-3 points below it.

Same here.....518 on the practice and felt terrible afterwards. Felt like I had to guess a decent amount, but numbers don't lie lol. I'm hoping that filling out AMCAS over the past couple of days hasn't been a waste of time haha. Onwards to AACOMAS!

Does anyone know the reason behind having to manually enter all of our classes and grades and then send in an official transcript? Just seems like a complete waste of time.

is there a new spreadsheet of the MCAT scores compilation, with the updated April 1st scores? I can't find the link.

Hope this is correct haha. How did it match up to your scored FL?
I took my real test on April 23 so I don't know my real scores yet. My unscored practice test prediction according to the sheet I attached was a bit below my scored practice test. I got an 81% on the unscored practice and 517 on the scored practice; I took the unscored two weeks before the scored and according to the sheet I was projected to have gotten a 515. So it's not TOO far off. I'm assuming on the real deal I got SOMEWHERE in the "broad" range the sheet gives (509-520). I'll update y'all in 2 weeks when I have my for real scores!

Last edited:
I took my real test on April 23 so I don't know my real scores yet. My unscored practice test prediction according to the sheet I attached was a bit below my scored practice test. I got an 81% on the unscored practice and 517 on the scored practice; I took the unscored two weeks before the scored and according to the sheet I was projected to have gotten a 515. So it's not TOO far off. I'm assuming on the real deal I got SOMEWHERE in the "broad" range the sheet gives (509-520). I'll update y'all in 2 weeks when I have my for real scores!

Now I just have to keep fighting the feelings of worthlessness I had (have) after leaving that test center. Holy hell did I feel like I messed up C/P and B/B. (CARS and P/S went pretty smoothly though.)
I'm sure you'll do better than you think you did based on others reactions. I'm just gonna have to tell myself the same after my test haha I'm sure I'll feel just as defeated after.

I'm sure you'll do better than you think you did based on others reactions. I'm just gonna have to tell myself the same after my test haha I'm sure I'll feel just as defeated after.

If you don't feel terrible afterward, you didn't do it right! :p

Last edited:
April 1st and 23rd test takers - how high yield was memorizing metabolism (enzymes, names, steps, etc.) on your tests? Taking it the 20th and want to know how much I should rememorize from biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
How were the physics/general chemistry "type" of questions? Those were my worst subjects on the old test.

@cantstopwontstopvu17 Not sure how much detail I can give so I'm being intentionally vague, but there was one freestanding (not passage-based) question where you had to know the steps of a pathway by heart. I memorized the pathways and am pretty sure I got it correct, but in retrospect my time would have been better spent studying psych terms rather than gunning for that one question.

@metoo I felt the physics was little more "off the wall" than the chemistry problems; that is, they were testing concepts in situations I had never seen before, or paid little attention to when I was studying. But that feeling could also just be a result of my relative weakness in physics.

@cantstopwontstopvu17 Not sure how much detail I can give so I'm being intentionally vague, but there was one freestanding (not passage-based) question where you had to know the steps of a pathway by heart. I memorized the pathways and am pretty sure I got it correct, but in retrospect my time would have been better spent studying psych terms rather than gunning for that one question.

@metoo I felt the physics was little more "off the wall" than the chemistry problems; that is, they were testing concepts in situations I had never seen before, or paid little attention to when I was studying. But that feeling could also just be a result of my relative weakness in physics.

And you still pulled off a 132? Impressive.

anybody notice that we can't put april test dates into AMCAS for the mcat standardized test section? will that get automatically put in once our scores are released?

anybody notice that we can't put april test dates into AMCAS for the mcat standardized test section? will that get automatically put in once our scores are released?

Your MCAT scores are automatically entered into AMCAS (as long as you took the test after something like 2002).

Another quick question. For breaks, after the 10 minutes or 30 minutes have expired, does the system automatically start the next section and you simply lose time if you come back a bit late or is there some sort of 2 minute grace period?

Another quick question. For breaks, after the 10 minutes or 30 minutes have expired, does the system automatically start the next section and you simply lose time if you come back a bit late or is there some sort of 2 minute grace period?
I could be wrong on this but I'm 90% sure you have to hit next for it to start the next section

April 1st and 23rd test takers - how high yield was memorizing metabolism (enzymes, names, steps, etc.) on your tests? Taking it the 20th and want to know how much I should rememorize from biochem.

Knowing which enzymes belong to which pathways (Pentose Phos, Glyco, Gluconeo) would have been enough to get all related questions on mine.

I was told at my testing center that the test will not start until you hit the 'Next' button due to how long it can take to check out and back in through the security procedures. On one of my breaks I came back and it said my break had ended, but the clock had not started. I'm not sure if there is an upper limit on this, but I think with any amount of time within reason and you will be fine.

Sent out Letter of Rec emails a week ago and only heard back from one professor :eek:. Gonna have to start pestering them lol.

Sent out Letter of Rec emails a week ago and only heard back from one professor :eek:. Gonna have to start pestering them lol.

Literally the worst part about the application imo. It took forever to get my profs to write my letters.

8 more days friends.. So ready for this tortureous wait to be over! I hope all of us hit the range we have worked so hard to score within!

I was told at my testing center that the test will not start until you hit the 'Next' button due to how long it can take to check out and back in through the security procedures. On one of my breaks I came back and it said my break had ended, but the clock had not started. I'm not sure if there is an upper limit on this, but I think with any amount of time within reason and you will be fine.

I'm pretty sure it will start up after about 5-8 extra minutes. I voided an exam a few years ago and at that center the sign in/out and restroom situation was a nightmare. I noticed the out of time screen after returning from my first break and then when it was up again on my second break I sat there trying to relax and get my ear plugs in anyway enjoying the extra time and then it just started. It was way more time than 10 minutes though. So anyone who was as anxious as I was about getting back in time... Don't worry.

wow congrats! do you mind sharing what you did after the aamc scored/what helped you score so well on test day?

i'm taking my mcat on friday, took the scored today and got a 501 (126/123/127/125) so i'm debating whether to void it or score it

For my personal statement you think I can write

"I want to be a doctor because when the zombies come I'll be needed" ???
hahaha

Loving this application process :arghh:

Literally the worst part about the application imo. It took forever to get my profs to write my letters.

I would rather take the MCAT a second time than ask for letters and pester people to write them :mad: I'd take it a 3rd time if I could have my PS magically written for me. To dream...

My letters are all in, and my personal statement is essentially done. But the ECs are killing me. Ive been working on it for 2 weeks

Are you guys elaborating on what you got out of each experience or no? My advisors say to do this- adcoms on SDN seem to disagree

Are you guys elaborating on what you got out of each experience or no? My advisors say to do this- adcoms on SDN seem to disagree

I'm writing out fairly long descriptions of my "3 most significant" and just a short synopsis for my others.....how come adcoms on here don't like that?

For my personal statement you think I can write

"I want to be a doctor because when the zombies come I'll be needed" ???
hahaha

Loving this application process :arghh:

If you just THINK in your head "when the zombies come" but actually delete it from your essay, but you still write as if you kept that part in, the essay might actually work. *MAYBE*

Well, by this time next week we'll all know our scores. FINALLY. Haha. Cannot wait to be able to make summer plans. People ask me now what I'm doing for the summer and I'm like, maybe studying for the MCAT, maybe going on vacation, maybe taking classes ...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, by this time next week we'll all know our scores. FINALLY. Haha. Cannot wait to be able to make summer plans. People ask me now what I'm doing for the summer and I'm like, maybe studying for the MCAT, maybe going on vacation, maybe taking classes ...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm right there with you. My summer plans now consist of hopefully not studying for the MCAT.
The wait is killing me. Surely they have the scores by now and are just letting us sweat it out.

I agree. If score is decent, I'll be working to gain a little cash and a few small trips here and there with a decent chance of Fall postbac.:soexcited::banana::biglove:

If I need a higher score, ill be retaking MCAT....and no fall postbac for me. :(+pissed+:barf:

Nothing like volunteering to keep your mind off the fear of getting test results back.

5 more days guys!:eek:

This is the final boss of our undergrad career.

Same here.....518 on the practice and felt terrible afterwards. Felt like I had to guess a decent amount, but numbers don't lie lol. I'm hoping that filling out AMCAS over the past couple of days hasn't been a waste of time haha. Onwards to AACOMAS!

Agreed. I score around 515-520 on scored and around what would be 510-515 on unscored. I felt good about CARS and P/S on the real thing, blah/OK on C/P, and :/ on Bio. Like i guessed some of Chem, Phys but a fair amount on Bio which is different bc i didnt guess on Unscored and Scored FL. I had real, solid rationale when selecting answers on the FLs but not so much on 4/23 actual

Agreed. I score around 515-520 on scored and around what would be 510-515 on unscored. I felt good about CARS and P/S on the real thing, blah/OK on C/P, and :/ on Bio. Like i guessed some of Chem, Phys but a fair amount on Bio which is different bc i didnt guess on Unscored and Scored FL. I had real, solid rationale when selecting answers on the FLs but not so much on 4/23 actual

Fingers crossed. Like 5 more days and ill know if postbac or not
#nervous. #anxious. #prayforme

This was essentially my experience as well. Same practice scores too. I'm curious what our scores end up being haha!

Start writing all your essays and secondaries for those schools that have them just on their websites. Easier for me cause through Texas there were a lot of those, but still I bet other non-Texas schools do it. You'll be getting ish done and the time will go by faster.

Nearly 4 more sleeps till we get our scores. :eek:Anyone have plans Tuesday? I have work that day. Figured I should wait until 9pm ET to look. After I see my last patient, and after I make my commute home. You know, just in case it results in a cry fest, a scream, or cardiac infarction.
:corny:

Nearly 4 more sleeps till we get our scores. :eek:Anyone have plans Tuesday? I have work that day. Figured I should wait until 9pm ET to look. After I see my last patient, and after I make my commute home. You know, just in case it results in a cry fest, a scream, or cardiac infarction.

Lol.
I work 3p-3a and that is day 1 of 3 straight so I'll look soon as theyre up. Ill be at work too anxious to not look if i try to wait til i get off.

How do you guys wait? When scores were released for April 1st, I could not help looking.