**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a lot of people say they are redoing QPacks and SB; how productive is this actually? I started going over the bio pack that I took over a month ago, and have found that I remember almost all of the answers immediately. It seems kind of like a waste of time. With only a few days left, I don't know if I should spend my time redoing these or doing something else that will be more worthwhile. Any advice?

If you remember the answers to easily I would recommend doing some other material. For example, Khan academy has many free passages which are fairly good. Also, try the free practice exams of prep-companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a lot of people say they are redoing QPacks and SB; how productive is this actually? I started going over the bio pack that I took over a month ago, and have found that I remember almost all of the answers immediately. It seems kind of like a waste of time. With only a few days left, I don't know if I should spend my time redoing these or doing something else that will be more worthwhile. Any advice?

For me, my memory would make this a futile task. It would take 6 months for me not to remember, and even if you "think" you don't remember, you have already been primed from doing it that you will mentally highlight things in the passage that helps with the answer that you may have missed if you hadn't.

If I were you I would find more passages or free tests to do and review notes for things you were getting wrong before.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Also taking it this Friday! Can't wait to be done with this thing! Is anyone else thinking about taking it relatively easy 2-3 days before the exam? I think I'll do some light review but it always takes me some time to recharge from my last practice exam. I want to be as fresh as possible for the real thing.

So it's actually C/P 81% CARS 89% B/B 82% and P/S 95%

Hope it helps with estimates

I'd guesstimate that at a 128/129/128/131 so a 516, nice job looks like you will do really well on the actual test.

EDIT: Lol I thought that was your sample test breakdown haha....

Hey everyone,

I took the test June 2 and did pretty well so I made a spreadsheet comparing all of my practice tests scores and final test score. . You can find the spreadsheet here.

Hope it helps!

Thank you so much for this!! I'm taking it August 4th and I have been feeling really bad about my chances of doing well. We have very similar scores so that makes me feel much better about getting at least a 506 for real. Congrats on the great score!

I'd guesstimate that at a 128/129/128/131 so a 516, nice job looks like you will do really well on the actual test.

EDIT: Lol I thought that was your sample test breakdown haha....

Lol well the sample was pretty close, CARS percent correct was higher. Which I guess makes sense because everyone said the scored CARS was harder.

I used the Reddit conversions for my sample test, I think they are really accurate!

Last edited:
Do you know where I can find it? I had stumbled across it when I was doing practice tests but didn't save the link.

I search it and then save an updated copy to my Drive. I don't have a direct link

@neurodjent

Well I figured they were still working on it because I've seen all the practice tests added for those that took the June 18th test. I'm guessing they will all update once their scores are in.

So I went to the doctor today to check up on some pain I've been having all summer but ignoring, faithfully. I've been having dreams that the pain becomes unbearable during my test so I wanted to get some peace of mind today from the visit. In all my thoughts and intentions it was going to be routine.

Well. After blood work, urinalysis and some imaging. My doctor is very worried about cancer risks. Now mind you, this was my first visit with this doctor, as I recently relocated, and I haven't had a full scope exam since last summer.

She didn't have any of my family history or records as I made this appointment last minute. Turns out though, the specific cancer she is worried about, my grandmother died of before she hit 35, when my mom was 12, and my mom had a few episodes of growth that she had a series of radiation treatments for, and since then has been okay. Both were exactly my age now when the issues were discovered.

Just the bestest news I could ever get the week of my MCAT! I just took off work for the week, was going to take off Thursday for the exam. Now I'm heading back home to see another doctor by tmw morning for a second opinion.

I don't want to cancel my test, because I feel so prepared right now. I'm so numb. And frankly in complete denial that anything is wrong and that I will be totally fine for this test. Here's hoping for good news tmw.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I went to the doctor today to check up on some pain I've been having all summer but ignoring, faithfully. I've been having dreams that the pain becomes unbearable during my test so I wanted to get some peace of mind today from the visit. In all my thoughts and intentions it was going to be routine.

Well. After blood work, urinalysis and some imaging. My doctor is very worried about cancer risks. Now mind you, this was my first visit with this doctor, as I recently relocated, and I haven't had a full scope exam since last summer.

She didn't have any of my family history or records as I made this appointment last minute. Turns out though, the specific cancer she is worried about, my grandmother died of before she hit 35, when my mom was 12, and my mom had a few episodes of growth that she had a series of radiation treatments for, and since then has been okay. Both were exactly my age now when the issues were discovered.

Just the bestest news I could ever get the week of my MCAT! I just took off work for the week, was going to take off Thursday for the exam. Now I'm heading back home to see another doctor by tmw morning for a second opinion.

I don't want to cancel my test, because I feel so prepared right now. I'm so numb. And frankly in complete denial that anything is wrong and that I will be totally fine for this test. Here's hoping for good news tmw.

Dude I am so sorry you have to deal with that. I would stick with your test day, you don't want to have to deal with taking the MCAT and Cancer. I seriously wish you the best and hope they are wrong and if you are still taking the MCAT in a few days just try to put that thought to the back of your head (I'm sure its crazy difficult) and crush the MCAT.

Dude I am so sorry you have to deal with that. I would stick with your test day, you don't want to have to deal with taking the MCAT and Cancer. I seriously wish you the best and hope they are wrong and if you are still taking the MCAT in a few days just try to put that thought to the back of your head (I'm sure its crazy difficult) and crush the MCAT.

I'm a woman. But yes that's currently my strategy. Forget today happened. Hope I get different news tmw and just keep going. Idc if it's not healthy, in so ready for the test now that I feel like it's not worth moving it. Thank you.

I'm a woman. But yes that's currently my strategy. Forget today happened. Hope I get different news tmw and just keep going. Idc if it's not healthy, in so ready for the test now that I feel like it's not worth moving it. Thank you.

Sorry =/, and yeah I think you are doing the right decision. Oh and I like your avatar, I binge watched all of archer the week before the MCAT as my relaxation at night =D.

Really wish the best for its unfortunate such news can come at such the wrong time.. But from seeing you on here nothing can stop you from acing that test best wishes

Just for surure

praying for your health and for you to crush the test!!

So so sorry to hear this. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. From what I've seen, you are 100% prepared for this exam and I can guarantee that when you're taking the test, this will be the furthest thing from your mind. Hoping for the best with whatever news you hear tomorrow, but don't let this stand in your way. You can kick this test and whatever is causing the pain (hopefully nothing) in the ass

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. From your posts, it's apparent you are a strong woman. You'll get through whatever is thrown at you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Lunch break while taking the aamc scored. Man, I had to rush through last 2 passages on C/P and CARS :( Well, I pretty much guessed on last passage of CARS. There were a lot of questions where I was stuck on between 2 answers. If the real thing is much harder than this one I don't know how I'm going to manage my timing. Ugh.

Just took the scored exam today as well. Although I'm happy with my overall score, my breakdown is pretty worrying
512 (127/131/125/129)
Bio is my weakness even though I've spent the most time studying for it by far. Don't know what I can do to better prepare in the last few days that I have left.
Funny thing is, the entire time during the exam I kept thinking how hard it was and even thought to myself at one point that I wouldn't break a 503. Who knows what's gonna happen on test day. I thought the scored would relieve some anxiety but my bio score has just worried me even more.
Edit: Typos

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Girl send you all my good vibes and prayers that everything will be just fine, and that no sign of Cancer ever comes your way. Regardless, keep the date, you are ready to take it this week, and then life goes on. Forget it for now and smile, this will be over and better soon!

Lunch break while taking the aamc scored. Man, I had to rush through last 2 passages on C/P and CARS :( Well, I pretty much guessed on last passage of CARS. There were a lot of questions where I was stuck on between 2 answers. If the real thing is much harder than this one I don't know how I'm going to manage my timing. Ugh.
How did you do @Dolly96 ?

Thank you everyone. You have really backed up my confidence! Staying focused on the goal.

How is everyone spending the next few days. I'll be done with rereading notes and errors/solutions. Now that I don't have to work this week def more time to review. Think I'll take TPR3 tmw, irk if to do it timed or not, do Khan's passages on Wednesday, and keep going through anki.

Thank you everyone. You have really backed up my confidence! Staying focused on the goal.

How is everyone spending the next few days. I'll be done with rereading notes and errors/solutions. Now that I don't have to work this week def more time to review. Think I'll take TPR3 tmw, irk if to do it timed or not, do Khan's passages on Wednesday, and keep going through anki.

We have faith in you!:biglove: If it was anyone else I might have questioned their ability to do well, but based on your previous scores it seems that you are pretty well-prepared to tackle this beast.
I'm going to finish going over the scored tomorrow, focusing on BB and C/P. Probably rewatch some khan videos on topics that I'm shaky on and hope something sticks :scared: Also gonna continue going over notes on things I previously got wrong. Can only hope for the best at this point.

Last edited:
You guys I did so bad on this aamc scored: 126-122-126-125 (499) I seriously feel like I'm going to pass out. I don't know what to do at this point with test day 3 days away.

Have you been able to highlight something that went wrong, was atypical, focus/attention, anxiety? How did it feel when you were doing it?

Have you been able to highlight something that went wrong, was atypical, focus/attention, anxiety? How did it feel when you were doing it?

I started getting 127's in the sciences with NS, I usually get around 125-126 on CARS with NS and Kaplan, and I haven't gotten below a 128 in Psych section with the past few tests. CARS and Psych :'(

I started getting 127's in the sciences with NS, I usually get around 125-126 on CARS with NS and Kaplan, and I haven't gotten below a 128 in Psych section with the past few tests. CARS and Psych :'(

That's really weird! I only did NS1 but I thought it was pretty difficult. We're the question topics in areas that are normally your strengths?

I think you need to figure out if this is due to content, not adapting to the question styles (very different than NS, IMO), etc.

At this point I'm not sure if I should take this exam on this week. What sucks is I've used up registrations by not canceling by the designated dates so I'm not sure if I can register again if I don't show up to this one. This is such a nightmare. I honestly didn't think I would have to worry about scoring worse than the 498 I got the first time I took the MCAT back in September. I don't remember the last time when I scored below a 500. NS 1-3 were taken from end of may to june with 502, 500, 503, 508. Kaplan 500 and 504. With the NS 508 and Kaplan 504 being the most recent practice tests.

Lurker here, stepping out from the shadows.

I tested on July 9th and felt compelled to remind you all of something VERY IMPORTANT: keep those chins up and your confidence high! Especially now, with 3 days left, anxiety and worry will only cloud your judgement on test day. Believe in all the work you've put in and know that it's going to pay off! You guys gotta walk in there like you're freaking Kanye West at the 2009 MTV VMAs while the MCAT is Taylor Swift
"YO MCAT, imma let you finish, but IMMA have the best score of ALL TIME!!"

@WhittyPsyche - Sending many vibes of good health, hugs and prayers your way. Stay positive my friend <3

@Dolly96 - I know it's hard but you can't let that low score get to you. Try to shake it off and move forward; you got this!!

Reactions: 2 users
At this point I'm not sure if I should take this exam on this week. What sucks is I've used up registrations by not canceling by the designated dates so I'm not sure if I can register again if I don't show up to this one. This is such a nightmare. I honestly didn't think I would have to worry about scoring worse than the 498 I got the first time I took the MCAT back in September. I don't remember the last time when I scored below a 500. NS 1-3 were taken from end of may to june with 502, 500, 503, 508. Kaplan 500 and 504. With the NS 508 and Kaplan 504 being the most recent practice tests.
Your scores show a lack of consistency, which makes me wonder if your 508 was a fluke (maybe it tested your strengths). Please don't take this the wrong way. Ideally you want to have a consistent upward trend but your scores indicate that is not the case. How did you do on the unscored? Other AAMC materials? Section banks performance? If you did well on those then your scored performance may be due to some other factors (like nerves? bad day? Lack of focus? I don't know). When is your test? I suggest you take this time and analyze the scored exam as thorough as possible to identify why you did poorly. Was it the content? Timing? The types of questions you got wrong and why? That will pinpoint what you need to work on. If it's content, then brush up on those. If it's timing, then you need to practice getting the timing right. Because you got a 498 on your first MCAT, I am more leaning towards recommending you that you void this test because your practice performance tells me you still need more practice (BUT it is important to practice right).

Reactions: 1 users
Your scores show a lack of consistency, which makes me wonder if your 508 was a fluke (maybe it tested your strengths). Please don't take this the wrong way. Ideally you want to have a consistent upward trend but your scores indicate that is not the case. How did you do on the unscored? Other AAMC materials? Section banks performance? If you did well on those then your scored performance may be due to some other factors (like nerves? bad day? Lack of focus? I don't know). When is your test? I suggest you take this time and analyze the scored exam as thorough as possible to identify why you did poorly. Was it the content? Timing? The types of questions you got wrong and why? That will pinpoint what you need to work on. If it's content, then brush up on those. If it's timing, then you need to practice getting the timing right. Because you got a 498 on your first MCAT, I am more leaning towards recommending you that you void this test because your practice performance tells me you still need more practice (BUT it is important to practice right).
I appreciate your input. I took the CP and BB SBs over a month ago during the first week of june and ended up with 54% and 59&. Since then I've reviewed topics much more thoroughly. Cars q packs were 70 and 73%. Bio q packs were 77 and 81%. I took the unscored over a month ago and ended up around a 74.5%. I was afraid my NS-4 was a fluke :( but I took it after reviewing everything very very thoroughly for 1.5 weeks. I just got a false hope with psych since I don't remember last time scoring anything lower than 126.

One major problem right now is the limit of attempts. I took it last september and I remember doing a no show last summer too. With july 9th being a no show, I'm afraid this would be my 4th and final attempt they allow in 2 consecutive years. I wonder if I can call aamc to ask about this. I feel so lost. I was feeling confident until today. Maybe I started slacking too much since postponing the july 9th exam. It just appears cars and psych are the inconsistent section... well for the aamc scored.

I appreciate your input. I took the CP and BB SBs over a month ago during the first week of june and ended up with 54% and 59&. Since then I've reviewed topics much more thoroughly. Cars q packs were 70 and 73%. Bio q packs were 77 and 81%. I took the unscored over a month ago and ended up around a 74.5%. I was afraid my NS-4 was a fluke :( but I took it after reviewing everything very very thoroughly for 1.5 weeks. I just got a false hope with psych since I don't remember last time scoring anything lower than 126.

One major problem right now is the limit of attempts. I took it last september and I remember doing a no show last summer too. With july 9th being a no show, I'm afraid this would be my 4th and final attempt they allow in 2 consecutive years. I wonder if I can call aamc to ask about this. I feel so lost. I was feeling confident until today. Maybe I started slacking too much since postponing the july 9th exam. It just appears cars and psych are the inconsistent section... well for the aamc scored.

You are not going to get out of the attempts most likely. Rather than waste the time, figure out what happened and what went wrong. I find it hard to believe you could score that well on Kaplan and do worse on AAMC I personally think that it was a fluke and you need to get your confidence back. Your unscored percentage indicates around a 505 so I'm sure you are capable of scoring a 508. You need to figure out a way to get your confidence back and go full speed ahead and not second guess yourself. I thought about my scored exam score a lot before my actual test since it was below my goal for my first MCAT and nerves got the better of me. Don't let self-doubt ruin it for you. Go in confidence and never have to take this test again.

how are the 7/8 and 7/9 test takers holding up? somedays I think I got a 500 and other days I think I got a 510 :/
i know this month of waiting should be relaxing but for some reason its been making me so nervous trying to predict my scores
i've submitted my primary app last week but dont really know if i should spend a lot of time on secondaries since i dont know my score

Your average score is about 502. Given that you were taking Kaplan and NS which seem to be very deflating, I wouldn't think that average was bad. However, I would have expected that your AAMC practice questions would then jump. I got all 506's and one 504 in NS and TPR, but then much higher in the OG, SB, and practice tests. Which made sense because I think the companies tests were much harder. The only thing I can think of is your weak areas haven't been highlighted enough in NS and it just happened that those were the main focus in the AAMC questions.

I really don't think you should score the test because it seems too high a risk to score 495-502 range and being your second time, that won't help. You should still take it, and void it.

You guys I did so bad on this aamc scored: 126-122-126-125 (499) I seriously feel like I'm going to pass out. I don't know what to do at this point with test day 3 days away.
What do you think have caused this score (not enough time, didn't know the concepts etc)? I'm sure you would have felt something. Definitely call aamc to ask about the attempt limits. Depending on what you believe caused the score, it *may* be a fluke and you may have time to do one more aamc practice (the unscored?) to see what happens.

I also scored around 498, but I took it as my 3 practice exam, if you review this next few days why you got the answers and figured it out if it's either lack of content, timing (which was my case), or experimental analysis, you might be able to improve significantly. Never give up, rooting for you!

Also, because you can't cancel this coming exam you might as well sit and take as another practice test, and if you feel like is not going well (running out of time is 2 more sections, guessing too much) you might as well void and retake later in August.

Just visited my test center. The guy was friendly enough but didn't let me see the actual testing room which is understandable I guess. It was a little warmer in there than I expected. I'm glad I went though, it did calm some nerves. Anyone who is close enough to their testing center should definitely try to stop by :)

Just visited my test center. The guy was friendly enough but didn't let me see the actual testing room which is understandable I guess. It was a little warmer in there than I expected. I'm glad I went though, it did calm some nerves. Anyone who is close enough to their testing center should definitely try to stop by :)

Great!

I'm going tmw. I really want to see the break room and if there is a clock like a PP mentioned. Hopefully they let me walk in.

Great!

I'm going tmw. I really want to see the break room and if there is a clock like a PP mentioned. Hopefully they let me walk in.

Mine did have a clock, however I asked him if I was allowed to bring a watch and he said yes as long as it's not digital...is that allowed under the aamc rules?

Mine did have a clock, however I asked him if I was allowed to bring a watch and he said yes as long as it's not digital...is that allowed under the aamc rules?

I'm not sure... I don't own one. I'm reading over all the test day policies now to make sure I understand all the protocols.

You aren't allowed to have a watch....I don't know why he would say that.

You aren't allowed to have a watch....I don't know why he would say that.
That's what I thought too...to be honest the place seemed a little unprofessional and feel like they might not even care if someone did wear a watch.
Anyways, does anyone know if the next section of the mcat begins immediately after the break is up? For example, if I leave to the bathroom for the break and by the time I sign back in its been 12 minutes, will the next section already be on my screen and 2 minutes of the time wasted?

That's what I thought too...to be honest the place seemed a little unprofessional and feel like they might not even care if someone did wear a watch.
Anyways, does anyone know if the next section of the mcat begins immediately after the break is up? For example, if I leave to the bathroom for the break and by the time I sign back in its been 12 minutes, will the next section already be on my screen and 2 minutes of the time wasted?
No it won't, I was late for lunch and it hadn't started yet, I wouldn't chance it though but I distinctly remember this happening.

No it won't, I was late for lunch and it hadn't started yet, I wouldn't chance it though but I distinctly remember this happening.
Oh good..I'm just worried signing back in will be a long process and will take up a lot more time than anticipated. So is there a screen that waits for you to click "next" before moving on, like on the aamc practice FLs?