The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

TPR released a very long addendum that fills in a large amount of gaps that were in their book, so once you add that in their book is pretty comprehensive.

Is this addendum online? I just ordered my TPR Psych/Soc book and it is in the mail, I just want to make sure I get the most out of it.

Yep! Once you register your book it'll be up there.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how is this book working for you in the sociology section? I've had three psych classes, but the only intro to sociology class I took was a bit of a joke curriculum-wise, so I'm planning on doing all my learning from this TPR book and Khan Academy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how is this book working for you in the sociology section? I've had three psych classes, but the only intro to sociology class I took was a bit of a joke curriculum-wise, so I'm planning on doing all my learning from this TPR book and Khan Academy.

Sociology itself is pretty easy to learn on a superficial level. TPR is fine for this section!

Do you guys take any notes on the KA videos? My study materials have YET to come in (TBR isn't coming in for a while because I wrote a check... screw that 10-day waiting period), so I'm gonna be abusing the crap out of the free videos until then. The info is really basic thus far but I feel like I should take notes anyway? Am I just wasting time doing that?

Also, what can I do with the energy points given after doing practice passages and watching videos? Free MCAT stuff? Bonus points given at the end of my real exam? I really hope the latter because I'm gonna need it.

Also, what can I do with the energy points given after doing practice passages and watching videos? Free MCAT stuff? Bonus points given at the end of my real exam? I really hope the latter because I'm gonna need it.

change your avatar

I'm still in my first week of studying, but I completely underestimated the mental exhaustion that accompanies MCAT prep. I've been studying consistently for 6-8 hours per day. Call me crazy, but I think the best part is testing yourself and doing the TBR passages. I dislike plain content review. It's like sitting in lecture or studying for a generic undergrad exam. But, the passages are where the MCAT prep gets somewhat interesting!

Haha. If only the AAMC was generous enough to put the Khan points as bonus points on our real exams! I think they're just there as Khan Academy's learning objective or something so that you can keep track of how you're doing. And the 100 points for passage "completion" are for encouragement.

Haha. If only the AAMC was generous enough to put the Khan points as bonus points on our real exams! I think they're just there as Khan Academy's learning objective or something so that you can keep track of how you're doing. And the 100 points for passage "completion" are for encouragement.
I considered taking notes on each of Khan Academy's videos. Then I saw how comprehensive their material was and how dense the material is. Not gonna waste my time with writing notes now...

Taking it August 6th!

I'm using: EK set, TPR set, AAMC FL, Khan Academy videos, and whatever else AAMC puts up.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you guys been or are you planning to read research papers regularly as preparation? I keep hearing how helpful it is for passage analysis but there's only so much time in the day. I had an undergrad class that focused heavily on interpereting research papers and thoroughly breaking them down usually took a few hours

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys been or are you planning to read research papers regularly as preparation? I keep hearing how helpful it is for passage analysis but there's only so much time in the day. I had an undergrad class that focused heavily on interpereting research papers and thoroughly breaking them down usually took a few hours

You definitely don't need to read scientific papers, then.

The problem is that more people taking the MCAT have not had that same experience than I would have thought, considering most of us take upper level science courses. The people who might need to get that practice reading scientific papers are those who have never had to do so during undergrad. You've had that experience, you're good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
All my prep material finally arrived today. I'm officially going to start studying tomorrow for the August 22nd test.

Just signed up for the August 22nd exam. I started somewhat studying almost 2 weeks ago good luck everyone!

Will anybody be taking the test before completing the recommended classes? If so what are you using to supplement your studying?

Will anybody be taking the test before completing the recommended classes? If so what are you using to supplement your studying?

There's a good chunk that my bio and biochem classes did not cover: primarily anatomy/physiology and metabolic pathways respectively.

Hey y'all! I'm taking the test Aug 22nd using Kaplan full set plus EK biochem as I haven't taken that class yet. Applying next cycle but wanted to get the mcat out of the way!! Already behind on my study schedule but doubling up so I can catch up!

I haven't taken biochem, I'm just using Kaplan, Khan and any other materials I can find on the internet. I also haven't taken sociology yet but hopefully my Kaplan book will provide enough information

So we all know amino acids are important, what criteria should we actually memorize?
Structure, grouping (aromatic, polar, acidic etc), polarity, hydrophobic/philic, charge, pH, their 3 letter (and one letter?) acronyms? Some of these are answered in the "grouping" category but I'm just trying to cover all my bases. Am I missing anything?

I'm looking at tables online so I have something concise to review regularly but I might just make my own since I can't seem to find one that has all the details explictly laid out.

So we all know amino acids are important, what criteria should we actually memorize?
Structure, grouping (aromatic, polar, acidic etc), polarity, hydrophobic/philic, charge, pH, their 3 letter (and one letter?) acronyms? Some of these are answered in the "grouping" category but I'm just trying to cover all my bases. Am I missing anything?

I'm looking at tables online so I have something concise to review regularly but I might just make my own since I can't seem to find one that has all the details explictly laid out.

All of the above!

I plan on taking the mcat on august 22nd. I started my prep today by taking the AAMC sample test to get a feel of how the exam should be and also to determine my weak areas. I have not reviewed the question as I plan on retaking it a couple of weeks before my exam to simulate real testing conditions, but here are my prelim scores with no studying

Chem/ Phys: 73%
CARS : 72%
Bio/ Biochem: 69%
Psych/ Soc: 41%

I know my scores aren't the best but I'm extremely hopeful and excited to see how I improve with content review and practice. I'm particularly excited about psych/soc because I have never taken psych or sociology.

I plan to use Khan academy (videos and passages), TBR Bio II that I got from my friend, Barron's Psych, and AAMC content outline and study materials. Oh and also the TPR exams online. MY friend gave me the access code from him book so I can get those 3 online exams. Anything on the outline that I don't get I plan to look it up on google/youtube.

Good luck with your studying everyone.

Taking it August 22nd! Started about 2 weeks ago. Trying to get through all the content I'm weak in and then gonna start hitting practice passages. How's everyone else doing?

August 21st test date. I started gathering my study materials beginning of May and since then, it's been a much slower journey than I imagined. I need to pick up the pace. I'm getting worried about not having enough time left bc I'm so slow at content reviewing. I just finished going through the PR Psych/Soc book but plan on re-reviewing key terms/names just to make sure they're drilled in my head. I want to finish all content review by beginning/mid-July and leave August solely for practice.

August 21st test date. I started gathering my study materials beginning of May and since then, it's been a much slower journey than I imagined. I need to pick up the pace. I'm getting worried about not having enough time left bc I'm so slow at content reviewing. I just finished going through the PR Psych/Soc book but plan on re-reviewing key terms/names just to make sure they're drilled in my head. I want to finish all content review by beginning/mid-July and leave August solely for practice.

It's taking me a lot longer than I was hoping to get through content reviewing as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

It's taking me a lot longer than I was hoping to get through content reviewing as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
We're all trudging through it slowly but surely! I think it's best to have material really seep in and understand it rather than rushing through it all in a couple weeks. Hopefully in a month's time we'll all be well into practice. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I've never taken Biochem and it's taking foreverrrrr to get through a single chapter of metabolism. There's just so much to know! Enzyme here, intermediate there, products, reactants...

It's taking me a while, yes, but hopefully I can understand the basics now and review it again and again after I put it into practice.

I've never taken Biochem and it's taking foreverrrrr to get through a single chapter of metabolism. There's just so much to know! Enzyme here, intermediate there, products, reactants...

It's taking me a while, yes, but hopefully I can understand the basics now and review it again and again after I put it into practice.

Don't feel bad: you really can't learn everything about metabolism or even genetics in just one or even two days when it is the first time you are learning it.

I'm only a week and a half in and I feel so defeated already. There's so much information and I keep getting hung up over the tiniest things while reviewing content.

Reactions: 1 users
Me too, I'm already a ways behind schedule because reading the ch and doing the passages takes much much longer than I expected. Starting to feel anxious about timing too, like content review will take up too much time. I'm finding things like doubling up or rushing with the material isn't really possible when it comes to mcat studying.

Same with studying late in to the night. I did a passage late last night and got them nearly all wrong and realized sleep might be a little important for MCAT prep.

BUT at least we are all having this problem and aren't alone. It probably also means this is common, hopefully once we all get in to the swing of things we'll start getting through things like passages faster.

I'm thinking content review will take 8 weeks instead of originally planned 6. But I'll still have another 8 weeks after than (already in third week of content review). Kind of wondering I am being inefficient or if my prerequisites were inadequate.

I also think the fact that most of our exams are still a little under 3 months away hasn't truly hit us yet. It obviously isn't THAT far away if you think about it, but my sister is telling me that I'm in a mood that's "too chill" at the moment and I'm not as serious as I need to be yet, because I lowkey feel like I have a lot of time still... think she's right even though I have been "studying" daily... my efficiency hasn't been to its fullest potential. It's not even the huge content overload at this point so early in the game, it's just my attitude :bang:. I'm getting distracted too easily and telling myself it's all good that I didn't hit all my goals today, I can do it tomorrow - like no! Cannot pull that **** anymore because I'll only have myself to blame when I get screwed over on August 22nd.
If you're in a similar position, I FEEL YOU BRO. We need to really kick ourselves in the ass and get to it! WE CAN DO IT. (Stop reading this post and go back to content review :p).

Reactions: 5 users
I have 10 weeks until my test and I'm afraid content review is going to take up a lot more time than I originally planned. Also...I've never in a bio classed learned about human anatomy so the fact that one of EKs bio books is the different systems in the human body terrifies me...g'ahh

I also think the fact that most of our exams are still a little under 3 months away hasn't truly hit us yet. It obviously isn't THAT far away if you think about it, but my sister is telling me that I'm in a mood that's "too chill" at the moment and I'm not as serious as I need to be yet, because I lowkey feel like I have a lot of time still... think she's right even though I have been "studying" daily... my efficiency hasn't been to its fullest potential. It's not even the huge content overload at this point so early in the game, it's just my attitude :bang:. I'm getting distracted too easily and telling myself it's all good that I didn't hit all my goals today, I can do it tomorrow - like no! Cannot pull that **** anymore because I'll only have myself to blame when I get screwed over on August 22nd.
If you're in a similar position, I FEEL YOU BRO. We need to really kick ourselves in the ass and get to it! WE CAN DO IT. (Stop reading this post and go back to content review :p).

THIS. I'm freaking out about the exam being "3 months away" because I /know/ how fast that'll come up, but my actions and my wandering mind says otherwise. I haven't been hitting my daily goals and I've been falling asleep throughout the day periodically when I get tired. Like no. I would never let myself pull that crap in college during exam season. It's hard getting yourself motivated. Real hard.

Reactions: 2 users
I have 10 weeks until my test and I'm afraid content review is going to take up a lot more time than I originally planned. Also...I've never in a bio classed learned about human anatomy so the fact that one of EKs bio books is the different systems in the human body terrifies me...g'ahh

same story here: we learned about plants, sponges, and animal phylums in my bio class :uhno:

Worst case scenario I think I'll have to postpone my MCAT until September, but going to keep studying as if I'll be taking it in August.

Over 4500 questions!! If anyone is having problem finding practice problems, I have over 4500 questions that I will be doing after I'm doing after I'm done with content review. Only $260 since I qualified for the Fee Assistance Program, and Khan Academy is free. They are as follows:

120 questions from the AAMC official guide (FAP)
~900 questions from KA (Free)
~900 questions from 4 NextStep books ($125)
230 questions from official AAMC FL (FAP)
690 questions from 3 Kaplan FLs (Came with books)
720 questions from AAMC question packs(FAP)
~1260 questions from Kaplan 7 book series ($130,15Q at the end of every chapter. I am currently doing these now after every chapter, but I am skipping the ones that are calculation heavy or completely random)

This could go definitely go over 6000 questions if more updated stuff is available in late July or early August, which I'm sure it will since Kaplan is releasing an updated book series in early July and other prep companies might release updated FL and question packs. I also know there are other ½ length diagnostics and FLs from Kaplan, TPR, and NextStep that are out now.

My point is that there is no shortage of material, only official material: a golden age for prep companies for the next couple of years, until there's a sizeable AAMC FL collection.

Also, if you bought the Kaplan books and checked them in using kaptest.com, you get access to the flashcard app with all the terms, simply log in with your credentials you used on the Kaplan website on the app.

The reason why questions are important is because the MCAT isn't just content review, that's only half of it, the other important part is doing questions to reiterate understanding. Don't worry about not knowing every single detail now, after doing several dozen questions, it will come to you naturally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,
22 Aug here too!
What practise exams are you guys doing?
And anyone working and studying at the same time? The hours are killing me...

Hi all,
22 Aug here too!
Yep im working as a CDC public health analyst at a major airport quarantine station for the division of global migration and quarantine for the ebola outbreak....yep my hands are full....3 months should be good if you go 10 hours a day....

Also for people applying this year to DO schools.

august is NOT late its actually pretty normal. As the saying goes....if its snowing south of the mason dixon line yes then you are late, until then you are ok with average stats.....after septemberish things get tricky for DO schools since lots of rejects get notified for MD and then all of a sudden DO becomes more appealing.....so chill out if youre doing DO, :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When are you guys going to start taking full lengths? Not sure if I should wait until the end of my content review or take one half way through my review something like that.

When are you guys going to start taking full lengths? Not sure if I should wait until the end of my content review or take one half way through my review something like that.

I might take one or two within my content review and then take one every week following that. I really want to build endurance for test day.

Hi all,
22 Aug here too!

I'm using the AAMC FL (duh), 3 TPR Exams that came with my psych/soc book, 5 CARS-specific exams from Testing Solutions, and I'll likely buy the 3 EK's FLs since I've heard that they're the next best thing to the AAMC FL.

I actually quit one of my 3 (very part-time) jobs to make time for the MCAT and am living off savings to make this work. Getting into med school is priority 1 for me, not mediocre wages. But I am still finishing up my school year since I'm on the quarter system. I won't actually crank into full gear until after final exams in mid-june :/ So I totally feel you with trying to do multiple things at once.