The Official January 13, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinipela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who will be joining me on this day?

112 days left!

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours a day do you guys sleep? I used to sleep 4-5 hours, but I get so exhausted that now even 6 hours isn't enough for me

How many hours a day do you guys sleep? I used to sleep 4-5 hours, but I get so exhausted that now even 6 hours isn't enough for me

It varies. But I am averaging.. 6 hours a night and usually have a recovery day where I sleep 8 hours. I work also so its rough...so so rough. Last week ..good luck

Yes, it's very rough, but it'll be worth it in 3 months. I'm taking 10 minute naps whenever I feel so exhausted I have no idea what I'm studying. Best of luck to you too! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's very rough, but it'll be worth it in 3 months. I'm taking 10 minute naps whenever I feel so exhausted I have no idea what I'm studying. Best of luck to you too! :)

Yes I hope. I am ready to have some of my life back. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
I naturally sleep between 6-7 hours a night. I'm also 27. When I was 21 I needed 8- 8.5 hours.

I am using Nova physics to practice physics and TBR. I feel like there's not enough hours in the day.....

Any advice on how to consistently break the double digit sub section barrier? I've been getting either 9s or 10s on the sub sections and it's quite frustrating haha

Any advice on how to consistently break the double digit sub section barrier? I've been getting either 9s or 10s on the sub sections and it's quite frustrating haha

What tests are you using? Do you mean AAMC practice tests? I haven't started any tests yet, but I'm hoping doing well on the TBR passages will correlate to high scores on the subsections of the practice AAMCs.

I've been getting 4 hours a night this week but that's because I work full time and have been attempting to follow the sn2 schedule. I'm securing a part time job right now so I can quit my full time position. I'm about 2 days behind on my study schedule which is stressing me out!!

I've been getting 4 hours a night this week but that's because I work full time and have been attempting to follow the sn2 schedule. I'm securing a part time job right now so I can quit my full time position. I'm about 2 days behind on my study schedule which is stressing me out!!

Deep breath! Well you are securing a part time job so I hope that goes through! When it does...you will feel so much better and will not be behind! I went down to part time job status ...for this test. Less money..more time.

Deep breath! Well you are securing a part time job so I hope that goes through! When it does...you will feel so much better and will not be behind! I went down to part time job status ...for this test. Less money..more time.

It definitely sucks that choosing part time is really the only option for us, but I'm really looking forward to having the majority of my day be available for mcat prep. I'm also really looking forward to sleep when I get home lol

It definitely sucks that choosing part time is really the only option for us, but I'm really looking forward to having the majority of my day be available for mcat prep. I'm also really looking forward to sleep when I get home lol

Ahaha. I worked full time for about...7 months and it was extremely difficult for me to do studying. Props to you for still being able to do it, even if its a little at a time! You will not regret this. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What tests are you using? Do you mean AAMC practice tests? I haven't started any tests yet, but I'm hoping doing well on the TBR passages will correlate to high scores on the subsections of the practice AAMCs.
Sorry, I should clarify I'm using the BR passages at the end of each chapter with their little score correlation thing they have. My last AAMC (which was a while ago) went 9/9/8. So literally all I do is flirt with the 9-10 range.

Does anyone have experience with the old EK Verbal 101 passages book? I know it was made ten years ago but I was just curious if it would be beneficial for verbal practice! Thanks!
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1413643368.527268.jpg

I have heard good things about EK verbal. Trying searching for posts about it on SDN for more testimonials..
Yeah, I have the more current verbal book, but there's only 14 practice tests in it so I know I am going to run out quickly if I am doing one each day! that's why I'm curious if the old book is just as helpful....

Yeah, I have the more current verbal book, but there's only 14 practice tests in it so I know I am going to run out quickly if I am doing one each day! that's why I'm curious if the old book is just as helpful....

Definitely get EK Verbal and 101EK verbal. The more practice you have the better! I did a ton of Berkeley passages, and am doing Kaplan verbal, have TPRH verbal and EK Verbal. Too much practice never hurt anyone.

Hello all, I am signed up for this date! I am taking full time classes here and just started studying. I feel really behind.

Hello all, I am signed up for this date! I am taking full time classes here and just started studying. I feel really behind.

Congrats on getting a seat! I am currently 8 days behind my schedule, and I am working hard to play catch up. I've cut back on sleep and social activities until I can get in a more stable study pattern. Don't worry, there's time! Just look where you can make some adjustments to your daily schedule to fit in quality study time.

Joining yall!

I studied hardcore all summer from May to August and had an August 27th test but canceled a week before. I was scoring about average but know I can get my score up if I keep nailing passages throughout the semester.
It was the best decision I could've made. I'm sooooooo confident in my knowledge now and am scoring >80% on TBR passages.

Let's do this thing yall!

Reactions: 3 users
I officially started Oct 29, so your in the same boat! Just finished reviewing my examkracker passages for the day, kinda sucks this is what my Halloween was wasted on. Oh well, gotta sacrifice. Got a biochem exam coming up to!

Hello, does anyone have a spot in California but actually live in Texas or nearby anytime in Jan? I need a spot in California but so far I signed up for the one in Texas (Lubbock, Jan 13th)--due to no spot anyone else...please let me know so if we can do some instantaneous swap? Thank you!!

Yeah!! I finally got one in California. For those who are still looking, do not be despair, just keep checking! Best hopes!

doin dis.

4th times a charm.

I need to raise my verbal by one point to quality for a school.

#gametime

Just booked a spot for this date today!! I got really lucky and found a spot near my house. Gotta officially start studying now...

Hello all!

I'm selling all of the MCAT books I used to prepare. I am willing to negotiate. As an MCAT instructor, I encourage people to supplement their self study (EK) with TPR.

PM me if anyone is interested to buy some additional books for their preparation.
I am selling everything as a package for only 140$.

Individual prices:
Kaplan - $60

All books in completely new condition. All books newest class edition.
  • Verbal Reasoning, Physics, Chem, Orgo, Bio

The Princeton Review - $100 for all of them- BRAND NEW
All books in completely new condition - no markings at all. All books newest edition.
  • VR, Biology, Chemistry, Orgo, Physics.

Examkrackers Textbooks $50
All books in completely new condition - no markings at all. All books newest edition.
  • Physics, Chem, Bio and Organic Chemistry
PM me if you are interested in negotiating prices.

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

"According to our records, you attempted to reschedule your MCAT reservations on Tuesday but experienced technical errors that disrupted the process. It appears your reschedule attempt was successful;"

I got a seat!!! This is great news.

It begins.

I have posted on a few of the MCAT links but thought I would also post here. I have a set of old EK 5th edition. This was from when the test was paper. Should I pick up the new set 9th edition or just supplement with the books for new material?

I have the 7th edition... And i don't think I would get 9th edition... Because the information of science doesn't change.

hey all I will be taking this MCAT as well. Just figured I would jump into the thread, gl studying!

Hi everyone!! So I'm finally finishing up content review and will start tackling more practice tests starting next week. I took 2 full lengths so far and I'm a little concerned because I've been scoring dismally. I got a 22(PS-7,VR-7,BS-8) on AAMC #3 which I took before I started studying and I scored even lower on AAMC #6 (got a 19: PS-6, VR-7, BS-6) which I took in the middle of content review. Anyone else score in this range in the beginning of their studies? For both exams, I wasn't able to finish all the passages, so I've really been working on timing. Hopefully I can start seeing more dramatic improvements after taking a couple more practice exams.

Also, I have a full time job in biotech on top of all this. Anyone else going through the same?

Hey everyone! I'll be taking my MCAT on this day to. Just wanted to wish everyone the best! We're all gonna rock it!

Hi everyone!! So I'm finally finishing up content review and will start tackling more practice tests starting next week. I took 2 full lengths so far and I'm a little concerned because I've been scoring dismally. I got a 22(PS-7,VR-7,BS-8) on AAMC #3 which I took before I started studying and I scored even lower on AAMC #6 (got a 19: PS-6, VR-7, BS-6) which I took in the middle of content review. Anyone else score in this range in the beginning of their studies? For both exams, I wasn't able to finish all the passages, so I've really been working on timing. Hopefully I can start seeing more dramatic improvements after taking a couple more practice exams.

Also, I have a full time job in biotech on top of all this. Anyone else going through the same?

Any improvement?

Dont take all the AAMCs right away if you have other FL exams. Save some for mid to late december. I was in a similar boat as you. Full time employment with no Bio background. I studied exactly for 1 month (including content review!), but took Kaplan exams first...I started with a 25 on thir diagnostic test, and ended up with a 34 on the real thing.
I wasn't able to finish all passages intially either.

Anyone else not started taking FLs yet? I'm finishing up biology this weekend and re-reading magnetism before getting underway with FLs. I only got two weeks of winter break this year (of all years...) so I think I need to take one or two FLs before winter break.

Anyone else not started taking FLs yet? I'm finishing up biology this weekend and re-reading magnetism before getting underway with FLs. I only got two weeks of winter break this year (of all years...) so I think I need to take one or two FLs before winter break.

I have done 3... Which was like a month ago. Gonna restart em ...like soon. >.>

Any improvement?

I just finished taking AAMC #5. I scored a 24 (PS-7, VR-8, BS-9) so it's a 2 point improvement from AAMC #3 and a 5 point improvement from AAMC #6.

I definitely know I still have holes in my content especially in the physical sciences, so hopefully I can hone in on those and see more dramatic improvements.

I've started watching Chad's videos and they seem to be really helpful.

We have 43 days left!! (T^T)

I just finished taking AAMC #5. I scored a 24 (PS-7, VR-8, BS-9) so it's a 2 point improvement from AAMC #3 and a 5 point improvement from AAMC #6.

I definitely know I still have holes in my content especially in the physical sciences, so hopefully I can hone in on those and see more dramatic improvements.

I've started watching Chad's videos and they seem to be really helpful.

We have 43 days left!! (T^T)

Keep me updated! I'm in similar shoes to you, I have only taken 3 and 4 but taking 8 on tuesday so we'll see what happens!

Keep me updated! I'm in similar shoes to you, I have only taken 3 and 4 but taking 8 on tuesday so we'll see what happens!

Will do!

How did you do on #3 and #4?

I'm probably going to take another AAMC exam in a week and a half. I'm still having timing issues, so I'll probably do a Kaplan full length sometime in the middle of the week.

The schedule that I made for myself has me beginning AAMC FL in two weeks with two days of reviewing each FL after (I have already taken FL 3 and FL 11 from my last try at the MCAT). I made about 800 flash cards total during my review which made it take longer, but i will continuously go through those as I take FL throughout December. This week I will be taking all of the AAMC self assessments, then finals, then jump into FL. I'm also about halfway through EK 101 with about a 10 average on that.