The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys I need some advice. I'm thinking of dropping French. I keep confusing it with Spanish, and I can't understand anything my professor writes because she writes only in cursive and I can't read cursive. And I just feel like it's not worth it to take a class "for fun" when I don't even enjoy it. But at the same time, I feel bad just giving up because it's too hard.
I don't know what to do. Would taking only 12 credits look bad? I'd be taking anatomy, independent biology research for my capstone, astronomy and Caribbean Literature for my Spanish major. Plus I'm going to be working which I don't usually do. All past semesters I've taken 15 credits except for my first semester when I took 18.

I don't think it is a bad thing, especially in the fall of your senior year.

Yeah, I guess I'm less worried about only having 12 credit hours and more worried about feeling like a failure for dropping =/ I don't want to be the person who gives up on anything that is challenging for me or makes me uncomfortable...but...I don't know. I hate going to class, I just sit there anxiously waiting for her to call on me so I can mispronounce everything and look stupid in front of the entire class. It seems like half the kids in my class have a background in French, even though it's 101. Ugh. Lol sorry I know no one here can tell me what to do, I just need to vent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone keep getting emails from various school trying to urge you to apply? I got Northwestern last week and Penn just now.

Yeah, I guess I'm less worried about only having 12 credit hours and more worried about feeling like a failure for dropping =/ I don't want to be the person who gives up on anything that is challenging for me or makes me uncomfortable...but...I don't know. I hate going to class, I just sit there anxiously waiting for her to call on me so I can mispronounce everything and look stupid in front of the entire class. It seems like half the kids in my class have a background in French, even though it's 101. Ugh. Lol sorry I know no one here can tell me what to do, I just need to vent.
Take film studies or something

Guys I need some advice. I'm thinking of dropping French. I keep confusing it with Spanish, and I can't understand anything my professor writes because she writes only in cursive and I can't read cursive. And I just feel like it's not worth it to take a class "for fun" when I don't even enjoy it. But at the same time, I feel bad just giving up because it's too hard.
I don't know what to do. Would taking only 12 credits look bad? I'd be taking anatomy, independent biology research for my capstone, astronomy and Caribbean Literature for my Spanish major. Plus I'm going to be working which I don't usually do. All past semesters I've taken 15 credits except for my first semester when I took 18.
I had the same worry about 12 credits and most people here said that it was okay as long as you didn't only do 12 credit semesters.

This 12 credit semester is awesome so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah honestly we've shown them that we can excel with more than 12 in all previous semesters so I don't think it will be a problem. Plus if they ask just say I was missing too many classes or something lol

Thanks guys, I ended up dropping it! :D Only regret is that I spent like $100 on the online workbook and can't get a refund x.x Oh well.
Lol my schedule now is hilarious. Monday and Wednesday I have class from 12:30-1:45 and 3-3:50. Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00-11:15. And Friday from 3-3:50.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I love my schedule. The classes I am taking are challenging but I'm okay with anything after mcat

What are you taking again?
Lol my only challenging class is anatomy...Today was a disaster. I'm pretty sure most of the class spent the entire class period trying to figure out what page of the lab manual the professor was on. And then class ended my friend and I just looked at each other and said, "What just happened?" We're all so clueless as to what level of detail the professor wants us to learn.

Yeah anatomy can get tough at times. you got this!!

I'm taking some advanced classes required for my major and a gen ed lol, love this semester

Yeah anatomy can get tough at times. you got this!!

I'm taking some advanced classes required for my major and a gen ed lol, love this semester

Yeah at this point it's mostly just difficult because no one has any idea what to expect for the exams. Luckily the first test is take home...Thank God, because the test is on the Monday after the Pope is going to be in Philly, and I'll have been on a bus all of Sunday night and early Monday morning. Oh, and I just realized the second exam is the day after I get back from Disney World. That's cool, I'm just destined to fail this class. Lol I'm glad I didn't get any early interviews since I will be traveling 3/4 weekends in October.

Haha must be nice to not take any pre-med classes! I really like all of my classes (other than French, obviously) too. For once I think Spanish is actually my favorite class.

well bio major, so most prereqs were part of my major! and I enjoyed them all actually

but now that we've moved onto more specific and clinically relevant topics, it's very interesting! Are you taking any science?

well bio major, so most prereqs were part of my major! and I enjoyed them all actually

but now that we've moved onto more specific and clinically relevant topics, it's very interesting! Are you taking any science?

I wish I had done a bio Spanish double major, but I didn't realize I loved bio until it was too late :( The third intro bio class was probably my favorite college class I've ever taken, besides calc 2.

I guess anatomy is considered science, it's listed as a bio class. And astronomy lol. Idk usually astronomy is considered easy but I've heard that here it's actually pretty challenging. It doesn't seem bad so far, but that might be because I took this class in high school. And I guess my independent research is technically science because it's classified as bio. But I already did all the research, I just have to crunch numbers now. Which is going to be awful because I have no idea how to use R x.x

My anatomy professor got annoyed because people were scheduling interviews on Wednesdays which is when we have lab... It's like come on, 99% of this class is pre meds and you've been teaching it for decades, shouldn't you know that med schools typically interview on Wednesdays?

Just had the professor of the hardest class I have this year tell me how big of a hit it is going to be for me to miss lectures, and that he has no way of helping me out with these all important missed lectures :sour:

Just had the professor of the hardest class I have this year tell me how big of a hit it is going to be for me to miss lectures, and that he has no way of helping me out with these all important missed lectures :sour:
Had the same thing happen. Just ask friends for recordings and notes, don't stress!

Yeah, definitely ask for someones notes and make sure to read whatever chapter was covered and you should be good! Your school might have tutors for the class if you can't understand some things without lectures as well!

Thanks guys! Luckily I have a friend who can give me notes. Just a little scary because it's a graduate level class with half grad students :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
I need shoe advice. I have super weird feet. I have a huge bony protrusion near my big toe (like where my future bunions will inevitably be) so that makes heels super uncomfortable. The heel of my foot is very narrow, so my feet tend to slip right out of flats. I am going to oder an Ugg flat that has fur around the heel part to see if that helps. But what do you guys think of wearing shiny black Oxfords with a skirt suit? It would look kind of nerdy I know, but I reallyyyy cannot handle being in uncomfortable shoes.

Untitled 2.png

Have you asked on the fashion thread? I think they are okay. What about those shoes with the strap over the top? Mary Janes? I just know that my mom who worked on concrete floors had a pair that was really comfortable and they looked fine with skirts.

Oh god. There's a whole thread about fashion? Now I'm probably going to pick out the wrong suit.

Also, just got an II at UVM (IS) for this month! Holy crap its too soon!

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up figuring it out with the help of the fashion thread! Here is my dress and shoes, and I'll wear a black blazer, a silver necklace and small silver hoop earrings, and nude tights. The shoes are like two inch heels btw

Attachments

• 1441463565266.jpg
    1441463565266.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 37
It's considered too formal, I believe.
My first interview I thought I'd wear charcoal, cuz it's a little different; I thought. I looked about as original as a guy wearing khaki shorts and sperrys at a Dave Mathews Band concert.

Lol yea my outfit is very non original but I think as long as we look professional no one can reject us for not being daring enough to wear a a plaid suit or something

in a few days. I'm on here procrastinating. I don't even know what else to prepare at this point but I feel like I should be doing something!! what about you?
21 days! Just got it yesterday so I'm freaking out a little (my other one is for late November, so I thought I had a lot more time). How long did you spend preparing?

21 days! Just got it yesterday so I'm freaking out a little (my other one is for late November, so I thought I had a lot more time). How long did you spend preparing?
Not a lot actually. I'm still preparing my canned answer for "tell me about yourself" ugh it's a struggle. I just want to come off as natural. People have told me when I just talk as if I'm having a conversation, I seem a lot more passionate if that even makes sense. So I'm not preparing for every question, just the main big ones like "why medicine"

Also my schools mock interview sucks so that was pretty useless

Mine is the 9th. I was freaking out, but now I am freaking out a lot. I should probably get off the computer and think about interview answers.

Reactions: 3 users
Not a lot actually. I'm still preparing my canned answer for "tell me about yourself" ugh it's a struggle. I just want to come off as natural. People have told me when I just talk as if I'm having a conversation, I seem a lot more passionate if that even makes sense. So I'm not preparing for every question, just the main big ones like "why medicine"

Also my schools mock interview sucks so that was pretty useless
One of the docs I work with was kind enough to schedule a mock interview with me in a couple weeks. The ED docs have actually been super helpful throughout the whole process, which has been awesome. I'm definitely going to make some canned answers for the big Q's, but I'm also going to think a lot about many other questions because I'm afraid of getting stumped.

Also, I use humor as a coping mechanism when I get nervous, so I hope I don't say something bad, haha.

Really hoping for an early acceptance so I don't have to spend the rest of my life savings on plane tickets