The Official June 21, 2012 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adele358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people make this thread for their MCAT date. I was unable to find one for this date so I took the liberty to make one. Please share what you have found works or does not work for you?

Members don't see this ad.

So where is everyone with their content review, practice tests and verbal practice?

I am floundering between June 21 and July 6 and a seat just opened up by me...

Behindd :eek:...Tried to study during finals but inevitably failed...Only like 60 % done with content review. Some are already taking FL's so I'm thinking I should maybe postpone to July 14 Would go July 6, but I want to take it in the morning. I guess it will give me more time to do my apps/ps...Dang :thumbdown:

So where is everyone with their content review, practice tests and verbal practice?

I am floundering between June 21 and July 6 and a seat just opened up by me...

also behind... just moderately satisfied with chemistry but still need physics and bio. going hard at physics this week with the intent to complete content on all physical sciences then will start biology. Despite that, at the end of the week I will take my first AAMC to get some sort of baseline.

Verbal is a daily practice routine similar to what SN2 suggests. early results based on a summation of all verbal passages shows me averaging about an 8 on verbal, this is probably optimistic because it is not all in one sitting but split up over a few days.

I just got out of orgo 2 so my organic chemistry content is still fresh. i tried doing the sn2ed routine but i prefer going thru a whole subject at a time rather than cycling through all of them. I do not have a baseline for the others yet and of course, when i take the actual practice test, that will supersede all previous indications for a baseline.

my problem seems to be the boredom with the content review, i think taking a test and doing poorly will spark a fire under my butt so i'm burning a test early on in the hopes that it really motivates me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for someone who wants to be my online accountability friend. I have gone through about 20% of content review and need to ramp it up. I've taken one AAMC and got a 26. Who wants to be my study buddy up until the test date?

Behindd :eek:...Tried to study during finals but inevitably failed...Only like 60 % done with content review. Some are already taking FL's so I'm thinking I should maybe postpone to July 14 Would go July 6, but I want to take it in the morning. I guess it will give me more time to do my apps/ps...Dang :thumbdown:

I still haven't done real studying yet, and won't be able to until next week.

Don't worry, we have time.

if anyone on here is planning on switching out of the June 21st date in the san diego area could you please PM me so we can work something out. I am taking the exam on may 24th and not sure if I am ready. have to reschedule by thursday and was looking to take someone's june spot

Same as above. If anyone is thinking of switching their June 21 test date in the Northeast (preferably Boston/NYC) could you please, please PM me! :)

I'm looking for someone who wants to be my online accountability friend. I have gone through about 20% of content review and need to ramp it up. I've taken one AAMC and got a 26. Who wants to be my study buddy up until the test date?
Hey, I'm looking for a study buddy too!!! Let me know if you're still looking.

Hit a snag in studying so I decided to take a FL. Wasn't too bad. I'm nowhere near where I need to be at on the PS but I felt like the BS was more stupid mistakes and changing answers.

scaled.php

Good baseline. Keep in mind which number AAMC this is - a common sentiment is that the earlier AAMC practices are less representative than the AAMC 10, for example.

TBR CBTs, you tend to score 2 points higher on the real MCAT. Kaplan, EK, all the others vary.

I'm currently in the middle of reading through the EK books. Don't know if I see the point of TBR, it's substantially more detail than is necessary and as a grad student I already have the problem of second guessing passage questions based on things I already know. That and I live outside the US, so I can't get the books anyway :laugh:

Best recommendation I've seen so far is to be around your absolute minimum score roughly one month before the actual test.

My current problem seems to be that studying doesn't correlate to an improvement in my score, so apparently I'm having trouble dealing with the format of questions. More practice needed, I guess.

Well my absolute minimum score that I want is a 29. So I have roughly two weeks to get to that. More studying is needed I guess.

I too only have EK. Hopefully that won't come back to bite me.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR CBTs, you tend to score 2 points higher on the real MCAT.

Is this generally how it works? I got a 34 (11-11-12) on TBR 1 earlier in the week. In the e-mail to me they said it's the easiest TBR test, so I didn't know what to make of it. If that's the case, then I guess I'm in pretty good shape.

If feel like such a noob, but TBR? What does that stand for?

I took AAMC #3 two days ago and got 9, 9, and 8. Which i am pretty happy with. Back in October I took the kaplan online free test and got 4, 8, and 12 which got me real nervous... I've taken biochem and genetics since then, so I think that's why my BS went up 5 points.

Studied for about a week before exams. Took a break for exams and I've been studying this week. So in total about a week and a half.

Good job. Getting 27 after studying ~10 days is impressing.

I'm about to start my MCAT prep for the June 21 exam. I haven't taken a diagnostic, and won't be till I finish my first content review. I also will be using EK's for the most part, but I might occasionally probe my comprehension with TBR.

From your experience, how long does it take to go through the EK content reviews plus their 30-min exams?

I'm about to start my MCAT prep for the June 21 exam. I haven't taken a diagnostic, and won't be till I finish my first content review. I also will be using EK's for the most part, but I might occasionally probe my comprehension with TBR.

From your experience, how long does it take to go through the EK content reviews plus their 30-min exams?

I normally read a chapter which takes about an hour or so, take the exam, review what I missed then I go back and write in my notebook the formulas/things I can't remember right away. So each chapter is about 2-3 hours or studying. It is slow going. I've made it halfway through the Biology and Chemistry books and only through the first chapter of Orgo.

I thought my Physics would be fine since I just took it this past year but...nope. Need to step it up on there.

Also my score is picked up by my verbal so much that I'm worried.

Looks like the general sentiment is that a lot of people are behind in where they planned to be in their MCAT plan (myself included). Hope everyone is catching up!

Kudos to everyone who is right on track or ahead of schedule.

Do any of you guys have the AMCAS old questions (ca. 1991)? I have them and I find it easy. Hoever, every time I do the more recent practice tests from AMCAS, they seem to be harder than the old one. What do you think?

So I am planning on taking the MCAT May 31st and signing up very soon, but I just dont feel quite ready. I just got done with finals and can finally focus ALL my time to studying, but I just feel May 31st is too soon. If I take the MCAT June 21st, is that too late with regards to trying to get my scores in to the medical schools early enough? Because all people talk about is getting it in AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE and I feel like getting a score Late July is kind of late, right?

also, I am completely open and accepting to the fact that I may retake it again, so If I take it on June 21st, when would be a good time to retake it without retaking it TOO late?

also, I am completely open and accepting to the fact that I may retake it again, so If I take it on June 21st, when would be a good time to retake it without retaking it TOO late?

Telling yourself now that you want to retake it is the most disadvantageous thing you can do to yourself. Why are you willing to retake it? Why bother taking it in June or May if you're not ready? If you are ready, there is no need to retake it. Telling yourself you are just going to retake it if you get a bad score will waste so much of your time and motivation while you are studying this next month.

Definitely feeling rushed at this point! We are 5 weeks out and I'm only just now starting my "serious" focused study schedule. I just graduated and have been super busy. I think I can nail this I just need a good Study calendar!

Does anyone have a solid 5 week calendar that they plan to study?

I'm Starting My test prep today :/ I feel so behind already. I know we can do it though! I'm glad there are some people on here to hold each other accountable. If anyone wants to keep in contact and make sure we get this done, I am more than willing! I'm a people person, so I like to know that others are in the same boat as me.

I'm Starting My test prep today :/ I feel so behind already. I know we can do it though! I'm glad there are some people on here to hold each other accountable. If anyone wants to keep in contact and make sure we get this done, I am more than willing! I'm a people person, so I like to know that others are in the same boat as me.

I'll help keep you accountable! I need it for myself too haha.

Same here!

BTW, I'm using a Kaplan book because I picked it up a while back. Is EK far superior and worth the buy? Or should I truck through with this baby? Or just use both!

BTW, I'm using a Kaplan book because I picked it up a while back. Is EK far superior and worth the buy? Or should I truck through with this baby? Or just use both!

Never used Kaplan myself. I've heard good things and bad things. Definitely pick up EK bio if you can. It is really useful and is helping me understand a lot. Plus I've seen several questions on practice tests that are exactly answered by the passages in EK bio.

got through almost all of physics and chem. decided to put off my first diagnostic another week while i concentrate on learning biological sciences while doing physical sciences exercises.

I'm basically spending all my time each day studying, but that is the price you pay when you are behind. I feel "caught up" in a certain sense, but the retention and weakspots at such an approach will be revealed soon enough. I'll take a day off soon for diablo 3 :D

got through almost all of physics and chem. decided to put off my first diagnostic another week while i concentrate on learning biological sciences while doing physical sciences exercises.

I'm basically spending all my time each day studying, but that is the price you pay when you are behind. I feel "caught up" in a certain sense, but the retention and weakspots at such an approach will be revealed soon enough. I'll take a day off soon for diablo 3 :D

Haha oh diablo 3. I wish I could play it. I have however been getting very distracted by Battlefield lately. :laugh:

Anyone else here doing The Berkeley Review and freaking out about not being able to finish any content review. We got less than 5 weeks and I'm only half-way through content review... Been trying to double up on chapters but Chemistry and Organic are my weakest subjects and it's been taking me literally forever to do each chapter. I tried to cut back on taking notes which helped a lot on timing but I'm still behind by 2 weeks. I'm wondering if I should do all-nighters to catch up...

Anyone else here doing The Berkeley Review and freaking out about not being able to finish any content review. We got less than 5 weeks and I'm only half-way through content review... Been trying to double up on chapters but Chemistry and Organic are my weakest subjects and it's been taking me literally forever to do each chapter. I tried to cut back on taking notes which helped a lot on timing but I'm still behind by 2 weeks. I'm wondering if I should do all-nighters to catch up...

I'm behind too and I'm about halfway through content review. Have you taken a baseline yet? Find out if you're near where you want to be even without all the content being done. With that being said, I will probably be pulling some all nighters soon. My content review is happening so slow.

I'm behind too and I'm about halfway through content review. Have you taken a baseline yet? Find out if you're near where you want to be even without all the content being done. With that being said, I will probably be pulling some all nighters soon. My content review is happening so slow.

Nope...not yet. I kind of started off doing subject by subject stupidly instead of rotating. So I'm done with Physics but then I realized that rotating is probably better so now I did 3 chapters of Orgo, Chem, and Bio. I think once I go halfway through orgo, chem, and bio, I'll do a full-length even though I originally wanted to do them after I'm done with content review. But at this point I'm running out of time so I probably should do a practice full length just to see if what if I've studied so far is actually registering.

Cheers to all-nighters. BLAH haha.

Haha oh diablo 3. I wish I could play it. I have however been getting very distracted by Battlefield lately. :laugh:

My husband plays Battlefield a lot but we moved temporarily for the summer because he has an internship and we didn't bring our PS3. He's been watching youtube videos of people playing Battlefield instead. It's so depressing to watch him =P

My husband plays Battlefield a lot but we moved temporarily for the summer because he has an internship and we didn't bring our PS3. He's been watching youtube videos of people playing Battlefield instead. It's so depressing to watch him =P

Your husband is a champ, when I'm done with my MCAT I'm going to take a long break by playing BF3 until I pass out