The official rotation thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some positions require a residency

That is true but who knows...something might open up.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get a residency where they rotated? Did you choose that site because you want to increase your chance of getting a residency there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get a residency where they rotated? Did you choose that site because you want to increase your chance of getting a residency there?

Do places still hand out job offer or residency sites? Lol

Yes! I got my job from my rotation site. Now is more important than ever do make connections!

Do you still keep contact with your preceptors? You should!

We are FB friends but not really keep in contact. How do you keep in contact with them?

Yes! I got my job from my rotation site. Now is more important than ever do make connections!

Do you still keep contact with your preceptors? You should!

were your preceptors hiring manager? I think that is also important since some are just clinical staff so they don't make hiring decisions.

were your preceptors hiring manager? I think that is also important since some are just clinical staff so they don't make hiring decisions.

No, they were not but they had great influence since they worked with me and know my work ethics. Point is to take every opportunity to network. You never know who will help you

Reactions: 1 user
anybody from Touro? Does your school offer 2 years of clinical rotations?

No, they were not but they had great influence since they worked with me and know my work ethics. Point is to take every opportunity to network. You never know who will help you

Well said. Personality matters greatly.

How many job offers have you got thru networking?

How many job offers have you got thru networking?

Two so far! Do you keep in touch with your classmates? They are a valuable networking asset

Two so far! Do you keep in touch with your classmates? They are a valuable networking asset

Did you go to local pharmacist meeting? How is the networking there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Networking is essential to getting a job sorry but its true. I had several rotations that wanted to hire me but did not have a position for me, and i am not making that up they straight up told me if they had a job for me i would be hired no question. Which is always good to have job references if need be. I got my first job as a float because one of my preceptors gave me the DMs information and gave them a good recommendation for me. My second job my old boss remembered/and liked me enough to let me know my hometown was hiring and to apply and they wrote me a long recommendation. Two jobs two years out of pharmacy school all due to networking/knowing the right people. And i hated it when school would harp on how important networking was but here i am.

Networking is essential to getting a job sorry but its true. I had several rotations that wanted to hire me but did not have a position for me, and i am not making that up they straight up told me if they had a job for me i would be hired no question. Which is always good to have job references if need be. I got my first job as a float because one of my preceptors gave me the DMs information and gave them a good recommendation for me. My second job my old boss remembered/and liked me enough to let me know my hometown was hiring and to apply and they wrote me a long recommendation. Two jobs two years out of pharmacy school all due to networking/knowing the right people. And i hated it when school would harp on how important networking was but here i am.

Do you go to apha meeting?

No i didnt i mainly just made sure i was known and well liked with professors and preceptors. But i figure the apha meeting can only help you to network more and possibly increase your chances of a job. It cant hurt

No i didnt i mainly just made sure i was known and well liked with professors and preceptors. But i figure the apha meeting can only help you to network more and possibly increase your chances of a job. It cant hurt

Any good fb groups for pharmacists to network?

i dont go to the national meetings but i go to the local meetings. you can also go to independent pharmacy meetings. They are always looking for per diem pharmacists.

i dont go to the national meetings but i go to the local meetings. you can also go to independent pharmacy meetings. They are always looking for per diem pharmacists.

Any fb group do you recommend??

Anyone married his/her preceptor? HAHA

Does anybody have advice on securing rotation sites with hospitals that are not in your school's network? I'm trying to get rotations at hospitals that will help prepare me for a potential residency, but I know that some of these schools already have contracts with area schools of pharmacy, so space for other students is limited. Do I email the corresponding pharmacy departments/preceptors asking them if they have space for a student? Of course, I could attach my CV, etc. so they know a little more about me.

From my experience as a preceptor, I have a simple piece of advice to students that is more important than many give credit - stay alert in meetings. I know many of you are tired, and some may be working on top of rotations. Looking zoned out comes off as unprofessional, disinterested, and just going through the motions - it's especially important if it's a rotation in an area you may want to pursue. Do what you have to do to get enough rest. Yawning shuts doors. The professionals you interact with quickly pick up on it and mentally disengage from helping you as much as they can. Remember, the pharmacy world is small. A lot of you put down preceptor names on your CVs. If a hiring manager is an acquaintance of a former preceptor - chances are good that they'll ask about the applicant. You want to leave the best possible impression. Please don't be lazy about the impression you leave - preceptors want to see you succeed. It may not always seem like that, but many preceptors have pushed hard to get management to approve hosting rotations. They're going out on a limb with a belief that the school and pharmacy students will represent well...and in turn would like to help students unlock their potential. And finally, ask good questions. It's obvious to preceptors when a student has done their research on a topic by the questions they ask. It's just as obvious when a student has just skimmed through something, picked up on a few buzzwords and then try to come up with comments to look like they've done the work. Preceptors are human beings with many priorities on the job - we end up giving our best help to those who show effort and eagerness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Random question. What length evaluations do you guys get? I’ve had one that was a couple sentences and one that was a page long. Also what type of things are put in it?

Random question. What length evaluations do you guys get? I’ve had one that was a couple sentences and one that was a page long. Also what type of things are put in it?

Most of the ones I got as a student were quite short and mostly focused on answering the prompts, like if I was punctual, dressed appropriately, etc. One of my preceptors gave me a lot of verbal feedback to go with the written stuff but most of them just said something like “good job” or whatever and that was that. In general I would say most preceptors don’t give much consideration to giving feedback, at least in my case.

The flip side to this is that most students don’t give good feedback when they do the rotation evaluation. In fact I would go so far as to say the evaluations are trash, probably banged out in less than 2 minutes. Again my sample size is small though.

Yeah it is very unprofessional to sleep during rotation. It might be OK with your professors but not with your preceptors.

What are you guys' thoughts on doing rotations at slower hospitals? I'm choosing rotations now and a majority of them are critical access hospitals that serve between 10-25 patients daily. I know I probably won't learn a ton of stuff but i'll get hands on experience no?

What are you guys' thoughts on doing rotations at slower hospitals? I'm choosing rotations now and a majority of them are critical access hospitals that serve between 10-25 patients daily. I know I probably won't learn a ton of stuff but i'll get hands on experience no?

Not necessarily....depends on your preceptor

What are the job opportunities there?

What are the job opportunities there?
can't comment on this place - but in general these types of hospitals fall into one of two categories since they are most often in out of the way, less than desireable (for many people) areas.
1. High turnover and people rotate in, get experience and leave
2. Fine someone locally who wants the job and sticks around forever

I worked at one that had 18 different directors in 20 years - after I left they have had the same local grad for 14 years