The Official January 15, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hometownbrewin

B.S. in BSing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Roll call! Didn't see a thread for this date. I stayed up until 5 AM the morning signups opened to secure a spot for the 15th because it's the last afternoon administration of the old MCAT and I'm definitely not a morning person. The test is basically all or nothing for me, as I certainly want to avoid the new version, but I'm botching the opportunity (just finished undergrad and I'm currently taking off work and research). It has been a struggle so far in terms of keeping up with SN2ed's 4 month schedule and establishing good study habits and a routine that works for me, however things are slowly starting to pick up.

How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine for DO. It doesn't look good to have your score go down, but apply broadly and have a killer personal statement and I'm sure you'll be ok.

So I've been scared to look at my score until now but saw I got a 15. I don't understand how this is even possible...I was scoring 28s on the practice tests :\ I was very anxious and scared about it because I thought it would be my last chance to take and do well on it. I just didn't want to take the new one and signed up way before I was even ready to take it. Of course I plan to retake it, but is it even worth it? Will that 15 basically be a black mark forever? I plan to apply DO.

So I've been scared to look at my score until now but saw I got a 15. I don't understand how this is even possible...I was scoring 28s on the practice tests :\ I was very anxious and scared about it because I thought it would be my last chance to take and do well on it. I just didn't want to take the new one and signed up way before I was even ready to take it. Of course I plan to retake it, but is it even worth it? Will that 15 basically be a black mark forever? I plan to apply DO.

Of course retake it, kick its butt, and show med schools that the 15 was an anomaly. If you do well on your retake, it's likely that you'll be asked about your first score, but I'm pretty sure most schools view your most recent score as having the most weight, especially if you showed improvement.

If you want to be a doctor, don't let one number stop you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course retake it, kick its butt, and show med schools that the 15 was an anomaly. If you do well on your retake, it's likely that you'll be asked about your first score, but I'm pretty sure most schools view your most recent score as having the most weight, especially if you showed improvement.

If you want to be a doctor, don't let one number stop you.

Thank you :) I will definitely do better. It really was an anomaly and I should have voided it but I decided to take a chance.

Feel free to PM me regarding this. Glad to help a bro/sis out. :D
I was wondering too what your method of studying was for this time? I study every chance I get, every book, every note, every everything, going to retake MCAT probably this Fall. With my GPA I need to raise my MCAT score. Thanks for any help.

I was wondering too what your method of studying was for this time? I study every chance I get, every book, every note, every everything, going to retake MCAT probably this Fall. With my GPA I need to raise my MCAT score. Thanks for any help.
For sure. Just pmed you.

Test date: 1/15/2015
Time: 1 pm
AAMC average: 34.4
AAMC 10-11 average: 36
Post test expected score: 35
Actual score: 35 (12 PS/11 VR/12 BS)

Went up from a 24 last exam! So it is possible :DDD Keep your hopes up!
Great job. What's your method of study? I use everything but am always open for suggestions.

Does anyone know when the new Berkely review materials will be coming out?

I think their practice tests are out.

Also, I kind of briefly thought about this January 15th MCAT again last night. I voided it but I still remember how I felt for the most part, post-exam.

PS: I felt it was straightforward but I remember hitting a brick wall on a passage in the middle.
VR: All passages were boring and long. Had a lot of trouble focusing, computer screen froze a few times randomly. Time ran out and I still had a passage left. Felt horrible. My verbal was slipping weeks prior to this test.
BS: I felt so lost in at least 2-3 passages because I just couldn't recall some of the content. My averages were also dipping slightly at the end of prep. The test felt as bad as AAMC 11 BS which was my lowest BS section.

The new test is so much more intensive to study for. I maybe needed one more month of prep for the old MCAT but the new test was over at the end of January.