The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much scratch paper did you guys use for calculations?

In other words, just how "calculation heavy" are we talking?

I've only done AAMC 3 and 4 and I've used probably a total of 10-15 lines of scratch paper for each exam. I know these are a lot less calculation heavy though.
I used front and back of a full page. There were more calculations than on the practice tests, but the math was very simple.

I actually find this extremely offensive. Just b/c you're getting these high scores no need to go out on a limb and say "it must of been hard for everyone else." I actually thought this test was very simple and straightforward and I'm an "average composite score" Don't be arrogant.
With all due respect I don't think he was trying to be arrogant. He was just offering his opinion of how he thinks the scores will come out for a process that we will never truly know exactly what happens behind the scenes. And like he said near the end, it was more a statement to calm his own feelings of anxiety as we wait for this month to pass. Nothing wrong with that. That's great if you thought the test was straightforward. I'm sure that bodes well for your score.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually find this extremely offensive. Just b/c you're getting these high scores no need to go out on a limb and say "it must of been hard for everyone else." I actually thought this test was very simple and straightforward and I'm an "average composite score" Don't be arrogant.
Dude, take it easy. I really didn't read his post as arrogant, he was just voicing out how he felt. Tone is sort of hard to discern via text, so give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I found his post very calming because it reassured me (someone whose average is 3 points lower than his) that we are all in this boat together, so the curve is likely to be nice. So calm down.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're an average scorer and thought this test was simple and straightforward, I think you fell for the tricks. The test wasn't simple or straightforward.

That said, he was only pointing out the fact that the AAMC scores in this thread have been much higher than the typical official threads, and since many of us found the test difficult, your average test-taker probably found it difficult, too. It's a perfectly reasonable assumption.

"Very simple and straightforward" well that's pretty bold... you better be ready to back it up with a 40+ come September 23

What did you guys use to study for this exam? Especially the high scoring people who usually have 5-20mins remaining after finishing? I used solely Kaplan and a textbook to supplement me here and there, but that was probably a bad idea because some of the detail questions required knowledge that wasn't covered in the Kaplan review.

Edit: I am deciding how I am going to effectively approach my retake if given that I need to.

I never said it must have been hard for everyone because it was hard for me. I said that if the test seemed hard to test-takers with AAMC FL averages of 35+, then it would be extremely difficult for test-takers with AAMC FL averages around the average of all test-takers on the real test. Given that half of people that take the MCAT never even apply to med schools, my assumption that the MCAT was extremely difficult for those people is certainly not a baseless claim. I also stated clearly that no arrogance was intended, for I knew it may come across as an arrogant post to some.

I know a lot of people that have taken the MCAT, and of those people, the ones with lower AAMC FL averages thought invariably that the real MCAT was extremely difficult. I'm glad for you if you thought the test was simple and straightforward--maybe you are smarter than most people. I'm just talking about facts that are statistical.

What did you guys use to study for this exam? Especially the high scoring people who usually have 5-20mins remaining after finishing? I used solely Kaplan and a textbook to supplement me here and there, but that was probably a bad idea because some of the detail questions required knowledge that wasn't covered in the Kaplan review.

Edit: I am deciding how I am going to effectively approach my retake if given that I need to.
PS: TBR all the way
VR: EK 101 passages
BS: EK
Do as many practice tests and questions as you can. IMO you learn better by getting questions wrong and learning the reasoning behind it rather than reading straight content. I tried to time myself while doing all questions as it really built in a regimented mental clock that kept me on pace. Even on the real deal, i didn't let myself get behind with an insane passage because i knew how fast i needed to go on the remaining questions in order to finish on time.

And if you are strapped for cash, GS tests are cheap. Also, i used older versions of these prep books and to me it didn't seem like they were missing anything glaring. Basic sciences don't change much.

Berkeley Review for Gen Chem and Physics
EK Bio + EK Bio 1001
TPR Science Workbook--all discretes
20+ practice FLs

Hey good job on the test all of you brave souls! @jagster92 and others, with a month left before my test (and stressing) i have scheduled a AAMC 2 times a week, should i try and fit in another practice test like GS (3 a week) or supplement the review days with ek 1001?

Hey good job on the test all of you brave souls! @jagster92 and others, with a month left before my test (and stressing) i have scheduled a AAMC 2 times a week, should i try and fit in another practice test like GS (3 a week) or supplement the review days with ek 1001?
It really depends where your weaknesses are. If you're having trouble with timing and pacing yourself during practice tests, it'd probably be a good idea to add other practice tests. If there are specific subject areas where you're weak, you could spend more time going over those areas. I had a weakness when it came to calculations... I couldn't do them quickly enough, so I spent a lot of time just doing calculation discretes out of EK 1001 and TPRH SW until calculations were no longer an issue. If you come across questions in your practice tests that you don't know how to answer, it'd probably be a good idea to review that topic area so you know how to answer a similar question if it were to come up on the real thing.

It really depends where your weaknesses are. If you're having trouble with timing and pacing yourself during practice tests, it'd probably be a good idea to add other practice tests. If there are specific subject areas where you're weak, you could spend more time going over those areas. I had a weakness when it came to calculations... I couldn't do them quickly enough, so I spent a lot of time just doing calculation discretes out of EK 1001 and TPRH SW until calculations were no longer an issue. If you come across questions in your practice tests that you don't know how to answer, it'd probably be a good idea to review that topic area so you know how to answer a similar question if it were to come up on the real thing.

Ok great, that is exactly my problem as well so i think ill stick with that. It's pretty weird some of the most obvious stuff can slip by when studying for this thing...tunnel vision or something to that extent i guess. Thanks!

I don't see any problem with taking 3 tests in a week, and if you are concerned about the sciences in particular i would say definitely add in the GS exam every week. I was taking a test every other day or so up until the last week before the exam when i slowed down quite a bit to recover. 1 day in between for review was enough for me, but it depends on how much reviewing you need to do post-test. If you are only missing a handful of questions each test then 1 day is plenty, but make sure you have a good handle of why you missed the questions you did and how to get em right the next time before you go on to the next test.

Members don't see this ad :)
My overall feeling of each section:

PS: I thought that some of the PS passages were a bit difficult, however I noticed that I didn't really need the passage as much to answer some of the questions. The chem psg with the weird structure was WTF, I just tried to tackle the easier questions first so I could have enough time for the harder ones. I finished with a minute to spare.

Verbal: There was a particular passage that was really convoluted. I was definitely 50/50 on answering the questions from this passage. There were 2 passages which I found interesting so this made answering the questions easier. I can't even remember what the other passages were about, which is kinda scaring me. Is this happening to anyone else??

BIO: I thought the biology passages were not as bad, but the discrete's.... talk about specific. Also I felt some of the ochem questions were ridiculous or maybe it is just me.

side note: Every time I remember a question I start goggling it to check it. I wish I could just fall asleep and wake up and see my score, waiting is torture. I feel like I traded one "worry" for another.

Yeah, I agree with the PS havingg many non passage questions. For one passage, i did not even read the passage because you could of answered all the questions without the passage.

Also, i remember almost no questions from the section which is a little nervewracking.

does anyone know when the last day is to take an MCAT for this current admission cycle? I don't want any "your too late " jargon. I just need an answer.

How long will a 2014 MCAT test score be good for in light of the changing of the test?

does anyone know when the last day is to take an MCAT for this current admission cycle? I don't want any "your too late " jargon. I just need an answer.

How long will a 2014 MCAT test score be good for in light of the changing of the test?
I believe the latest MCAT dates accepted vary by school. I think most said dates will be right around the middle of September. If you check the school websites, you will see the policy listed.

And, from what I have gathered through personal research, the 2014 vs. 2015 MCAT policy will also vary by school. By and large, I expect most schools to accept the 2014 MCAT from students applying for 2016 matriculation. By most, I mean the large majority. I don't know what will happen past next year, but a call to admissions departments may get an answer.

I believe there is a chart posted on the aamc website that has the breakdown of every school and whether they will accept the 2014 MCAT or not for the next three cycles. Also, last time I checked only one school explicitly said they would only accept the 2015 MCAT for 2016 matriculation (Indiana I believe). Tbh I can't imagine many students will have the potential to even take the 2015 MCAT before apps are due that cycle. So I'm guessing even this one school will soften their stance on not accepting the old MCAT.

Edit: it was LSU in Shreveport, not Indiana.

Last edited:
There were 2 passages which I found interesting so this made answering the questions easier. I can't even remember what the other passages were about, which is kinda scaring me. Is this happening to anyone else??
I only remember two passages from verbal, and yes, it scares me, too. The first passage really tripped me up. I only remember one of the questions from the first passage, and there seemed to be two possible answers, with two out of four being the same and the other two out of four being the same, and none was correct in my mind.

I believe there is a chart posted on the aamc website that has the breakdown of every school and whether they will accept the 2014 MCAT or not for the next three cycles. Also, last time I checked only one school explicitly said they would only accept the 2015 MCAT for 2016 matriculation (Indiana I believe). Tbh I can't imagine many students will have the potential to even take the 2015 MCAT before apps are due that cycle. So I'm guessing even this one school will soften their stance on not accepting the old MCAT.
Good info!

I only remember two passages from verbal, and yes, it scares me, too. The first passage really tripped me up. I only remember one of the questions from the first passage, and there seemed to be two possible answers, with two out of four being the same and the other two out of four being the same, and none was correct in my mind.
Supposedly there's a question challenge protocol in place for the MCAT but how could one feasibly even go about using it? We never see the test post-hoc and its not like we're keeping a compilation of iffy questions in mind at the end. We're trained to forget the previous section and move on. Doesn't seem like a valid challenge model to me.

Supposedly there's a question challenge protocol in place for the MCAT but how could one feasibly even go about using it? We never see the test post-hoc and its not like we're keeping a compilation of iffy questions in mind at the end. We're trained to forget the previous section and move on. Doesn't seem like a valid challenge model to me.

This is why I strongly believe that an answer key should be released for each MCAT that at least allows us to look at the answers.

I didn't know they even had that. And I think it's because it may be hard to create a more facile challenge model that wouldn't also lead to a ridiculous amount of challenges.

Yep. I had a dream last night that I got a 4 on VR. How has it only been 3 days?? This test feels like it was an eternity ago.
I had a dream the night before that I woke up at 1:05 for my test at 1:00. Needless to say I freaked for a bit. I've had some pretty bad nightmares borderline terrors and I'd say this was on par haha.

lol bruh..............................................................................relax

Just wanted to give my thoughts on this test! (e-mcat) AAMC average was 34.83 - hitting 34's and 35's. I'm also a biochemistry major if that's relevant.

Physical Sciences - Brutal! Some of it wasn't bad but there was that INSANE passage which surrounded material that was not covered at all / barely mentioned in TBR or Examkrackers! I am not feeling too confident on this portion. I really felt it focused on a different side of PS that was not tested as much on the practice AAMC tests (which I felt focused more on the later portions of gen chem.)

Verbal Reasoning - Easy! This section got me my confidence back, but PS has always been my low point and VR my highest so it wasn't too surprising to me. I'm hoping this will make up for PS which I did have time at the end to go over questions (~5-6 minutes) but I spent the majority of that time trying to figure out that ridiculous passage (which I am very sure was not even talked about in the science class that would've covered that material at my college).

Biology - Good! Definitely doable, there were some questions I definitely guessed on, but I felt good / okay for the most part. I was pretty happy and surprised at how organic heavy this section was, coming off of a summer of medicinal chemistry research, and especially with the coming years de-emphasis on organic. I again had time at the end to go over all my answers again, but I ended up getting caught up with some earlier answers.

Overall, I feel like I could've definitely hit within the broad range of 29-35, definitely hoping for above a 30 though. I wouldn't be surprised if I get back a score where I've been bruised on PS. I'm still just pissed off over that PS passage! Can someone confirm if they had ever had a chapter concerning that topic in any of their physical sciences related classes? I don't know where I could've picked that up? I also feel those practice AAMC tests were decent approximations of how the real MCAT would be, but I think they were a bit easier (especially going backwards to the earlier ones).

Now concerning the trial section. I had biochem and SWEET BABY JESUS that was a trip and a half! Seriously, my heart goes out to those taking it next year.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give my thoughts on this test! (e-mcat) AAMC average was 34.83 - hitting 34's and 35's. I'm also a biochemistry major if that's relevant.

Physical Sciences - Brutal! Some of it wasn't bad but there was that INSANE passage which surrounded material that was not covered at all / barely mentioned in TBR or Examkrackers! I am not feeling too confident on this portion. I really felt it focused on a different side of PS that was not tested as much on the practice AAMC tests (which I felt focused more on the later portions of gen chem.)

Verbal Reasoning - Easy! This section got me my confidence back, but PS has always been my low point and VR my highest so it wasn't too surprising to me. I'm hoping this will make up for PS which I did have time at the end to go over questions (~5-6 minutes) but I spent the majority of that time trying to figure out that ridiculous passage (which I am very sure was not even talked about in the science class that would've covered that material at my college).

Biology - Good! Definitely doable, there were some questions I definitely guessed on, but I felt good / okay for the most part. I was pretty happy and surprised at how organic heavy this section was, coming off of a summer of medicinal chemistry research, and especially with the coming years de-emphasis on organic. I again had time at the end to go over all my answers again, but I ended up getting caught up with some earlier answers.

Overall, I feel like I could've definitely hit within the broad range of 29-35, definitely hoping for above a 30 though. I wouldn't be surprised if I get back a score where I've been bruised on PS. I'm still just pissed off over that PS passage! Can someone confirm if they had ever had a chapter concerning that topic in any of their physical sciences related classes? I don't know where I could've picked that up? I also feel those practice AAMC tests were decent approximations of how the real MCAT would be, but I think they were a bit easier (especially going backwards to the earlier ones).

Now concerning the trial section. I had biochem and SWEET BABY JESUS that was a trip and a half! Seriously, my heart goes out to those taking it next year.
I think the point of passages like that is to build a bell curve. They have to have some questions that only a small percentage can answer to differentiate between 14s and 15s.

I think the point of passages like that is to build a bell curve. They have to have some questions that only a small percentage can answer to differentiate between 14s and 15s.
I'm so curious to know what this passage was lol

The problem is that it's so imprecise. This is really the only test I've taken where the probabilistic correctness of guesses almost invariably affects scores. I could be wrong since I don't know how the test is actually scored, though I'm certain that it isn't scored the way the AAMC FLs are. It's not unreasonable to conclude that the actual raw-to-scaled conversion takes difficulty into account, such that getting 3 difficult questions wrong may equate to getting 1 easy question wrong (maybe it's the other way around), and that was never the case on the AAMCs.

That's a fair point, if the questions were for example surrounding non-competitive inhibition vs uncompetitive inhibition or specifics of the reductive side of the pentose phosphate pathway or some hardy-weinberg equilibrium problem. What I mean by that is even if it was super complex / specific it would be something that would be included in the classes for the MCAT / med school. The only class where I think we could've had something like that is inorganic chemistry (let me know if I should delete that) which I'm really sure is not a recommended class for med school.

Edit: it was LSU in Shreveport, not Indiana.

I think the 2015 new MCAT is going to be a disaster. feel real bad for the people that have to take it

That's a fair point, if the questions were for example surrounding non-competitive inhibition vs uncompetitive inhibition or specifics of the reductive side of the pentose phosphate pathway or some hardy-weinberg equilibrium problem. What I mean by that is even if it was super complex / specific it would be something that would be included in the classes for the MCAT / med school. The only class where I think we could've had something like that is inorganic chemistry (let me know if I should delete that) which I'm really sure is not a recommended class for med school.
I wish I could show that to my old gen chem professor and watch him have absolutely no idea, either, though maybe he would.

Someone told me that for the new MCAT there's going to be a lunch break...? If true that's insane.

Hey! First time poster here. I've been following this thread for the last couple weeks so I thought I'd give my thoughts on the test after its been driving me crazy the last few days :p

I was averaging 37-38 on the AAMCs.

PS- I thought was reasonable aside from that one passage everyone's talking about. Its funny the topic appeared on the WikiPremed lectures and I overlooked it because I figured it wouldn't be covered but low and behold. Some of the questions from the passage were simple retrieval or calculation masked with a lot of extraneous information I felt. The other passages seemed fairly doable although I may have overlooked some concepts while answering question. There was also one other passage that had some pretty weird answer choices as well.

Verbal- Easily my weakest section on the AAMCs and also on this MCAT. The passages were longer but I felt that wasn't the real issue as much as trying to understand what the first two passages were even saying. To make matters worse some of the questions had a few solid answers or in some cases no good ones at all. This was really different than most of the AAMCs where the answer usually jumps out at you. Really don't know what to expect for this section.

BS- Definitely surprised by the orgo heavy section although previous test takers have mentioned this on the forum so it was expected. I felt like the bio passages were easier than AAMC 11 or at least on par whereas the verbal was more challenging but also tested in a different way than the AAMCs. Kicking myself for changing my answers to wrong ones for two questions and overlooking an easy ochem discrete.

Overall, like most of us my feeling about this test goes in waves where I'll feel decent about it and then terrible before I sleep. I wouldnt say our test was easy or much easier than other tests because it doesn't make sense to me that AAMC would do that. The scale may be harsh but I don't think it'll be worse than the AAMcs as others have mentioned.

Hopefully we all get the scores we want and deserve!

Hey! First time poster here. I've been following this thread for the last couple weeks so I thought I'd give my thoughts on the test after its been driving me crazy the last few days :p

I was averaging 37-38 on the AAMCs.

PS- I thought was reasonable aside from that one passage everyone's talking about. Its funny the topic appeared on the WikiPremed lectures and I overlooked it because I figured it wouldn't be covered but low and behold. Some of the questions from the passage were simple retrieval or calculation masked with a lot of extraneous information I felt. The other passages seemed fairly doable although I may have overlooked some concepts while answering question. There was also one other passage that had some pretty weird answer choices as well.

Verbal- Easily my weakest section on the AAMCs and also on this MCAT. The passages were longer but I felt that wasn't the real issue as much as trying to understand what the first two passages were even saying. To make matters worse some of the questions had a few solid answers or in some cases no good ones at all. This was really different than most of the AAMCs where the answer usually jumps out at you. Really don't know what to expect for this section.

BS- Definitely surprised by the orgo heavy section although previous test takers have mentioned this on the forum so it was expected. I felt like the bio passages were easier than AAMC 11 or at least on par whereas the verbal was more challenging but also tested in a different way than the AAMCs. Kicking myself for changing my answers to wrong ones for two questions and overlooking an easy ochem discrete.

Overall, like most of us my feeling about this test goes in waves where I'll feel decent about it and then terrible before I sleep. I wouldnt say our test was easy or much easier than other tests because it doesn't make sense to me that AAMC would do that. The scale may be harsh but I don't think it'll be worse than the AAMcs as others have mentioned.

Hopefully we all get the scores we want and deserve!
I always feel a bit relieved when I see other people struggled with the verbal, too. When people comment that the verbal was "easy," I honestly wonder if they got the same test, because the verbal section I witnessed was utterly cruel. And what's worse is that they put the most difficult passages in the beginning. I answered the questions for the last passage without reading the whole passage because I was running out of time (fortunately, the last passage seemed easy, and I could get the idea the author was trying to get across after just reading the first two paragraphs or so).

I always feel a bit relieved when I see other people struggled with the verbal, too. When people comment that the verbal was "easy," I honestly wonder if they got the same test, because the verbal section I witnessed was utterly cruel. And what's worse is that they put the most difficult passages in the beginning. I answered the questions for the last passage without reading the whole passage because I was running out of time (fortunately, the last passage seemed easy, and I could get the idea the author was trying to get across after just reading the first two paragraphs or so).
I got to the last question with 30 sec left and lost track of time--thus, I certainly missed one. If the verbal wasn't so ridiculous, I'd actually be feeling somewhat good about this test.

I got to the last question with 30 sec left and lost track of time--thus, I certainly missed one. If the verbal wasn't so ridiculous, I'd actually be feeling somewhat good about this test.

It's interesting, I feel like bio was good across everyone, and it switched between physical sciences and verbal for easy and difficult.

Hey if anyone hasn't yet, consider taking the poll about this exam (it is in another thread on this form) it is kind of cool to see