The Official August 15, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axa5780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'am signed up for this date. I didn't find a thread for August 15th, so here it is. Let's make this a fun experience, and hope we all come out the other end satisfied with our score.

Materials:
PS: BR Physics, NOVA Physics, BR Chemistry, EK 1001 Chem & Phys
BS: EK Biology, BR Biology, EK 1001 Biol
Verbal: EK 101, TPR Verbal

Extras: TPRH SW, WIkiPremed Flashcards & videos. All AAMC FL plus all Kaplan FL.

Lets do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys mostly juniors or seniors now? I'm a junior... really scary to think undergrad is halfway over... :eek:

But the one good thing about classes starting is that it's distracting me from worrying about my MCAT score.

Nontrad (aka getting old and don't want to wait another year with applying)

This wait for our scores is awful. I oscillate between expecting a score in the low 20s and hoping for a miracle. Makes me not want to write those secondaries at all...

I also spent countless hours on SDN trying to find correlations between aamc averages, post-test feelings, and actual scores, but couldn't find anything conclusive. It certainly is possible to get lucky and score well despite feeling crappy post-test, but I have also read about people getting 5+ points below their averages... Will have to wait and see I guess!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nontraditional graduating in spring so .. maybe a super senior ? ;)
School definitely has done well in distracting me, but I am panicking if I need to retake before the 2015.

PostBacc! Thinking about this MCAT makes me feel like a failure.
I just think I completely failed. Help

I don't like the thought of having to spend my Christmas break studying for the retake..

Reactions: 4 users
Our Physics prof died of a heart attack in his office the day before school started, and a lot of pre-med's taking physics did not have class for 3 weeks. (We only have one physics prof.) May he rest in peace, but the department was honestly just waiting for him to resign because he was not a very good prof.

During the semester that I took Chem II, my professor had a heart attack just after the first test and was back in time to start lecturing for the third test. Needless to say, there were some angry pre meds.

Just saying, if I don't do well on this....

I may just have to start smoking again...

Then....start studying again... I already registered for the January 13th exam...

Also I find my self instead of doing my school work...going through old sdn post mcat score threads....just to make myself feel better..however...I only saw 1 miracle in every thread...Makes me feel more depressed...

Also I find my self instead of doing my school work...going through old sdn post mcat score threads....just to make myself feel better..however...I only saw 1 miracle in every thread...Makes me feel more depressed...

I feel exactly the same way. Good for you for scheduling a retake already. I'm in denial and waiting for a miracle :(

Reactions: 1 users
Also, Every night I realize a new mistake I made on the test....Having a hard time falling asleep, I end up just looking through my notes and realizing how wrong I was...

Also, Every night I realize a new mistake I made on the test....Having a hard time falling asleep, I end up just looking through my notes and realizing how wrong I was...

I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time. I'm sure you already know this but going over your potential mistakes will only make you feel worse. Having said that, I felt so awful after PS that I was still calculating things I got wrong on PS during my break before VS, terrible idea.

I don't know what score you're aiming for but at least on practice tests, you can actually get quite a few things wrong and still do okay-ish. It seems like the difference between, say, 12 and 13 can be only one question, but between 10 and 9 it can be a few questions. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, the SDN wisdom has it that most people score around their averages. So just statistically speaking, you have a better chance scoring your average than otherwise.

In case you're comparing your feeling after the test to the feeling after your practice tests -- our memories tend to filter out bad feelings with the passage of time and we usually have feel that "things weren't that bad" about more distant events. What I mean is that maybe you already forgot how you actually felt after your practice tests so the comparison between post-practice and post-test feeling will not be fully accurate.

Hang in there and try to distract yourself!

August 27th test PS section was apparently very Gen Chem heavy T_T, why couldn't we have that :(

Members don't see this ad :)
trust me you don't want that piece of crap lol

My Gen Chem abilities >>>>>> Physics, I would prefer Gen Chem over physics any day personally :p, but I hear your VR was difficult so that might be a deal breaker

Opened my anatomy textbook for class, only saw the words "gap junction" and freaked out about getting my score back. This wait sucks

Last edited:
I searched SDN and couldn't find a conclusive answer...I just got verified and received a bunch of secondaries. Should I go ahead and turn them in right away or wait until scores come out? I don't want them to start considering me with my old score.

I searched SDN and couldn't find a conclusive answer...I just got verified and received a bunch of secondaries. Should I go ahead and turn them in right away or wait until scores come out? I don't want them to start considering me with my old score.
They won't rule you out. I suggest sending your secondaries the week of September 8. They know when your MCAT score is coming out. They'll have a week to receive your secondaries and get you filed. They'll wait until judgement day.

(I didn't take this test but I just saw your post and thought I'd reply.)
If you've indicated on your primary application that you're taking a second test, the school won't review your application until your second score is in. I think it's a good idea to use this period to start cranking out secondaries and being productive instead of waiting around for your score.

I've signed up for a retake on the 18th (last day of MCAT to apply for this application cycle), but I've started working and I really don't feel like studying PS again (cause I felt I got like an 8 or 7), I go between thinking ther has got to be a curve and I never got below an 11 on a practice test, can't have gotten THAT bad...right..? All the way to my god why am I not stuyding for my retake, it'll be worse than whatever score I get if I don't prepare!

"Sometimes I think I should do crystal meth. But then I think, 'nahhhhh betta not.'"

^^ sums up my feelings about waiting for my score.

Its important everyone to find things to distract you from waiting for your scores.

The last day or so for me it has been the JLaw pics

My scores come out tomorrow, and I couldn't care less #thefappening
RR9TCee.jpg

The three day weekend reawakened my anxiety over these scores. Ugh.

Hopeless/hopeful/delusional/desperate/terrified/fatalistic/depressed etc sums up how i'll keep feeling for the next two weeks.

Who would have thought that a standardized test checking your understanding of translational motion could evoke such existential angst...

Reading that thread and all the unexpected scores below FL AAMC averages makes me super sad and nervous

I'm trying to tell myself that there must have been hundreds of people taking the MCAT that day and maybe we don't get a representative sample here on SDN... But still... :(

You know only outliers will post their scores. People who did exceptionally well will want to brag, and people who did exceptionally poorly will post to try and scare everyone else. Misery loves company.
So I'm trying not to look up any scores on here...

First time posting.

I'm really nervous to see how I did on PS. IMO, it was the hardest one I've done (did all the AAMC practice tests). By the end, I had to strategically guess on about 4 questions, and by strategically, I mean "when in doubt pick C".

But hey, I figured, if I was going to get anything out of that experience, it would be a $30 Amazon gift-card, amirite?

Reactions: 3 users
Wasnt early august easier tests? if so that means no curve, and no curve always means a bad time because small mistakes (which everyone will make on test day) really hurt you.

I agree ^^ and, the majority of the posts seem fairly positive. We cannot compare apples and oranges, guys. Just that they're fruit! If you follow me, even if it was lame ;)

I agree ^^ and, the majority of the posts seem fairly positive. We cannot compare apples and oranges, guys. Just that they're fruit! If you follow me, even if it was lame ;)
The mistakes I know I made werent knowledge mistakes, they were spur of the moment, stupid mistakes, mistakes I would make regardless of difficulty.

The mistakes I know I made werent knowledge mistakes, they were spur of the moment, stupid mistakes, mistakes I would make regardless of difficulty.
I TOTALLY AGREE ^^ That is exactly what happened to me. For example "how much did x decrease by?" I found that the answer was, for example (not an actual answer), 60% of the original...so I put 60%....but it DECREASED by 40%. :bang::bang::bang::bang: FML

I TOTALLY AGREE ^^ That is exactly what happened to me. For example "how much did x decrease by?" I found that the answer was, for example (not an actual answer), 60% of the original...so I put 60%....but it DECREASED by 40%. :bang::bang::bang::bang: FML

Hmmm. I don't remember this. I remember two particular proportions problems.. and it is probable that I made such a mistake. Like TBRBiosadist said, that would be my common mistake... Not reading thoroughly. ~sigh

Hmmm. I don't remember this. I remember two particular proportions problems.. and it is probable that I made such a mistake. Like TBRBiosadist said, that would be my common mistake... Not reading thoroughly. ~sigh

I thought the P.S was so hard. I scored on my practice btw 8-10 and I hit a 12 at one time am expecting a 6 on actual

I seriously need a distractor all I can think about is getting my MCAT score back. I spend countless hours on SDN looking for signs of hope by looking at the August 1st and 2nd thread

Since we're less than 2 weeks away might as well start the ball rolling on predictions

FL AAMC Average - 35.8ish (PS/VR/BS) - (12.5/10.5/12.9) (AAMC 9-11 = 36-38)
Post-Test Feeling (PS/VR/BS) - (10/11/12)
Feeling Now - (PS/VR/BS) - (8/9/10)

Probably feeling before getting my results back - (7/7/7)