The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think GS verbal hovers around AAMC scores, but science scores are lower than actual (based on both of our performances and other sources..).

How do the AAMC practice tests compare to Kaplan FL? I've done two of the Kaplan FL's (FL1: 11/11/11; FL2: 11/11/13) and am going to take my first AAMC practice test this coming Tue. I've heard from people that their score dropped from the Kaplan to the AAMC tests...what have been your experiences/any advice before I dive in to it.

I would appreciate clarification if anyone can help out! When considering pipes that are open only on one end does the concept that
every harmonic frequency is always a whole number multiple of the fundamental frequency, Fn = n F(fundamental). ( n=1,3,5 etc...) still apply or is it only for pipes close/open at both ends ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would appreciate clarification if anyone can help out! When considering pipes that are open only on one end does the concept that
every harmonic frequency is always a whole number multiple of the fundamental frequency, Fn = n F(fundamental). ( n=1,3,5 etc...) still apply or is it only for pipes close/open at both ends ?

I think that for pipes open at one end n*F = n*v/4L, for n = 1,3,5 etc... (These pipes have a node at the closed end, and an anti-node at the open end)

For pipes open at both ends n*F = n*v/2L, where n = 1,2,3,4,5 etc (These pipes have anti-nodes at both open ends)

Is there such a thing as pipes closed at both ends? How would air flow through them?

How do the AAMC practice tests compare to Kaplan FL? I've done two of the Kaplan FL's (FL1: 11/11/11; FL2: 11/11/13) and am going to take my first AAMC practice test this coming Tue. I've heard from people that their score dropped from the Kaplan to the AAMC tests...what have been your experiences/any advice before I dive in to it.

I think you should just go into the AAMC with the mindset that you will score better. Don't worry about how it compares yet! That knowledge won't really help you, just keep a positive mindset.

Thank
I think that for pipes open at one end n*F = n*v/4L, for n = 1,3,5 etc... (These pipes have a node at the closed end, and an anti-node at the open end)

For pipes open at both ends n*F = n*v/2L, where n = 1,2,3,4,5 etc (These pipes have anti-nodes at both open ends)

Is there such a thing as pipes closed at both ends? How would air flow through them?

I think you should just go into the AAMC with the mindset that you will score better. Don't worry about how it compares yet! That knowledge won't really help you, just keep a positive mindset.

Thank you for your help. Sorry I meant open at both ends. I'm aware of those equations but a short cut to finding any of the harmonics is Fn = n F(fundamental) where n=1,2,3... for those open at both ends. My question is if we can apply this equation to pipes open only at one end.

Thank

Thank you for your help. Sorry I meant open at both ends. I'm aware of those equations but a short cut to finding any of the harmonics is Fn = n F(fundamental) where n=1,2,3... for those open at both ends. My question is if we can apply this equation to pipes open only at one end.

Yes of course, just n = 1,3,5 etc. for pipes open at one end only.

Question for those scoring rather high on the PS/BS sections of practice exams: when you review the exams; do you review only what you got wrong or do you review the entire test?

I've mostly been reviewing what I got incorrect (due to time constraints) or questions that I marked whether I got it correct or not. My logic is that I got it right because I understood the logic/concept.

Thanks.

Question for those scoring rather high on the PS/BS sections of practice exams: when you review the exams; do you review only what you got wrong or do you review the entire test?

I've mostly been reviewing what I got incorrect (due to time constraints) or questions that I marked whether I got it correct or not. My logic is that I got it right because I understood the logic/concept.

Thanks.

Ideally yeah you should go over correct ones for repetition as well as to learn about the ones you guessed on. But wrong ones is a minimum.

Thank you for the clarification :)

No prob.

I go over the entire test, and learn why each answer is wrong to reinforce the concepts, although I am not a high scorer.

Ideally yeah you should go over correct ones for repetition as well as to learn about the ones you guessed on. But wrong ones is a minimum.

I go over the entire test, and learn why each answer is wrong to reinforce the concepts, although I am not a high scorer.

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I'll have to take the time to go over the exams in their entirety this coming week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone looked at the 2015 MCAT guide questions for PS what do you think about the difficulty? I thought the questions were challenging!

Had to disconnect myself from this forum this weekend. I took two tests since then. Got a 32 (13/9/10) and was not thrilled. Probably over-testing since it was my 11th. Today I took an AAMC and got a 36 (13/12/11) so it looks like I need to focus on BS to round things out. So little time.

Can someone please help me out, I can't figure out how the dichromate gains 6e- per compound....
upload_2014-4-7_13-52-47.png

Can someone please help me out, I can't figure out how the dichromate gains 6e- per compound....
View attachment 180097

From my understanding....

the oxidation state of Cr in NA2Cr2O7 is +6
The oxidation state of Cr in Cr2O3 is +3
Cr has a gain of 3 electrons in going from Na2Cr2O7 to Cr2O3 (oxidized)
Since there are 2 atoms of Cr in Cr2O3, and each gains 3 electrons, the compound [Cr2O3] will have a net gain of 6e compared to Na2Cr2O7

Edit: The oxidation states of Cr are determined by knowing the oxidation staes of the other atoms in compound
Na= +1
O= -2
Na2=+2
O7=-14

Last edited:
View attachment 180097

In case the above poster didn't clarify, I figured I would throw my 2 cents in here:

For this problem I would break up the compound. Na2Cr2O7 .... You know that alkali metals (the column that includes Sodium) pretty much always have oxidation states of +1. So the 2 Na's = +2. This means that Cr2O7 must be 2- because the overall compound doesn't carry a charge. Oxygen is usually 2- except in peroxides and diatomic Oxygen, so the 7 Oxygens = -14. Again, remember that the Cr2O7 is 2-, so therefore the 2 Chromiums must add up to 12+ (because 12 - 14 = -2 charge overall). If 2 chromiums add up to 12+, then each one must be 6+.

On the other side of the equation the Cr2O3 carries no charge, and so it can be determined that each Chromium must carry a charge of 3+. So basically in each Na2Cr2O7 you have 2 Chromiums that go from 6+ to 3+. This means each one gains 3 electrons, for a total of 6 electrons per compound.

You could also have memorized that dichromate ions (Cr2O7 ions) carry a 2- charge, but the above calculations can be done in your head in less than 3 seconds if you know how to approach them.

Had to disconnect myself from this forum this weekend. I took two tests since then. Got a 32 (13/9/10) and was not thrilled. Probably over-testing since it was my 11th. Today I took an AAMC and got a 36 (13/12/11) so it looks like I need to focus on BS to round things out. So little time.

I feel you on the lack of time. I still have like 5 AAMCs, the self assessments, and like 8 chapters of final 1/3 BR passages to go through. Feeling the pressure now. Good score though on the AAMC.

From my understanding....

the oxidation state of Cr in NA2Cr2O7 is +6
The oxidation state of Cr in Cr2O3 is +3
Cr has a gain of 3 electrons in going from Na2Cr2O7 to Cr2O3 (oxidized)
Since there are 2 atoms of Cr in Cr2O3, and each gains 3 electrons, the compound [Cr2O3] will have a net gain of 6e compared to Na2Cr2O7

Edit: The oxidation states of Cr are determined by knowing the oxidation staes of the other atoms in compound
Na= +1
O= -2
Na2=+2
O7=-14

Your solution and explanation is correct, but Cr is not oxidized, it is reduced (goes from +6 to +3). Fe is oxidized (LEO GER).

I feel you on the lack of time. I still have like 5 AAMCs, the self assessments, and like 8 chapters of final 1/3 BR passages to go through. Feeling the pressure now. Good score though on the AAMC.

Your solution and explanation is correct, but Cr is not oxidized, it is reduced (goes from +6 to +3). Fe is oxidized (LEO GER).

You are right! I confused a lower oxidation # with a loss of electrons. Thank you sir for the clarafication.

Hey awesome scores dude!

I only have AAMC 8-11 and GS 7 remaining. I bought like 3 GS exams just to keep myself sharp on the exam.

Like you, I also got a 36 on AAMC 7 (13 PS 9 VR 14 BS). Was somewhat pissed off on this exam because 1 more question on each section would have afforded a 14 10 15....

I wouldn't say that I am good at VR haha, I tend to range from 9-12, but it seems like you are extremely consistent with VR which is great! I, like other people on this thread tend to mentally map questions and try whenever possible to eliminate 3 answer choices.

Oh nice! Good to see that we are both on the same track and got the same score, best of luck to the both of us. Yeah it took me a bit to adjust to the AAMC style, there are more question stems and answer choices that are worded more trickily, I had adjust to using the "eliminating the obvious wrong answer choices first technique" more often on this one. Gold standards were hard in that they were very specific with concepts at times. Yeah ive been scoring a 10 consistently, but my range is a bit narrow, from 9-11. Haven't ever gotten a 12 or higher I dont believe, so there's pros and cons to my consistency haha.

Ive taken two written kaplan tests from a book. These were the first two tests I took after content review and I believe I score a 27 and 34, yeah very inconsistent scores but I believe that the curve for physical was too lenient (i think i got a 14 on the second kaplan test for PS but missed like 8-10 questions).

Although the AAMC is less lenient with the curve, dont go in with the mindset that you have to get all of them right, that will really mess up your timing because you'll be wasting precious minutes trying to confirm that your answers are indeed correct. A lot of the questions will be worded trickily, but if you get the simple concept behind the questions most of the time your answer choice is correct, so "instinctively guess" and move on.

Best of luck with your test on Tuesday. And remember, the MCAT is really just testing simple concepts, the trick is that they present these concepts in an environment that feels new and strange to the test takers. So its up to you to be able to decipher the simple concept behind each question and answer to the best of your abilities. If you have done enough content review, you have all the tools that you need to succeed, now its just time for you to study the ACTUAL MCAT TEST in terms of the style of questions, instead of studying and memorizing the science materials.

I have a question for you guys, are the self assessments really helpful? I still have to do last 1/3 of the SN2 passages for like 8 chapters. Should I focus on those or do self assessments now? I will obviously continue to do AAMCs.

Last edited:
I have a question for you guys, are the self assessments really helpful? I still have to do last 1/3 of the SN2 passages for like 8 chapters. Should I focus on those or do self assessments now? I will obviously continue to do AAMCs.

They are really similar to the AAMC practice exams. The passages vary from easy/medium in difficulty compared to AAMC FL. In my opinion you should be fine if you don't do the self assessments. However, it comes down to how much content review you need ( I'm not sure what you mean by 1/3 of SN2) vs practice.

Have you done the 146 questions for the Official Guide to the MCAT book from AAMC? I just did a few of the set problems as focused/practice questions in between the days I take a practice test, and I feel like they are pretty good for jogging your brain. They are suppose to reflect the current MCAT the most since they're from past exams. I would say they are harder than the AAMC, but just a tad easier than gold standard practice tests. Helped me get accustomed to the style of the actual MCAT, since I heard the AAMC practice tests are a little easier.

Have you done the 146 questions for the Official Guide to the MCAT book from AAMC? I just did a few of the set problems as focused/practice questions in between the days I take a practice test, and I feel like they are pretty good for jogging your brain. They are suppose to reflect the current MCAT the most since they're from past exams. I would say they are harder than the AAMC, but just a tad easier than gold standard practice tests. Helped me get accustomed to the style of the actual MCAT, since I heard the AAMC practice tests are a little easier.

I don't have the official AAMC guide, and at this point I don't think I will have time for any more problems as it is. But I'm sure its similar to the self assessments no?

They are really similar to the AAMC practice exams. The passages vary from easy/medium in difficulty compared to AAMC FL. In my opinion you should be fine if you don't do the self assessments. However, it comes down to how much content review you need ( I'm not sure what you mean by 1/3 of SN2) vs practice.

I will try to see if I have time this weekend. I mean I am following SN2s schedule, and at this stage we are supposed to be doing AAMCs and the final 1/3rd of passages in each TBR book chapter. I'd like to do the passages to brush up on content.

I don't have the official AAMC guide, and at this point I don't think I will have time for any more problems as it is. But I'm sure its similar to the self assessments no?

I will try to see if I have time this weekend. I mean I am following SN2s schedule, and at this stage we are supposed to be doing AAMCs and the final 1/3rd of passages in each TBR book chapter. I'd like to do the passages to brush up on content.

I believe so, I haven't looked into the self-assessment package, but from AKMCAT is saying, that should be good enough. Yeah if you dont have the guide then no reason to use it at this point, but the majority of the passages were hard/medium instead of easy/medium, so that helped give me a good idea of the more difficult problems on the actual MCAT.

For brushing up, I just used the Kaplan 750 flash cards, but to each his own, I think you'll be just fine. I heard SN2 schedule is actually pretty hard to keep up with, so I think you're doing pretty good.

You still have plenty of time to boost that if you go hard.
Do you feel that the PSsection was more calculation heavy for AAMC10?

I wouldn't say the PS on AAMC10 was particularly calculation heavy, but the conceptual questions I felt were more challenging than the previous AAMCs I've taken (7-9). As always its about your own individual weaknesses, and I feel 10 exposed some of my more poignant ones.

How were you doing on AAMCs before #10? What were the break downs?

Before 10 I took
AAMC 7 (10/9/10) = 29
AAMC 8 (8/12/11) = 31
AAMC 9 (11/11/10) = 32

I was on the stead incline and then this.... so I'm hoping that it was more of a misnomer than anything, because I was a little tired and I made some mistakes that looking back were pretty ridiculous.

Taking AAMC11 tomorrow, so wish me luck!

I just took EK Verbal 13 No improvement. I give up with verbal!! It seems impossible for me to improve or maintain a stable score :bang:

What are you scoring?
It really varies with AAMC(3-7)I've scored 9-10. TPR Verbal or Exam Kracker 6-8!! Now i find myself worrying more about my score while taking the verbal than actually "actively" reading. Verbal can definitely be a mind game.

Nothing special. hows your post game analysis going?

I went over some of it. Made some silly mistakes here and there. Verbal was a bit tougher for this one? Or maybe I was sleepy.

Edit: I should say I went over some of it. Still gotta actually go through all the problems.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the PS on AAMC10 was particularly calculation heavy, but the conceptual questions I felt were more challenging than the previous AAMCs I've taken (7-9). As always its about your own individual weaknesses, and I feel 10 exposed some of my more poignant ones.

Before 10 I took
AAMC 7 (10/9/10) = 29
AAMC 8 (8/12/11) = 31
AAMC 9 (11/11/10) = 32

I was on the stead incline and then this.... so I'm hoping that it was more of a misnomer than anything, because I was a little tired and I made some mistakes that looking back were pretty ridiculous.

Taking AAMC11 tomorrow, so wish me luck!

Good luck sir!!!!

It really varies with AAMC(3-7)I've scored 9-10. TPR Verbal or Exam Kracker 6-8!! Now i find myself worrying more about my score while taking the verbal than actually "actively" reading. Verbal can definitely be a mind game.
Well AAMC should be a more accurate representation of your score. 9-10 is solid.

I'm finally done with content review. 5 more FL's to go. GS4, TPR5, AAMC10, AAMC9, then AAMC11. Doing the Gen. Chem Self Assessment tomorrow morning.

Fatigue is starting to kick in nasty, I'm so ready to be done with this test.

I'm finally done with content review. 5 more FL's to go. GS4, TPR5, AAMC10, AAMC9, then AAMC11. Doing the Gen. Chem Self Assessment tomorrow morning.

Agreed, getting a little tired for sure!

It's the home stretch, I feel your pain. But you must live up to your username.

On another note, whenever I finish a practice AAMC and hit "I want my score", my heart races like crazy to see my score. It's going to be terrible waiting a month for the real thing.

Last edited:
It's the home stretch, I feel your pain. But you must live up to your username.

On another note, whenever I finish a practice AAMC and hit "I want my score", my heart races like crazy to see my score. It's going to be terrible waiting a month for the real thing.

tell me about it.. I took AAMC 8 yesterday, and made a 27. I just want to break a 30... :(

Reactions: 1 users
I think VR SA is good practice for AAMC style passages. (Im not sure if you need practice though, if i remember correctly you were scoring phenomenal) Bio SA is decent the first 80 questions are pretty simple, I haven't taken PS or Orgo SAs yet. At the end of the SA's they just give you pointless charts and graphs.

tell me about it.. I took AAMC 8 yesterday, and made a 27. I just want to break a 30... :(

You're just saving the 30+ for the real thing.

I think VR SA is good practice for AAMC style passages. (Im not sure if you need practice though, if i remember correctly you were scoring phenomenal) Bio SA is decent the first 80 questions are pretty simple, I haven't taken PS or Orgo SAs yet. At the end of the SA's they just give you pointless charts and graphs.

Ah okay thanks. I'll pass on VR, but I will likely get bio.

Just completed AAMC 7 verbal and AAMC 8 verbal yesterday and today. Prior to these two tests I couldn't raise my score above 7. After studying EK and TPR and working on practice passages I scored:

AAMC 7: 8 (one question away from 9)
AAMC 8: 10 (my first 10 EVER)

So excited! Hopefully I can score a 10 on the real deal!

Reactions: 3 users