The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you feel like this test went differently in comparison to the AAMC's?

Yes I had to skip an entire passage for PS then come back to it. I was just flustered I guess but I'm not giving up just yet

edit: and the VR section was extremely frustrating which is weird because this is one of my strongest subjects. Hope to find a seat soon.

Did you feel like this test went differently in comparison to the AAMC's?
VR was the only section that seemed different to me - you can read my thoughts back a couple pages. But it surprised me because I actually ended up with a decent score after all.

Expect much lengthier passages than AAMC and expect a much greater number of incorporation of info/application questions. The number of straightforward, gimme VR questions is mcuh less on real test.

I ended up with a 7 on the PS section... Is that too low to be considered at MD schools? I got a 10 on BS and 11 on VR so that's pretty good and I have a solid GPA (3.7 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA) but I'm also a white male so that doesn't help acceptance rate wise. Should I look exclusively at DO schools or are some MD schools still within reach?
Hi. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I wish someone had told me in May when I was applying. I I got a 28 on my MCAT the first time, 9/9/10, and I have a 3.9 gpa. I applied to twenty schools this cycle, and I haven't received any interview invites. I spoke with one school's admissions, and she told be straight out my MCAT score was too low. I didn't apply to any DO schools, though. But your best shot is applying DO, and if you really wanted, your own state schools, unless you would consider retaking.
And like someone already suggested, I do know that many schools have a bottom limit for what they will accept for each section. Some that number is 8, many is 9.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS/V/BS: 11/9/12
Total: 32

do you guys think that 9 will hurt me when applying MD or DO?

no

------------

rechecked my score this morning. still a 10/10/10.. i can't believe it lol.

i improved my percentile from ~39.85 to ~75.40!!! (averaging the percentile range they give us for the composite score)

my most improved section in regards to points was a +3 points since last time on PS.
my most improved section in regards to percentile (averaged again) was a 40.95 percentile increase in PS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
/highfive
2/1/3 overhere!

GG!

i am so proud of all of us. just going through the prep and taking the test is hard enough.

reminder:
if you are in the current cycle and applying to DO schools, make sure you release the scores to AACOMAS.
also if you are currently post-interview at a school, wouldn't be a bad idea to update them on your score in case they don't see it from AMCAS or AACOMAS before they make a decision.

Retaking :(

I am in serious need for help !! My mark always drops on the real test compare to the practice test by 2-3 points. Can anyone give me advice on how to overcome this? I always do the practice test as "real test" meaning I stimulate it and treat it the same way. any help would be appreciated.

hey guys...long time lurker...first time posting...

my first attempt at this beast was horrible... 7/8/8
I tried again on Nov 7 and ended up improving 6 points, but I am so worried that was not enough. I ended up with 8/10/11. I am proud of my improvement but very worried. Any advice?

you still have a shot at some MD schools (obviously depending on the rest of your app). you have a very strong chance at DO based on your MCAT.

I would suggest applying day 1 and researching the MD schools you want to apply to via MSAR Online and by doing some self research for the DO schools. I don't really think you'd be limited to any specific DO school unless they have an incredibly strong in state/area bias. A 29 should get you an II at any DO more or less (again.. depending on the rest of your app)

hey @baxt1412, thanks for responding. At this point, I am pretty set on MD, and am willing to do pretty much anything. I went to a top 10 liberal arts school, and have close to a 3.7 GPA. I think my ECs are pretty solid too. I am not opposed to applying broadly either, even if that means applying to 30+ schools. Edit: if it matters, my residence is PA.

I'm not as well-versed with MD schools, especially east coast, but definitely check out MSAR. It will give you median MCAT and GPA, as well as 10th percentile and 90th percentile to give you rough ideas of where your scores fall in their ranges. It is incredibly helpful.

Applying 1st day and broadly will likely get you multiple II. a 29 is not a death sentence.

I'm not as well-versed with MD schools, especially east coast, but definitely check out MSAR. It will give you median MCAT and GPA, as well as 10th percentile and 90th percentile to give you rough ideas of where your scores fall in their ranges. It is incredibly helpful.

Applying 1st day and broadly will likely get you multiple II. a 29 is not a death sentence.

I have a version of the MSAR from 2006... do you think I should get a new one?

I think it's worth it. I think the online version is like $25? I could be completely making that up, but I don't remember it being very expensive. Plus it's accessible anywhere you have an internet connection, very easy to navigate, etc.

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile but haven't posted... I just dropped my seat for Jan 10 in Boston if anyone is looking for a spot.

congrats all on writing this test :)

It's weird... Now that I know I got the score I was hoping for, I'm bothered that I didn't score higher. Maybe it's because my two preferred in-state schools have a median accepted score of 34, and I need a really strong score to help my app. I don't know. I guess it doesn't make any sense without getting into specifics. Just kind of putting my thoughts in writing...

It's weird... Now that I know I got the score I was hoping for, I'm bothered that I didn't score higher. Maybe it's because my two preferred in-state schools have a median accepted score of 34, and I need a really strong score to help my app. I don't know. I guess it doesn't make any sense without getting into specifics. Just kind of putting my thoughts in writing...

ouch that is rough. my state only has 2 schools... but they are both about 10 min from my house :p

they both have averages at 31. but the one doesn't take the 11/7 score as far as I am aware, so I essentially don't have a chance there. plus it's private, so it's definitely my #2 pick.

hey guys...long time lurker...first time posting...

my first attempt at this beast was horrible... 7/8/8
I tried again on Nov 7 and ended up improving 6 points, but I am so worried that was not enough. I ended up with 8/10/11. I am proud of my improvement but very worried. Any advice?
congrats on improving!
How did you prepare for your retake test?
I am going to have to retake mine in January, I have 4 weeks. Any advice or tips on how to study better?
My weakness is PS.

Thank you.

and btw, I think your new score is good enough. of course, one would also have to consider your EC's and cGPA and sGPA. and it depends to which schools (if high tier) you are applying to. if you are strong in these other areas, you could be a competitive applicant. :)

yes, definitely get a new MSAR with updated stats and information. New MSAR also contains the new medical schools that opened up. it will be very helpful when selecting schools to apply to.

hey @baxt1412, thanks for responding. At this point, I am pretty set on MD, and am willing to do pretty much anything. I went to a top 10 liberal arts school, and have close to a 3.7 GPA. I think my ECs are pretty solid too. I am not opposed to applying broadly either, even if that means applying to 30+ schools. Edit: if it matters, my residence is PA.
don't be worried. do your best in each section of the AMCAS application and interviews. I have a feeling you can do well.

congrats on improving!
How did you prepare for your retake test?
I am going to have to retake mine in January, I have 4 weeks. Any advice or tips on how to study better?
My weakness is PS.

Thank you.

and btw, I think your new score is good enough. of course, one would also have to consider your EC's and cGPA and sGPA. and it depends to which schools (if high tier) you are applying to. if you are strong in these other areas, you could be a competitive applicant. :)

So, I took all the TBR tests and also re-did all the AAMCs. I must add though, that my score was definitely inflated. I was averaging 31-33 on the AAMCs. On TBR I averaged 30-31. I also did all the passages in the TBR books for physics, gen chem, and bio. Lastly, for verbal I did the entire TPR hyperlearning workbook. I am working full time in a lab so I studied for about 3 months but only about 3 hours every night. I think it can definitely be done in 4 weeks. Good luck!!

Oh gawd I probably took one of my MCATs with you...

Hey guys, have been lurking around this forum for a while so thought I should finally make an account! I needed some advice actually. Nov 7 was my first MCAT and I made a 30 (10/10/10). Though it's a pretty solid score, this was about 2 points lower than my average. I did some content reviewing over the summer but did quite a bit of studying/practice problems during the school year with a full class load. With school going on it was a lot harder for me to focus on working on the practice problems and I felt just a tad bit rushed, but still OK. Right after I took the exam I thought I did really well and was expecting at least a 32, so the 30 kind of surprised me.

I feel like I definitely have the potential to make a 33+ IF I decide to block out the next 6 weeks til the Jan 23rd mcat (I reserved a spot already in my city). As of now, I'm thinking about diligently studying over break, and if my average for the FL test scores increase by 3-4 points from my current average, I will go ahead with the retake. If it doesn't increase at all or just slightly, I will probably not retake it. What are y'alls opinions? Reason being that I would like to retake with a 30 is because I had some top-tier schools in mind, which have average matriculant MCATs around 33/34. My current GPA is 3.93, I've got over a year of research and over a hundred volunteer hours at the hospital, and hope to have significant shadowing by the end of next semester. I thought it wouldn't hurt to see over break if my practice test scores do significantly improve, since I'll be completely free. Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

Hey guys, have been lurking around this forum for a while so thought I should finally make an account! I needed some advice actually. Nov 7 was my first MCAT and I made a 30 (10/10/10). Though it's a pretty solid score, this was about 2 points lower than my average. I did some content reviewing over the summer but did quite a bit of studying/practice problems during the school year with a full class load. With school going on it was a lot harder for me to focus on working on the practice problems and I felt just a tad bit rushed, but still OK. Right after I took the exam I thought I did really well and was expecting at least a 32, so the 30 kind of surprised me.

I feel like I definitely have the potential to make a 33+ IF I decide to block out the next 6 weeks til the Jan 23rd mcat (I reserved a spot already in my city). As of now, I'm thinking about diligently studying over break, and if my average for the FL test scores increase by 3-4 points from my current average, I will go ahead with the retake. If it doesn't increase at all or just slightly, I will probably not retake it. What are y'alls opinions? Reason being that I would like to retake with a 30 is because I had some top-tier schools in mind, which have average matriculant MCATs around 33/34. My current GPA is 3.93, I've got over a year of research and over a hundred volunteer hours at the hospital, and hope to have significant shadowing by the end of next semester. I thought it wouldn't hurt to see over break if my practice test scores do significantly improve, since I'll be completely free. Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

2 points under your average isn't incredibly surprising especially for the first go around considering anxiety, etc.

Your plan sounds good, if you are anywhere near a 30 DO NOT take it to potentially prevent getting the same or worse which will solidify adcoms thinking 30 is your true score

Since this is the last time you can take the old exam I would just study for the retake, then on test day after you complete the exam decide on how you felt you did on the test. Then you can choose to either void or score the test. It doesn't hurt you to just take the test. That's what I did except I had less than 3weeks tostudy and I was working full time. I didn't feel as confident as I did for my first test , but after taking the test I felt I had a shot at a better score so I scored the test. Make your decision after taking it on the 23rd.

VR was the only section that seemed different to me - you can read my thoughts back a couple pages. But it surprised me because I actually ended up with a decent score after all.

Expect much lengthier passages than AAMC and expect a much greater number of incorporation of info/application questions. The number of straightforward, gimme VR questions is mcuh less on real test.

great...the ones i miss the most. literally sobbing.

just out of curiosity, was the resolution of your computer noticeably different than what you practiced w/at home?
from what i've read, the resolutions are like 1024x768 which make the passages more "zoomed in" looking, meaning more scrolling.

So, I took all the TBR tests and also re-did all the AAMCs. I must add though, that my score was definitely inflated. I was averaging 31-33 on the AAMCs. On TBR I averaged 30-31. I also did all the passages in the TBR books for physics, gen chem, and bio. Lastly, for verbal I did the entire TPR hyperlearning workbook. I am working full time in a lab so I studied for about 3 months but only about 3 hours every night. I think it can definitely be done in 4 weeks. Good luck!!

Thank you! !

great...the ones i miss the most. literally sobbing.

just out of curiosity, was the resolution of your computer noticeably different than what you practiced w/at home?
from what i've read, the resolutions are like 1024x768 which make the passages more "zoomed in" looking, meaning more scrolling.

Yes & yes. I know for a fact that the passages were not longer than later practices because I was able to finish them in the same amount of time, but the resolution is VERY different. Don't let it freak you out. Verbal is seriously a mind game and also a crapshoot.

Test Date: 11/7/14
Time: 8:00 am
FL AAMC Average: 34.5
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 37 (36 and 38)
Post-test expected score: 34
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 39 (12/13/14)

Seriously was not expecting this score. This is my second time taking the test (first one was on 5/22/2014 where I scored a 31 [PS 11/VR 8/BS 12]). Solid score, but I knew I could do better in verbal since I was an English major, lol. I used sn2ed's schedule the first time but this time around I made sure to hone in on my weak areas. And I cannot stress enough the importance of taking practice tests outside of the AAMC full lengths!!! I completed the 7 TBR FLs which helped me immensely. TPRH Science workbook and TBR workbook passages really helped in nailing down the concepts as well. Also read newspaper/journal articles and a few books just to get used to processing blocks of text quickly.

But I think what changed the most was my mindset going into the exam. I was sooo nervous and stressed for the first one and kept thinking that my whole future depended on this one test. It really doesn't. I basically went in this time with a DGAF attitude and treated it more like a fun mental challenge rather than something to be afraid of. So for those retaking the exam, just relax! The MCAT in the grand scheme of things is just one small aspect of your life. Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 9 users
How many questions were you sure you got wrong or how many did you only narrow down to 2 choices for each section?

That was my strategy throughout so I am sort of unsure how to answer your question. I knocked off the two clearly wrong answers immediately unless I was so complete lost the first time reading them that I just skipped and moved on (~8 Qs in Phys, ~5Qs in VR, ~3Qs in Bio). All said there were about 3 questions in phys where I though ok I definitely got that wrong, ~3 in VR, and maybe 1-2 in Bio (for reasons that are touched on below).

I got one question dependent on knowing a unit I had never seen before, and that was the only one where I felt I did not have a sort of reasonable answer. My certainty about my answer generally mirrored my score; i.e. least certain about the choice I was making in VR, felt good about my phys answer despite how hard that section felt, and was nearly positive in bio. I really had luck on my side (thank you based-MCAT) with bio in terms of knowledge base vs. the questions that were drawn. I finished that section with enough time to review almost every answer, never had time for that before!

Seriously was not expecting this score. This is my second time taking the test (first one was on 5/22/2014 where I scored a 31 [PS 11/VR 8/BS 12]). Solid score, but I knew I could do better in verbal since I was an English major, lol. I used sn2ed's schedule the first time but this time around I made sure to hone in on my weak areas. And I cannot stress enough the importance of taking practice tests outside of the AAMC full lengths!!! I completed the 7 TBR FLs which helped me immensely. TPRH Science workbook and TBR workbook passages really helped in nailing down the concepts as well. Also read newspaper/journal articles and a few books just to get used to processing blocks of text quickly.

But I think what changed the most was my mindset going into the exam. I was sooo nervous and stressed for the first one and kept thinking that my whole future depended on this one test. It really doesn't. I basically went in this time with a DGAF attitude and treated it more like a fun mental challenge rather than something to be afraid of. So for those retaking the exam, just relax! The MCAT in the grand scheme of things is just one small aspect of your life. Good luck! :luck:

Congratulations on your score, that's amazing! Currently I'm in the same position as you were when you decided to retake and I've actually also gotten the Berkley Review books and FLs to help prep for the retake, especially because I've exhausted all my FL AAMC exams. Just a question: how accurate was the verbal on Berkeley's FL tests and workbooks in comparison to your actual VR score?

I got a 32 (12/10/10), does anyone know if I still have a chance at any top-20 schools? Went to one of the top ivy leagues for undergrad, taking two years off btw.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your score, that's amazing! Currently I'm in the same position as you were when you decided to retake and I've actually also gotten the Berkley Review books and FLs to help prep for the retake, especially because I've exhausted all my FL AAMC exams. Just a question: how accurate was the verbal on Berkeley's FL tests and workbooks in comparison to your actual VR score?

Thank you!!

The verbal on Berkeley's FLs is actually easier than on the AAMC exams and actual MCAT. While the passages were similar in difficulty, the questions on TBR are much more straightforward. So keep in mind that your verbal scores on the Berkeley exams will be inflated quite a bit. I still thought it was good practice though. And I didn't use the TBR Verbal workbook at all.

Did you already go through EK 101 Verbal and TPRH Verbal Workbook? The latter one is definitely more indicative of the real thing. But if you have, I definitely suggest reading at least one newspaper article everyday and then analyzing the main points. Reading a book you enjoy would be helpful as well! And it's a good study break :)

Also, what's super important for verbal is to not bring in any subconscious biases you might have. I didn't realize I was doing this at first, but that's how some of the answer choices trick you. Read each passage as if your mind was a blank canvas and answer the questions only based on passage information.

I hope this helped!! Best of luck on your retake!

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, it seems like hard-hitters all score lower than their averages come test day.
First, @TBRBiosadist
Now, @lazyindy
I hope the same doesn't happen to @DoctorInASaree

Yeah. Happened to me too. The lowest I scored on an AAMC practice exam (and I took all of them) was a 36.
Never scored less than a 36...highest was a 40. and I end up with...a 32. I've never felt so disappointed or so upset with myself. I feel horrible. :(

Considering retaking, but considering how much I studied and practiced...I don't even see what I could differently. Idk if I should risk taking it a second time and end up with a 32 again or even lower...

*headdesk*

Thank you!!

The verbal on Berkeley's FLs is actually easier than on the AAMC exams and actual MCAT. While the passages were similar in difficulty, the questions on TBR are much more straightforward. So keep in mind that your verbal scores on the Berkeley exams will be inflated quite a bit. I still thought it was good practice though. And I didn't use the TBR Verbal workbook at all.

Did you already go through EK 101 Verbal and TPRH Verbal Workbook? The latter one is definitely more indicative of the real thing. But if you have, I definitely suggest reading at least one newspaper article everyday and then analyzing the main points. Reading a book you enjoy would be helpful as well! And it's a good study break :)

Also, what's super important for verbal is to not bring in any subconscious biases you might have. I didn't realize I was doing this at first, but that's how some of the answer choices trick you. Read each passage as if your mind was a blank canvas and answer the questions only based on passage information.

I hope this helped!! Best of luck on your retake!

Thank you, it helped very much! I just have one more question - did you use up all your AAMC FL's while preparing for the the MCAT the first time you took it? I've used up on all of mine and though I might retake some of AAMC's FLs, I'm not going to really depend on the score I get because it'll be inflated. So I was hoping the Berkeley Review would be a good indicator of my Physical and Biological sciences scores. As for verbal, I have EK 101 & TPRH Hyperlearning verbal and still have quite a few passages left for both of them so I'm definitely planning on using them :)

Thank you, it helped very much! I just have one more question - did you use up all your AAMC FL's while preparing for the the MCAT the first time you took it? I've used up on all of mine and though I might retake some of AAMC's FLs, I'm not going to really depend on the score I get because it'll be inflated. So I was hoping the Berkeley Review would be a good indicator of my Physical and Biological sciences scores. As for verbal, I have EK 101 & TPRH Hyperlearning verbal and still have quite a few passages left for both of them so I'm definitely planning on using them :)

Haha yeah I used all the AAMC FLs for the first one. But I liked the PS/BS sections on the TBR FLs because they were more difficult than the AAMCs, so this time around I felt more prepared to handle harder passages on the actual thing. I think I averaged around 10-11 for PS and 11-12 for BS on the TBR FLs. So you could expect 1-2 points higher in each section on the real thing since the TBR scores will be a little deflated. Of course, that's not for sure. Nothing really beats TBR PS practice! As for TBR Bio, it goes into a lot more detail than I think you'll be expected to know on the MCAT, but I'd rather be overprepared than underprepared.

Retaking some of the AAMC FLs wouldn't hurt! I personally didn't but just went through each of them to fill in any potential content gaps. I think it was helpful doing this like a week or two before the test just to readjust to the MCAT format, especially for verbal!

Last edited:

"But I think what changed the most was my mindset going into the exam. I was sooo nervous and stressed for the first one and kept thinking that my whole future depended on this one test. It really doesn't. I basically went in this time with a DGAF attitude and treated it more like a fun mental challenge rather than something to be afraid of. So for those retaking the exam, just relax! "

^^^This.

This was my third MCAT and it's weird to say but one of the big themes for me was "learning to let go/keep moving forward." We're often taught that anything less than 98% is not ok, which betrays us when engaging this test. As a result some of us get tunnel vision and forget that there are TONS of easy problems left in the section to grab.

I too adopted this oddly responsible "DGAF" mentality and it worked. Stopped caring if I didn't get the hard ones (or the ones my physics prof would die over if he knew I missed them) and challenged myself to see how fast I could get to the end of a section and use the remaining time to check my work. I'm no all star 40 MCAT, but I did manage to boost my score by 6 points by doing this.

TL;DR

*Don't have to be perfect 98% (after all that gold star standard 30 equates to a 66%)

*Keep in mind that your "gut" answers are more-often-than-not; right. So don't get ruffled over a few stubborn questions (that's what they are there for; to slow you down).

$.02

Last edited: