The official rotation thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Once the rotation is completed.

I befriended him anyways! He accepted. Lol

Members don't see this ad.

My school doesn't let students do their rotation at their work site. I was wondering if other schools have this same rule?

My school doesn't let students do their rotation at their work site. I was wondering if other schools have this same rule?

That makes sense. You weren't be learning new things.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school discourages it, they ask that you report where you work when filling out preferences. I know some companies will force you to take a leave of absence from your job while rotating with them.

My school discourages it, they ask that you report where you work when filling out preferences. I know some companies will force you to take a leave of absence from your job while rotating with them.

This is probably true but you have to look at the benefit of getting hired. My place would rather train me while I am still a student for obvious reason. Not having an opportunity to do a rotation at my work place while others can is making it harder for me to be more competitive than other interns from other schools.

Well, it could be a grade issue. Is your preceptor going to be biased towards giving you a better grade if you work with them (and have to see them all the time post reception of that grade)? Or, perhaps biased towards a worse grade because the preceptor would have higher expectations? It always made sense to me to not be able to rotate where you work...seems like asking for trouble.

Well, it could be a grade issue. Is your preceptor going to be biased towards giving you a better grade if you work with them (and have to see them all the time post reception of that grade)? Or, perhaps biased towards a worse grade because the preceptor would have higher expectations? It always made sense to me to not be able to rotate where you work...seems like asking for trouble.

I understand what you are saying but another intern gets to spend 5 weeks with the regular staff at the hospital. My goal is to land a job and my school shouldn't stand in my way.

I'm sure the students that have P/F grades for APPEs feel even more ripped off, Bbed. Even though I couldn't rotate where I work with my school, at least I can improve my GPA during my P4 year. My point being that it could be worse regarding competitiveness...

I'm sure the students that have P/F grades for APPEs feel even more ripped off, Bbed. Even though I couldn't rotate where I work with my school, at least I can improve my GPA during my P4 year. My point being that it could be worse regarding competitiveness...

Do people look at your rotation GPA? Pretty much everyone gets an A

Do people look at your rotation GPA? Pretty much everyone gets an A

I look at the types of rotations. If a student picked all easy rotations and has As, that gets noticed.

If they picked up lots of tough inpatient electives and get Bs, that looks better.

Reactions: 1 user
What exactly would constitute a tougher rotation? Just it being inpatient or are there other factors?

Well, I'm sure Community Pharmacy I, II, and III would constitute easy rotations. Tough, I would think, would be clinical rotation electives, like Cardiology and Infectious Diseases.

Well, I'm sure Community Pharmacy I, II, and III would constitute easy rotations. Tough, I would think, would be clinical rotation electives, like Cardiology and Infectious Diseases.

Does your school really let you take 3 community pharmacy electives?

Members don't see this ad :)
I look at the types of rotations. If a student picked all easy rotations and has As, that gets noticed.

If they picked up lots of tough inpatient electives and get Bs, that looks better.

I think this also depends on the preceptors. Some are hard while others are easy.

Rotations are easy As? Holy hell. Maybe for retail. If you're getting easy As you're doing easy rotations.

Does your school really let you take 3 community pharmacy electives?

Well, community I is required, II and III are electives. In addition to that there are rotations in retail management and pharmacy ownership, too. Plus some others I probably don't know about or care to look up. Basically, if you want all your electives to take place inside a retail store then it's possible. There are still some required rotations (hospital, acute care, and ambulatory care), but it's possible to ride by on mostly retail rotations and, I would think, make A's a lot easier than someone doing several clinical electives.

Rotations are easy As? Holy hell. Maybe for retail. If you're getting easy As you're doing easy rotations.

I should have said they are easy if you are prepare LOL

What are some of the dumb/funny things you have seen or heard students do during rotation?

I had a rotation at a renal transplant clinic. Am care sort of setting. Got to learn a ton about anti-rejection meds that I wouldn't have otherwise. The place only took 2 students per year. I thought it was a pretty awesome rotation.

I had a rotation at a renal transplant clinic. Am care sort of setting. Got to learn a ton about anti-rejection meds that I wouldn't have otherwise. The place only took 2 students per year. I thought it was a pretty awesome rotation.

was it a pharmacist run renal clinic?

Remember to ask your rotation preceptors if they can be your reference when you are applying for a job.

Just wanted to say, one month into this and I'm already so freaking sick of working for free...um...-$19.64/hr.

Just wanted to say, one month into this and I'm already so freaking sick of working for free...um...-$19.64/hr.

Just put a smile on your face and learn all you can. You're paying the dues that the rest of us had to pay before we graduated.

Not only are you working for free but your school may be paying your sites!

Remember to ask your rotation preceptors if they can be your reference when you are applying for a job.

This is a great advise! Employers want references who can speak on your work skills. Keep in touch with your preceptors!

This is a great advise! Employers want references who can speak on your work skills. Keep in touch with your preceptors!

Exactly. Your best chance of landing a job is thru your rotation. It is like a long job interview

get used to it - it is called paying your dues

I figure all pharmacists have to go through it, It's like our hazing in a way before getting a PharmD. It's good experience and it's the time to "make mistakes" and learn from them before getting licensed.

Not to say I'm not upset about having to pay normal tuition for rotations though.

I'm not sure where all the negativity about rotations comes from -- I consider them an awesome opportunity to explore different aspects of pharmacy. Perhaps I'm taking more interesting rotations? Or is it a retail-minded standpoint? I know many students that want to go into retail and for them it seems the rotations are just that frustrating last step before employment.

I'm not sure where all the negativity about rotations comes from -- I consider them an awesome opportunity to explore different aspects of pharmacy. Perhaps I'm taking more interesting rotations? Or is it a retail-minded standpoint? I know many students that want to go into retail and for them it seems the rotations are just that frustrating last step before employment.
it is because to many people (myself probably included) think they already know everything and that they are "free help" as opposed to they are still students that are learning - I have had a couple students that feel they know all they need to know. Those I through to the wolves in the middle of a code or critical situation, I give them about 5 seconds to know the answer, and when I see them freeze like a deer in the head lights I jump in (obviously can't sacrifice patient care to make a point) - usually then the very quickly realize learning is a life long process.

Reactions: 2 users
Mostly because we are treated like free help instead of students who are there to learn.

Reactions: 1 users
Mostly because we are treated like free help instead of students who are there to learn.

And you must pay one year of full tuition. Anybody get a discount for your 4th year?

That may be related to your site choices or your school (or your attitude going into the rotation... :whistle:). Most of my APPEs thus far have been great, with preceptors who seemed to really enjoy teaching the students and making sure we had a worthwhile experience -- However, my only exposure to a retail APPE is the required Community I rotation and I don't have that until February.

That may be related to your site choices or your school (or your attitude going into the rotation... :whistle:). Most of my APPEs thus far have been great, with preceptors who seemed to really enjoy teaching the students and making sure we had a worthwhile experience -- However, my only exposure to a retail APPE is the required Community I rotation and I don't have that until February.

I didn't say that I personally experienced this, but that I know of this to have happened. My rotations have been great so far and I personally have no complaints whatsoever.

If this does happen, is there a process where you can complain to the school? Has anyone ever done this? What was the end result?

If this does happen, is there a process where you can complain to the school? Has anyone ever done this? What was the end result?

No, you are there to do what they tell you, not question them. The fact is that there are good preceptors and bad preceptors out there, just do your job and move on to the next one. Complaining isn't going to do much unless something serious was going on, but that is usually the student being a jerk vs the preceptor.

No, you are there to do what they tell you, not question them. The fact is that there are good preceptors and bad preceptors out there, just do your job and move on to the next one. Complaining isn't going to do much unless something serious was going on, but that is usually the student being a jerk vs the preceptor.
I agree - although I did give some "constructive feedback" where I felt the rotation was listed incorrectly - it was listed as ambulatory care where you can done home infusion, nursing home consulting, nursing home compounding in addition to gaining experience in retail pharmacy. I spent 29 out of the 30 days in a hospital outpatient pharmacy. I let my school know it should be changed to just a standard retail rotation. Ya me, I got two retail rotations :-(

I agree. Unfortunately, you can't simply transfer to another rotation.

Anybody else wants to create a website the provides feedbacks on rotations? LOL

Just want to update everyone! I received a job offer from one of my rotation sites!

I always wanted to ask this question: do you choose certain sites because you think you would have a better chance to meet someone special? lol

I always wanted to ask this question: do you choose certain sites because you think you would have a better chance to meet someone special? lol

No. Not in a million years.

I'm single, but my point still stands. If I wanted to find a girl I'd go outside, not go to my rotation site.

yeah but it is about quality right? you are likely to find someone who is compatible and share similar interests at a hospital vs. at a club.

yeah but it is about quality right? you are likely to find someone who is compatible and share similar interests at a hospital vs. at a club.

Not necessarily.

Why not try meetup.org and find someone with similar interests that way.

I was taught to not **** where you eat. There are other ways for me to go out and meet women that don't involve jeopardizing my education.