*The Official MCAT June 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretty_positron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
June 2nd, 2018 here.

81 days until the test, here.

Let's rock, brothers and sisters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
June 16th. IM IN!
hope studying is going well for all of you :)

"Everything negative. PRESSURE. CHALLENGES. Its all an opportunity for me to rise"
-
Black Mamba

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
June 2nd

Currently going through 300 page ka notes ugh it's too painful

And getting destroyed by ek 101 passages :(

June 2nd

I wouldn't worry too much about your performance on EK passages, try your hand at some actual AAMC stuff and see how you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
June 2nd

Unlike other recommendations you're still pretty early before you need to be starting AAMC stuff so EK is a great source to be using. You may also want to check into Uworld if you would like some more QBanks.

Thinking of moving my exam from may 5th to june 16th, anyone know if there's consequence in doing so for Texas admissions since they start May 1st?

Thinking of moving my exam from may 5th to june 16th, anyone know if there's consequence in doing so for Texas admissions since they start May 1st?

Texas schools start interviewing in August and start sending out invites in July as far as I can tell, which means that ideally you would want your MCAT scores back by the beginning part of July. I don't think June 16th would put you behind but maybe consider June 1 or 2 for a test date if you are worried about it. TMDSAS opens on May 1st but even if you hit submit on May 1 it will take several weeks for them to verify everything so in reality nobody is getting their applications complete until June.

Hello everyone! June 30 here :) does anyone have a good 8-week plan? I have been studying on and off but I need a solid plan for those 8 weeks!! We can do this!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone! June 30 here :) does anyone have a good 8-week plan? I have been studying on and off but I need a solid plan for those 8 weeks!! We can do this!!!!!!!!!

Buy the entire AAMC pack, it's about 2k questions in total. Go through it twice. That's about 60 questions per day. Supplement with Khan Academy for the things that are giving you trouble but tbh I've found the AAMC material the most useful and doing 60 questions per day is easily doable.

I'm going to register for the June 16th MCAT. Just like last year, except this year I will be ready.... nervous thoooo

Buy the entire AAMC pack, it's about 2k questions in total. Go through it twice. That's about 60 questions per day. Supplement with Khan Academy for the things that are giving you trouble but tbh I've found the AAMC material the most useful and doing 60 questions per day is easily doable.
Thank you!!!

June 30!!!
If I havent finished fully reviewing the material should I start doing passage practices or should I wait

Do not wait. Start learning how the MCAT tests now. It is quite dissimilar to the way you are used to taking tests. The further I get along in doing AAMC problems the more I realize what everyone else has already said: the MCAT is a reasoning test more than a content test.

Question for those testing mid-to-late June. Are you working on/submitting your applications while studying or are you waiting until after your test to start the process? I'm just not sure if I want to submit to a throwaway school when the application opens when I could be utilizing that time to study. For reference, I only have a very rough draft of my PS/ECs and would certainly have to dedicate a lot of time polishing both before submitting.

Question for those testing mid-to-late June. Are you working on/submitting your applications while studying or are you waiting until after your test to start the process? I'm just not sure if I want to submit to a throwaway school when the application opens when I could be utilizing that time to study. For reference, I only have a very rough draft of my PS/ECs and would certainly have to dedicate a lot of time polishing both before submitting.
I plan on taking sometime each day to work on it while studying (maybe during study breaks?).

How is everyone's MCAT prep going?

I actually bought the entire TBR set (all the books and CBT's) and they're quite extraordinary. Obviously, I won't have time to complete it all but I am doing the chapters that I believe to be tested heavily on the MCAT.

I've been doing Metabolic Pathways for the past week and it's quite difficult. The chapters after on Genetics and Gene Expression as well.

I plan on some Organic Chem chapters after that, particularly the Lab Techniques. Followed by reviewing the Psych book.

I'm much more comfortable with physical sciences so if I have time, I'm just going to speed through passages for Physics and Gen Chem (though I do need to go over some stuff in Gen Chem that I forgot, like HH equation for instance).

I also have all of the AAMC material. I think I will start practice tests in 2 weeks. I have 4 TBR CBT's and 3 AAMC CBT's.

I'm testing early June, but I am only focusing on the MCAT right now. I initially told myself that I could balance that and getting my app together, but I can't.

So I currently have a dilemma - I am deciding between two June MCAT dates. I am currently located in Salt Lake and am signed up to take the MCAT June 1st in Cleveland, OH (a family member lives there that I would stay with for the weekend). I will be traveling to San Fran for a month on June 8th, and so it would be much more convenient for me to just take the MCAT in San Fran on June 16th.

I would still submit my primary app June 1st so that it could be verified ASAP and I would just be waiting on MCAT scores to have my app reviewed by schools. Does a July 1st vs. July 17th completion date matter a lot for acceptance, or am I just being neurotic? Thanks for any input.

So I currently have a dilemma - I am deciding between two June MCAT dates. I am currently located in Salt Lake and am signed up to take the MCAT June 1st in Cleveland, OH (a family member lives there that I would stay with for the weekend). I will be traveling to San Fran for a month on June 8th, and so it would be much more convenient for me to just take the MCAT in San Fran on June 16th.

I would still submit my primary app June 1st so that it could be verified ASAP and I would just be waiting on MCAT scores to have my app reviewed by schools. Does a July 1st vs. July 17th completion date matter a lot for acceptance, or am I just being neurotic? Thanks for any input.

Is convenience the only factor involved? Money / stress in getting to Cleveland an issue? Do you think you NEED the extra 16 days to study?
If this is Yes; no / no; not really but extra days are always nice; then I say take it June 1st. However, if you think the score will benefit with that extra time, then that short of a delay, I think, would be worth it.

*Pre-med nontrad = grain of salt.

Last edited:
Hey guys, been struggling coming up with a study plan with the transition.

Here’s what I got:
Took these classes 5 – 7 years ago (c/o 2018 pharmd). Figured I needed to refresh on everything considering, you know, that things like physics are never used again once you finish that class. So I read through most of EK / took notes in book margins or composition notebooks.

Took a diagnostic (NS) and got a 507: 125, 128, 126, 128 (chem/phys; cars; bio; psych/soc)
June 1st MCAT.

Thing is when I look at my notes, the amount I remember is pitiful. I feel such an urge to continue content, or at least work on flashcards or something, anything, to help me retain this stuff. Every day I spend a few hours doing questions on a specific chapter topic and then review the test/quiz. Then, I go into re-reading the content material on things I feel weak in. Resouces: NS, kaplan, EK, and all questions offered by AAMC. Also, doing 10 – 12 hour days consistently. Don’t worry about burnout, pharmacy school is a good way to build endurance.

Okay, so questions:

-Do I say screw it and go head on into all day, every day practice mode? I’ve been hesitant to start AAMC material, wanting to save it till closer to test day so I don't run through them all, bad idea?
-Do I do a mix? If so, proportionally, how much time should I spend on practice vs content (I know its student specific, but help me out here)?
-If/when I study content, what have you found to be most effective? ANKI, re-writing notes, plain re-reading notes? This particular one is absolutely killing me, I feel like I’m stuck in mud because I can’t figure out the right way to go about this.

Thanks in advance

Hey guys, been struggling coming up with a study plan with the transition.

Here’s what I got:
Took these classes 5 – 7 years ago (c/o 2018 pharmd). Figured I needed to refresh on everything considering, you know, that things like physics are never used again once you finish that class. So I read through most of EK / took notes in book margins or composition notebooks.

Took a diagnostic (NS) and got a 507: 125, 128, 126, 128 (chem/phys; cars; bio; psych/soc)
June 1st MCAT.

Thing is when I look at my notes, the amount I remember is pitiful. I feel such an urge to continue content, or at least work on flashcards or something, anything, to help me retain this stuff. Every day I spend a few hours doing questions on a specific chapter topic and then review the test/quiz. Then, I go into re-reading the content material on things I feel weak in. Resouces: NS, kaplan, EK, and all questions offered by AAMC. Also, doing 10 – 12 hour days consistently. Don’t worry about burnout, pharmacy school is a good way to build endurance.

Okay, so questions:

-Do I say screw it and go head on into all day, every day practice mode? I’ve been hesitant to start AAMC material, wanting to save it till closer to test day so I don't run through them all, bad idea?
-Do I do a mix? If so, proportionally, how much time should I spend on practice vs content (I know its student specific, but help me out here)?
-If/when I study content, what have you found to be most effective? ANKI, re-writing notes, plain re-reading notes? This particular one is absolutely killing me, I feel like I’m stuck in mud because I can’t figure out the right way to go about this.

Thanks in advance
I'd mostly do AAMC material. Just make sure you review each question, correct or incorrect. And when you do burn through them, there's so much AAMC material that you're not going to remember every single detail of each question. Many have suggested me to go over AAMC material twice. So the answer is a mix but mostly AAMC. As for study content, Anki has helped me tremendously retain information. SBs/QPacks + Anki is a seal deal for me

I'd mostly do AAMC material. Just make sure you review each question, correct or incorrect. And when you do burn through them, there's so much AAMC material that you're not going to remember every single detail of each question. Many have suggested me to go over AAMC material twice. So the answer is a mix but mostly AAMC. As for study content, Anki has helped me tremendously retain information. SBs/QPacks + Anki is a seal deal for me
How frequently do you use anki? I downloaded the app in my computer but I have never used it and I need a plan urgently to review my flashcards as I have a ton of them(physical flashcards) and I feel I don't have the time to review them. How do you make time for flashcards? Ty

June 16th, not feeling ready...taking a FL tomorrow to see where I am, then decided whether to push on or postpone. Thank goodness finals are next week, then I can study more.

Reactions: 1 users
June 16th, not feeling ready...taking a FL tomorrow to see where I am, then decided whether to push on or postpone. Thank goodness finals are next week, then I can study more.
I feel the same way! I cannot wait to be done with this semester as my classes seem to be in the way of the work that actually matters to me. lol I'm even looking forward to diving into MCAT study!!!

How frequently do you use anki? I downloaded the app in my computer but I have never used it and I need a plan urgently to review my flashcards as I have a ton of them(physical flashcards) and I feel I don't have the time to review them. How do you make time for flashcards? Ty
I use them everyday. most of the time I spent on my phone is for Anki. good to fill in some more studying time.

Just signed up today!
June 2, 2018.
For those in the southwest Florida region, plenty of testing center spots open.

Good luck future docs.

Next Step FL: 502...not great, but I have content review to do. I was up around 505/506 this time last year with the AAMC stuff...use it or lose it.
Balancing content review and practice is rough. Hard to let go of that compulsion for content studying when you don't remember anything from your notes.
Too true, though, not trying to spend an entire year studying just to stay fresh...

I've rescheduled my test for June 16th. I'm basically putting all my free time towards MCAT studying so I'm not going to worry about my application until after I take it.

I'm weary on whether or not to submit without my MCAT score.

Right now my plan is to spend the next 2 weeks finishing up content review. After that, spend the next month on AAMC materials and practice exams. I've taken 2 practice exams already. I plan to take 9 more.

Practice questions are way more important than content review, especially when it comes to C/P and B/B. Most of the time the passage gives you all the info you need. You just need to critically think to get to the correct answer choice.

I know so many people spending hours memorizing every little concept. That is not a smart way to approach MCAT in my opinion.

I've rescheduled my test for June 16th. I'm basically putting all my free time towards MCAT studying so I'm not going to worry about my application until after I take it. I'm weary on whether or not to submit without my MCAT score.

Right now my plan is to spend the next 2 weeks finishing up content review. After that, spend the next month on AAMC materials and practice exams. I've taken 2 practice exams already. I plan to take 9 more.

Practice questions are way more important than content review, especially when it comes to C/P and B/B. Most of the time the passage gives you all the info you need. You just need to critically think to get to the correct answer choice.

I know so many people spending hours memorizing every little concept. That is not a smart way to approach MCAT in my opinion.

So did you read chapters in your prep books while taking notes on unfamiliar concepts during your content review?

Anyone have recommendations on what practice FLs to take without using the AAMC ones just yet?

I might just have enough time to finish 2-3 more, excluding those, and I'm wondering which ones won't throw me too far off track.

Anyone have recommendations on what practice FLs to take without using the AAMC ones just yet?

I might just have enough time to finish 2-3 more, excluding those, and I'm wondering which ones won't throw me too far off track.

I’ve been taking Altius and Next Step exams. I highly recommend Altius. They have really good experimental based passages for C/P and B/B. You can get 1 test or a 5 test package.

Last edited:
Just took my first timed FL from Next Step. I ran out of time on all the sections (which lead to me straight up guessing answers just so I wouldn't leave them incomplete) except for psych, which for some reason I finished with 30m to spare. There's a lot of things I forgot, but since my test is coming up soon, I figured it's the best time to take FL's and study from them instead of going slowly through TBR chapter-by-chapter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 3.17.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 3.17.22 PM.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 140
Just took my first timed FL from Next Step. I ran out of time on all the sections (which lead to me straight up guessing answers just so I wouldn't leave them incomplete) except for psych, which for some reason I finished with 30m to spare. There's a lot of things I forgot, but since my test is coming up soon, I figured it's the best time to take FL's and study from them instead of going slowly through TBR chapter-by-chapter.

That's not a bad score, which NS exam did you take? Also when are you taking the real deal?

That's not a bad score, which NS exam did you take? Also when are you taking the real deal?

I took the free one available online. My exam is on June 2nd. I'm very pleased with Next Step's explanations - they are far better than those from AAMC. I'm thinking of buying all 10.

Three weeks out (June 1st). A practice FL every Monday and Friday.

Should I use all 3 days between each test to review each exam, or 1 day review, 2 days AAMC practice questions? Should I throw in content review?

Currently at 126/131/127/128