The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to know how much our undergrad school plays a role in all this... I just saw this wamc thread about this harvard kid with 3.4 and 499 mcat wanting to go to top 10, which I thought was ridiculous, but I wonder if the name really plays that big of a role?
I feel (or at least hope) it only comes into play when try to decide between two very similar applicants. I go to a well known state school, but it doesn't have the same effect as being from a top private school.

And as for that thread, I'm guessing he's a troll, or someone who has gotten quite the superiority complex from going to Harvard.

You have to have "more than one summer of hypothesis driven research", and I only had one summer =/ Plus I like research but I would never want it to be the focus of my career so I don't think I'd have been a good fit for CT.
Yeah research is cool and I enjoy it, but I honestly couldn't imagine do it for a living or for a substantial part of my career. Not quite my cup of tea.

I feel (or at least hope) it only comes into play when trying to decide between two very similar applicants. I go to a well known state school, but it doesn't have the same effect as being from a top private school.
Yea I think mines pretty great but not a top private either
Another part of the app process out of our control at this point I suppose!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel (or at least hope) it only comes into play when try to decide between two very similar applicants. I go to a well known state school, but it doesn't have the same effect as being from a top private school.

And as for that thread, I'm guessing he's a troll, or someone who has gotten quite the superiority complex from going to Harvard.
Lol he was like "too humiliating to apply DO" so maybe a troll

Reactions: 1 users
Have any of y'all written a letter of interest? I have a really compelling reason to want to be in Texas but I'm OOS. So I'm not sure how to approach writing it.

Have any of y'all written a letter of interest? I have a really compelling reason to want to be in Texas but I'm OOS. So I'm not sure how to approach writing it.
Make sure you research what school you are sending that to. Some of them emphatically say "no letters of intent". Also if you do end up writing one, make sure you write it only to one school. This is something a former professor of mine in undergrad who was in the med school committee placed a lot of emphasis on. He said that in the past they had found out that some students had written letters of intent to more than one school and that that resulted in an automatic rejection. I guess it shows a lack of professionalism.
If your heart is set in a particular school them go ahead by all means. If not, then stick to application updates and in the area emails to see if you get lucky.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you research what school you are sending that to. Some of them emphatically say "no letters of intent". Also if you do end up writing one, make sure you write it only to one school. This is something a former professor of mine in undergrad who was in the med school committee placed a lot of emphasis on. He said that in the past they had found out that some students had written letters of intent to more than one school and that that resulted in an automatic rejection. I guess it shows a lack of professionalism.
If your heart is set in a particular school them go ahead by all means. If not, then stick to application updates and in the area emails to see if you get lucky.

Yikes. Do you know how they found out?

Oh wow I didn't know they reject you for that! I will only send a letter of intent if I am on a waitlist for a top choice at some point.

Yikes. Do you know how they found out?
He never said how they found out. Im guessing people from adjacent schools know each other (he said that a particular person sent the letters for three schools in the same state). And you are absolutely right. It is kinda dishonest to do that

they do say adcoms talk to each other, guess that's how they found out
I guess I'll wait until late spring to worry about maybe sending one if I need to

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should be more clear. The school in question is UTSA. They don't have a secondary, so I wasn't able to bring up the circumstances and make it clear that I'd definitely go there if admitted to a Texas school. So I think it would just be a letter to that school, so I don't think I'd have any issue as far as adcoms hearing about it.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do, but I don't even really know how to word it.

Haha thank God I don't get Kaplan emails since I didn't take a class. The Mprep has no unsubscribe link, so annoying. And the worst part is, they actually stopped doing the daily questions once the new MCAT started being administered, and didn't start again til this month, so I never even got to use the questions of the day!

I got another one just now. I bought the books but did not take a class. I guess that was enough for the email floodgates of hell to break open

I got another one just now. I bought the books but did not take a class. I guess that was enough for the email floodgates of hell to break open

Interesting, I bought the books but don't get the emails. Maybe because I bought them on Amazon.

Thanks! Cramming for my life

Lol I know the feeling. I didn't get any schoolwork done last week, I'm so behind. I have to read 100 pages of a Spanish novel in 2 days (still working on that...), write an outline for my final Spanish paper and I have no freaking clue what the prof wants to see because there are no guidelines, start data analysis for my senior capstone and I have no freaking idea how to use R, and I have to study for an anatomy exam, it's not till two weeks from now but I'm going to disney world for fall break next weekend and I don't want to be studying there.
Oh, and October 15th is in 3 days, 9 hours, 38 minutes, 2 seconds.

Omgggggggg that's a lot haha
I have 6 more hrs of this bio lecture but it's starting to sound like Chinese, we are so deep in molecular bio
But so interesting :)

And then I have another adv bio exam to cram for, and the third one is psych which hopefully is not too bad. Haven't been able to go to clas in like a month so I'll find out... :dead:

Jesus you two. I would've never imagined that Lannister spoke Spanish haha.
Well i kinda feel like a lazy slob now. I am working full time during this my gap year but you two are kicking butt. You are going to go far :)

Jesus you two. I would've never imagined that Lannister spoke Spanish haha.
Well i kinda feel like a lazy slob now. I am working full time during this my gap year but you two are kicking butt. You are going to go far :)
I'm right there with ya! Full time work is a whole different monster. Kinda wish I was in school right now honestly.

I think we need to plan an official May 22, 2015 MCAT thread reunion somewhere before we all start next summer. That would be pretty sweet I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Woot woot, got a 92 on my second anatomy lab practical (85 is an A). Huge improvement over my last lab practical score. Now I feel like I actually have a chance at getting an A in this class!

I'm a Tigers fan, but the Cubs story is just too great not to root for!

Exactly! All my Sox Fans friends say that they hope the Cubs lose and I'm like come on, if the Sox still had a chance I'd agree but how great would it be to see the Cubs win the world series? I would probably cry. I legit cried watching the Hawks raise the Stanley Cup banner at United Center last week lol.

This thread keeps getting better and better by the day. Never thought i would find some baseball love around here. Yay!!!

Help procrastinating on Sdn instead of studying
I feel that each interview is exhausting afterward with the traveling and walking.. I just want to sleep -_-

struggle is real
lanny didn't you have exams tomorrow too

Tomorrow, I don't. I have an outline of my final paper due and a presentation in Spanish on Wednesday tho. Got the outline done, done with the presentation for the most part. Schoolwork isn't too bad right now. Earlier I was procrastinating by planning out next semester's schedule, I'm so excited to take upper level physiology, I loved intro physiology.