The Official May 31, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a thread on this but I couldn't find one. If there is, please let me know! Anyway, I took the TBR course from September(ish?)-December and was going to take the exam on January but wasn't ready enough go forward. Anyway I will be starting SN2's 3 month plan either today or tomorrow using the TBR books as well as EKs with TBR, TPR, and AAMC FLs. So who's with me??

Members don't see this ad.

A Wikipedia source? Really? I don't think I even have to go into much of detail for this. And frankly, no one asked u :/
That's the great thing about public forums- nobody has to ask me. Also, "Wikipedia isn't an accurate source!" is generally the argument of someone with no evidence for their position, though I'm certainly willing to hear any that exists (provided we all agree that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data"). As a matter of fact, the accuracy of Wikipedia has been studied in depth and found to be very similar to the Encyclopedia Britannica. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm

With respect to orgone energy, Wilhelm Reich (the person who proposed it), like so many others touting pseudoscientific ideas, was trying to make money. His supposed discovery was examined by scientists including Einstein and found to have no basis whatsoever in reality. His mental health was in question by the end of his life; he was diagnosed as paranoid and became convinced that aliens were trying to destroy the planet by flying UFOs into our atmosphere and leaving deadly trails of dark orgone energy. He died in jail because he refused to stop selling quack medical devices rejected by the FDA that supposedly channeled this unobservable energy to cure literally any medical condition. Any. Which is the absolute most obvious hallmark of a scam artist (or, perhaps more charitably, someone who has very large gaps in scientific knowledge), as it has been through hundreds of years of people claiming that their untestable, unverifiable idea really works even though there's not a shred of evidence to support it.

That's why as future scientists and physicians, we hold the peer-review process in such high regard. That's the one thing that differentiates people with legitimate scientific ideas from people who are either just trying to scam you, or (e.g. in the case of Linus Pauling obsessed with the idea that Vitamin C megadoses cure cancer) have good intentions but who hold ideas that simply don't stand up under scientific scrutiny. That's why it's so important that we be willing to change our opinions, even if deeply held, when presented with new evidence and information. Can you imagine how primitive the field of medicine would be if we didn't have scientists and doctors willing to do that?

Now, more on point, that's not to say that I don't agree that positive visualization can help. I think you are probably more likely to do well on your MCAT because you practiced positive visualization. And that's great! Maybe the average MCAT score would even rise if more people practiced that. I agree that it can help, and I encourage you to continue. However, any benefit beyond chance isn't due to an unobservable, undetectable, magical "force" or "energy." It's due to extremely well-known, well-studied psychological phenomena.

Stay skeptical, my friends. (Said in the Dos Equis voice.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
That's the great thing about public forums- nobody has to ask me. Also, "Wikipedia isn't an accurate source!" is generally the argument of someone with no evidence for their position, though I'm certainly willing to hear any that exists (provided we all agree that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data"). As a matter of fact, the accuracy of Wikipedia has been studied in depth and found to be very similar to the Encyclopedia Britannica. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm

With respect to orgone energy, Wilhelm Reich (the person who proposed it), like so many others touting pseudoscientific ideas, was trying to make money. His supposed discovery was examined by scientists including Einstein and found to have no basis whatsoever in reality. His mental health was in question by the end of his life; he was diagnosed as paranoid and became convinced that aliens were trying to destroy the planet by flying UFOs into our atmosphere and leaving deadly trails of dark orgone energy. He died in jail because he refused to stop selling quack medical devices rejected by the FDA that supposedly channeled this unobservable energy to cure literally any medical condition. Any. Which is the absolute most obvious hallmark of a scam artist (or, perhaps more charitably, someone who has very large gaps in scientific knowledge), as it has been through hundreds of years of people claiming that their untestable, unverifiable idea really works even though there's not a shred of evidence to support it.

That's why as future scientists and physicians, we hold the peer-review process in such high regard. That's the one thing that differentiates people with legitimate scientific ideas from people who are either just trying to scam you, or (e.g. in the case of Louis Pasteur obsessed with the idea that Vitamin C megadoses cure cancer) have good intentions but who hold ideas that simply don't stand up under scientific scrutiny. That's why it's so important that we be willing to change our opinions, even if deeply held, when presented with new evidence and information. Can you imagine how primitive the field of medicine would be if we didn't have scientists and doctors willing to do that?

Now, more on point, that's not to say that I don't agree that positive visualization can help. I think you are probably more likely to do well on your MCAT because you practiced positive visualization. And that's great! Maybe the average MCAT score would even rise if more people practiced that. I agree that it can help, and I encourage you to continue. However, any benefit beyond chance isn't due to an unobservable, undetectable, magical "force" or "energy." It's due to extremely well-known, well-studied psychological phenomena.

I think it was Linus Pauling that thought vitamin C could cure cancer, not Louis Pasteur. But otherwise I am impressed with the sheer number of characters in your response.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was Linus Pauling that thought vitamin C could cure cancer, not Louis Pasteur. But otherwise I am impressed with the sheer number of characters in your response.
Whoops, you're absolutely right. I confused my scientists with the initials "LP." I'll edit my original post! Thank you for setting me straight. :)

Gahh okay, now that I'm reading everyone's thoughts on verbal, I definitely want to say that I didn't think it was easy. I just said easier than AAMC. And for me, that's because I actually found the passages readable and interesting (some of the AAMC ones were so boring that I just couldn't keep focus). I still think the questions were rough and probably honestly got half of them wrong haha, but I didn't want to pull my hair out, so for me it was a good day! Which I needed thanks to PS.....
So if you guys don't like your score, do you think it's too late to retake for this cycle later this summer?

Glad somebody took the time to read it cause I sure as hell didn't. 7 pages on this thread and not one smart ass with their unneeded opinion on topics not directly related to them, until now.

Glad somebody took the time to read it cause I sure as hell didn't. 7 pages on this thread and not one smart ass with their unneeded opinion on topics not directly related to them, until now.
This is exactly what I'm talking about with respect to the importance of the ability to change opinions with new information instead of ignoring new evidence because you don't like it.

But I think I've effectively made my point (with no counterarguments, even!), so I'll let you folks get back to discussing the MCAT. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
This is exactly what I'm talking about with respect to the importance of the ability to change opinions with new information instead of ignoring new evidence because you don't like it.

But I think I've effectively made my point (with no counterarguments, even!), so I'll let you folks get back to discussing the MCAT. :laugh:
Thank u! Because we were doing it so peacefully without you.

And I'm sorry if you thought EYE would sit here and engage in a pointless debate with you about MY beliefs. How dumb does that sound?

Bye :)

Thank u! Because we were doing it so peacefully without you.

And I'm sorry if you thought EYE would sit here and engage in a pointless debate with you about MY beliefs. How dumb does that sound?

Bye :)
Questioning one's beliefs is not at all dumb. Besides, if there were actually evidence for it, maybe I'd want in!

Anyway. Someone feel free to chime in with something MCAT-related. :D

Last edited:
okkey people, back to MCAT - did you all have the avocado verbal passage? :laugh::laugh:
Yesssssss!!! I was like did they run out of topics?! Then the Global Map. I was like hmmm, avocados and country's have nothing to do with each other:confused:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know the passage wasn't actually about avocados. Its code for what the passage was really about since we can't really say the real topic. But if not then me and anonymous may have very well had different verbals from everybody else, which makes sense since we're like the only ones complaining about how hard ours were while everyone else said it was easy.

You know the passage wasn't actually about avocados. Its code for what the passage was really about since we can't really say the real topic. But if not then me and anonymous may have very well had different verbals from everybody else, which makes sense since we're like the only ones complaining about how hard ours were while everyone else said it was easy.

Omgggg this is the best thing i have read so far.... This gives me hope

That's why as future scientists and physicians, we hold the peer-review process in such high regard. That's the one thing that differentiates people with legitimate scientific ideas from people who are either just trying to scam you, or (e.g. in the case of Linus Pauling obsessed with the idea that Vitamin C megadoses cure cancer) have good intentions but who hold ideas that simply don't stand up under scientific scrutiny. That's why it's so important that we be willing to change our opinions, even if deeply held, when presented with new evidence and information. Can you imagine how primitive the field of medicine would be if we didn't have scientists and doctors willing to do that?

FWIW I don't see the hostility in your post lol

Jeez this is agonizing. They must have the scores by now, why make us sweat it out for another two days?

Last edited:
but really....
and asking my question again: what happens if we want to retake when we see our scores? will it be to late? please tell me!!!

Ill probably retake early August and apply anyways.... Its definitely late but what can we do? I still have to submit my primaries....... No other options for me unfortunately

You are on a forum for aspiring physicians, and you believe in magic rocks.

Reactions: 1 users
There should be a TLC show about waiting for MCAT scores. It's so dramatic. I would watch.

Reactions: 3 users
You are on a forum for aspiring physicians, and you believe in magic rocks.

Maybe you should remind yourself that you are also on a forum for aspiring physicians and you're being condescending over something that you really could have just scrolled over, just like the smart one. Another guy said he believes in Jesus and that's not my religion but did I attempt to discredit his beliefs? No I didn't because people have a right to believe in what they want to, atleast in America they do. I now see that many people are going to be lying on these applications when it comes time to discuss your lovely character traits. Bye now.

I don't think I've ever been so anxious
It's killing me..everytime the mere thought of finding out my score Tuesday sends my heart rate over the roof..I just wish you all the best and that we all get the best news come Tuesday.

OMG you guys. I pretty much found the TLC show thing.

I take my statement back. I would not watch.

OMG you guys. I pretty much found the TLC show thing.

I take my statement back. I would not watch.

I could barely get through half of this. I feel so bad now for anyone who has had to talk to me in the past month while I complain about this wait.

Maybe you should remind yourself that you are also on a forum for aspiring physicians and you're being condescending over something that you really could have just scrolled over, just like the smart one. Another guy said he believes in Jesus and that's not my religion but did I attempt to discredit his beliefs? No I didn't because people have a right to believe in what they want to, atleast in America they do. I now see that many people are going to be lying on these applications when it comes time to discuss your lovely character traits. Bye now.
Whether I think it's reasonable or not, all kinds of people in this country believe in an invisible sky-man and the product of his invisble sky-dong. I didn't say anything to that person because he/she wasn't being an dingus to others, disregarding evidence, and flagrantly poo-pooing the principles on which the art we all want to practice is based. Would it make you feel less personally attacked if I posted a link to a study indicating that prayer is ineffective?

The worst part is, if you do get into medical school, it will only serve to further convince you that your magic rocks work, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Whether I think it's reasonable or not, all kinds of people in this country believe in an invisible sky-man and the product of his invisble sky-dong. I didn't say anything to that person because he/she wasn't being an dingus to others, disregarding evidence, and flagrantly poo-pooing the principles on which the art we all want to practice is based. Would it make you feel less personally attacked if I posted a link to a study indicating that prayer is ineffective?

The worst part is, if you do get into medical school, it will only serve to further convince you that your magic rocks work, despite all evidence to the contrary.
You are way more blunt than I am! :laugh:

But yes, this kind of thinking is very problematic for evidence-based medicine. We'd never get anywhere in science or medicine if we covered our ears and said "LALALALALA, this conflicts with what I want to believe is true; let's ignore it because I don't want to entertain the possibility that I was wrong."

Reminds me of this, which is an urge that is harder for some to fight than others:
Unfortunately+this+is+how+the+brain+works.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
ZERO productivity these days.... is it just me??

Nope. Went on vacation for a week and now just waiting around. Can't even be productive with secondaries since I won't know if I'm withdrawing my application or not (primary is waiting to verified) until Tuesday. Current status: :nailbiting:

At least we were even able to take the MCAT. That's a lot farther than most of the world would dream of accomplishing. Good or bad score be sure to count your blessing. I think it is cool I am even able to worry about my MCAT score. I dropped out of high school after the ninth grade and I am so blessed to have made it this far :)

Reactions: 6 users
Can someone please show these guys the exit? Stop quoting me and talking to me. You sound like egotistical dinguses and I'm sure it won't be as easy to hide in your interviews as you think. Scary to think people so condescending have the possibility of being someone's doctor one day. Smh. Did you even take your test on May 31st? If not would you please find another post and another person to drown your opinions with? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can someone please show these guys the exit? Stop quoting me and talking to me. You sound like egotistical dinguses and I'm sure it won't be as easy to hide in your interviews as you think. Scary to think people so condescending have the possibility of being someone's doctor one day. Smh. Did you even take your test on May 31st? If not would you please find another post and another post to drown your opinions with? Thanks in advance.

Lol, chill dude. It's just an internet forum. We're all just looking at 1s and 0s right now

Reactions: 2 users
At least we were even able to take the MCAT. That's a lot farther than most of the world would dream of accomplishing. Good or bad score be sure to count your blessing. I think it is cool I am even able to worry about my MCAT score. I dropped out of high school after the ninth grade and I am so blessed to have made it this far :)
You know what, I am now starting to see what this was really all about for me. I too had a rough past and struggled with the MCAT my first time taking it and it was because I had too much going on..this journey with you guys have been so awesome and some of you here were very positive and so helpful to me and each other. If it wasn't for this forum and this site idk where I would be right now in terms of everything premed. We are going to have awesome scores come Tuesday and will one day all accomplish our dreams!

Lol, chill dude. It's just an internet forum. We're all just looking at 1s and 0s right now
I know this, however no one wants to be harassed on here. They're not trying to condescend you for something that you said to someone else, they are quoting me and trying to get a reaction out of me and I would appreciate it they leave me out of it. I have been on this thread since taking my test and come here for support with my fellow MCATers, not to be harassed for my beliefs.
Notice how the Aspiring dude wasn't even on this thread and only came here to attack what I said to superdoc. Would love for this thread to remain a positive place for me to interact with other adults without being attacked and not forced into a debate about my spiritual beliefs.

Last edited:
I know this, however no one wants to be harassed on here. They're not trying to condescend you for something that you said to someone else, they are quoting me and trying to get a reaction out of me and I would appreciate it they leave me out of it. I have been on this thread since taking my test and come here for support with my fellow MCATers, not to be harassed for my beliefs.
Notice how the Aspiring dude wasn't even on this thread and only came here to attack what I said to superdoc. Would love for this thread to remain a positive place for me to interact with other adults without being attacked and not forced into a debate about my spiritual beliefs.
I'm not a dude. But if you can point out a particular quote where I was rude (just re-read it and couldn't find anything), I'll certainly apologize. You could even PM it to avoid further bothering these other nice people.

I do apologize to everyone for the mild threadjack, although in my defense, June 5th spent a fair amount of time discussing Netflix during their wait, so I assume alternate topics are fair game. :) Carry on.

Last edited: