The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it even possible to get better at CARS? Every time I do practice for it I get more discouraged...

I honestly have no clue, but I'm seriously just hoping to hit a 127 on test day and just capitalize on the sciences. I feel like CARS is just a hit or miss. You either get it or you don't. But just as a general rule of thumb, this is the strategy I've been using:

1) Timing:1:30-1:11-52-33-14-done (19-min per 2 passages)
2) 5 second breathers between passages
3) no highlighting
4) Inference: beware extremes and pay attention to neutral softeners
5) weaken/strengthen: strong language is good!
6) new info: take as true, base off main idea/argument
7) thesis/main idea: 1st paragraph/encompassing/broad/general
8) RTFQ (Read the question)~and try and POE all the way

In all honesty, I wouldn't buy into those weird company strategies. With the new format, it seems that less might be actually more. I feel like CARS just comes down to three things: Timing, understanding what you just read, and Correctly POEing all the way. I'm still having trouble finishing, but I'm hoping by doing more of these full lengths I'll be getting that timing sequence down to a tee and seeing a jump in scores (hopefully).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sigh, I just came back from an extended weekend vacation yesterday and trying to get back in to the MCAT prep grind is challenging now that I've been reminded how fun it is to not study. :(:help:

Hey guys, Aug 22nd here as well. Just started doing some FL's and if anyone is interested here are some of my scores:

Kaplan Diagnostic: 127/125/126/125=503
Kaplan FL1: 123/123/125/126=497
Kaplan FL2: 126/125/126/122=499
TPR FL1: 127/124/126/124=501

Obviously, got a long way to go, but I'd really be interested in hearing about other people's progress, thoughts on FL difficulty, and any opinions on any effective/time-saving methods to reviewing these exams (if at all). Ideally, I'd love to go over every question and really understand the logic behind all right and wrong answers, but I feel like maybe my time would be better spent just going over marked, between two, and incorrectly POE'd questions for company FL's and just review the AAMC material more extensively. I've heard Kaplan and TPR FL's kinda suck, so I figured it'd be best to just take them with a grain of salt, focus on weak areas, and just taking as many as I can before taking the AAMC question packs and FL 3 weeks before the big day.

Best of luck studying guys!
I took TPR FL 1 too, and got a 502. :( I thought it was pretty hard, especially CARS, which I'm usually good at. I've read a ton of dry philosophy, but some of those passages really boggled me.
You have any other thoughts on the test?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I took TPR FL 1 too, and got a 502. :( I thought it was pretty hard, especially CARS, which I'm usually good at. I've read a ton of dry philosophy, but some of those passages really boggled me.
You have any other thoughts on the test?

Hi Pusheen, I think you shouldn't be too discouraged! Personally, I'm just taking these exams with a grain of salt because at the end of the day, its only the AAMC logic/questions that matter. Just use these harder FL's as a learning tool to find your weak areas and confront them head on! As for CARS, I personally suck at it too and I think it's what's holding me back from scoring higher in the Bio section, which is weird since I'm a physiology major lol. As for study method, if you've finished most of your content already I'd definitely give this post a quick look, as it gave me some perspective on how to approach this exam. Obviously, save the AAMC stuff towards the latter end of your prep, but I'd definitely just try to get the timing down and try to increase your raw scores as much as you can!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ints-in-2-months-—-the-spinach-method.988678/

August 22 here. Retaker.

My advice:
Read a lot of books
Stay off SDN
Do a lot of questions
Time yourself but never look at the time
Review the solutions for every question you do

Hey TexasSurgeon, are you still using TBR for prep this time around?

MCAT physics is kicking my butt I hate studying for it the most out of all the other subjects. My physics classes in undergrad were a joke and im realizing I actually didn't learn anything lol...Do you guys have any tips for studying physics and dealing with all those equations? Im currently using the Kaplan book and can barely stay awake reading it.

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT physics is kicking my butt I hate studying for it the most out of all the other subjects. My physics classes in undergrad were a joke and im realizing I actually didn't learn anything lol...Do you guys have any tips for studying physics and dealing with all those equations? Im currently using the Kaplan book and can barely stay awake reading it.

Physics at my undergrad was feared by most science/engineer majors. The averages on our finals were rarely passing and they were never curved =/.

UNDERSTAND relationships for the equations. Try to reason your way why it works out and solve the equation using units.
Knowing units and equations well definitely helps. I remember for the old MCAT (I voided it), my PS practice sections went up 3 points once I started doing that on a daily basis.

Physics at my undergrad was feared by most science/engineer majors. The averages on our finals were rarely passing and they were never curved =/.

UNDERSTAND relationships for the equations. Try to reason your way why it works out and solve the equation using units.
Knowing units and equations well definitely helps. I remember for the old MCAT (I voided it), my PS practice sections went up 3 points once I started doing that on a daily basis.

Dreamstoo hits the nail on the head. Definitely just memorize your equations, and know them down COLD. What you'll start to notice is that questions are really only presented in three ways: 1) pure calculation 2) physical phenomenon (in relation to equations) 3) using proportionality (direct and indirect) to draw relationships. Scores will definitely increase by simply just knowing the equations and how to apply them.

Thank you! I will definitely try this. The amount of equations per chapter is pretty intimidating...cannot wait to be done with this test!

Dreamstoo hits the nail on the head. Definitely just memorize your equations, and know them down COLD. What you'll start to notice is that questions are really only presented in three ways: 1) pure calculation 2) physical phenomenon (in relation to equations) 3) using proportionality (direct and indirect) to draw relationships. Scores will definitely increase by simply just knowing the equations and how to apply them.

Totally agree with this.

Thank you! I will definitely try this. The amount of equations per chapter is pretty intimidating...cannot wait to be done with this test!

Yes, in terms of overall the amount of information needed to be understood feels far more than the old test.

I'm signed up for a July test but I'm heavily contemplating taking an August test despite applying this year. I just don't feel as ready as I should be 1.5 months out.

I had the same problem when it came to physics and I was using the Kaplan Book as well. What helped me significantly was wikipremed. I highly recommend it if your struggling with Physics or Gen Chem. It used to be my least favorite subject and now I love it thanks to him! I will say though that it does take awhile to watch his videos but it's worth it.

What are you guys using to practice CARS? I'm using TPR Verbal Book and Next Step Strategy book. So far, I've realized that NS is awful and TPR is definitely much better. Any other recommendations (besides the AAMC Qpack) ? Also, after trying many strategies, what helped me with CARS was just reading the passage in a sane and focused manner and jotting down a one phrase main idea immediately afterwards. Then, I do the questions and it has improved my score a lot. Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Practically everyday is a day where I simply don't want to do anything. I need to motivate myself better.

Yeah I am but not yet. Goal is to go through my TPR stuff first

How you feeling about their FLs? I think they are harder than what the real MCAT will probably be like. Did 3 FLs so far. I'm likely taking it in July but considering one of the earlier August dates.

So far the only EK 30 min practice that I've done well on was the one that had to do with organic (got all of them right!), too bad there probably won't be much orgo :(

How you feeling about their FLs? I think they are harder than what the real MCAT will probably be like. Did 3 FLs so far. I'm likely taking it in July but considering one of the earlier August dates.
I'm actually taking their first TPR FL this Saturday, so I'll post back here and update you. But TPR is notorious for having much more difficult tests. I wouldn't base anything off the score I get though. Just use it for the practice. Just do a lot of questions and review thoroughly

Do you know if the TPR FLs are different from the 3 "free" FL's that their books always say you get?

I'm actually taking their first TPR FL this Saturday, so I'll post back here and update you. But TPR is notorious for having much more difficult tests. I wouldn't base anything off the score I get though. Just use it for the practice. Just do a lot of questions and review thoroughly

Do you know if the TPR FLs are different from the 3 "free" FL's that their books always say you get?

Not sure I took TPR course tests 1-3. Was planning to take the 4th one this week but I'm taking some advice from people I know. Someone decided to wait a few weeks until she took another FL after spending 3-4 weeks instead of just a 2 week break in between and saw a significant increase in score. Most likely taking 2-3 FLs before early July though but at the end of June.

Not sure I took TPR course tests 1-3. Was planning to take the 4th one this week but I'm taking some advice from people I know. Someone decided to wait a few weeks until she took another FL after spending 3-4 weeks instead of just a 2 week break in between and saw a significant increase in score. Most likely taking 2-3 FLs before early July though but at the end of June.
Ah okay.
Yeah give yourself breaks adequately. My break day is on Sundays and I can tell how tired I progressively get Monday-Saturday

Help with CARS!

So I usually keep missing two questions and I'm wondering what strategies y'all do or have any advice!

I'm taking TPR course, and I do not like their verbal strategies, I feel like looking at each question makes me feel more
nervous and same when I map the passage...

Any advice?

Help with CARS!

So I usually keep missing two questions and I'm wondering what strategies y'all do or have any advice!

I'm taking TPR course, and I do not like their verbal strategies, I feel like looking at each question makes me feel more
nervous and same when I map the passage...

Any advice?

I usually just look for specific retrieval questions when I use their strategy. Like questions about what does this "Word" mean? Then I just make sure I highlight it just to make sure I know where to go back.

I personally do not like mapping anymore. I tried a technique of just reading/highlighting then answering the questions. Mapping takes up SO much time IMO.

Hey guys, I've bought every practice test out there at this point. I have a total of 35 practice exams (11 kaplan, 5 nextstep, 5 gold standard, 3 examkrakers, and 11 TPR tests). Hoping to finish all of them by Aug 6th (2 months), this likely wont happen but I will try to go through as many as I can. I'll keep you guys updated with my scores and my thoughts on each exam.

I just took my first one:
TPR Review Test 1: 501 (125/126/126/124)

Phys/Chem: Most passages were NOT based on a biological system. There was very little biochem. I think this was the least representative section. But still good practice if you're weak on physics/chem content.

CARS: Overall it was a good quality CARS section, fairly representative passages/question stems.

Bio/Biochem: a bit on the easier end. More physiology focused, and Biochem Weak.

Psych/Soc: The passages and the experimental setups were good quality, but I felt like you didnt really need the passages to answer most questions. Too many "Free Standing Questions" embedded in the passages. But it was good practice for analyzing experimental setup.

Overall I think this was a good test to take for practice/timing/brushing up on content. If there is anything you would like me to comment on regarding this exam, or the rest of the 34 that I will be sharing my thoughts on, let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I've bought every practice test out there at this point. I have a total of 35 practice exams (11 kaplan, 5 nextstep, 5 gold standard, 3 examkrakers, and 11 TPR tests). Hoping to finish all of them by Aug 6th (2 months), this likely wont happen but I will try to go through as many as I can. I'll keep you guys updated with my scores and my thoughts on each exam.

I just took my first one:
TPR Review Test 1: 501 (125/126/126/124)

Phys/Chem: Most passages were NOT based on a biological system. There was very little biochem. I think this was the least representative section. But still good practice if you're weak on physics/chem content.

CARS: Overall it was a good quality CARS section, fairly representative passages/question stems.

Bio/Biochem: a bit on the easier end. More physiology focused, and Biochem Weak.

Psych/Soc: The passages and the experimental setups were good quality, but I felt like you didnt really need the passages to answer most questions. Too many "Free Standing Questions" embedded in the passages. But it was good practice for analyzing experimental setup.

Overall I think this was a good test to take for practice/timing/brushing up on content. If there is anything you would like me to comment on regarding this exam, or the rest of the 34 that I will be sharing my thoughts on, let me know.

I'm actually literally doing the same thing as you. Check out this schedule I made, it's pretty much based off spinach method.

Attachments

• MCAT schedule.xlsx
    58.9 KB · Views: 131
Whats a spinach method lol

haha my bad, its from this dude's old post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ints-in-2-months-—-the-spinach-method.988678/

He basically just emphasized using a lot of secondary exams to raise his score by practicing his timing/strategy. I've been studying for a while now, so I'm just gonna be running through these exams as much as I can to build stamina and get really comfortable sitting down and actually taking these long exams.

haha my bad, its from this dude's old post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ints-in-2-months-—-the-spinach-method.988678/

He basically just emphasized using a lot of secondary exams to raise his score by practicing his timing/strategy. I've been studying for a while now, so I'm just gonna be running through these exams as much as I can to build stamina and get really comfortable sitting down and actually taking these long exams.

Oh ok. I thought it was some kind of Popeye reference lol. Thanks for the summary, there was no way I was going to read all of that. I'm in the same situation as you, basically done with content review, now im just focusing on sitting through 7 hours, and brushing up on strategy. What exams have you taken so far, and what did you think of them?

Oh ok. I thought it was some kind of Popeye reference lol. Thanks for the summary, there was no way I was going to read all of that. I'm in the same situation as you, basically done with content review, now im just focusing on sitting through 7 hours, and brushing up on strategy. What exams have you taken so far, and what did you think of them?

So far I've taken the Kaplan diagnostic, TPR course test 1, Kaplan FL's 1 and 2 and I'm about to finish off Kaplan 8 as individual section exams.

As far as these exams go I definitely think they suck at having any predictive value, but they're awesome to see what you know and practice your timing. With the exception of TPR verbal, Kaplan's test are definitely harder, but then again I've only taken exams 1-2, which are probably made to be hard on purpose to make sure they fulfill their "guarantee of a higher score". In my opinion, I would definitely just take the scores with a grain of salt, and just run through as many as you can like you said, then just take the AAMC towards the end and gain some confidence before the real thing.

For those of you who take notes, do you type them out or write them in a notebook?

The computer is better for legibility and graphs etc but notebooks are way more convenient plus they don't have the accompanying distraction of the internet.
I haven't been taking notes because it's time consuming but I'm not retaining things as well by just reading and underlining. Does the note taking really help? or do you never even go back to look at them?

For those of you who take notes, do you type them out or write them in a notebook?

The computer is better for legibility and graphs etc but notebooks are way more convenient plus they don't have the accompanying distraction of the internet.
I haven't been taking notes because it's time consuming but I'm not retaining things as well by just reading and underlining. Does the note taking really help? or do you never even go back to look at them?
I've been taking notes in a notebook. I don't take a lot of notes, usually I just copy down formulas, charts, or graphs. I also make flashcards on the computer using Anki to help me learn basic terms and concepts. I don't think taking extensive notes is very helpful for the MCAT because there is so much information.

I've been taking notes in a notebook. I don't take a lot of notes, usually I just copy down formulas, charts, or graphs. I also make flashcards on the computer using Anki to help me learn basic terms and concepts. I don't think taking extensive notes is very helpful for the MCAT because there is so much information.

I feel the same way too, I didn't know if it was worth it to write extensive notes because I feel like I'd never go back to review them. I have been jotting down formulas and such so perhaps, I'll move all that to a notebook so it's more organized. Thanks for the feedback!

I take paper notes. I try to make them really concise-- I only write down stuff that I didn't already know pretty well. I end up with about a page (one side) per EK chapter. I do review them and I'll be rereading them as the exam gets closer.

I've been typing notes, printing them, and gluing them into a composition notebook. I read through them once or twice after reading a chapter. I also make notes of my missed questions from practicing.

I make flashcards of every equation that I will need to know (via The Spinach Method) and will narrow them down as time goes by (ones that I don't see over and over will stay.) Also, MAKE SURE you know Newton's Laws. I feel like those are pretty damn important to know. I will make sure to learn them within the next few days.

I take notes on practice problems in TBR and Kaplan. I attempt the practice questions with the notes that I have written down. If I can't find it out, I look up the answer BUT WITHOUT looking at the solution (how they answered the question.)

Anyone else bored of content review and can't wait to start doing FLs and passage questions? I thought I would spend 8-10 hours a day on content review, but I've already learned a majority of what I'm reviewing, so I only spend 2-4 hours a day instead.

Anyone else bored of content review and can't wait to start doing FLs and passage questions? I thought I would spend 8-10 hours a day on content review, but I've already learned a majority of what I'm reviewing, so I only spend 2-4 hours a day instead.
I feel the same way. Content review is so boring, I just want to move on and start focusing on practice tests and passages. Unfortunately I still have like two more weeks of content review.

I feel the same way. Content review is so boring, I just want to move on and start focusing on practice tests and passages. Unfortunately I still have like two more weeks of content review.

Same here, I have over 10000 questions lined up. I guess that will really make sure I am good with content and passage questions.

Same here, I have over 10000 questions lined up. I guess that will really make sure I am good with content and passage questions.

just skip it and go straight to questions at this point, TRUST ME, its a much more efficient use of your time.

If you don't mind me asking, other than the FLs, which other passages & practice questions do you have lined up?

I'm finding myself so unmotivated by the end of a week of content review. It's just so blehh. But at the same time I'm not confident enough in my practice question scores to gloss over it. So I'll be sticking to my hours upon hours of review, in hopes that the things I am not retaining get stuck in there eventually. How have y'all been doing CARS review/practice?

I'm finding myself so unmotivated by the end of a week of content review. It's just so blehh. But at the same time I'm not confident enough in my practice question scores to gloss over it. So I'll be sticking to my hours upon hours of review, in hopes that the things I am not retaining get stuck in there eventually. How have y'all been doing CARS review/practice?

I haven't done any passages, but I've been reading The NYT and scientific articles to improve my comprehension and speed. The Kaplan book just has a bunch of tips in it, not any real passages. I'm using NS, AAMC CARS Vol. 1&2, and my FLs to get enough practice for the real deal.

If you don't mind me asking, other than the FLs, which other passages & practice questions do you have lined up?

AAMC Question Packs (720 Qs)
NS books (920 Qs)
Official Guide (120 Qs)
Kaplan Freemium QBank (175 Qs)
EK 1001 Packs (4004 Qs)
EK 101 Verbal (101 Qs)
KA (2000 Qs)

Anyone getting stumped by test passages? I'm getting the content down for Kaplan (taking notes, flashcards to review, etc.), yet here's what happened to me:

Took Ch. 1 Gen Chem review questions (20 questions) and made a 40% before studying. After studying appropriately, I took the test again (several days later.) Made a 35%. That was a blow to my confidence and now I'm kinda freaking out...

I thought I had a good energy going and planned on finishing the night strong... but then got a heck of a nosebleed. Definitely hard to study while trying to not to bleed on everything. I think it's the universe's way of calling it a night.

I plan on doing a number of the EK 30 minute exams tomorrow. I hope they aren't too soul crushing.

Any thoughts on using Examkrackers' 1001 books? Thinking of buying the Chem, Physics, and Bio to reinforce concepts.

Any thoughts on using Examkrackers' 1001 books? Thinking of buying the Chem, Physics, and Bio to reinforce concepts.

They're okay, but I would stick more with new stuff if you can and just up the volume with passage work. Each section is almost 3/4's passage based, so it would make sense to do more passages since the answer is usually in the passage. Application is huge on this new exam.