The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would continue to study. This is the second time ive taken in I took the June 5th exam. I was averaging 35-39 on the AAMC exams a got a 26 on my first exam (7 7 12). If you feel that you had problems with your nerves (which i did obviously looking at my score breakdown) then I would sign up to retake and then if you dont have to great but keep it in the back of your mind especially if you have already applied.
Im studying just incase even though i feel like i did a lot better. But nerves play a huge factor with second guessinng yourself!

I would continue to study. This is the second time ive taken in I took the June 5th exam. I was averaging 35-39 on the AAMC exams a got a 26 on my first exam (7 7 12). If you feel that you had problems with your nerves (which i did obviously looking at my score breakdown) then I would sign up to retake and then if you dont have to great but keep it in the back of your mind especially if you have already applied.
Im studying just incase even though i feel like i did a lot better. But nerves play a huge factor with second guessinng yourself!

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about that nerve breakdown. That AAMC average is awesome!

What are you going to do this time to better calm your nerves? Curious...

I'm so sorry! I hope you did better this time. This is my nightmare because I feel like this happened to me. :cryi:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry! I hope you did better this time. This is my nightmare because I feel like this happened to me. :cryi:
Same. I was (generally) doing well on the AAMCs but I feel like I totally dropped the ball on test day.
Hang in there, med11d! We're all in this together.

This past time to calm me down I spent time with my family 2 days before. My dad is a funny guy and I had him drive me to test day because I knew he wouldnt let me get nervous. Once I got into the testing center I started making friends with all of the other test takers and that was really calming. I also started doing a lot of yoga in the evenings after studying. Before I took the test I wrote down 100+ equations during the first 20 minutes before the test started (the trial and tutorial time). I started taking 5 seconds inbetween each section. Take a deep breath count down from five and start to read. That helped me the most. It lowered my heart rate, calmed my mind and made my decisions on questions much more instinctual. You break if you get a bad score. When I got my score I was so mad at myself but I then realized that this is so stupid and this test doesnt prove anything about my capabilities of being a physican. I want it because I love it and the entire test day i continued to tell myself that and I think i performed like I had on my practice exams.
This whole thing sucks, the test the applying and the rejections but if you want it bad enough, you will get through.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
This past time to calm me down I spent time with my family 2 days before. My dad is a funny guy and I had him drive me to test day because I knew he wouldnt let me get nervous. Once I got into the testing center I started making friends with all of the other test takers and that was really calming. I also started doing a lot of yoga in the evenings after studying. Before I took the test I wrote down 100+ equations during the first 20 minutes before the test started (the trial and tutorial time). I started taking 5 seconds inbetween each section. Take a deep breath count down from five and start to read. That helped me the most. It lowered my heart rate, calmed my mind and made my decisions on questions much more instinctual. You break if you get a bad score. When I got my score I was so mad at myself but I then realized that this is so stupid and this test doesnt prove anything about my capabilities of being a physican. I want it because I love it and the entire test day i continued to tell myself that and I think i performed like I had on my practice exams.
This whole thing sucks, the test the applying and the rejections but if you want it bad enough, you will get through.

Good luck!

well said.

Why is everyone freaking out? Do people realize it has nothing to do with the test itself but rather where you fall in relation to everyone else? Yes, the test was difficult. But if you were scoring above 80% of the aamc practice test takers there's a good chance you fall near or around that percentile on the real thing. If it was hard for you and I, it was hard for everyone.

Why is everyone freaking out? Do people realize it has nothing to do with the test itself but rather where you fall in relation to everyone else? Yes, the test was difficult. But if you were scoring above 80% of the aamc practice test takers there's a good chance you fall near or around that percentile on the real thing. If it was hard for you and I, it was hard for everyone.

I hope you're right. Also, I freak out about almost everything... :oops::D

I couldn't agree more. Just sit back, relax, and chill.

I know it's a little late to write about the August 8th MCAT, but I needed a week to let go of all the MCAT questions that were lingering in my head. Well, I still think about them....haha...:(
Seriously, sometimes, I cannot fall asleep because of the 3 easy PS questions I missed.

2PM
PS: A lot of conceptual questions... I had to guess on 3 questions randomly because I ran out of time. I felt stupid for taking some time to find a certain element on the periodic table...It was an unusual one. I quickly chose one answer and moved on....I knew it didn't make sense in my head, but I had other questions to go over..*sigh* I wonder how many answers we can get wrong and still get a 10 on this test.
VS: I actually think this verbal test was not too difficult. I did run out of time while doing the last passage, though. I wish I had more time for the last one since it was actually interesting, and the questions were straightforward. I was getting 9-12 on the AAMC practice tests and EK passages, but who knows if I'll get a similar score on the real thing.
BS: I spent too much time on the hard passage that a lot of people were talking about. It's something I need to overcome. When I'm focused too much on something, I lose track of time. I also can't let things go until I think I did my very best. I was shocked by the biochemical questions since the MCAT practice tests didn't really have biochem questions. I also didn't have enough time for one of the passages, so I had to guess on 3-4 questions, I think.

I already submitted my primary application, and it has been verified. Now I'm really scared because if I don't have a good MCAT score, I will end up wasting time and money on the primary. I don't even know if I should even submit my AACOMAS app. Should I wait for my MCAT score and then submit it?

Members don't see this ad :)
@doppio if your backup plan is DO, why not submit it now? I'm on the same boat. If I did not score well as I would like, DO is my main focus over MD for secondaries applications.
I guess even if I get a 25 on the MCAT (Well, hopefully, I'll get a 30+.), it will be worth applying at this point.......

UHHHHHH no. The MCAT is not graded relative to how everybody else did on the same day. The difficulty of the questions and test were already predetermined when you answered the questions.

UHHHHHH no. The MCAT is not graded relative to how everybody else did on the same day. The difficulty of the questions and test were already predetermined when you answered the questions.
I thought OP was just saying in general if you perform at a certain percentile range you're likely to perform at that range again.

But the MCAT is graded on a bell curve. And if a test is graded on a bell curve, wouldn't that mean it's based on percentile, and how you did compared to others? How else could you get a bell curve?

But the MCAT is graded on a bell curve. And if a test is graded on a bell curve, wouldn't that mean it's based on percentile, and how you did compared to others? How else could you get a bell curve?
You are incorrect. The MCAT is not graded on a bell curve. The overall score distributions aren't exactly a bell curve if you look up the histogram data. It's close to a bell curve because with a huge sample size of ~50k examinees a year, a bell curve will result; basically, the law of statistics says that a large sample size would tend to give a normal distribution, and the aggregate MCAT data is proof that the law holds in reality. Grading is NOT based on percentile, nor on "how you did compared to others."

AAMC (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/85436/preparing_understandingscores.html)
"Examinees often ask if earning a high score or higher percentile is easier or harder at different times of the testing year. They ask whether they have a better chance of earning a higher score in April or in August, for example. The question is based on an assumption that the exam is scored on a curve, and that a final score is dependent on how an individual performed in comparison to other examinees from the same test day or same time of year.
While there may be small differences in the MCAT exam you took compared to another examinee, the scoring process accounts for these differences so that an 8 earned on physical sciences on one exam means the same thing as an 8 earned on any other exam. The percentile provided on your score report simply indicates what percentage of examinees from the previous testing year scored the same as you did on the MCAT exam."

Theoretically, the difficulty of the questions on any officially administered MCAT exam that counts towards the final score (i.e., excluding the trial questions every exam includes unbeknownst to the examinee) has already been predetermined by the AAMC through methods that remain unknown; this is how the AAMC decides whether the scale is 50-52 = 15 or 51-52 = 15 for any given section it administers officially. One could speculate that the trial questions given to previous examinees serve the purpose of feeding raw data to the AAMC for the purposes of determining question difficulty, thus lending some validity to the argument that one's score is benchmarked against others' performance, but this theory has neither been proven nor disproven to date.

Now, obviously AAMC can do whatever the hell it pleases and not have to follow what it says, but I highly doubt that it would go so far as to lying completely through its teeth on its official pages to examinees about how they score the test.

Not to freak people out but you never know if you had a bad day or didn't preform up to average.

You are incorrect. The MCAT is not graded on a bell curve. The overall score distributions aren't exactly a bell curve if you look up the histogram data. It's close to a bell curve because with a huge sample size of ~50k examinees a year, a bell curve will result; basically, the law of statistics says that a large sample size would tend to give a normal distribution, and the aggregate MCAT data is proof that the law holds in reality. Grading is NOT based on percentile, nor on "how you did compared to others."

AAMC (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/85436/preparing_understandingscores.html)
"Examinees often ask if earning a high score or higher percentile is easier or harder at different times of the testing year. They ask whether they have a better chance of earning a higher score in April or in August, for example. The question is based on an assumption that the exam is scored on a curve, and that a final score is dependent on how an individual performed in comparison to other examinees from the same test day or same time of year.
While there may be small differences in the MCAT exam you took compared to another examinee, the scoring process accounts for these differences so that an 8 earned on physical sciences on one exam means the same thing as an 8 earned on any other exam. The percentile provided on your score report simply indicates what percentage of examinees from the previous testing year scored the same as you did on the MCAT exam."

Theoretically, the difficulty of the questions on any officially administered MCAT exam that counts towards the final score (i.e., excluding the trial questions every exam includes unbeknownst to the examinee) has already been predetermined by the AAMC through methods that remain unknown; this is how the AAMC decides whether the scale is 50-52 = 15 or 51-52 = 15 for any given section it administers officially. One could speculate that the trial questions given to previous examinees serve the purpose of feeding raw data to the AAMC for the purposes of determining question difficulty, thus lending some validity to the argument that one's score is benchmarked against others' performance, but this theory has neither been proven nor disproven to date.

Now, obviously AAMC can do whatever the hell it pleases and not have to follow what it says, but I highly doubt that it would go so far as to lying completely through its teeth on its official pages to examinees about how they score the test.

Oh okay I've read a lot of threads about this and it's always been an arbitrary topic. But your explanation makes sense. Thanks for the clarification

Oh okay I've read a lot of threads about this and it's always been an arbitrary topic. But your explanation makes sense. Thanks for the clarification
lol yeah, except it really shouldn't be arbitrary. We know some things, we don't know other things. It's all based in fact.

Made an account just for this thread. Averaging ~29.5 on AAMC FLs

2 PM test

PS: Wow. I don't know what to expect. Some questions/ passages were very straightforward while some were so convoluted and had multiple answers that felt right, despite a pretty firm grasp of the insanely disproportionally represented 2-3 physics topics that were on the test. Really; I can't tell if this is just remembering from the fog of war or what but it seemed every physics passage mainly touched on one of a few odd concepts that I would bet most people didn't spend a ton of time studying. Definitely had to have a strong conceptual understanding of physics. Gen chem felt okay. Expecting: 9-11

VR
: I felt this verbal section was easier than any practice VR section (from EK 101 and AAMC FLs) I had done. I thought the answers were fairly obvious compared to other tests so I imagine the scale on this section will be brutal. Expecting: 9-12

BS
: About on par with AAMC FLs 8-11 in terms of being mostly presented with new information in the form of an experiment, meaning this section is not easy to study for with content review. It is more like a VR/BS combo section. Some of the discrete questions were complicated but the orgo all felt pretty easy. I'm glad there were two passages of it. I instantly detected the ridiculousness of that one passage when I saw it and saved it for last, but I still had to guess on a lot of those questions. Hoping the WTF questions were experimental and that the scale isn't too harsh. Expecting: 10-12

Overall, this was a weird test; I feel very unsure of each section but I am fairly confident I will crack that magic number 30 since my last four FL scores were: 31, 30, 30, 30 (AAMC FLs 8,9,10, and 11). I would be SO HAPPY if I scored a 33-34, which was my original target score.

This wait is destroying me more than the test ever could.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ah another person thinks verbal was easy huh? nice. I didn't think ANY of the answers were obvious. but do you ever notice that if you DONT read the passage well, then ALL of the answer choices look kinda fishy? like being in a room with 4 strange, mean looking people and trying to pick the good guy

ah another person thinks verbal was easy huh? nice. I didn't think ANY of the answers were obvious. but do you ever notice that if you DONT read the passage well, then ALL of the answer choices look kinda fishy? like being in a room with 4 strange, mean looking people and trying to pick the good guy
I honestly think (and am desperately hoping) that the verbal felt so easy because I was in the zone under the pressure of the real test. Because I knew what was on the line, every passage seemed interesting and therefore the questions were easy to answer. Then again, I've read several posts of people saying they thought they did great on verbal and ended up with ~10. Hopefully I was lucky on the <5 questions I made educated guesses on and can pull a 12.

I wouldn't be upset with a 10. However, my best of the AAMC VR sections was a 12, and there were very few questions I was unsure of on the real deal. I think I need to have a good VR score (11-12) to pad the two crapshoot science sections, on which I wouldn't be surprised to find I'd gotten anywhere between 9-12. Keeping my fingers crossed that my guesses were on the mark that day!

Hi everyone, I'm actually taking the exam at a later date this month but was wondering.. Were the questions/passages on the exam pretty similar in difficulty to the practice AAMCs? And does anyone have a recommendation for the best verbal prep? TBR, EK1001? I've been getting 10s on the Kaplan VR, but when I started AAMC, it dropped down to a 6 :( help!

Hi everyone, I'm actually taking the exam at a later date this month but was wondering.. Were the questions/passages on the exam pretty similar in difficulty to the practice AAMCs? And does anyone have a recommendation for the best verbal prep? TBR, EK1001? I've been getting 10s on the Kaplan VR, but when I started AAMC, it dropped down to a 6 :( help!
TPRH and EK 101 for verbal, for sure.

I second the EK 101. Great explanations of each answer and really helps you with the wording/ little tricks the test writers use to try to throw you off.

I feel like I've been waiting for a month already. This is torture! I wish I was in school or something to help pass the time.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like I've been waiting for a month already. This is torture! I wish I was in school or something to help pass the time.
I agree. I was thinking today about the earlier discussion of whether the anticipation before the MCAT or the score anticipation. Honestly, I think this is worse because before, worrying about something would cause me to grab my books and confirm what I was unsure about. Now, the things I worry about have absolutely no recourse.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I am taking my exam on the 27th and was wondering if any of you did TBR and if the difficulty of the August 7th exam was anything like the TBR passages that are offered at the end of each section. Thank You.

I posted earlier a brief summary of my thoughts, but generally I'm having the impression that the 2pm ppl got it much worse

I posted earlier a brief summary of my thoughts, but generally I'm having the impression that the 2pm ppl got it much worse
I'm hoping that translates to those with a solid background of content and who kept their cool being pleasantly surprised by the scale.

Hi guys,
I am taking my exam on the 27th and was wondering if any of you did TBR and if the difficulty of the August 7th exam was anything like the TBR passages that are offered at the end of each section. Thank You.

you don't necessarily need to do a whole bunch of TBR passages, but DEFINITELY read the text and look at the little example problems they give within the chapter. there was a discrete question in my PS, I swear, was pretty much EXACTLY like a question I saw in TBR gen chem. got it in 10 seconds. TBR is legit for the sciences

Eh I just think there aren't many 8amers in this thread. There were a few of us that thought PS at 8am was miserable (similar to 2pm). You guys just have a bigger voice ;P