***The Official Stony Brook Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Did anyone get a rejection of know how they handle rejections? Is it an email or snail mail?

Last edited:
so do we think they are done with calls for today?

Members don't see this ad :)
please don't say that. can someone please tell me they got called within the last half hour? hahha I'm actually dying here.

still early, no? only 3:50pm on a monday.

Reactions: 1 user
Is today the only date they are giving out calls? Or are they continuing tmr?

Anyone hear anything since dec 1?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Stony Brook has been giving out a lot of post-december interviews yet?

Stonybrook apparently called me back in September 27th for an interview. I unfortunately couldnt pick up the phone. I got no voicemail nor did I receive an email. I called them a few days ago to "Check on my status." I have an interview scheduled for 1/7/15

Patricia Berry just called and offered me a spot but don't think I'll be accepting. Looks like the second round of acceptances is going out... stay tuned :)

did anyone else hear anything yesterday?

Patricia Berry just called and offered me a spot but don't think I'll be accepting. Looks like the second round of acceptances is going out... stay tuned :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS just saw that my portal changed to "invited for interview". Did they say anything during the interviews about changing to in-state tuition after the first yr for oos students?

Fellows, did anyone get interview from Stony Brook? I got an email from its dean of admission, Judith Berhannan. Can anybody tell me if it is an official notice of a coming interview? or just a gesture of receiving application letter? Help Help Help!

Dear XXXX

Thank you very much for your interest in Stony Brook University.

We will be in touch with you shortly to provide you with the details of your special
invitation to visit our campus.

We look forward to meeting you!

Sincerely,

Judith Berhannan
Dean of Admissions
Stony Brook University

Fellows, did anyone get interview from Stony Brook? I got an email from its dean of admission, Judith Berhannan. Can anybody tell me if it is an official notice of a coming interview? or just a gesture of receiving application letter? Help Help Help!

Dear XXXX

Thank you very much for your interest in Stony Brook University.

We will be in touch with you shortly to provide you with the details of your special
invitation to visit our campus.

We look forward to meeting you!

Sincerely,

Judith Berhannan
Dean of Admissions
Stony Brook University

hmm i got an interview invite in november but never got that.

hmm i got an interview invite in november but never got that.

Do you think it's a good idea to directly call them? I got the email before Christmas and replied immediately. Never got any response.

Do you think it's a good idea to directly call them? I got the email before Christmas and replied immediately. Never got any response.

oh, if you got that email that long ago, of course! call them.

interview on 1/30! anyone else interviewing that day?

this might be off-topic, but if you have other choices I would go elsewhere I'm talking from the heart. if you don't think I attend this school just ask anyone from the class of 2018 how horrible Dr.Rice is and how she does not respond to emails and how short our anatomy was and everything was crammed. Just having a terrible experience so far we don't even know the cut offs for grades for our current classes pathogens of and defense, and basic mechanisms of disease I would steer away from this school completely. Everyday I dread my decision, if you are planning on saving money just go to Buffalo, anything other than this place good bless.

Everything is rushed we are basically second hand citizens when compared to medical students, they have people overwatching their schedules dearly. We do not, we always get shafted with grades cut offs, basically everything.

Any advice from those of you that have already interviewed? Mine's coming up on Monday. Thanks!

this might be off-topic, but if you have other choices I would go elsewhere I'm talking from the heart. if you don't think I attend this school just ask anyone from the class of 2018 how horrible Dr.Rice is and how she does not respond to emails and how short our anatomy was and everything was crammed. Just having a terrible experience so far we don't even know the cut offs for grades for our current classes pathogens of and defense, and basic mechanisms of disease I would steer away from this school completely. Everyday I dread my decision, if you are planning on saving money just go to Buffalo, anything other than this place good bless.

Everything is rushed we are basically second hand citizens when compared to medical students, they have people overwatching their schedules dearly. We do not, we always get shafted with grades cut offs, basically everything.
This is every dental school, and most are even worse, there is no such thing as an easy dental school. Consider yourself lucky you have such a small class size and only a few of your professors are tough

This is every dental school, and most are even worse, there is no such thing as an easy dental school. Consider yourself lucky you have such a small class size and only a few of your professors are tough

Lets not derail this thread now. I never said it was supposed to be easy, I know multiple students in other dental schools, and so far their not on rush down curriculum, the medical students take less classes than us and even they are struggling, so it is clearly not a matter of ease but just a matter that we are the guinea pigs for a new curriculum that is in place. Whenever we present the issue to the office of education they don't seem to care or take us seriously for that matter our director is always on vacation. I like how our anatomy was totally finished when NYU was barely on their mid term exam. its not a matter of difficulty but being rushed and paying so much to take summer speed classes is terrible because everything is crammed and forgotten. I'm not responding to anything else as a way to reduce the derailing in this thread, but it was just my 2 cents from a student attending this institution. if you were attending here you would certainly have a different opinion.

Hey if anyone is given an offer of acceptance this week or in the next few weeks please post the day you got the offer, thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys does anyone know when the last day of interviews is?

Is there an official fb page for SBU Class 2019 yet?

Yup :) cant wait to meet the class
Hello! Just curious if you are IS or OOS ? Also when did u interviewed ? I did mine on Jan 16 th and no word yet.... I got 3 other acceptances but would prefer SB ...... Do u think it worth calling them since it's already a month since interview ?

Hello! Just curious if you are IS or OOS ? Also when did u interviewed ? I did mine on Jan 16 th and no word yet.... I got 3 other acceptances but would prefer SB ...... Do u think it worth calling them since it's already a month since interview ?
Most likely they won't tell you anything. I interviewed in October and inquired to see what my status was and they said a second round of acceptances would be going out in February and then they would make the wait list from there.. Then we would hear.

They told us at my interview that they would be sending out offers every two weeks after they received all of the decisions from those who had been given offers already

I just got accepted to Stony Brook! It is my top school and I am so overly thankful! I got the offer by email!

I just got accepted to Stony Brook! It is my top school and I am so overly thankful! I got the offer by email!
Congrats!!! Haha that's awesome I'm praying I get in too!!! When did you have your interview??

Thank you! I interviewed in October. Best of luck guys!

Is there an official fb page? I didn't see one when I searched it?

However, I did get an email for the class of 2019 about a week ago. I counted that it went to 30 email addresses.. So there should be like 10-12 spots left :)! Good luck to everyone.

However, I did get an email for the class of 2019 about a week ago. I counted that it went to 30 email addresses.. So there should be like 10-12 spots left :)! Good luck to everyone.
Really? Which one? I was accepted but didn't receive anything in the past week

Really? Which one? I was accepted but didn't receive anything in the past week

Did you send in your acceptance statement and deposit yet? It was about summer research. I'm sure they'll send it again once the class is filled so that everyone knows :) I wouldnt worry.

Dentapp and I started a facebook page for the class of 2019! Feel free too search it if you're planning on attending :)

Dentapp and I started a facebook page for the class of 2019! Feel free too search it if you're planning on attending :)
Long time lurker on these forums, I'll be joining you all in Long Island next year. What did you title the Facebook group? I haven't been able to find it.

Awesome, whats the page name? I searched Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Class of 2019 and got nothing

Lets not derail this thread now. I never said it was supposed to be easy, I know multiple students in other dental schools, and so far their not on rush down curriculum, the medical students take less classes than us and even they are struggling, so it is clearly not a matter of ease but just a matter that we are the guinea pigs for a new curriculum that is in place. Whenever we present the issue to the office of education they don't seem to care or take us seriously for that matter our director is always on vacation. I like how our anatomy was totally finished when NYU was barely on their mid term exam. its not a matter of difficulty but being rushed and paying so much to take summer speed classes is terrible because everything is crammed and forgotten. I'm not responding to anything else as a way to reduce the derailing in this thread, but it was just my 2 cents from a student attending this institution. if you were attending here you would certainly have a different opinion.

I feel you. It's a rough, rough program and I've had my share of moments where I struggle to stay positive. Whoever you are, I know you're a smart person (our class size is only 42 people - so I can say that without hesitation) so please keep your head up and persist on. I know you can do it.

That said, I feel that you are wrong in some of things you have said, and for the sake of people considering coming to Stony Brook next year, I want to provide another side of the story:

1. Dr. Rice is the course director of our dental morphology course, which covers basic introductory information and waxing. She very rarely answers emails; I'll give you that. But she has made herself more than available during the week to help our class with our wax ups, sometimes staying late in the evening. All anyone has to do is pop by the dental school and find her in her office or in the GPR clinic. I think her strict demeanor puts a lot of people off, but as a teacher, I thought she was fine.

2. Anatomy was shortened from over 3 months, to just over 2 months without sacrificing any course content and it was hard. Some weeks had five dissections in a week, with each dissection potentially taking 3-4 hours to complete. But the test averages were more than adequate, indicating that the course was still reasonable, or we just have a really damn smart class (or both). Plug for anyone considering Stony Brook: Dr. Krause is the man.

3. There were no cutoffs for the Pathogens and Host Defense course because there was literally no data to give them any indication of what the cutoffs should be (it's a new course). Once they saw how our class was performing, they set the cutoffs. Personally I think the cutoffs are harsh, but then again dental school isn't easy and the standards are set high.

4. Why compare us to the medical students? We take classes with them, but how they perform does not affect us. Our curriculum is different from their curriculum. We have a heavier schedule than they do in first year (as is the case at every dental school in the country), and therefore, our standards and grade cutoffs are lower than theirs. (For instance, to receive the top grade in biochemistry, medical students must have a 92 average, whereas dental students must have an 85 average). Also, what's the evidence that the medical school is struggling? Their averages are generally very high.

5. Aside from our class's guessing and speculation that the office of education doesn't take us seriously, how do we know that they're simply brushing us off? There are many things that we've discussed with the administration (and I agree with a lot of them), but how much can the dental school actually do? The didactic courses are determined by the medical school and we have no choice but to go along with it. They're not going to suddenly revamp the curriculum in the middle of the academic year. It sucks (a lot) that we're the guinea pigs for the new curriculum, but I don't doubt that they will be making changes next year based on our class's performance.

For what it's worth, our associate dean of education has been on vacation once this year. Let's not exaggerate facts to create a scapegoat.

Reactions: 1 users
SBUD , could you please contact me directly ? Really appreciate it.