The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Test Date: 08/21/2014
Time: 1pm
FL AAMC Average: 35.6 34-36
Post-test expected score: 32-35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 11/10/10 31

Didn't expect that! But hey, I think the lesson to learn is to expect your score to drop. I felt pretty confident in getting a 33/4 and definitely never got below a 12 on any of my AAMC VRs, hardly below a 12 on any PS either, so I can't even explain the breakdown. As we all know there was that monster passage in PS so I thought that was for sure my worst section, and surprise! It was my best haha. I am just thankful to be done with it as I'm a TX res and this puts me competitive for all except BCM and SW, my advice to any retakers is simply not to be easy on yourself. Make a plan and stick to it. Score in the 38s and 9s with your practice tests and then be confident on test day. I did SN2ed very liberally but IMO TBR is the best way to go.

Reactions: 2 users
FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 32-35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 39 (14/12/13)

I'm really happy with this score. Especially since I thought physics absolutely destroyed me. I hope everyone feels good about where they ended up, but if not, remember that you're not defined by this score. It's a silly test and a small milestone on the way to greater things. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: 30.83 (Kaplan FL 33.1)
Post-test expected score: 30-33
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/11/14 T: 37

I thought physics was my hardest, not because of that awful passage, but going back and thinking of discretes I knew I got wrong. Came out of bio knowing it was my best. Totally stoked though, and I'm reapplying this cycle and I have two interviews already but hopefully this will allow me a few more, just hoping it isn't too late in the cycle! Congrats to everyone who did as good (or better) as hoped!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this cycle and wondering the same. I was under the impression it auto-updates for schools if you had the scheduled mcat date in there. I'm pretty sure it does...but the AMCAS PDF mentions nothing specific

If you log onto the AMCAS application and click your scores, they are already loaded so I hope that means an update e-mail already went out today! So excited to share my much-improved score. Good luck this cycle, maybe I'll see you at some interviews ;)

For those feeling like you should apply with the great scores, make sure you have 3 Letters of Recommendations, and have already sent an official transcript to AMCAS to be verified. We are right now very late in the process but if you got the latter 2: it's possible for public med schools in your state to accept you. For instance, in Louisiana, the deadlines in LSU- New Orleans and LSU- Shreveport are at the end of the semester with secondary applications due in January.

Time: 1 pm
FL AAMC Average: 37
Post-test expected score: ?
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/09/14 (35)

Pretty disappointed. Probably retaking.

I wouldn't. A 35 is an absolutely fantastic score and isn't going to keep you from getting into med school. Retaking a 35 would label you as a particular type of applicant that med schools try to avoid.

FL AAMC Average: 30.75(Kaplan FL 33)
Post-test expected score: 29-33
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 11/7/13 (31)

I don't know how to feel about this score. I have a 4.0 major GPA and a 3.7 overall with tons of EC and I'm non-trad. I just want to get into a respectable allopathic program. Would you guys roll the dice with this score (Even with the disastrous VR) or retake?

I didn't do so well as I'd hoped :/. I was wondering whether I should just retake the old MCAT exam. They have some dates in CA right now for October 21...but I'm also wondering whether I should just take the 2015Mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do so well as I'd hoped :/. I was wondering whether I should just retake the old MCAT exam. They have some dates in CA right now for October 21...but I'm also wondering whether I should just take the 2015Mcat.

Depends how you did.

Try to stay positive. You probably need to hear from someone who is qualified to give advice on this matter but I would take the current MCAT for several reasons. For one, you already prepared for the current MCAT so you have a starting point. Secondly (and less importantly), you don't have to invest in buying new study materials.

Test Date: 8/21/14
FL AAMC Average: ~34.5
Post-test expected score: idk
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):32 (13/07/12)

And here I thought my mcat woes were over. Signed up for October 21st. I plan on mainly focusing on verbal, and reviewing my sciences on the side. Congrats to everyone who hit their desired score!

That's really unfortunate about the verbal, but you should come out of this with a sense of definite pride that you did fantastic on the most hellacious of Physical Sciences portions out there. Seriously well done! That being said, hit examkrackers strategy for verbal, and use examkrackers 101 passages to practice (do 4 in a row and spend an equal amount of time figuring out the main idea / what you did wrong / what MCAT strategies can you pick up on).

I have complete faith that on your retake you'll get the score you deserve.

Try to stay positive. You probably need to hear from someone who is qualified to give advice on this matter but I would take the current MCAT for several reasons. For one, you already prepared for the current MCAT so you have a starting point. Secondly (and less importantly), you don't have to invest in buying new study materials.
Yeah but all the test dates for CA are completely booked unless I take it in a month on October 21 :/ which is the day I have all my classes stacked. Huge dilemma..unless a CA test date opens in January..when I feel like i'd be more than ready...but I feel that's not possible D;.

As I understand, the new Mcat will have similar materials right? Just adding biochem and psychology?

I am also from CA and dates always open up if you diligently check (I'm saying everyday). I would say it depends on what your score was but It feels like you need more time to devote to studying, especially when you have other classes to contend with. Take your time and sign up when you feel you are ready. January is not that far away.

Also, the new MCAT is bothersome to me because no one really knows what it will be like. But they are adding Psychological, Social and Biological Foundations of Behavior as well as Biochemistry. The exam is getting longer and would likely require you to change your preparation.

It really depends on whether you think the new alterations will suit you.

Sigh only plus I have is I felt I did horrible so I signed up right away for Oct 21st, and have kept studying up not quite as hard but still somewhat focused, not I'll have another month of this ridiculousness... I litterally had that bomb everyone was dreaming of.. even did poorly in verbal... oh well time to get back on my bike with a bent rim and hope there's a bike shop around the coner... won't even mention my score btw

I am also from CA and dates always open up if you diligently check (I'm saying everyday). I would say it depends on what your score was but It feels like you need more time to devote to studying, especially when you have other classes to contend with. Take your time and sign up when you feel you are ready. January is not that far away.

Also, the new MCAT is bothersome to me because no one really knows what it will be like. But they are adding Psychological, Social and Biological Foundations of Behavior as well as Biochemistry. The exam is getting longer and would likely require you to change your preparation.

It really depends on whether you think the new alterations will suit you.

Thanks so much! I will diligently check for a January test date to open! Hopefully I can avoid the new MCAT. I am a Theater minor as well as a Bio major so I think I can make the January test date.

Thank you so much!

BTW - my scores were okay..consistent at least...but still kind of sucky...PS/V/BS - 10/9/10. Gotta improve those! All my practice exams that I took I consistently got above 30. so it was weird that got lower ;/ but it happens. sigh

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 32.67 (AAMC 9-11) & 31(AAMC 3-11)
Post-test expected score: PS/VR/BS 12/6/12 30
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/10/11 (33)

Finally glad it's all over! I wasn't able to reach my target score of 35, but I really can't complain. It's been a long, brutal journey and it was great reading about everyone's progress. Congrats to all who did well and for those of you who didn't, please don't give up! A number doesn't define your abilities and I'm confident that you will all achieve your dreams.

FL AAMC Average (7 tests): 13.2/10.4/13.2
AAMC 11 (last one I did) 14/11/15​
FL Kaplan Average (9 tests): 13.2/10.2/13.3
Post-test expected score: 12/11/14
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):39 (14/12/13)

Last edited:
First time poster, here! My target was a 35 and I just barely missed it! I was definitely nervous about looking at my results since I was thinking that I did so badly. Looks like the curve was in our favor! Good luck to everyone and thank you so much for your motivation as I have been reading this thread all summer!

Test Date:
8/21/14
Time:
1 pm
FL AAMC Average: 33.25 (11.6/9.1/12.5)
Post-test expected score: 31 (12/8/11)
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 34 (12/10/12)

Test date: 8/21/14
FL AAMC Average: 9-10P / 8-10V / 9-10B
Post-test Expected Score: 7-9P (guessed on so many problems) / 10-13V (lol) / 8-10B
Actual Score: 11P (wtf?) / 6V (WTF!?) / 10B
Total: 27 (fml)

Leaving from the test, I thought that I had outperformed my usual verbal capabilities and messed up tremendously on physical and slightly on the biology section... But holy crap was I wrong... I think now I have to study for the new MCAT? Or travel 6 hours to the nearest available center.

Looks like for a lot of people verbal was their weak score. I definitely was expecting a low score in PS. B/c I am Canadian I will probably have to retake my 32 since I scored a 9 in verbal. Blehhhh

DONE!!!!
Test Date:
08/21/2014
FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: PS/VR/BS 11/11/10 32
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14 (!)/11/12 (37)

Reactions: 3 users
Time:
1 pm
FL AAMC Average: didn't calculate... didn't want to be disappointed if i scored below
Post-test expected score: 29-35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 37 (11/12/14)

I took the MCAT a year before and scored a 26 (10/7/9). I have checked this forum so many times it's embarrassing. Thanks for getting me through this horrible month of waiting! All the best to everyone here. If you didn't do well this time, I'm proof that it is possible to do much better the next time around!!

Reactions: 3 users
Time: 13:00
FL AAMC Average: 25.4
Post-test expected score:
25-28
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 30 (10/10/10)

I was so surprised... I jumped from an average of 6 on Verbal on my practice tests to a 10 on verbal. but I dropped from my max of 12 on PS and 11 on bio to 10s. =) It's such a relief now that is over. SSSSOOOOO Happy to be done after attempt #1!!

This is to those who aren't confident with their practice scores: don't give up! I'm proof that it's possible to score better on the actual thing than the practices!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
FL AAMC Average: ~33
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (13/15/13) 41

I was SHOCKED! I walked out of that exam thinking I'd bombed it for sure. I had to check and re-check to make sure there was no mistake when I got my score back! Frankly, forget the score itself - I'm just finding myself so happy that I don't have to take the stupid test again. I studied for eight months! I guess I just do really well under pressure.

Reactions: 11 users

I was SHOCKED! I walked out of that exam thinking I'd bombed it for sure. I had to check and re-check to make sure there was no mistake when I got my score back! Frankly, forget the score itself - I'm just finding myself so happy that I don't have to take the stupid test again. I studied for eight months! I guess I just do really well under pressure.

Shocked.gif

I need some of your magic. And all of your brain, too. Thanks.

Edit: Any verbal strategies you might wanna share, Verbal Goddess? That 15...

Reactions: 6 users

Wow congrats!

Oh my... Are you God? How on earth did you get 15 on verbal! Amazing

I have a question for you guys. I am trying to apply for this cycle. Obviously my application is going to get in super late. Is anyone else applying this cycle? Or does anyone else have experience applying late? Is it worth the try? Honestly, I'm not too worried about the money part, but I also don't want to throw my money away if there is no chance of getting an interview this late. FYI I'm only applying to TX schools, I already sent in my transcript, and I plan on submitting the rest of my application this weekend because I'm fine tuning my personal statement. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I don't get in this year but I kind of want to try my luck.

Any verbal strategies you might wanna share, Verbal Goddess? That 15...

Oh my... Are you God? How on earth did you get 15 on verbal! Amazing

I'mma be real here. I did so well on verbal because my mother is a professional copy-editor and while growing up she and I used to take passages from the SAT/GRE/whatever test and play a game where we would see how many questions we could get right without reading the passage. So it's totally not because I'm brilliant or anything.

I have the following advice: just read all the frikkin' time. I read mostly fiction, because you get really good at figuring out tone and main ideas. Also, I read a question and look back and see if there are any matching words in the passage! Like, if it says, "How does something relate to such-and-such," I look for the word "relate" back in the passage. Sometimes the MCAT just lifts words directly and you know your answer is from there.

Also, hilighting "fancy" words and descriptive words beforehand often gives me a reference point where if a question mentions those words, I could go back to them quickly.

Hope this helps! Seriously though I am mostly just supremely lucky.

Wow congratulations!

My exact response.

I have a question for you guys. I am trying to apply for this cycle. Obviously my application is going to get in super late. Is anyone else applying this cycle? Or does anyone else have experience applying late? Is it worth the try? Honestly, I'm not too worried about the money part, but I also don't want to throw my money away if there is no chance of getting an interview this late. FYI I'm only applying to TX schools, I already sent in my transcript, and I plan on submitting the rest of my application this weekend because I'm fine tuning my personal statement. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I don't get in this year but I kind of want to try my luck.

I am in the same boat as you. I am an applicant who sent the primary late August, but schools did respond and I got the secondary apps from 2 dream schools. My advice to you from the perspective of a late applicant is **** what the elite SDN'ers says which back when I asked was simply: "You will get auto-rejected if your application was sent after --insert an insanely early date here-- ". My belief is that those guys who told me that do hold some truth: (like in the case with some states that don't have public schools with heavy in-state preference as well as an in-state population that is too competitive such as Cali and NY) but I truly told myself to **** them and applied anyway. Fortunately, the AdComm in the schools I am applying (like LSU Shreveport) do roll over applications to the reapp cycle where they pay closer attention anyway so no you're not truly wasting your money if your MCAT score is good and your GPA is good. At best, the Admissions director will not simply discard your application but he will in fact remember you especially when you write a unique, noteworthy Personal Statement and some unique credentials, and if you reapply much earlier the next year.

THAT is just GOD LIKE!!

OMGGGGG 15 in verbal!

Did anyone dwell on their answers/questions they guessed after the test and realized they had gotten a bunch wrong in each section, only to do much better than they thought?

Damn 15 on verbal that's insane.

Did anyone dwell on their answers/questions they guessed after the test and realized they had gotten a bunch wrong in each section, only to do much better than they thought?

I'll let you know when I see mine after I finish my test this evening. Unlike the other geniuses here who already got 35-38s on the FLs, I was scoring 29-31, and after the this real test, I feel like it's going to be a 11-9-8 because BS and Verbal totally shocked me due to the test not feeling like FL 9-11 and the Orgo passages being something I completely skipped and just made full guesses on. If I score above a 30, then the answer to your question is a definite YES so pray for me lol.

Last edited:
I'll let you know when I see mine after I finish my test this evening. Unlike the other geniuses here who already got 35-38s on the FLs, I was scoring 29-31, and after the this real test, I feel like it's going to be a 11-9-8 because BS and Verbal totally shocked me due to the test not feeling like FL 9-11 and the Orgo passages being something I completely skipped and just made full guesses on. If I score above a 30, then the answer to your question is a definite YES so pray for me lol.
#prayforTulaneUnderdog

i find that the ones where you're torn between 2 answer choices haunt you more than the ones you completely guess on

FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 33-36
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):
(12/10/12) 34

First time poster, though I have been stalking this thread for the last month. After the test I knew for sure I missed 6 PS (4 alone from darth vader passage) and 6 BS Q's from researching the q's I was unsure about, and I prob missed a few more that I didn't catch post-test so I'm guessing I got ~8 wrong per science section and still ended up with 12s on both. On the practice exams I was averaging 12 PS and 12.6 BS
i took it Sep. 12. i wish i had some pop culture reference like Darth vader to keep me entertained lol. i didn't know AAMC did that. i think i saw some on GS tests

FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: ?????????????
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): (11/10/10) 31

I have no idea if I should take it again or not. I signed up for a day in October right after my exam because I didn't want spots to fill up. I think I can do better, especially because I was so terribly nervous the first time around, but I also think I could get into an allopathic med school somewhere in the country with that MCAT score and a 3.9 GPA. What do you all think? Would a two or three point increase in my score (because realistically I think that's what would happen best case scenario) greatly increase my chances of getting interviews/getting in somewhere? Thanks for all your support and help these past few months! I would have gone crazy if I didn't have an SDN community to vent to! Hope you all are happy with your scores, we did it guys!!!! We survived the MCAT!!

Actual Score (PS/V/BS):
(11/10/10) 31

I have no idea if I should take it again or not. I signed up for a day in October right after my exam because I didn't want spots to fill up. I think I can do better, especially because I was so terribly nervous the first time around, but I also think I could get into an allopathic med school somewhere in the country with that MCAT score and a 3.9 GPA. What do you all think? Would a two or three point increase in my score (because realistically I think that's what would happen best case scenario) greatly increase my chances of getting interviews/getting in somewhere? Thanks for all your support and help these past few months! I would have gone crazy if I didn't have an SDN community to vent to! Hope you all are happy with your scores, we did it guys!!!! We survived the MCAT!!
I don't claim to be as knowledgeable as the adcoms here, but imo if you only think you could max do 3 or so points better i'd say stick with the 31. There's plenty of ppl that get in with 31 3.9 and lower. Your stats are better than over half of all MD matriculates. But taking it again and doing about the same (or worse :dead:) would just make things worse. And let's be honest, nobody wants to go thru this process again. It depends on how confident you feel in your abilities now vs. when you took it the first time, but you scored close to your AAMC average so it might be your best bet to stick with the 31.

I don't claim to be as knowledgeable as the adcoms here, but imo if you only think you could max do 3 or so points better i'd say stick with the 31. There's plenty of ppl that get in with 31 3.9 and lower. Your stats are better than over half of all MD matriculates. But taking it again and doing about the same (or worse :dead:) would just make things worse. And let's be honest, nobody wants to go thru this process again. It depends on how confident you feel in your abilities now vs. when you took it the first time, but you scored close to your AAMC average so it might be your best bet to stick with the 31.
Thanks! Also, congrats on your crazy awesome score, I bet that feels so good!:) Also any advice for bio??? I suck at Orgo and I think that was my downfall on this exam.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS):
(11/10/10) 31

Retaking an excellent score as a 31 is a red flag. It labels you as a type of applicant that adcoms generally try to avoid. Further added is the fact that you scored within your average, which does not merit the opportunity cost of retaking. You have absolutely no reason to retake.

Reactions: 2 users