The Official January 13, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinipela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who will be joining me on this day?

112 days left!

Members don't see this ad.

Test date: 1/13/2015
Time: 8:00 AM
AAMC average: 30.16 (including a 26 outlier)
AAMC 8-10 average: 30.6
Post test expected score: 29-32
Actual score: 33 (11, 12, 10)

I only scored a 33 ONCE during practices, so I really did not think this was possible. I took this one as a just in case, but I am very happy with the score. Already got match to Texas A&M med school on Feb 2 with my old score of 26 though! So if you ended up with a bad score, but you have a good GPA and experience, have hope.
Nice job!

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC average (3,4,5,7,9): 26
AAMC average (minus AAMC 5): 28
AAMC 9: 29 (Did not take 10-11)
Post test expected score: 26 (7/11/8)
Actual score: x/x/x

At this point, I'd be happy with any score that will enable me to apply to DO schools. That was the goal from the beginning. This test was the worst, but I have no regrets. I learned resilience and conquered a great fear by simply sitting down to write it. Even if I don't get into medical school, I feel I have closure for actually attempting this exam. This may seem melodramatic but I had built this test up in my head for years. It took me 9 months to even attempt the self-assessments because I was so scared. Nowadays, I'd have no trouble sitting down for a diagnostic.

Actual score: balanced 27 :D

I'm ecstatic despite all you amazing high scorers (congratulations!!). My expectations were very low and it was hard to keep the faith in my average. I knew that one misstep on the exam would mean a retake. I don't have to retake now. I'm going to apply to DO school and I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: 2 users
Actual score: balanced 27 :D

I'm ecstatic despite all you amazing high scorers (congratulations!!). My expectations were very low and it was hard to keep the faith in my average. I knew that one misstep on the exam would mean a retake. I don't have to retake now. I'm going to apply to DO school and I couldn't be happier.
Major congrats!!! Really happy for you considering you were worried for a <25!

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC average: 30.83
AAMC 10-11 average: 31 (only took AAMC 10)
Post test expected score: 24-32
Actual score: 35 (11/10/14)

I never scored higher than a 11 in BS on any practice test! I just really hope this score can make up for my low GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, I appreciate that. I got a 25. If I had pulled off even a 27, I might have considered it. I'm not so much worried about the money..just seems like it'd be a pointless exercise at this point. Maybe I'll change my mind in a few days.

Does DMU look good to you? They accepted a pretty prolific poster here who had a 25 and a ~3.4. You should definitely try. Make sure you get a DO letter and a good personal statement, hit submit and sit back. Either way you'll be working on your application this upcoming year, right? So just roll the dice if money is not a big issue.

I lost, congrats to all those who have done well.
Actual score 23
I worked really hard, but it doesn't appear to have payed off.
I do not know where I stand

My AAMC scores ranged from 20-30 with an upward trend.
My actual score is a 25 ( 8 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS)

I'm seriously wondering whether to apply to any MD schools with this score. :( I'm Pacific Islander, so I'm URM.
Ugh, I just dread the idea of studying for this again.

AAMC average: 28.6
AAMC 10-11 average: 29.5
Post test expected score: 26
Actual score: 30 (9/11/10)

My AAMC scores ranged from 20-30 with an upward trend.
My actual score is a 25 ( 8 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS)

I'm seriously wondering whether to apply to any MD schools with this score. :( I'm Pacific Islander, so I'm URM.
Ugh, I just dread the idea of studying for this again.
Go ahead and apply smartly and broadly. Your score is exactly average. It isn't bad.

Go ahead and apply smartly and broadly. Your score is exactly average. It isn't bad.

Do you really think so?

I looked at AAMC statistics and apparently they get fewer than 100 pacific islanders in the nation that apply to medical school....I really hope that will help my chances.

I have tons of research experience and enough clinical experience. GPA is average i think (3.5)

Do you really think so?

I looked at AAMC statistics and apparently they get fewer than 100 pacific islanders in the nation that apply to medical school....I really hope that will help my chances.

I have tons of research experience and enough clinical experience. GPA is average i think (3.5)
I've seen white people on SDN get accepted with a 25. As a Pacific Islander you're chances are better than ours. Throw in a few DO applications. If that doesn't appeal to you, really consider why -- it's the exact same job and almost everyone hates the more nebulous aspects of OMM/doesn't use it when they graduate. You'll never know unless you try. Do a lot of research on your school list as well so that you don't waste time/effort/money.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how long are these scores valid for?
3 years.

I'd like to start tutoring this test ASAP, but I have to familiarize myself with the new test. Argh. I just started research so I think I may not even bother. This past month of not even thinking about this test was pretty nice.

3 years.

I'd like to start tutoring this test ASAP, but I have to familiarize myself with the new test. Argh. I just started research so I think I may not even bother. This past month of not even thinking about this test was pretty nice.
Kaplan and TPR want people with 35+ so it doesn't hurt to see if they would hire you. At the moment none of their staff will be truly expert in the new exam anyway. Also, it used to be that if you tutored for Kaplan you get a major discount on USMLE Qbanks down the road.

2015, here I come.
even worse, there are no spots open for a may 2015 score, I just can't go on.......

Last edited:
Kaplan and TPR want people with 35+ so it doesn't hurt to see if they would hire you. At the moment none of their staff will be truly expert in the new exam anyway. Also, it used to be that if you tutored for Kaplan you get a major discount on USMLE Qbanks down the road.

Cool, I'll look into it but I'm not liking what I'm reading (double the length, all these new subjects). I think I'll just take it easy for a few days before I think about making that kind of commitment. I just must say that I feel very grateful for being able to take one of the very last versions of this MCAT.

I think I'll lurk around the MCAT Study Questions section a bit since I always liked lurking there and helping out if I could.

12/9/11 32Q
I was hoping for my average of 34, but honestly...I'll take it. I'm so thankful and relieved this stage is over. With my ECs and letters I feel good about applying to the schools in my state.
Congrats to all you guys! Seriously, this test is no joke, go out and celebrate. Years down the line when you become a physician, this number will be the least of your worries. I know someone who got a 27, got into an MD school and graduated first in her class. My dad went to med school in Egypt and got ONE fellowship interview...to one of the most competitive programs in the country (which he won). Anything is possible, have faith!! We got this far, didn't we? :)

Oh...not to mention another AWESOME friend who went the DO route and is in a fantastic cardio residency...THE DREAM LIVES ON

Reactions: 4 users
Do you really think so?

Yes! You should still apply! For URM's with your GPA and MCAT score, you have a greater than 50% chance of getting in. (See link below.) Throw in a ton of clinical experience and the fact that so few Pacific Islander's apply, and you're probably doing better than that by quite a bit. Personally, I'd apply with a 53.4% chance of acceptance any day but I wouldn't be surprised if your odds are a lot better than that.

If you don't apply, your odds are exactly zero.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

AAMC average: 33
AAMC 8-10 average: 33
Post test expected score: 28-31
Actual score: 30 (09, 10, 11)

Overall I'm happy! Not sure if I should retake, wasn't expecting a 9 in verbal.... My GPA is a 3.9 with good experiences, so I really don't know what to do. Don't want to do this againnnn

Yes! You should still apply! For URM's with your GPA and MCAT score, you have a greater than 50% chance of getting in. (See link below.) Throw in a ton of clinical experience and the fact that so few Pacific Islander's apply, and you're probably doing better than that by quite a bit. Personally, I'd apply with a 53.4% chance of acceptance any day but I wouldn't be surprised if your odds are a lot better than that.

If you don't apply, your odds are exactly zero.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

I was looking through these and I had a hard time figuring out what category Pacific Islanders fit in.

Hey guys. My AAMC average 11-10 was a 33.5. I left this exam feeling pretty bad, as I felt tired taking it. I got a 31. I have a 3.74 GPA as of right now and I'm not at all concerned with my extracurriculars. I'd like to get into a top tier school. I don't doubt I'd do better if I retested. Any opinions?

AAMC average: 27
AAMC 10-11 average: 26
Post test expected score: 30
Actual score: 27 (9/9/9)

Satisfied with verbal. Unsatisfied with PS & BS. I haven't scored a 9 in BS since I started prepping 9 months ago. I don't even know what to do now... AAMC says I have a 61% chance of acceptance... I guess I'll go ahead and roll the dice this cycle for MD and definitely look into DO schools.
I guess it really is true that you score you average... even if you think you did better. Regardless, congrats to all the high scorers and congrats to everyone for having this exam down! Let's go achieve greatness in some other aspect of life!

AAMC average: ~29
AAMC 10-11 average: 32 (only took 10)
Post test expected score: 27-32
Actual score: 30 (11VR, 10PS, 09BS)

Can't complain! Hopefully will be enough to get me into an MD school! Congrats to all those that got what they were hoping for! For all those that scored lower than you had hoped, you can bring it up! This is my second time taking the test (I got a 26 in May), just don't lose hope and work your butt off and you can certainly bring it up!

AAMC average (5-11): 32
AAMC 10-11 average: 30.5 (32 on AAMC 11)
Post test expected score: Trivial.
Actual score: 32 (11PS, 11VR, 10BS)

I'm surprised how accurate the last few tests were, especially since my actual score met my AAMC 11 score. Best of wishes to all who participated, I'm certain you'll all go far and do excellent things. I've certainly learned a lot about myself through this process, and I'm a more disciplined individual coming out of it.

It's striking to me that we're the last group to have encountered the "old" exam. The last time the exam underwent a major change was in 1992 (23 years ago!), so I feel privileged to have been subject to the same experience that has produced over two decades worth of clinicians. The "old" exam certainly has an aura of antiquity about it, and although I don't think it'll make me feel more aged as time goes by, I'm sure it'll make me feel more accomplished. Godspeed.

Oh, and a huge shout-out to Chad and his phenomenal videos! For those wondering, Chads videos + TPRH SW + TPRH Verbal + AAMC FLs = Golden.

Last edited:
AAMC average (5-11): retaker so exaggerated
AAMC 10-11 average: It was about 36 but again...exaggerated
Post test expected score: idklol
Actual score: 34 (12PS, 9VR, 13BS)

wooooo the happies are everywhereeee. I'm a retaker and I got a 27 the first time (11PS, 6VR, 10BS) so I'm ecstatic

However...Immunology mt tmrw....oy

AAMC average (5-11): Less than 30. Took it all before my 1st MCAT
AAMC 10-11 average: 27. Took it before my 1st MCAT
Post test expected score: 25-28. To be honest, I felt like crap after the MCAT.
Actual score: 29 (11PS, 8VR, 10BS)

Took it the first time in Jan 2014 with a month of preparation. Scored a 24. Prepared for it again in Dec 2014 and scored a 29 this time. Preparing for the MCAT was tough for me especially BS because I didn't do AP bio and the only related module I took in college is Anatomy and Physiology. I was honestly surprised that I scored above average and I'm quite pleased with my results.

I guess I won't be taking the new MCAT anymore. :)

Okay actual score: 29!

9/9/11

Did worse in verbal than I thought and better in bs and ps. Verbal was so weird because I felt I did pretty good on it. Holy crap I'm so happy I don't have to do this again as I'm trying to go DO mostly. Happy that the score is balanced too.

Literally got my AAMC 10-11 average!
Congrats! That's a great score!

AAMC average: 35.667
AAMC 10-11 average: 37.5
Post test expected score: 33 (11-10-12)
Actual score: 35!! (12-10-13)

Beyond happy and relieved :) congrats to everyone else who hit their goal as well!

AAMC average: ~31
AAMC 10-11 average: 29 (only took 11)
Post test expected score: Head says 28 (10 7 11), Heart says 35 ( 12 10 13)
Actual score: 27(10 7 10)
I knew I will have to retake after that awful experience. I am not surprised by the 7 on the verbal since that was the highest that I got on the practice. I am fine with the PS since I thought I blew that but I am a bit surprised by the 10 on the BS since I thought I did very well aside from those orgo passages. I guess those must have killed my score. Overall it was a good experience but I was hoping that I dont have to retake. Oh well, time to hit the books again! Congrats to all who got their desired score!

1st Test: 7/12/2014 (25 => 8PS, 8VR, 9BS)
2nd Test : 1/13/2015
AAMC average (5-11): ~31 (29-35 range)
AAMC 10-11 average: 31
Post test expected score: 31 (I was feeling consistent :))
Actual score: 32 (11PS, 10VR, 11BS) +7 from previous score

This is my first time posting to SDN, but I thought I would share my score for encouragement for retakers. I took my first MCAT a few weeks after completing a 1 year post-bacc program and quickly realized the difficulty of managing both school and MCAT studying, as I'm sure many of you know. After receiving my score, which was a few points below my average, I knew I could do much better. So I signed up for a January retake to allow myself time to do a complete MCAT course (Kaplan) while working full time.

For those of you who are thinking of retaking, I can tell you that it is definitely possible to boost your score dramatically, but you need to be prepared to commit everything you have to staying motivated and consistent with your game plan. While I don't know what the 2015 MCAT will bring, I do know that this test definitely does not define you. It's just a big hurdle that everyone must face along the way. Take it as a fresh start... who knows, the new MCAT might just be your jam!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys. My AAMC average 11-10 was a 33.5. I left this exam feeling pretty bad, as I felt tired taking it. I got a 31. I have a 3.74 GPA as of right now and I'm not at all concerned with my extracurriculars. I'd like to get into a top tier school. I don't doubt I'd do better if I retested. Any opinions?

31 is great! I found this link helpful when I was planning to retake: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/data/mcat_stats/

While your score of 31 is much higher than my first exam, you have to be certain that you will improve. Given your score, and according to AAMC, 36% of retakers either got the same score or lower. I imagine this will also be true for the new exam (based on percentile improvement).

Last edited:
Hey guysi got a 28 (10,8,10) and am a urm with a cGPA 3.56 & sGPA3.69. 100 hours of volunteering, and 100 shadowing. work in a hospital lab for 2 years. do i have a good chance at MD schools ? had to work while going to school so i dont have much EC. But i have extensive healthcare experience

Hey guysi got a 28 (10,8,10) and am a urm with a cGPA 3.56 & sGPA3.69. 100 hours of volunteering, and 100 shadowing. work in a hospital lab for 2 years. do i have a good chance at MD schools ? had to work while going to school so i dont have much EC. But i have extensive healthcare experience

I believe you do, but you should apply broadly and realistically. Are you considering to retake?

I believe you do, but you should apply broadly and realistically. Are you considering to retake?

Honestly i don't wanna do a retake only because i took it the first time and scored a 22. I so wasn't ready the 1st time wish i had just void it. yeah am not trying to aim for schools like yale etc... i know with my numbers that aint gonna happen. Using MSAR am applying to schools that my MCAT falls withiun 10-90th percentile

I type this rant +pity+as I wake up from my post-test coma in my hotel room. My drugs have worn off and I am sipping DayQuil Severe Cold and Flu waiting for it to kick in. That's right folks- this beach babe flew all the way to Minnesota to take this freaking test… and drum role, despite my flu shot, probably has Flu A.:barf: (Rounded with peds on Friday, can't tell you how many cases I saw) Felt tired and a little sluggish Saturday, but friends flew in from out of town and we stayed out late since i hadn't seen them in years. I figured I felt worse Sunday because lack of sleep, then hopped on a plane, and experienced dramatic weather changes. I went to bed really early to make up for the late night. Despite the extra rest, Monday I was really feeling bad, everything was aching, lost my voice, and was so tired I fell asleep at the movie theatre- I have no idea about 3/4 of the Hobbit. BAM- wake up Tuesday morning and a freaking truck has ran my behind over. :hurting:

The decision- consider the literally 2 K invested in this weekend is now down the drain or do I forge ahead? A few schools I applied to require a 30 for its scholarship (WHY is one test potentially going to cost me more than 80K?!? in missed scholarship opportunities- oh and that amount plus interest over 30 yrs- oh dear!):greedy:

I decided to warn :stop: all my surrounding test takers, administrators, and sanitize like crazy.

My test thoughts...

Umm the PS section… no thank you!! :nailbiting:I didn't even answer 5 questions :( I've never not finished early with time to check back! My fever spiking about halfway probably did not help. I'm sure the people on video were watching my face turn cherry red. I was thrown off my game. I planned on taking my 10 min break before verbal, but was afraid I would lose my nerve so I pushed through. Usually verbal is my strongest and I feel awesome- not this time. I felt like I couldn't "get into the passages" like I normally do. So at this point I was debating if I should just call it a day and go to urgent care. :nurse:Then I took my break, and started the BS. The first passage I took as a sign I should keep going- my family member has this condition. I forged forward, but goodness the difficult orgo questions. Needless to say I stared at the void for almost the whole 5 minutes. I didn't void, but I feel like I should have.

Anyways my flight leaves in a few hours. If you are in the airports today and see a petite lady looking like this, its for your own good! :mask: Off to see my doc as soon as I land! I hope the curve is gracious, if not I hope admins have compassion for my dismal scores.

**Thought I would give you guys an update- It was Flu A and a sinus infection….and I should have gone with my gut. It was a TERRIBLE score! For all those inuitives out there always go with your gut feeling!** I wonder if I sent the AAMC my doctor's excuse if they would void it?