The Official July 2, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else taking it this July 2nd?!

Members don't see this ad.

Well 2015 MCAT is supposed to ignore many unnecessary topics of previous tests and emphasize new ones. So I was wondering, they probably are integrating that now.

Um. They didn't test any psychology/sociology/biochemistry. Well, biochemistry encompasses a lot of what's already tested I suppose. Do you mean passage style? The new MCAT is supposed to only have passages about living systems, and I didn't notice that either.

I think the 2015 MCAT is going to be completely different from the test I took.

Ye I really don't want to plan on reapplying so I'm going to make use of all the last opportunities I have on this version of the MCAT (there are only 2 more chances left this year anyway) because: 1) most med schools won't care anymore about these kinds of scores anyway and 2) Reapplying the year after will void these scores because many med schools (LSU in particular) require you to take the new MCAT.

Ever since July 2nd, I have been EXTREMELY lazy. I need to start doing some volunteering or something.

Maybe I'll give in and start watching GoT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Physics: Really glad I worked passages backwards because the 1st one was most challenging (I usually do freestanding q's first and then work backwards). I know I made a few careless mistakes (prob because of nerves... because they were in my strongest subjects) but there we deff a bunch of passages that seemed very straightforward to me. I like how there were many conceptual questions in the mid/later passages.

Verbal: I am optimistic-- not only because the passages were "friendly", but because I also think I was actively catching AAMC's tricks when going through the questions. Additionally, I had 3 minutes leftover to go over questions I was unsure about. However, I am now scared that I will be gravely disappointed come August 5.

Biology: Again, I am optimistic. Was really happy about two of the passages because they were somewhat related to research focus. Was scoring 12-13 on practice. After thinking hard about the test after, I know I got at least 3 wrong (hoping at least one of them is experimental hehe :happy:). I know I must have missed other questions too, but I felt overall very good about this section.

Overall, there is no way to really know and I feel like there is such a wide range in which my score can land.

It seems most people are able to go 2 weeks before starting to lose sanity.

It hasn't been a week. I'm going crazy.

Did I even fill in an answer for every question? I can't remember.

Help.

Me.....

*dies*

Reactions: 1 user
From the June 5th thread, they thought their PS was killer and were scared. Most of them got good scores, so we can be hopeful!

From the June 5th thread, they thought their PS was killer and were scared. Most of them got good scores, so we can be hopeful!
I saw that too. However, I am nervous because I had trouble on difficult first passage and I know I messed up few questions on a topic I am usually really good at. Hopefully the other passages went well enough to have a favorable result like the June 5 takers.

Okay, I'm starting to feel less confident about how I did , especially in PS lol

Okay, I'm starting to feel less confident about how I did , especially in PS lol

I don't always freak out about how I did on my MCAT, but when I do, I do it before most people start to. Stay worried, my friends.

Reactions: 1 users
Just remembered one of the gen chem discrete questions. I got it right! Hooooooope!
like, this is what I did right after the test, and all of the ones I remembered I sort of guessed on I got right, so I was feeling good. But now I'm starting to wonder about the ones that I don't remember about (most passage questions), and it starting to make me feel like my expected score in PS is like an 11.

Members don't see this ad :)
like, this is what I did right after the test, and all of the ones I remembered I sort of guessed on I got right, so I was feeling good. But now I'm starting to wonder about the ones that I don't remember about (most passage questions), and it starting to make me feel like my expected score in PS is like an 11.
I can remember Verbal and Bio much better than physics. Every once and a while I will see/do something that will trigger memory of another question lol

l will be so ecstatic if I get an 11 in PS lol

idk how you guys remember questions. I remember legit none. I wish I did so I could look them up. that day is all a blur to me now.

I walked out feeling decently confident, the problem with that is I did that after a practice test once and got my lowest score :(

Must stop psyching myself out. the wait has only just begun!!!

It's weird because I am use to seeing score right away after practice exam. There's not enough time for me to think about specific questions or try estimating my score. Now that there are 4 weeks to go, I have no point of comparison in terms of self assessment of my performance

I'm glad to have found this thread. I sat for July 2nd as well, and the wait for scores is tough. It's nice to know that I am not alone in this process.

After the exam I felt utterly defeated. I had prepped for about 1 month and taken 5 AAMC practice FL, but all of the VR sections. I took a Kaplan on demand course, but wasn't able to finish the physics and gen chem sections in time. I focused on taking practice exams in the final week and a half, and did one every other day. My average after taking 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8, was a 33.8. My lowest section was PS averaging about 9.

A week post exam though and I am not sure what to think. I am glad I did the discrete questions first, they seemed more straight forward. Then, because the passage was closer to the last discrete section, I did passage 7. I'm not sure what to expect, but my gut afterwards was to predict a 29. Now, I don't know. The +/- 2 points from average AAMC practice performance on the real deal would be great.

I'm glad to have found this thread. I sat for July 2nd as well, and the wait for scores is tough. It's nice to know that I am not alone in this process.

After the exam I felt utterly defeated. I had prepped for about 1 month and taken 5 AAMC practice FL, but all of the VR sections. I took a Kaplan on demand course, but wasn't able to finish the physics and gen chem sections in time. I focused on taking practice exams in the final week and a half, and did one every other day. My average after taking 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8, was a 33.8. My lowest section was PS averaging about 9.

A week post exam though and I am not sure what to think. I am glad I did the discrete questions first, they seemed more straight forward. Then, because the passage was closer to the last discrete section, I did passage 7. I'm not sure what to expect, but my gut afterwards was to predict a 29. Now, I don't know. The +/- 2 points from average AAMC practice performance on the real deal would be great.
Did you skip 9-11? Also why would you predict 29 when you were averaging 34. Do u think you did well on verbal?

Did you skip 9-11? Also why would you predict 29 when you were averaging 34. Do u think you did well on verbal?
My plan was to go through the exam sequentially in order to take the most recently released ones closer to my testing date. However, this summer has been a beast. So, I started my FL practice a week and a half out. I continued the order because I wanted to build confidence, and ended with AAMC 8 on the Sunday before we sat. I reviewed on Monday and promised a mentor that I would take Tuesday off.

My prediction was based off of two factors, how I felt about PS and running short on time for VR. I did all the VR sections of the AAMC practice tests, mostly because I felt that the only way to prepare for that section is to practice critical reading and get a feel for the question types. I never ran out of time in practice. If one passage took a bit longer, there was another one that I finished a bit quicker. I did not find this to be true on test day. I got hung up on passage one and took about 3 minutes longer than normal. I thought I could make up the time, but all the passages seemed a bit longer than the practice ones. I got to the last passage with 5 minutes left.

PS covered topics that I didn't review yet. I knew it would be hit or miss because of where I was in my content review. My average in this section on practices was a 9, but on AAMC 4 I got a 12, because I was comfortable with all the topics I saw. When I finished the section, I had a hard time envisioning a 7...

I hope my prediction is wrong, but because of the instant gratification of getting your score right away in the practice tests I am unsure if I felt as bad after those. BS seemed very straight forward, but it may have a rough curve because of that. But, most of the past dates have had people score at or near their average, so I am hopeful.

idk how you guys remember questions. I remember legit none. I wish I did so I could look them up. that day is all a blur to me now.

I walked out feeling decently confident, the problem with that is I did that after a practice test once and got my lowest score :(

Must stop psyching myself out. the wait has only just begun!!!
I mainly remember discrete or discrete like questions. but yeah everything else especially verbal is a blur.

It's weird because I am use to seeing score right away after practice exam. There's not enough time for me to think about specific questions or try estimating my score. Now that there are 4 weeks to go, I have no point of comparison in terms of self assessment of my performance
I'm exactly like this too! its going to be weird to legit just see a number, no review of questions or anything.

slightly unrelated note: am I the only one that wished they didn't buy all the practice tests? I'm really trying to get together money for secondaries and am just looking at all the expenses I spent on this test lol.

My plan was to go through the exam sequentially in order to take the most recently released ones closer to my testing date. However, this summer has been a beast. So, I started my FL practice a week and a half out. I continued the order because I wanted to build confidence, and ended with AAMC 8 on the Sunday before we sat. I reviewed on Monday and promised a mentor that I would take Tuesday off.

My prediction was based off of two factors, how I felt about PS and running short on time for VR. I did all the VR sections of the AAMC practice tests, mostly because I felt that the only way to prepare for that section is to practice critical reading and get a feel for the question types. I never ran out of time in practice. If one passage took a bit longer, there was another one that I finished a bit quicker. I did not find this to be true on test day. I got hung up on passage one and took about 3 minutes longer than normal. I thought I could make up the time, but all the passages seemed a bit longer than the practice ones. I got to the last passage with 5 minutes left.

PS covered topics that I didn't review yet. I knew it would be hit or miss because of where I was in my content review. My average in this section on practices was a 9, but on AAMC 4 I got a 12, because I was comfortable with all the topics I saw. When I finished the section, I had a hard time envisioning a 7...

I hope my prediction is wrong, but because of the instant gratification of getting your score right away in the practice tests I am unsure if I felt as bad after those. BS seemed very straight forward, but it may have a rough curve because of that. But, most of the past dates have had people score at or near their average, so I am hopeful.
Best of luck to you! We can only hope for the best! I am hoping 4-5 wrong(on bio) can still be 13 but we'll see.

Anyone else having the "score report" dreams? Mine started last night smh...

And I think someone asked earlier, but who all is applying this cycle? How far along are you guys?

I'm applying this cycle, though everyone keeps saying how our mcat was late so it's worrying me a bit. going to be submitting both my AMCAS and AACOMAS early next week. need a good score though

I am applying this cycle. I am a nontraditional, URM, Army vet, with 20 years on an ambulance, 14 as a fire fighter/paramedic lieutenant. I should have my app completed by the end of this month. Good luck to the rest applying this cycle.

Do you think that the number of applicants will be up this cycle, due to fears regarding the changing MCAT next year?

I am applying this cycle. I am a nontraditional, URM, Army vet, with 20 years on an ambulance, 14 as a fire fighter/paramedic lieutenant. I should have my app completed by the end of this month. Good luck to the rest applying this cycle.

Do you think that the number of applicants will be up this cycle, due to fears regarding the changing MCAT next year?

Most likely yes. xD

Yeah, probably. I'm also nontrad and one of the reasons I pushed hard to apply this year instead of next year or the year after was the new MCAT.

That said, I'm not sure the effect will be too dramatic.

It will be interesting next cycle when admissions are looking at applicants with different tests.
I wonder how many schools will require the new MCAT starting next year. I know that an MCAT score is usually good for 3 years, but I believe I read somewhere that some schools will require the new version next cycle...

I wonder how many schools will require the new MCAT starting next year. I know that an MCAT score is usually good for 3 years, but I believe I read somewhere that some schools will require the new version next cycle...
I guess I am not applying to those schools hehe

EDIT: the fact that there are a bunch of dates in fall/early winter means a lot of students may potentially have old MCAT for next cycle. Hopefully most schools will accept those scores.

IU was one of those schools. They changed their mind though and will be accepting the current MCAT for the current and next cycle only.

Like others who have posted before, I go through highs and lows depending on the day: thinking I scored anywhere from 28-38

Reactions: 3 users

Wow, that's amazing. Thank you for your service. I wish you the very best. You will certainly be an asset to the medical field. Have you chosen a specialty?

I am applying this cycle as well. I plan to submit AMCAS and AACOMAS applications by the end of this month too. I'm not sure that the changing MCAT will increase the number of applicants, but I do believe more applicants will be scrambling to take the MCAT this year. Especially if they feel the need to retake the MCAT to improve their chances of acceptance. With all that in mind, I'd like to think medical schools will be more lenient in how they handle MCAT scores and acceptances; but, I have no idea. Med schools may not feel the need to make any changes until next cycle after the MCAT officially changes.

I can't believe my post-test feeling was "it was not bad." I was like wow verbal seemed pretty good. Now, I'm like who am I kidding?! I suck at Verbal. Lol. Someone help me. :/

I can't believe my post-test feeling was "it was not bad." I was like wow verbal seemed pretty good. Now, I'm like who am I kidding?! I suck at Verbal. Lol. Someone help me. :/

join the club. I felt decent leaving and now I'm realizing there's just no way I did well when my AAMC practices weren't even all that stellar. paranoia is setting in.

join the club. I felt decent leaving and now I'm realizing there's just no way I did well when my AAMC practices weren't even all that stellar. paranoia is setting in.
I think it takes all kinds. I felt horrible immediately afterwards, but now feel hopeful that I can get close to my practice average. I hope we will all be fine and our worst fears proven wrong on August 5th.

AMCAS verified today, probably pre-writing a few secondaries soon, keeping myself on my toes no matter what I got. Damn MCAT score. :annoyed:

Hang in there guys, 3 weeks left!

I wonder if I am the only one that browses the threads of people who sat before us, and are getting their MCAT scores back. It's like a roller coaster ride, where I'm happy when I see that most get near their average, depressed when I find others who get scores much lower, and then ecstatic to see some that score above.

I would be beyond pleased to hit my average, and actually be okay with a score that is as much as -3 from there.

This wait is crazy...

Me too...

I felt like I could've gotten up to a 13 on verbal. Now I see a lot of people posting that they thought they smashed it and only got like a 7 or 8.

And I'm still scared about PS. And that non-existant BS curve? Don't even remind me!

...sigh.

Me too...

I felt like I could've gotten up to a 13 on verbal. Now I see a lot of people posting that they thought they smashed it and only got like a 7 or 8.

And I'm still scared about PS. And that non-existant BS curve? Don't even remind me!

...sigh.

this. completely this.

Me too...

...sigh.
... but the people who did "Smash" it (I saw some 12-13's), prob thought they did well too. So you can be one of those students too =]

In general, I think there is difference between reading the passage and feeling good about it (emotional feeling) versus having the same type of confidence one has with a science passage (really knowing why three of answers were wrong and one was correct in the questions).

The scale could also be pretty steep. On AAMC_1o, for instance, a 33/40 is a 10. This is ~1 question a passage. If one picked a wrong answer per passage without realizing it, he or she could have gone the entire month thinking a 13 was on its way before seeing that 9 or 10.

... but the people who did "Smash" it (I saw some 12-13's), prob thought they did well too. So you can be one of those students too =]

In general, I think there is difference between reading the passage and feeling good about it (emotional feeling) versus having the same type of confidence one has with a science passage (really knowing why three of answers were wrong and one was correct in the questions).

The scale could also be pretty steep. On AAMC_1o, for instance, a 33/40 is a 10. This is ~1 question a passage. If one picked a wrong answer per passage without realizing it, he or she could have gone the entire month thinking a 13 was on its way before seeing that 9 or 10.

lol that's scary to think about. I'm honestly just petrified for BS. it's consistently my worst section (god knows why) and hearing everyone say it was easy has me sh***ing bricks. this wait is cruel and unnecessary, seriously.

:diebanana::(This is my first time ever posting on SDN. I can no longer wait. I am having nightmares of my section scores! PS was the hardest section for me, I cannot remember anything on this section except for 2 questions that I think I got wrong anyways. I felt VR was OK relative to the AAMCs and though BS was easy-moderate which even scares me more b/c if I missed a few questions I am screwed . Why do we have to wait this long........................... :'( For the first few days after the test I was thinking I accidently voided and kept on thinking about it and trying to remember and search on SDN, thought of calling and asking (felt stupid), then I realized I was offered the trial which is only offered to those who choose to score...ahh, was a relief but will be ironic if I end up retaking and wish if I had acutally voided....smh

Last edited:
I thought bio was easy too (and so did many others) but I have a difficult time believing the scale will be drastically different than any of AAMC's. The only real difference is that some Q's of the real test were experimental so less questions count. If I had to guess. 3-5 wrong would be 13. 6-7 wrong would be 12.
:diebanana::(This is my first time ever posting on SDN. I can no longer wait. I am having nightmares of my section scores! PS was the hardest section for me, I cannot remember anything on this section except for 2 questions that I think I got wrong anyways. I felt VR was OK relative to the AAMCs and though BS was easy-moderate which even scares me more b/c if I missed a few questions I am screwed . Why do we have to wait this long........................... :'( For the first few days after the test I was thinking I accidently voided and kept on thinking about it and trying to remember and search on SDN, thought of calling and asking (felt stupid), then I realized I was offered the trial which is only offered to those who choose to score...ahh, was a relief but will be ironic if I end up retaking and wish if I had acutally voided....smh

I kept thinking I might've voided at first as well, lmao. I hope PS has a generous curve, and BS might not be that bad!

Reactions: 1 users