The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
PSA for self-studiers looking for more practice exams: TPR has a 2015 Test package where you get 8 FL for $299. I just got off the phone with a phone rep and she said these exams are DIFFERENT from the 3 FL you would get if you purchased any of their content books. So you can basically have 12 FL (TPR's 11 FL + AAMC FL) to practice with it!

DON'T BUY IT! Silly me, I didn't' read the fine print. Basically you really only get 3-4 NEW FLs for $299. The other tests can be found in their prep books.

Here's what I'm gonna use for FLs (works well for May/June takers)
AAMC #1 sample test (1)
TPR Fl + mini test (5)
Kaplan diagnostic (1)
NS 5 full-lengths ($149)+ half diagnostic (6)
GS free practice test + FL (6) (available in March-May)
TOTAL: 19 FL

For April test takers--You can still get access to about 16 FL. 3 GS FLs will be coming out March/April

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm hopefully taking it on Friday the 17th. That means nine weeks from today. I've been studying for a while but working full time is rough. I got my hours cut down and using old BR & Kaplan books mainly. Enrolled in Kaplan course but the dates are off so it ends after the test date.

I sat down the other morning to start taking my first full practice exam, through Kaplan online (I had Kaplan for the Jan 13th test I wasn't up on my verbal though). My butt was so sore after the critical reading section. IDK I just gave up on it! I think I will have to master sitting and concentrating without getting hungry for a long time. Definitely need to eat every break! Work had me up and down, so my tail bone is not used to prolonged sitting or something. Anyway, I thought this is just as important to keep in mind as ramping up the studying from here on out. I'm hoping to put in 6-7.5 hours 5-6 days a week, and really focus on verbal and the psych/soc part. I also went through and highlighting stuff I need to work on through the AAMC's outline. Luckily, I've taken Biochem.

Any thoughts on how to prep for this beast? I hope the scoring won't include professional test takers. That would be totally off the wall and won't compensate for the $150. I'm taking off work a lot of time to prep, so $150 won't make up if I have to take in June. Also, I noticed all May dates in ConUS are taken. I'm super nervous, though, honestly.

I've only been studying for a few days, any april test takers that are in the same boat? Starting studying soon or have been studying for about a week or so?

I'm going to check out this cram pack!

I've only been studying for a few days, any april test takers that are in the same boat? Starting studying soon or have been studying for about a week or so?

I'm going to check out this cram pack!

yup pretty much just started. still trying to figure out a legitimate plan, really.

i just have the old materials and a new psyche EK book. not sure how to incorporate biochem... this shall be an interesting couple of months.

yup pretty much just started. still trying to figure out a legitimate plan, really.

i just have the old materials and a new psyche EK book. not sure how to incorporate biochem... this shall be an interesting couple of months.
Hey feel free to PM me. I made a 60 day outline incorporating TBR materials for general science, and Kaplan products for Behavioral & Biochemistry review.

Are you applying this cycle? I am...:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm hopefully taking it on Friday the 17th. That means nine weeks from today. I've been studying for a while but working full time is rough. I got my hours cut down and using old BR & Kaplan books.

I'm glad to see someone else doing the working full time struggle too! So far, I've been treating studying like it's a part time job. So I've got to get at least 24 hours a week, if not more, of studying in. Luckily my PI is ok with me studying during downtime in the lab, but I wish I could've gone your route and just cut back my hours instead.

I'm glad to see someone else doing the working full time struggle too! So far, I've been treating studying like it's a part time job. So I've got to get at least 24 hours a week, if not more, of studying in. Luckily my PI is ok with me studying during downtime in the lab, but I wish I could've gone your route and just cut back my hours instead.

Hi NaomiM,
Just think of the awesome recommendation your PI will give you! I realized work is what was holding me back and clearly not my ideal job, yes, I am very very thankful I am able to do this. I'm trying to focus on areas that are not familiar with me, like the psych/soc & going over lab techniques using the MCAT 2015 PR big book and Kaplan's chapter in Biochem, making study deck on studystack.com hopefully will complete soon enough, if anyone is interested its "MCAT lab techniques".

Does anyone know how many passages CARS will have? Also for those who have taken the old MCAT (including myself), do you know if the passages will be longer? Also what prep materials are you using for psychology and sociology?

And for those of you who are using berkeley review books from the old MCAT, do you find them useful for the new MCAT?

I've been using the old TBR books to study for General Chemistry and part of Organic Chemistry because it seems like the MCAT2015 is retaining a lot of the Gchem and OChem topics from the older exams, and TBR does a great job with these topics. Granted, the OChem is probably overkill because the MCAT2015 is taking out a good deal of OChem including alkenes and alkynes (Correct me if I'm wrong).

However I'm having a hard time knowing how to study Physics for MCAT2015. TBR is VERY detailed when it comes to physics but from what I've heard, the MCAT2015 is cutting back on physics. Does anyone know how much physics will be de-emphasized? Particularly the topics covered in 4A of the AAMC outline. It looks to me like everything is reduced significantly on MCAT2015 compared to old MCATs. For example, the outline does not even mention that we need to know things like circular motion or projectile motion, and the bullet points underneath the headings are so vague. I'm trying to make sure that I'm only studying what is needed in the Physics category. The outline makes it seem as though we only need a rudimentary knowledge of physics concepts that were tested heavily on the old MCATs, but I also don't want to study too little..

I've been using the old TBR books to study for General Chemistry and part of Organic Chemistry because it seems like the MCAT2015 is retaining a lot of the Gchem and OChem topics from the older exams, and TBR does a great job with these topics. Granted, the OChem is probably overkill because the MCAT2015 is taking out a good deal of OChem including alkenes and alkynes (Correct me if I'm wrong).

However I'm having a hard time knowing how to study Physics for MCAT2015. TBR is VERY detailed when it comes to physics but from what I've heard, the MCAT2015 is cutting back on physics. Does anyone know how much physics will be de-emphasized? Particularly the topics covered in 4A of the AAMC outline. It looks to me like everything is reduced significantly on MCAT2015 compared to old MCATs. For example, the outline does not even mention that we need to know things like circular motion or projectile motion, and the bullet points underneath the headings are so vague. I'm trying to make sure that I'm only studying what is needed in the Physics category. The outline makes it seem as though we only need a rudimentary knowledge of physics concepts that were tested heavily on the old MCATs, but I also don't want to study too little..

I definitely understand what you mean with the vagueness of AAMC content outline for concept 4. To make sure I follow what's on the guideline, I am using TBR (skipping sections not covered) and then supplement with Khan academy. KA's passages for a physics do a really great job with incorporating a biological context with physics application. So I think the combo of TBR, KA and it's passages will help give you a glimpse on what to expect. Of course, the AAMC test & sample questions are the cherry on top. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't sign up yet (waiting for FAP), but I'm excited for this new test! Long story, short, I took the old one when I wasn't ready a couple of years ago, life happened, and now I'm ready to take study for this new one except I'm studying in secret. My sister did really good on the old one, and my parents basically have written off me being any sort of doctor, basically saying I'm incapable of being one. Yeah it hurt, and yeah they may be right, but I just know I can do it.

I've already gone through the genchem/physics TBR books, but that was a while ago.. so I'm going to do:
  • GChem/Physics/Ochem: TBR
  • Biology: EK/TBR for biology
  • Biochem: Kaplan/TBR for content, TBR for passages
  • Behavioral Science: Kaplan.
  • Verbal: new EK one, TPRH, EK 101
For practice passages: the ones in TBR, TPRH SW. Real practice: question bundle pack from aamc, the 2015 guide, the FL, and either Kaplan or TPR CBT's. Is anyone doing the old AAMC FL's?

Last edited:
Anyone take a 2015 practice exam timed? Care to discuss? Any pointers on it? I feel like this is a marathon compared to the previous exam. Going to try again later this week but I've been falling behind. Less than 8 weeks away! Adrenaline, vasocontriction, eyes dilating...you get da point...

I didn't sign up yet (waiting for FAP), but I'm excited for this new test! Long story, short, I took the old one when I wasn't ready a couple of years ago, life happened, and now I'm ready to take study for this new one except I'm studying in secret. My sister did really good on the old one, and my parents basically have written off me being any sort of doctor, basically saying I'm incapable of being one. Yeah it hurt, and yeah they may be right, but I just know I can do it.

I've already gone through the genchem/physics TBR books, but that was a while ago.. so I'm going to do:
  • GChem/Physics/Ochem: TBR
  • Biology: EK/TBR for biology
  • Biochem: Kaplan/TBR for content, TBR for passages
  • Behavioral Science: Kaplan.
  • Verbal: new EK one, TPRH, EK 101
For practice passages: the ones in TBR, TPRH SW. Real practice: question bundle pack from aamc, the 2015 guide, the FL, and either Kaplan or TPR CBT's. Is anyone doing the old AAMC FL's?
I'm not doing the old FLs. I don't see the point. If you are taking it in April like I hope to, I am not going to have the time to commit, also alot of the PS section doesn't seem similar to the new PS section: GC 30%, PS 25%, BioChem 25%, OC15%, Bio5%. Better to spend that time on learning Psy/Soc because if you are like me, I'm not that familiar with these concepts and sitting for 60 minutes instead of 95 minutes will trick you in the end. I would only do the FLs not in test form, but for passage practice. Def not timed like it were an exam. Just my opinion though.

I'm not doing the old FLs. I don't see the point. If you are taking it in April like I hope to, I am not going to have the time to commit, also alot of the PS section doesn't seem similar to the new PS section: GC 30%, PS 25%, BioChem 25%, OC15%, Bio5%. Better to spend that time on learning Psy/Soc because if you are like me, I'm not that familiar with these concepts and sitting for 60 minutes instead of 95 minutes will trick you in the end. I would only do the FLs not in test form, but for passage practice. Def not timed like it were an exam. Just my opinion though.
imo I think the old tests are great b/c you understand how AAMC writes. Plus..GC/PHYS/General BIO is largely unchanged.

So from what I see the questions packs is a compilation of old SA and AAMC 3-11 (yes, I have taken all of them). I believe they cut out all the irrelevant stuff.

So from what I see the questions packs is a compilation of old SA and AAMC 3-11 (yes, I have taken all of them). I believe they cut out all the irrelevant stuff.
No new material at all? Then I can save 60-70 bucks cause I have all the old aamc self assessment and old aamc exams

Anyone take a 2015 practice exam timed? Care to discuss? Any pointers on it? I feel like this is a marathon compared to the previous exam. Going to try again later this week but I've been falling behind. Less than 8 weeks away! Adrenaline, vasocontriction, eyes dilating...you get da point...

I took a diagnostic exam from Next Step. I'm assuming it's pretty comparable to the new exam.

After doing so, I would say to seek out new pre-test taking resources. I don't find the old practice tests to be very relevant at this point. All the physical sciences passages were in a biological context, not at all how they were presented in the old exam. There weren't straight physics passages with force, fluids, and magnestism concepts tied into one like in the past.

I actually really like the feel of the new MCAT. Also, I wouldn't spend a tremendous amount of time studying the psyche section... as long as you have the concepts down, it's pretty much common sense, in my opinion!

I took a diagnostic exam from Next Step. I'm assuming it's pretty comparable to the new exam.

After doing so, I would say to seek out new pre-test taking resources. I don't find the old practice tests to be very relevant at this point. All the physical sciences passages were in a biological context, not at all how they were presented in the old exam. There weren't straight physics passages with force, fluids, and magnestism concepts tied into one like in the past.

I actually really like the feel of the new MCAT. Also, I wouldn't spend a tremendous amount of time studying the psyche section... as long as you have the concepts down, it's pretty much common sense, in my opinion!
I think there will be straight Physics passages in the new MCAT. Olds exams are awesome prep imo

I think there will be straight Physics passages in the new MCAT. Olds exams are awesome prep imo

The entire context in which the physics will be presented is different from the past.

Timing yourself during sections is crucial during prep. Neither the length of the past exams, nor the time allotted for each section are comparable to MCAT 2015. At this point, I'm going to be preparing in a way that mirrors what I am expecting to see come April. But eh, to each his own.

The entire context in which the physics will be presented is different from the past.

Timing yourself during sections is crucial during prep. Neither the length of the past exams, nor the time allotted for each section are comparable to MCAT 2015. At this point, I'm going to be preparing in a way that mirrors what I am expecting to see come April. But eh, to each his own.
I compared the content lists for physics from the old and new tests, and there's a lot of overlap.

You said different...different how?

It doesn't matter about the content. Yes, the content is largely unchanged, you're correct, but do yourself a favor and take a practice exam to get oriented. The context is entirely different, heavily focused on biological processes that simply involve physics. I found that the physics is often tied to some other component such as biochemistry or organic.

Obviously I will be doing straight physics passages to practice topics I am weak in, but only the 2015 practice tests will truly evaluate my reasoning skills within the newly focused MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
It doesn't matter about the content. Yes, the content is largely unchanged, you're correct, but do yourself a favor and take a practice exam to get oriented. The context is entirely different, heavily focused on biological processes that simply involve physics. I found that the physics is often tied to some other component such as biochemistry or organic.

Obviously I will be doing straight physics passages to practice topics I am weak in, but only the 2015 practice tests will truly evaluate my reasoning skills within the newly focused MCAT.
Will do! I've been doing mainly content review, haven't done FLs so thanks, I'll check out the NS practice Exam. I'm just a bit hesitant to change my studying because of practice tests offered by NS, Kaplan, or TPR b/c AAMC exams are usually a bit different.

I've been working through the new AAMC outline as well, while doing my content review. I think it's pretty easy to assume that not much has been changed about that section, when just looking through the various bullet points. The outline makes it seem as though they just added a few topics and subtracted a few others. But once you actually try the new AAMC questions, it's like a whole new ballgame. To me the new test feels like one huge vocab quiz, where they're just throwing as much terminology at you as they can to try and confuse you.

For me, I'm trying to wrap up my content review in the next 2-3 days, testing myself by using the old EK1001 questions and then all of March is just going to be the AAMC question packs, TBR passages, TPR passages, and post gaming. Hopefully it works...

I've been working through the new AAMC outline as well, while doing my content review. I think it's pretty easy to assume that not much has been changed about that section, when just looking through the various bullet points. The outline makes it seem as though they just added a few topics and subtracted a few others. But once you actually try the new AAMC questions, it's like a whole new ballgame. To me the new test feels like one huge vocab quiz, where they're just throwing as much terminology at you as they can to try and confuse you.

For me, I'm trying to wrap up my content review in the next 2-3 days, testing myself by using the old EK1001 questions and then all of March is just going to be the AAMC question packs, TBR passages, TPR passages, and post gaming. Hopefully it works...
What do you mean vocab quiz? More content based?

Sounds like a good plan. :thumbup: March for me will definitely be passages on passages on passages, and hopefully a few practice exams.

So I am aware of all the additions to the test. But does anyone know which specific topics were removed?

So I am aware of all the additions to the test. But does anyone know which specific topics were removed?
Yeah, I wish I had time to go through with a fine toof comb and compare and contrast the differences~hoots to the May 22nd who maybe have time for this. I'm not sure why it matters, though. Momentum is not included, so that is one. I read that somewhere. Unless I totally missed it. The greatest change imo is that 55% of the PS is going to be traditional PS, the rest is with bio&biochem. Idk why you would want to spend equal time on PS/GC, BIO/OC, and verbal, and just throw in Psy/Soc since its alot of biochem. Biochem being the key change here, besides the other obvious that imo is not always common sense. Take a look at the percent of each topic in each section from the pdf I linked you to earlier.

I'm also planning to finish up content review in next 2 days. I seriously need motivation for verbal though. Its like I am so bored and all these abstract nonsense topics, anyone help with motivation or share how you are preparing for verbal. Much appreciated!

Yeah, I wish I had time to go through with a fine toof comb and compare and contrast the differences~hoots to the May 22nd who maybe have time for this. I'm not sure why it matters, though. Momentum is not included, so that is one. I read that somewhere. Unless I totally missed it. The greatest change imo is that 55% of the PS is going to be traditional PS, the rest is with bio&biochem. Idk why you would want to spend equal time on PS/GC, BIO/OC, and verbal, and just throw in Psy/Soc since its alot of biochem. Biochem being the key change here, besides the other obvious that imo is not always common sense. Take a look at the percent of each topic in each section from the pdf I linked you to earlier.

I'm also planning to finish up content review in next 2 days. I seriously need motivation for verbal though. Its like I am so bored and all these abstract nonsense topics, anyone help with motivation or share how you are preparing for verbal. Much appreciated!

I agree that it would not be wise to spend equal time on GC/PS as you would BIO/BC. I plan on doing a 1:3 ratio, respectively, of allotted study time, which is what I have been doing, and seems good thus far. I don't know what to tell you about verbal. I've been on literary competition teams since high school, so best advice I can give is study and try to get into that particular way of thinking.

The best advice I've been given is to read verbal passages as though they're something you want to read. I have a tendency to highlight the last sentences of paragraphs, just to have a point of reference.

I'm actually happy if it is like that for people like me lol.

It seems like there are very few 2015 practice materials that give an actual score, just a percent of questions correct ... it's frustrating to know what my target score is and have no way to assess whether I'm reaching it. How are you all gauging your success on practice passages/exams? What percentage are you shooting for? (I mean, obviously the percentage to shoot for is 100%, but realistically...)

Just curious to see where we're all at, but how many of you guys think that at this stage with about a month and a half left, you feel pretty prepared and at least semi-confident about this test? :)

Just curious to see where we're all at, but how many of you guys think that at this stage with about a month and a half left, you feel pretty prepared and at least semi-confident about this test? :)

I feel pretty good. This is mainly considering the circumstances under which I took the last MCAT. I hadn't even started studying by this time last test and had no idea the format/feel/ or really anything about the MCAT lol.

I feel at such a greater disposition now because I not only like the new test better (yay psychology section), but also because I know what the MCAT is and how to study. Literally don't even think I knew how to do logs going into the last MCAT bahaha. Hence I came out with a 27.

I'm pretty confident on bio/biochem and verbal. Psych/soc, for whatever reason is not cooperating. :/

I've been using a combination of my old biochem textbook (Lehninger) and TBR. For verbal, I've been doing passages from LSAT prep books.

For those of you who have taken the exam, how many passages are there in the CARS section? And how difficult are those passages compared to the old exam if you are a retake?

It seems like there are very few 2015 practice materials that give an actual score, just a percent of questions correct ... it's frustrating to know what my target score is and have no way to assess whether I'm reaching it. How are you all gauging your success on practice passages/exams? What percentage are you shooting for? (I mean, obviously the percentage to shoot for is 100%, but realistically...)

I think the percentage to shoot for is 50% on each section (to get an average score)

For those of you who have taken the exam, how many passages are there in the CARS section? And how difficult are those passages compared to the old exam if you are a retake?

There are no science based passages in CARS which is great. I think there were 9 or 10 passages. Verbal is my strength so I made a 92% on it but I made ~40% on the sciences so I have some work to do.

There are no science based passages in CARS which is great. I think there were 9 or 10 passages. Verbal is my strength so I made a 92% on it but I made ~40% on the sciences so I have some work to do.
What was your breakdown?
How similar is this exam to the old exam in the way questions are worded and their difficulty?