**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

I felt so confident going in there today with a 516 estimated official practice and 520 scored practice test, but I'd honestly be happy to be above a 505 right now. First thoughts:

C/P: I thought the whole effing point of the test change was to make things relate to the human body and not give us stupid and abstract physics concepts with passages about machines! In 8 practice tests, that was the hardest C/P section and I think I marked at least 15.

CARS: Only section I felt good about. (which is usually the opposite of how I feel). It helped for me that the first passage on my test was written by one of my all time favorite philosopher/authors.

B/BC: Marked a lot, but not the most horrible. Messed up one whole passage due to a conceptual error I realized immediately after. More than anything, I was just really shocked in the lack of material in what I thought would be the highest yield topic.

P/S: Quick and straightforward as always, but I thought that there were a ton of really random terms that I was unfamiliar with (and this is usually my highest section). A lot of the passages just seemed weird.

Overall just didn't feel like AAMC grade material. Oh well. Time to nap, watch a tv episode, and then eat ice cream and imbibe the EtOhs. So glad my next two weeks are super busy and then I'll be moving to a house without internet... May the AAMC curve deities bless us all.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought CARS and B/BC weren't bad. C/P -> about what i expected. P/S was brutal....should have studied more on experiments and terms

Members don't see this ad :)
I basically could have studied with my notes infront of me and it wouldnt help. Bio and Cars were okay but P/S was like WTF??? And C/P was f*cking brutal .... I could have studied 70% less and do experimental passages to prepare.

Reactions: 1 users
heard someone mention Kashen and I was like, um, who? googling him now - not in Kaplan books ... :( which seems to be correlating to what everyone is saying about P/S... still a crap shoot

Reactions: 1 user
How did you prep for the psych section?

As I mentioned, I was a psych major. To prepare I read the chapters of TPR, did the little quizzes on Khan Academy (the ones before/after each section) and then practice tests. Any terms I didn't know in practice tests and wrote them down after, googled, memorized. The majority I already knew so I'm not much help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

wtf was P/S? it was ALL gen chem and physics that didn't even appear on any of the aamc materials. I'm registering for the mcat on Aug 20th. I think someone slowly broke my bones today, it was painful. P/S killed me. The CARS was super long and I did run out of time and had to rush thru the last 10 questions. Psych was really easy for me and I finished about 30 mins early, I guessed maybe 3-4 questions there otherwise it was the best. that p/s tho? I think i guessed about 30 questions.

wtf was P/S? it was ALL gen chem and physics that didn't even appear on any of the aamc materials. I'm registering for the mcat on Aug 20th. I think someone slowly broke my bones today, it was painful. P/S killed me. The CARS was super long and I did run out of time and had to rush thru the last 10 questions. Psych was really easy for me and I finished about 30 mins early, I guessed maybe 3-4 questions there otherwise it was the best. that p/s tho? I think i guessed about 30 questions.

I'm guessing you mean C/P for Chem phys, P/S is psych/sociology.

At least register for a date that is after you get your score like september 10th so you can cancel if you need to.

I got slaughtered in CP and PSYCH!!! That psych was from a different planet

Just finished my test and I regret voiding it on July the 8th. P/C and psych were on heavy steroids, terms I never heard of, and obscure experiments. Let's hope AAMC has mercy on us.!:confused:

Im badly panicking right now, I dk if to cry or laugh or what? Feeling very confused about that pysch section. Well we will see in a month, hoping for a hige curve

I felt so confident going in there today with a 516 estimated official practice and 520 scored practice test, but I'd honestly be happy to be above a 505 right now. First thoughts:

C/P: I thought the whole effing point of the test change was to make things relate to the human body and not give us stupid and abstract physics concepts with passages about machines! In 8 practice tests, that was the hardest C/P section and I think I marked at least 15.

CARS: Only section I felt good about. (which is usually the opposite of how I feel). It helped for me that the first passage on my test was written by one of my all time favorite philosopher/authors.

B/BC: Marked a lot, but not the most horrible. Messed up one whole passage due to a conceptual error I realized immediately after. More than anything, I was just really shocked in the lack of material in what I thought would be the highest yield topic.

P/S: Quick and straightforward as always, but I thought that there were a ton of really random terms that I was unfamiliar with (and this is usually my highest section). A lot of the passages just seemed weird.

Overall just didn't feel like AAMC grade material. Oh well. Time to nap, watch a tv episode, and then eat ice cream and imbibe the EtOhs. So glad my next two weeks are super busy and then I'll be moving to a house without internet... May the AAMC curve deities bless us all.

heard someone mention Kashen and I was like, um, who? googling him now - not in Kaplan books ... :( which seems to be correlating to what everyone is saying about P/S... still a crap shoot

Thanks for the post-exam opinions guys and gals! I'm taking the MCAT really soon and had a few questions. Without breaking the terms of service for the AAMC and SDN, what do you mean the Phys/Chem and Psy/Soc were hard? Would you say they were like the section bank for those particular units? Or were they just verbose? Testing random physics/chem formulas and random terminology on psy/soc? Was it similar to the unscored AAMC exam (sample test) or was it like the scored? What was so weird about it??

Also, I wanted to congratulate each and every single one of you! You sat through roughly 8 hours of hell and were critically thinking, writing formulas, drawing organic mechanisms, and all that jazz to ace this exam. Fear not, the AAMC has been a bit generous with curves this year...hope it all works out and you guys post about all your 512+ scores in a month on score release day :)!

At least register for a date that is after you get your score like september 10th so you can cancel if you need to.
I doubt I'll pass this exam. so might as well retake it earlier. I want to get it out of the way, but I want to feel confident when I'm done like the person above who said he/she had time left over and stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel paranoid that I accidentally chose to void my exam. The first option is to have the MCAT scored, right? :confused:

C/P :rolleyes: (internal :arghh: @ all the physics)
CARS :p
B/B o_O umm... okay... that sounds fake... but okay
P/S :shy: you were a little weird today but I forgive you.

My Prediction: 125/128/125/127 - 505
AAMC Practice Exam (Scored): 126/129/127/128 - 510

@Dr. Bad Guy - I did not take the test; that name came up in conversation as someone they'd never heard of and apparently it appeared in some test (not sure when, or if ever, tbh). It was an example of how Kaplan, TPR and AAMC have names listed and as testers we know them but then some random guy like that shows up.

I sit Aug 5. I probably s^it Aug 5 as well :D

Alright welllll....
C/P: felt this wasn't too horrible, except for the fact that I somewhat ran out of time, which has NEVER happened on any of my practice exams. Didn't have a chance to go over my marked at all. I guess that just shows that I tried reading more carefully on test day, which backfired a little. Besides that, I thought it was very chem-based with very little physics.

Cars: never really had much trouble with this, but man were these passages LONG and BORING. Sometimes I actually enjoy the cars section but this was not one of those times. It wasn't just one long boring passage, I had zero interest reading every single one. I don't get why the passages were so damn long?? Besides length, the questions weren't too horrible. I marked a few that I was stuck between 2 answers. It went downhill from here.

B/B: terrible, horrible, awful. Granted this is always my worst section but I encountered 2 or 3 passages that I couldn't quite understand and had a bunch of confusing pathways.

P/S: *tears* I couldn't prepare for this better even if I tried. Wtf even were these terms...

Edit: I'm kinda worried to even post my reaction to this because even though I thought C/P wasn't too bad, watch me get a 123 in that section. Also mentally preparing myself for a retake because while I was initially aiming for 510-512, I highly highly doubt I broke 503

Last edited:
First of all, I took the test even though I knew I would void because I wanted to gain exposure to real MCAT questions and passages.

Came back about 2 hours ago and now am putting together my thoughts after recuperating. I was really tired, to say the least.

C/P: So here it goes. Honestly, this section was by far the easiest and less brain-killesque than I was expecting. Yes, there were passages from every topic in org, physics, chemistry, biochem. Yes, a couple passages were convuluted talking about things you've never read about but the questions and answers were really straightforward for the most part. The key is, you had to read the passage, go to the questions, refer back to passage for answers and move on. Not hard stuff. However, that did not mean you could come in not knowing your formula or basic math. It cannot be said enough that you will need to know your basic formula including the units and how to do unit conversion. Seriously. It is not hard. Just know it. Their not asking you to memorize alot. Understand the formula, practice, apply. I encountered questions that were asking for something from the passage that required you to use a specific formula. First I was like, "what is this question asking?" and when I glanced at the answer choices, it was pretty straightforward. Sometimes you have to breakdown the question to get at its core to see what it's really asking. Dimensional analysis. Even if you didn't know where to start when asked a question to solve for such and such, if you knew your units and knew that so and so has this units so this answer choice gives me so and so squared - no, that's not the right answer, you were good. Another thing - process of elimination. Again, if there is 1 thing you have to learn about test taking is that sometimes you have to know which answers are not correct as opposed to finding the correct one first. Sometimes if an question seems easy, most likely it is. Don't overthink it. Answer and move on. Overall, easy.

CARS: Again, not my best section. Going through the passages I encountered hard passages, medium ones and a couple of easy ones. One thing I learned about CARS, now, is that I need to figure out what the author is trying to tell me. Sure, it takes time, skill and effort but don't complicate things. Look for the main idea, it will be reiterated over and over again. Even if it's not clear, and you feel you need to read that paragraph over again, don't. Chances are the author will repeat himself/herself. Sometimes the passages were not hard, it was the questions. I'm talking the LEAST likely to do so and so, the MOST WEAKEN the author's blah and blah, the NOT supported by the passage questions. I hate Roman Numerals as well. Overall, this was nothing too extreme. Seemed a mix of the hard, easy and medium.

B/B: Oh dear. This section got to me. Remember when I mentioned how the C/P was on the easier side of things? Well, here's to me thinking that everything was great. Graphs, tables, figures, schematas, diagrams, mechanisms, you name it. Nothing new here but you can't walk in to take the B/B and think you weren't going to be asked questions on interpreting data. Let's be real here. Also, know your amino acids. No this is not giving details. It is on the AAMC outline. Know your amino acids and everything pertaining to them. You can't blame AAMC for doing you wrong because they explicitly state what they might test. The Section Bank will help. I didn't do it because I was not prepared so didn't want to ruin it by doing the SB or other official AAMC if I didn't feel prepared. One passage, did not require me to go back to the passage or look at the graphs. When I went in reading that passage, it all seemed gibberish to me, though I could understand what they were experimenting. But here came the questions - easy, short and sweet. The MCAT is like that. There were some passages that just went over my head. So many acronyms and things going on. Questions were hard too. Overall, hard.

P/S: Um. Not too bad. Seemed pretty easy if you really knew your psych/soc. A lot of applying definitions to real world scenarios and asking if you knew what the term was. Graphs and interpretation were okay. Nothing too bad. A few words, I'd say maybe 6 or 7, that I had never seen and a couple questions had answer choices that were very similar. If you knew your terms, you can pick out the 'best' answer choice amongst them.

Last edited:
@Dr. Bad Guy - I did not take the test; that name came up in conversation as someone they'd never heard of and apparently it appeared in some test (not sure when, or if ever, tbh). It was an example of how Kaplan, TPR and AAMC have names listed and as testers we know them but then some random guy like that shows up.

I sit Aug 5. I probably s^it Aug 5 as well :D
My mistake! AHH I'm so embarrassed rn lol, I must have accidentally hit the quote button on your post :O!

First of all, I took the test even though I knew I would void because I wanted to gain exposure to real MCAT questions and passages.

Came back about 2 hours ago and now am putting together my thoughts after recuperating. I was really tired, to say the least.

C/P: So here it goes. Honestly, this section was by far the easiest and less brain-killesque than I was expecting. Yes, there were passages from every topic in org, physics, chemistry, biochem. Yes, a couple passages were convuluted talking about things you've never read about but the questions and answers were really straightforward for the most part. The key is, you had to read the passage, go to the questions, refer back to passage for answers and move on. Not hard stuff. However, that did not mean you could come in not knowing your formula or basic math. It cannot be said enough that you will need to know your basic formula including the units and how to do unit conversion. Seriously. It is not hard. Just know it. Their not asking you to memorize alot. Understand the formula, practice, apply. I encountered questions that were asking for something from the passage that required you to use a specific formula. First I was like, "what is this question asking?" and when I glanced at the answer choices, it was pretty straightforward. Sometimes you have to breakdown the question to get at its core to see what it's really asking. Dimensional analysis. Even if you didn't know where to start when asked a question to solve for such and such, if you knew your units and knew that so and so has this units so this answer choice gives me so and so squared - no, that's not the right answer, you were good. Another thing - process of elimination. Again, if there is 1 thing you have to learn about test taking is that sometimes you have to know which answers are not correct as opposed to finding the correct one first. Sometimes if an question seems easy, most likely it is. Don't overthink it. Answer and move on. Overall, easy.

CARS: Again, not my best section. Going through the passages I encountered hard passages, medium ones and a couple of easy ones. One thing I learned about CARS, now, is that I need to figure out what the author is trying to tell me. Sure, it takes time, skill and effort but don't complicate things. Look for the main idea, it will be reiterated over and over again. Even if it's not clear, and you feel you need to read that paragraph over again, don't. Chances are the author will repeat himself/herself. Sometimes the passages were not hard, it was the questions. I'm talking the LEAST likely to do so and so, the MOST WEAKEN the author's blah and blah, the NOT supported by the passage questions. I hate Roman Numerals as well. Overall, this was nothing too extreme. Seemed a mix of the hard, easy and medium.

B/B: Oh dear. This section got to me. Remember when I mentioned how the C/P was on the easier side of things? Well, here's to me thinking that everything was great. Graphs, tables, figures, schematas, diagrams, mechanisms, you name it. Nothing new here but you can't walk in to take the B/B and think you weren't going to asked how to interpret graphs. Let's be real. Also, know your amino acids. No this is not giving details. It is on the AAMC outline. Know your amino acids and everything pertaining to them. You can't blame AAMC for doing you wrong because they explicitly state what they might test. The Section Bank will help. I didn't it because I was not prepared so didn't want to ruin it by doing the SB or other official AAMC if I didn't feel prepared. One passage, did not require me to go back to the passage or look at the graphs. When I went in reading that passage, it all seemed gibberish to me, though I could understand what they were experimenting. But here came the questions - easy and short and sweet. The MCAT is like that. There were some passages that just went over my head. So many acronyms and things going on. Questions were hard too. Overall, hard.

P/S: Um. Not to bad. Seemed pretty easy if you really knew your psych/soc. A lot of applying definitions to real world scenarios and asking if you knew what the term was. Graphs and interpretation were okay. Nothing too bad. A few words, I'd say maybe 6 or 7, that I had never seen and a couple questions had answer choices that were very similar. If you knew your terms, you can pick out the 'best' answer choice amongst them.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and analysis, would you say the 4 sections of the exam were like the Sample Test, Scored Test, or Section Bank? :)

Not to go into detail....Did you have the exam with the shakespear passage?

B/B: Oh dear. This section got to me. Remember when I mentioned how the C/P was on the easier side of things? Well, here's to me thinking that everything was great. Graphs, tables, figures, schematas, diagrams, mechanisms, you name it. Nothing new here but you can't walk in to take the B/B and think you weren't going to asked how to interpret graphs. Let's be real. Also, know your amino acids. No this is not giving details. It is on the AAMC outline. Know your amino acids and everything pertaining to them. You can't blame AAMC for doing you wrong because they explicitly state what they might test. The Section Bank will help. I didn't it because I was not prepared so didn't want to ruin it by doing the SB or other official AAMC if I didn't feel prepared. One passage, did not require me to go back to the passage or look at the graphs. When I went in reading that passage, it all seemed gibberish to me, though I could understand what they were experimenting. But here came the questions - easy and short and sweet. The MCAT is like that. There were some passages that just went over my head. So many acronyms and things going on. Questions were hard too. Overall, hard.

P/S: Um. Not to bad. Seemed pretty easy if you really knew your psych/soc. A lot of applying definitions to real world scenarios and asking if you knew what the term was. Graphs and interpretation were okay. Nothing too bad. A few words, I'd say maybe 6 or 7, that I had never seen and a couple questions had answer choices that were very similar. If you knew your terms, you can pick out the 'best' answer choice amongst them.

good luck dude. and great profile pic.

My mistake! AHH I'm so embarrassed rn lol, I must have accidentally hit the quote button on your post :O!

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and analysis, would you say the 4 sections of the exam were like the Sample Test, Scored Test, or Section Bank? :)

Sorry. Didn't do the SB, Sample or Scored bc I went in knewing I would void. I wasn't prepared so I didn't want to waste my time doing them. Am going to them now once I get registered for new date.

I doubt I'll pass this exam. so might as well retake it earlier. I want to get it out of the way, but I want to feel confident when I'm done like the person above who said he/she had time left over and stuff
I felt the same way my first time and scheduled my retake for a week and a half after I would get my score back. I thought I scored 500ish when I first got out of the test but ended up a lot higher. It is only an extra week or 2 which will help you with your score a lot anyway.

imho C/P is the hardest section to prepare for. There is just too much information and AAMC doesn't stick to the percentages on their outlines. For example C/P section is supposed to cover 25% physics, 15% ochem, 35% gen chem, and 25% biochem
Yet, I've seen people post about their exam having 70% ochem, or 70% physics.(with knowledge of low yield material)
I don't think that's the fair part. I feel like they should stick to what is on the outline, but there is nothing we can do about it. So we just need to fully prepare for everything they can possibly throw at us.

imho C/P is the hardest section to prepare for. There is just too much information and AAMC doesn't stick to the percentages on their outlines. For example C/P section is supposed to cover 25% physics, 15% ochem, 35% gen chem, and 25% biochem
Yet, I've seen people post about their exam having 70% ochem, or 70% physics.(with knowledge of low yield material)
I don't think that's the fair part. I feel like they should stick to what is on the outline, but there is nothing we can do about it. So we just need to fully prepare for everything they can possibly throw at us.

I'm pretty sure they roughly stick to it and no one ends up with 70% physics. I feel like after people encounter something that made them panick their recall is significantly affected and they're more likely to say everything was physics if they felt ambushed on topics they didn't understand/were weak in.

I think the AAMC would definitely try to balance it as they outlined, may 5-10% variance, but not 3 times the proportion it was supposed to be.

Last edited:
I messed up on Cars. I'm certain of it. I know I Did.. especially since most of you are saying it was easy :( I didn't get to finish the last passage and guessed on the last 4 passages but managed to skim to answer the other 2 questions on that passage. There were too many specific questions that demanded referring back to the passages. I would be okay with a 123 and B/B was pretty um fun for the first half until the SB style passages came along and ruined me. The SPECIFICITY. Hey b0 goes to 123 which goes to ca34 which inhibits 99 which activates ffl5 and ffl6e. Like please I wish I could sign up for a retake but I have to wait for after September to be able to use an "attempt". I literally can't even drive home because how bad I wish I could go back and redo cars. This is going to be a long month.

I'm pretty sure they roughly stick to it and no one ends up with 70% physics. I feel like after people encounter something that made them panicked their recall is significantly affected and they're more likely to say everything was physics of they felt ambushed on topics they didn't understand/weak in.

I think the AAMC would definitely try to balance it as they outlined, may 5-10% variance, but not 3 times the proportion it was supposed to be.

well that's relieving to hear. My worst section is physical sciences. Getting good at gen chem (BR helped a lot). But still need some more help with second part of physics and some ochem topics (like reactions). Gonna be using BR book #2 for physics and chads videos for more Ochem review. Hopefully both of these sources help me get >126 in physical sciences lol. Testing on Sep 1st so I still got some time.

well that's relieving to hear. My worst section is physical sciences. Getting good at gen chem (BR helped a lot). But still need some more help with second part of physics and some ochem topics (like reactions). Gonna be using BR book #2 for physics and chads videos for more Ochem review. Hopefully both of these sources help me get >126 in physical sciences lol. Testing on Sep 1st so I still got some time.
I've taken the test twice. They do NOT stick to their percentages at all.

I messed up on Cars. I'm certain of it. I know I Did.. especially since most of you are saying it was easy :( I didn't get to finish the last passage and guessed on the last 4 passages but managed to skim to answer the other 2 questions on that passage. There were too many specific questions that demanded referring back to the passages. I would be okay with a 123 and B/B was pretty um fun for the first half until the SB style passages came along and ruined me. The SPECIFICITY. Hey b0 goes to 123 which goes to ca34 which inhibits 99 which activates ffl5 and ffl6e. Like please I wish I could sign up for a retake but I have to wait for after September to be able to use an "attempt". I literally can't even drive home because how bad I wish I could go back and redo cars. This is going to be a long month.

what do you mean you have to wait till September for an "attempt"?

P/C: Pretty standard...
what did you think about the cars section?

I really didn't think it was easy. But it looks like the majority of people thought CARS was okay. I thought it was pretty equivalent to the scored exam in terms of difficulty. I'm not sure... I scored a 125 on the scored exam (72% correct -- since when was that a 125???). So hopefully I didn't get lower... I wanted a 127. Lol. Probably not happening. What did you think?!

Reading some of the posts here and especially reddit has eased my tension a little. I'm so glad that other people thought that some of the B/B passages were incredibly dense and difficult and I wasn't the only one. My confidence is restored a little bit, even if it's false confidence. I'm grateful for whatever gets me through this next month of waiting since there's nothing I can do about it now :D

I've been waiting for you July 22ers responses all day. For those of you that had difficulty, I feel your pain. I'm waiting for my score from July 8 and my bar for what I'd take as an acceptable score drops every other day!

And to those that finish their exams 45-30 minutes early, you guys are beasts. I don't know how you guys do it. I was even slower on the actual mcat, because it was so hard to leave a question when unsure. I get finishing 10-15 minutes early but 45 minutes? :thinking:

I thought it was difficult. I scored a 126 on the cars on my previous mcat. This was definitely a harder cars section. I thought the chem and psych were very easy. The biology was average. The cars was the hardest for me. There was so many " look back to the passage questions." This took up way to much time. Main point and tone questions were not very much of a factor in this section. It was way more look at the details and infer. Overall, I'm predicting a 128 125 (praying for a 126 again) 127 128/129. May the mcat gods be with you all.

P/C: Pretty standard...

I really didn't think it was easy. But it looks like the majority of people thought CARS was okay. I thought it was pretty equivalent to the scored exam in terms of difficulty. I'm not sure... I scored a 125 on the scored exam (72% correct -- since when was that a 125???). So hopefully I didn't get lower... I wanted a 127. Lol. Probably not happening. What did you think?!

The general consensus from here and reddit is looking grim, so hopefully the curve is strong in this one.

What did everyone do to take their mind off the exam afterwards?

I immediately took a nap and then went out for a fish fry and saw an awesome jam band while drinking a few beers.... feeling much more relaxed now.

Last edited: