The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Are doing all the KA passages worth it? I'm a little lost on how to continue studying for this exam, and I'm starting to burn out. Don't know if I should just keep doing practice exams, or just chill and switch to Khan and AAMC stuff now.

Have you been reading any research papers? You could always do that and just make they're papers on high yield topics that way you're both getting content review and practicing for the new passage style. I've also heard the Khan psychology videos are pretty good if you haven't seen those.

Which full length to take as my first full length? TPR (with the free test that come with the book), or GoldStandard or EK?
Any ideas on how to order EK (and how fast is the access granted?)

Have you been reading any research papers? You could always do that and just make they're papers on high yield topics that way you're both getting content review and practicing for the new passage style. I've also heard the Khan psychology videos are pretty good if you haven't seen those.

I havn't, but I heard it'd be a good idea to especially for the bio section. Where's a good source to get papers from? I've tried this once through pubmed, but I think you need a login to get access to most of them

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is everyone spending on memorizing the pathways? It's not bad memorizing the names of the substrates and enzymes, but should we know all of the structures too? Especially curious for the PPP.

Which full length to take as my first full length? TPR (with the free test that come with the book), or GoldStandard or EK?
Any ideas on how to order EK (and how fast is the access granted?)

I bought the EK one yesterday and had access in about 15ish minutes

Took Kaplan FL1 today..I'm pretty disappointed; 495. When I go over it tomorrow I'll have a better understanding as to why I scored low. I'm not done with content review so I guess that could be why.
5/30 NS DIAG 497
6/1 KA DIAG 497
6/8 TPR DEMO 499
6/20 TPR FL1 496
7/3 KA FL1 495

TBR has a biochemistry book out?? I've been using EC and that is no where near enough biochem so I'm turning to Khan as a cheap alternative. Any opinions on Khan biochem? (I have the old TPR set and the new EC set so I'm trying to minimize my spending on even more texts and reading...)

I have been using TBR's old Biochem book (Biology Book II, which covers 5 chapters: Microbiology, 2 Biochem, and 2 Genetics) and it seems to be sufficient. I, do, however, plan to supplement with Kaplan's Biochem for anything that might be missing. I think TBR's Organic II book is also good since i covers Carbohydrates and Amino compounds.

I haven't used Khan at all, so I don't know, sorry. But TBR has essentially 30 passages total on straight enzymes and biochem reactions. And as for the cheap alternative, I'm sure you could do some perusing on the internet...not that I'm condoning any sort of piracy.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been using TBR's old Biochem book (Biology Book II, which covers 5 chapters: Microbiology, 2 Biochem, and 2 Genetics) and it seems to be sufficient. I, do, however, plan to supplement with Kaplan's Biochem for anything that might be missing. I think TBR's Organic II book is also good since i covers Carbohydrates and Amino compounds.

I haven't used Khan at all, so I don't know, sorry. But TBR has essentially 30 passages total on straight enzymes and biochem reactions. And as for the cheap alternative, I'm sure you could do some perusing on the internet...not that I'm condoning any sort of piracy.
LOL I didn't bother getting TBR bio and verbal sets since they had seemed too detailed for the old MCAT, although that has since changed... I've really liked their stuff for the physical sciences and I'm at lost with what to use for biochem. so I'll definitely be looking into TBR, thank you!

Took Kaplan FL1 today..I'm pretty disappointed; 495. When I go over it tomorrow I'll have a better understanding as to why I scored low. I'm not done with content review so I guess that could be why.
5/30 NS DIAG 497
6/1 KA DIAG 497
6/8 TPR DEMO 499
6/20 TPR FL1 496
7/3 KA FL1 495
Don't beat yourself up to bad about your score on a Kaplan test. I think its been pretty well established that it isn't very indicative of the real thing and for the most part is much harder. Don't pay attention to the score and just use it to see what holes you have in your content review.

longtime lurker, aug 21 test date. Has anyone started taking the AAMC Question Packs yet? I just started and they seem weirdly easy, I'm wondering if that means I'm doing well with my prep or (more likely) they just aren't that representative of the real test. I've taken Bio 1 and Chem so far and scored about 90% both times. Anyone else have experience with them?

Started going through the first Bio question pack from AAMC. These passages are a waaaaay easier than the ones they have for the new MCAT. I also vaguely remember some of the passages from when I was taking full lengths for my first MCAT so I wouldn't rate these as anything more than a refresher on content.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I havn't, but I heard it'd be a good idea to especially for the bio section. Where's a good source to get papers from? I've tried this once through pubmed, but I think you need a login to get access to most of them

Usually, I'll search on pubmed and if I don't have access I just put the article tittle on google and most of the time it will pop up somewhere. You could try checking the authors website or emailing them but both can be hassles sometimes.
Are you near any universities? My advise would be to go to their library, get on their network and just download as many PDFs as you can.

I just found this website, haven't looked through it thoroughly but I pressed a few options and was able to get PDF's
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

How much is everyone spending on memorizing the pathways? It's not bad memorizing the names of the substrates and enzymes, but should we know all of the structures too? Especially curious for the PPP.

If you have time I would memorize the structures of molecules that appear frequently in the pathways. Through doing passages I've definitely come across some questions where the answers or questions are heavily structure based. It could speed up answering at least some questions on test day.

Reactions: 1 users
Started going through the first Bio question pack from AAMC. These passages are a waaaaay easier than the ones they have for the new MCAT. I also vaguely remember some of the passages from when I was taking full lengths for my first MCAT so I wouldn't rate these as anything more than a refresher on content.

I've been hearing this a lot. So are they not worth purchasing? or do you think they're still a good solid review?
Debating just replacing the question packs with another FL or something if it's not worth it.

Usually, I'll search on pubmed and if I don't have access I just put the article tittle on google and most of the time it will pop up somewhere. You could try checking the authors website or emailing them but both can be hassles sometimes.
Are you near any universities? My advise would be to go to their library, get on their network and just download as many PDFs as you can.

I just found this website, haven't looked through it thoroughly but I pressed a few options and was able to get PDF's
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

If you have time I would memorize the structures of molecules that appear frequently in the pathways. Through doing passages I've definitely come across some questions where the answers or questions are heavily structure based. It could speed up answering at least some questions on test day.

I would like to invite you to do a "journal article a day" with. Simply , I email you an link, you read the article, then send back 2 question. I also make and send you 2 question. Then we do a phone call (around 8pm cst), answering questions and intrepreting data.

I do this for pysc and bio. We can switch so one week i send the articles, next week, you do it.

PM if interested. i like people who are commitment, reliable and can do it. it does help a lot!

Hey guys! i need some advice. my exam date is aug 22 and i am still not done content review i have about 3 more kaplan books to read. do you think I should move the date or is it still doable?

Hey guys! i need some advice. my exam date is aug 22 and i am still not done content review i have about 3 more kaplan books to read. do you think I should move the date or is it still doable?

Kaplan books are extremely dense and are void of practice. I recommend that you switch to EK and push back your test date.

I've been hearing this a lot. So are they not worth purchasing? or do you think they're still a good solid review?
Debating just replacing the question packs with another FL or something if it's not worth it.

If you have the cash to spare/enough practice tests, I'd still recommend getting them to review content. I'm using them to spot any obvious weaknesses in my content before I start FL's.

I'm in the exact same situation. I still have bio, biochem, and psyc from the kaplan books, and my exam is on the same day. However, i think there's more than enough time.

I'm in the exact same situation. I still have bio, biochem, and psyc from the kaplan books, and my exam is on the same day. However, i think there's more than enough time.

Also in the same boat, I do Ch's from different books each day but still have a nice chunk of chapters to get through. I'm going to take a FL regardless of not finishing by mid July (i.e. really soon) but am debating switching to the September 12th test date, the 23rd would overlap with school too much so that's not really a possibility. I think it's possible to take the 8/22 test if you really manage your time and do FLs while finishing up content review but I also work so I don't know how feasible that it

I would like to invite you to do a "journal article a day" with. Simply , I email you an link, you read the article, then send back 2 question. I also make and send you 2 question. Then we do a phone call (around 8pm cst), answering questions and intrepreting data.

I do this for pysc and bio. We can switch so one week i send the articles, next week, you do it.

PM if interested. i like people who are commitment, reliable and can do it. it does help a lot!

Hi @orangeblue I'm actually not reading any papers at the moment (no time and I had a course that focused on interpreting papers so it is not a top priority atm) so wouldn't be the best option but thanks for the offer!

Hey guys, I was wondering what are the best prep books for the physical sciences section? I have TPR 2015 books and FL practice tests since I'm taking the TPR course which ends on July 10th.
If anyone who has done full length tests give some advice about the physical sci section that would be great as its my weakest section.

@makica30 It appears that TPR's Biochemistry is not adequate. People have been recommending Kaplan or TBR. See Compilation of Commentary on New MCAT 2015 on Reddit.

Thanks for this!

It really sucks though...I'm not sure whether to push my date back or not. If I manage to finish content review and some additional practice by the 15th, will about 30 days of taking FLs be enough.

Basically 1 day FL, 2nd day FL review and a few passages in weak areas etc. Is taking 10-12 FLs going to be enough?

Im taking the exam on aug 8 and I'm finishing up content review this week and hoping to do my first practice exam next monday (hopefully!) Content review is taking a lot more time then I thought it would, do you guys think I should push back my date or should I be fine?

Thanks for this!

It really sucks though...I'm not sure whether to push my date back or not. If I manage to finish content review and some additional practice by the 15th, will about 30 days of taking FLs be enough.

Basically 1 day FL, 2nd day FL review and a few passages in weak areas etc. Is taking 10-12 FLs going to be enough?

You're welcome :)

I was only planning on taking like 6-7, and I feel like 10-12 should be more than enough, but every person is different, see how you feel when you take the practice exams.

Hi guys August 22nd tester here. I am wrapping up my content review maybe 5 or 6 kaplan chapters left and I am planning on taking my first full length practice tomorrow. I have 3 kaplan exams but I heard they are really unrepresentative of the actual thing and have even heard someone say they would avoiding them to not demoralize them. That said would you guys recommend I just buy and take the EK practice exams followed by nextstep or TPR exams? thanks in advance for any responses

Regarding TPR exams - I know I've seen it answered before but I can't find it... Are you supposed to get three practice FLs with purchase of one of the TPR books? Or do you only get one? I got the Biology/Biochem book but only one FL is showing up on the TPR site. Any insight?

I have 3 kaplan exams but I heard they are really unrepresentative of the actual thing and have even heard someone say they would avoiding them to not demoralize them.

What I've read is, use them to build test stamina and review your answers to find weak content areas, but do not use the score as a predictor of how you'll do. Also when reviewing the correct answers try not to internalize their logic, because it won't align with AAMC's.

Regarding TPR exams - I know I've seen it answered before but I can't find it... Are you supposed to get three practice FLs with purchase of one of the TPR books? Or do you only get one? I got the Biology/Biochem book but only one FL is showing up on the TPR site. Any insight?

What I've read is, use them to build test stamina and review your answers to find weak content areas, but do not use the score as a predictor of how you'll do. Also when reviewing the correct answers, try not to internalize their logic, because it won't align with AAMC's.

All 11 exams are offered through the course (5 course exams, 3 complete, 2 review, and 1 demo). The demo is the one offered online, while the complete exams can be accessed if you buy their complete set from the book store.

Im taking the exam on aug 8 and I'm finishing up content review this week and hoping to do my first practice exam next monday (hopefully!) Content review is taking a lot more time then I thought it would, do you guys think I should push back my date or should I be fine?

Thats where I am on studying as well. I'm taking it august 6. Instead of just trying to finish content review I'm starting to take practice tests and reviewing/content review in between them. For me that helps a lot cause I'd find myself spending way too much time on one thing trying to know every possible detail but then by doing practice passages/tests it helped me try to consider how a topic might be tested and how it connects to others. Also it helps remind me what stuff I reallyyy need to work on.

The way I look at it is, I just spent my whole summer studying for this and I'm not letting that go to waste.

Anyone else's study schedule look like this:
wake up 900 am
study 10-1pm
lunch 1-2 pm
study 2-6pm
dinner 6-630pm
study 630-930
chill 930-1 am
sleep

Anyone else's study schedule look like this:
wake up 900 am
study 10-1pm
lunch 1-2 pm
study 2-6pm
dinner 6-630pm
study 630-930
chill 930-1 am
sleep

My schedule is similar, I'll post a little more details to mine

Wake up 530am
breakfast, watch Mike and Mike on ESPN, and candycrush(terrible habit) 545-8isham depending on who m@m interview that morning
study 8-11am
workout 11am-12pm
Study 1230pm-5pm
Listen to my gf bitch and gripe after work 5pm-515pm (if I'm lucky)
dinner around 6pm

From around 630 till I go to bed will include at least one of the following

1. Fish or golf till dark (often includes cold beer)
2. hangout with gf and fall asleep while she watches some boring show
3. On the weekend grill out and have some folks over

Reactions: 1 users
Get into the routine! Get up early and drink coffee or something so you don't go back to sleep. Eventually it'll become routine. Also I have a pretty strict diet, so I always wake up that early cause I'm hungry! lol

Heres mine!

7:30 wake up
8:00-11:00 study
11:00-12:15 lunch
12:15-3:00 study
3:00-5:30 study
5:30-6:30 dinner
7:00-10:00 TPR prep course class

Taking EK full length 1 right now...currently on my lunch break. I already know I got destroyed by the Chem/physics section =((

All 11 exams are offered through the course (5 course exams, 3 complete, 2 review, and 1 demo). The demo is the one offered online, while the complete exams can be accessed if you buy their complete set from the book store.
Are you sure we can't just buy one of the books to get access to the 3 practice tests?

Well I just finished my first practice full length and I am feeling pretty discouraged and am starting to reconsider my August 22nd exam date. I took Exam Krackers full length 1 and my break down is as follows

Chem/physics: 31/59 (52%) Yikes..
CARS: 38/53 (71%)
Bio/biochem: 35/59 (60%) Yikes again
Psych/Sociology: 50/59 (85%)
Overall: 67%

Am I doomed? Do you guys think 46 days is enough time to improve the chem/physics and bio/bchem sections?
I still need to memorize the physics formulas, amino acids, learn carbohydrate metabolism, and have 3 chapters each left to cover in my Kaplan books for bio and gen chem....ahhh

I got the 8/6 test day. I took my first FL yesterday (TPR complete test 1 online) and got a 504 - 126, 126, 126, and 126. For CARS, I need to improve on the following:

· Analogy: Most logically similar choice
· Weaken: Choice undermines Passage
· New Info: Apply new Facts to Passage

You guys got strategies on tackling these types of questions?

Thanks

Are you sure we can't just buy one of the books to get access to the 3 practice tests?

Thats what I meant. You get the 3 exams through buying the books or something like that. There's the separate books or you can buy the big one that has all the books in one.

Last edited:
anyone know if the old AAMC CBT's (3-11) are good practice for this new one? Or a waste of time?

If you already have access to them, then I think the VR sections would be handy to have for practice. The AAMC compiled all the relevant questions together into Question Packs, and some of the passages and questions on here are ridiculously easy compared to the exam. I had a question literally ask what part of the periodic table would I find the nonmetals.

When you guys take your FLs how much are you stimulating testing day conditions? i.e. are you starting the exam at 8am for each FL you take?
Because I have to be up at 6am for work every day and I really don't want to continuously give up one of the two days I have to sleep in. Of course if it'll really help I'll just grit my teeth and do so but I was hoping just taking 2-3 under those conditions would suffice.

Well I just finished my first practice full length and I am feeling pretty discouraged and am starting to reconsider my August 22nd exam date. I took Exam Krackers full length 1 and my break down is as follows

Chem/physics: 31/59 (52%) Yikes..
CARS: 38/53 (71%)
Bio/biochem: 35/59 (60%) Yikes again
Psych/Sociology: 50/59 (85%)
Overall: 67%

Am I doomed? Do you guys think 46 days is enough time to improve the chem/physics and bio/bchem sections?
I still need to memorize the physics formulas, amino acids, learn carbohydrate metabolism, and have 3 chapters each left to cover in my Kaplan books for bio and gen chem....ahhh

You'll be fine :). Memorizing material doesn't take a long time. Just find a good Quizlet deck for each of your needed areas (double check that the cards are actually correct) then spend 20 minutes a day on each deck, learning both the forward and reverse direction. You'll be done in a week. Then every subsequent week until your test date do a refresher day or two to relearn what you've forgotten.

I've also heard Anki is good but I've never used it myself.

The NS bio strategy guide suggests that it's advantageous to skip directly to discrete questions and do them before passages. Also, it suggests doing easier passages first in an attempt to "prioritize your quicker, easier points". I feel as if this last bit of advice isn't particularly sound because one would waste so much time judging which passages should be covered earlier on. Thoughts?

The NS bio strategy guide suggests that it's advantageous to skip directly to discrete questions and do them before passages. Also, it suggests doing easier passages first in an attempt to "prioritize your quicker, easier points". I feel as if this last bit of advice isn't particularly sound because one would waste so much time judging which passages should be covered earlier on. Thoughts?

I'd just go straight through, but thats just me. Unless you're having a serious problem finishing, then I wouldn't worry about it too much especially with the "one question at a time" ordeal. Personally, if I find myself getting bogged down by a hard question, I just mark it and return to it later. Sometimes, if I see a really nasty experimental passage I'll just skip it if I'm feeling really lazy and just do that one last. In other words, I wouldn't really over think it and just go with the flow.

I'm starting to consider pushing my test back to September. I've been feeling exhausted from content review and unable to study as much as I did in the beginning. I'm supposed to have the easiest semester so far in the fall, but I'm still unsure how much I will be able to accomplish during a school week.

I'm starting to consider pushing my test back to September. I've been feeling exhausted from content review and unable to study as much as I did in the beginning. I'm supposed to have the easiest semester so far in the fall, but I'm still unsure how much I will be able to accomplish during a school week.
Isn't there a $70 reschedule fee for Aug. 22nd administrations?