*** The Official Buffalo Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Continuing review aww yeah :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an email on Thursday saying that my application is complete and it may take several weeks to review my application. Does that mean I still have a chance at an interview?

received interview invitation via email this morning :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got one this morning as well! Hope too see some of you there.

Just scheduled my interview. In less than a week the window shifted by 14 days.

Same. Do we need to discuss how we will coordinate suits?

Awesomely terrible. Or terribly awesome.

It's like a timothy leary-designed clown grenade detonated in his closet.

My application was submitted August 16. I received "application ready for review" e-mail but nothing else afterwards.

Should I wait a little bit more to hear back from the school, or is it time to move on?

Thanks.

Anyone else interviewing on 10/3 ? Can anyone tell me if I can just take taxi to school from airport/ hotel? I dont want to rent car . How far is dental school from airport, any info would be highly appreciated. Thanks,
Hi, good luck on your interview my potential classmate! Mine is a week later and I saw that the school is about 20 mins away from the airport. So its probably good to stay near the school? Would you share your day after you are done?:) Thanks!

Interview scheduled to be on 10/10. =]

Members don't see this ad :)
7/3 AADSAS app received
7/4 made my supp payment
7/12 under review
8/26 invitation interview

interviewing 10/3 - 10/4.

I love Buffalo's update e-mails.

Interviewing in October. Let the fun begin!

if anyone could please elaborate on their interview experience and their stay in buffalo it would be extremely appreciated.... thank you everyone and good luck to all!

I just called the office today, they told me that I will receive an email in a couple of weeks but she didn't say whether it is interview/rejection. I am so worried! does anyone know what does this mean? is it rejection or should I still have some hopes?

Are they sending their rejections this early?

Last edited:
Are they sending their rejections this early?

I don't know if they are sending hard rejections, but I know the "continuing review" email is regarded, on here at least, as a thinly veiled rejection. That said, I know of a few students who were on that list, offered an interview post-dec, and ultimately accepted.

I am startiing to get nervous!! This is my #1 interview and only one so far out of 16. Schools!!
OMG !! Totally not ready, its next week. Batch #5

Anyone have any advice on hotel/motel and car rentals vs. taxi near UB?

Anyone have any advice on hotel/motel and car rentals vs. taxi near UB?
If you're just going for the interview, I'd stay somewhere near the airport. There's a strip of hotels across from the airport. I liked Fairfield Inn and Suites. Then take a taxi to the school (15 minutes away), and take a taxi back to the hotel as well. Most hotels have a free shuttle to the airport.

I'd only rent a car if I was going to be in the area for a couple days and wanted to explore.

Thank you free99.

Is anyone interviweing on 11/8 Friday?

Also periopocket and NDPitch, what are some good places to visit around Buffalo (food:D)??
My wife and I are definitely checking Niagara fall.

Has anyone had their interview yet and care to share any of the possible interview/writing sample questions? Thanks!

"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for admission to the 2014 Doctor of Dental Surgery program at the University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine.

The Admissions Committee has placed your application in "Continuing Review." The Continuing Review status means that, at this time, the Committee has not selected you to interview for admission to our program. All applications in Continuing Review receive periodic re-review, and a change in your status may occur. You will be informed immediately via email of any change in the status of your application. You may also find your current application status on the AADSAS Web Portal.

Thank you for your interest in the School of Dental Medicine, and congratulations on your decision to pursue a career in dentistry."

I am really Heart Broken at this moment, i know i don't have the greatest stat (19 AA, 19 TS) but i am really depressed right now :(

"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for admission to the 2014 Doctor of Dental Surgery program at the University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine.

The Admissions Committee has placed your application in "Continuing Review." The Continuing Review status means that, at this time, the Committee has not selected you to interview for admission to our program. All applications in Continuing Review receive periodic re-review, and a change in your status may occur. You will be informed immediately via email of any change in the status of your application. You may also find your current application status on the AADSAS Web Portal.

Thank you for your interest in the School of Dental Medicine, and congratulations on your decision to pursue a career in dentistry."

I am really Heart Broken at this moment, i know i don't have the greatest stat (19 AA, 19 TS) but i am really depressed right now :(

when did u get this ? when did u get the application under review email ?

i got this email tonight at 10:07 p.m, i got the application under review email Aug 3rd. why?

Just got an interview for October 31st! So excited!

7/3 AADSAS app received
7/4 made my supp payment
7/12 under review
8/26 invitation interview

interviewing 10/3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I just had my interview today. :) I decided to update you guys before I take a nap. The interview is from 8:30 - 1:30pm ish. The other interviewees and I were just chit chatting and it was a very friendly environment. No sign of hostility throughout the entire process.

- Barbara was the "host" and was with us from the beginning and the end. She was the first and last person to talk and gave us our folder, water, and welcomed us to Buffalo
- Dr.Brown who's the admissions director came, played one of those commercial Buffalo dental school video that makes people fall in love with schools. Then they called us one by one for a standard interview and case study interview. So we were chilling in this room with other students -- all very friendly! -- then one of the interviewers would call us to the interview room.

the standard interview was pretty normal. i had three interviewers (1 faculty, 2 fourth years). why dentistry? what do you do to relax? what would you like the committees to know when we review you? do you have any questions for us.

then i went back to the big group where i found 7-9? (i didn't count) current dental students for us to ask questions. Sometimes the room was filled with awkward silence, but i honestly loved the student-student interaction. they were straightforward, honest, and some even told us what their other school options were and why they chose Buffalo. I could tell there was a diversity in the personalities. one was married. one loved dogs. one said she didn't have a life while the other confessed to being more social oriented than work. i liked the vibe i got from them.

Throughout it all, they encouraged us to ask questions and continued to emphasize that it was a two way street. they want us to also figure out if the school is right for them. Dr.Brown said this couple of times throughout the day which I found to be refreshing. He led the case study interview; that was a one-on-one. he set up a timer so everyone got equal timing. I cant say for other but for me, the question was about serving in underserved population.

then we did a school tour led by the dental students. It appeared to me that the students were not very prepared for the school tour cause they were discussing out loud where they should show us but I understand that dental school life is super busy. it's not a huge deal. we did see some of the clinics and labs. students asked us if we had any questions multiple times. got a bit annoying after awhile... but they were just trying to make us more comfortable i guess.

lastly, we returned to the big room and had lunch with the interviewer and the students. some of the conversations were completely irrelevant to dental school ,which i found to be refreshing. there was a fourth year student who loved playing piano (did so professionally and studied it in college). for him, "money" was the first word that came out of his mouth when asked why he chose buffalo. and the interviewer i had was talking about his post-doc days.

overall, very relaxed and friendly. welcomes all types of questions and one way or another, you get the answers.

hope that was helpful! Best of luck and just PM me if you've any other questions.

Hey, I think is unethical to post so much details about our interview today!! Let everyone have an equal opportunity to experience of not knowing what to expect :)..it's more fun like that...

Hey girl! Hope you got home safely! I did write a lot, didn't I? But I don't feel that I've ruined the prospective applicants future interview experience as some of these activities were outlined in the e mails. Their experience will still be different but I wrote it as more of an assurance that it'd be fine. Ill try to delete it if I get more objections. :)

Although I did read this before the interview and this guys is mad specific. http://dds.iamdooser.org/2010/08/university-at-buffalo-school-of-dental-medicine-interview/

Forgot to mention (thanks to those who PMed)

Yes, there was a writing portion. It was the first thing we did. Very straightforward question. I write slow and I feel like I was the last to finish haha.

Hey girl! Hope you got home safely! I did write a lot, didn't I? But I don't feel that I've ruined the prospective applicants future interview experience as some of these activities were outlined in the e mails. Their experience will still be different but I wrote it as more of an assurance that it'd be fine. Ill try to delete it if I get more objections. :)

Although I did read this before the interview and this guys is mad specific. http://dds.iamdooser.org/2010/08/university-at-buffalo-school-of-dental-medicine-interview/[/QUOT

hey, ok so to add to questions you mentioned I had some ethical issues questions involving dentistry!! Other questions related to my job and how to handle several emergency situations..but yes, it was a nice and fun environment!! Will 100% consider attending this school =)

longtime lurker, first time poster.
strong gpa, weak DAT because of chem, and QR. lots of ECs. Late applying - so only interview invite. I really need to start cramming for this interview.

Are there other places to find buffalo specific questions other than SDN?

Forgot to mention (thanks to those who PMed)

Yes, there was a writing portion. It was the first thing we did. Very straightforward question. I write slow and I feel like I was the last to finish haha.

Where can I find more info on the writing portion?

longtime lurker, first time poster.
strong gpa, weak DAT because of chem, and QR. lots of ECs. Late applying - so only interview invite. I really need to start cramming for this interview.

when did you submit app or completed?:)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what exactly is the case study? What does it entail?thank you for your time.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what exactly is the case study? What does it entail?thank you for your time.

The case study is just a question that there is no right/wrong answer..you get few minutes to read it and give your opinion then based on your answer Dr..Brown will ask you more questions to elaborate your answer..he can agree or not agree with your answer, so I think is more like a debate on specific topic...
what I got from this? After thinking about the purpose of this is to see how you can handle a situation where you disagree with someone..and its probably to see you will react if you are to experience this with an unhappy patient..well, just my opinion..good luck everyone =)

Hello everyone! I will be flying into buffalo on Wednesday for my interview on Thursday 10/17. If anyone is flying in or around on wednesday and would like to meet up for a bit please let me know. Would be nice since i kmow noone in the area lol. Good luck to everyone on getting in this cycle. Im hoping for the best..

app was submitted 8/6 and just received a "continuing review" email this afternoon. not happy :(

ugh just got this email today! how depressing!

Just got the continuing review email too :( does this mean rejection chance is high?

9/13 - Application complete.
10/14 - Invite!
Low GPA, high DAT.
In-state.

So stoked!

Hi KumquatWrath & ddsjyoti,

I got the same "continuing review" emails twice. It seems that they want to emphasize that. Hopefully, something better will come out soon. Anyway, let's cross our fingers :).

Did everyone that interviewd there received an email with instructions for applying for the dual DDS/MBA degree program? I just got this email today and not sure if I should apply? I think I need to be accepted first, right? I interviewed on October 3!! Anyone else got this email and considering applying?

Did everyone that interviewd there received an email with instructions for applying for the dual DDS/MBA degree program? I just got this email today and not sure if I should apply? I think I need to be accepted first, right? I interviewed on October 3!! Anyone else got this email and considering applying?

I got the email, don't plan on applying. If you're interested, you apply separately to the business school, which has a whole host of other requirements and pre-reqs if I'm not mistaken.